Non-motoring > HTC Desire - can't hear caller Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Focusless Replies: 9

HTC Desire - can't hear caller - Focusless
Rather than leave Mrs F's old HTC Desire gathering dust in a drawer, a colleague at work kindly unlocked it and I gave it to a friend to try out prior to (hopefully) purchasing it.

However, friend reported that when in a call she couldn't hear the caller, although it's ok on speaker. Changing the volume doesn't make any difference, and I've tried a factory reset. It was ok when Mrs F last used it, but that was about 6 months ago.

Google suggests it's probably just a hardware fault, but I thought I'd run it past the panel just in case; any suggestions?

If it can't be fixed I'll just put it on ebay as faulty, with a 99p starting price.
Last edited by: Focusless on Sat 17 May 14 at 12:34
 HTC Desire - can't hear caller - Stuartli
Not an uncommon problem with the Desire models it seems. One solution that apparently worked was to install this app:

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.smartandroidapps.audiowidget&feature=search_result

Otherwise it could be tied up with a Bluetooth issue.....:-(
Last edited by: Stuartli on Sat 17 May 14 at 13:08
Thanks, but didn't help.

Had a go at updating Android 2.2.2 to CyanogenMod
www.cyanogenmod.org/
in the hope it might help, but their installer app won't install (step 3). Tried Unrevoked3 'painless root and reflash', but I get an error installing that as well.

I'm too old for this sort of thing :)
Last edited by: Focusless on Sat 17 May 14 at 17:21
>> Had a go at updating Android 2.2.2 to CyanogenMod
>> www.cyanogenmod.org/

Ah - just read the Desire-specific bit 'This device does not support the newest version of CyanogenMod'...
 HTC Desire - can't hear caller - No FM2R
Had a similar thing on my HTC. It was the headphone socket. A shot of WD40 and some vigorous jiggling of a headphone plug sorted it.
 HTC Desire - can't hear caller - Manatee
Pal of mine has an iPhone with that problem - I'll tell him. Perhaps worth trying contact cleaner first, plus the wiggling. Having seen the innards of an iPhone I'd be sparing with the WD40.
Thanks Mark - just the vigorous jiggling, as much as I dare anyway, doesn't seem to have helped. I'm ashamed to say I don't think there's any WD40 in the house at the moment.

Now started playing with son's old HTC Wildfire, also gathering dust - I'm determined to root at least one phone this evening :)
Just been setting up my old Wildfire S again after giving it to my best mate...!! Cracking little phone but can't do some things that more up to date models can achieve, so acquired an HTC One X a couple of years ago.
 HTC Desire - can't hear caller - rtj70
>>HTC One X a couple of years ago.

A good phone. The HTC One is much better IMO. I had the One X until I swapped it for the One.
>>A good phone. The HTC One is much better IMO. I had the One X until I swapped it for the One.>>

The One X does everything I require and, what's more, it has a better camera...:-) Not far off overall, in fact, the quality of my Nikon DSLR....
Latest Forum Posts