Non-motoring > Electric toothbrushes Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 31

Electric toothbrushes - legacylad
Never had one, but often wondered about getting one. I saw a selection of Oral Bs in T'Asda yesterday, priced at up to £60. Does anyone have any opinions please?
 Electric toothbrushes - Runfer D'Hills
The hygienist ( aka chief torturer ) at my dentists says I should buy one. I just wonder how lazy you have to be to need one.
 Electric toothbrushes - rtj70
It's not lazy to have one. They make a difference IMO. The one I have is the more basic Oral B one but there are often offers on the better ones (e.g. half price so about £50 for the top of the range).
 Electric toothbrushes - borasport
My dentist recommended Philips sonicare brushes quite a while ago now. He was flogging them at nearly £100 a throw. May explain why the last time I saw him was at Costco loading his wifes brand new Porsche Cayenne with barbecue supplies, then she drove of in that and he got into the Ferrari at the side of it...
So we bought the brushes from costco for two thirds of what he was asking, and they can I think, be got for less now
And if I go away for a day and stick an old fashioned manual toothbrush in the washbag, believe you me, I can tell the difference.
Given a choice between losing the power tools in the garage and the electric toothbrush,the power tools might have to go
 Electric toothbrushes - Manatee
Much more effective than the Manuel variety. Philips Sonicare rechargeables have been OK.
 Electric toothbrushes - Robin O'Reliant
I got my rechargeable sonic brush in Aldi for £22 with eight spare heads.
Last edited by: Robin O'Reliant on Fri 16 May 14 at 23:08
 Electric toothbrushes - Ted

I just put me teeth in a cup of bleach now and again !
 Electric toothbrushes - bathtub tom
My dentist recommended any electric toothbrush with an oscillating, circular head. I believed him, because he didn't try to recommend some expensive, over-hyped junk

I use Wisdom battery operated ones, they last a few years and cost around a fiver. Forget the re-chargeable ones, they only last a short while when charged (they've got a transformer and charging gubbins inside taking up space of a battery). Batteries are dirt cheap.
 Electric toothbrushes - zookeeper
just running my tongue around my mouth, yep 5 empty holes ... so 20 plus are still mine but 10 of them are full of mercury amalgum , that will do the damage probably heavy metal to the cranium ... explains my music bias
 Electric toothbrushes - Stuartli
You can buy branded electric toothbrushes (battery powered) from around £5 at discount outlets such as Save, B and M that will do exactly what you require. Just use them with rechargeable batteries...:-)

One offer, but now out of date:

www.hotukdeals.com/deals/hammer-electric-toothbrush-2-49-b-m-1685824
Last edited by: Stuartli on Sat 17 May 14 at 00:08
 Electric toothbrushes - Stuartli
Superdrug examples:

www.superdrug.com/oral-b-pulsar-40-medium/invt/267511
 Electric toothbrushes - WillDeBeest
We have three Braun-Oral B brushes between the four of us. (We use our own heads, of course; they're colour coded.) Paid no more than £20 for any of them, through 'half price' offers from Tesco and Amazon. As always, you can gauge the true price of an item from the 'special offers' it attracts.
 Electric toothbrushes - Slidingpillar
I use an Oral B one. I did look on the Boots website, but could not immediately recognise what I've got. You do need to consider the availability of spare/new heads, and that was why I went for the brand.

As far as I can see, it's a strange market with loads of offers all over the place, so you should looking on the MRP as a source of amusement, not a realistic estimate of what you might spend.
 Electric toothbrushes - sherlock47
I suspect the manufacturers have adopted the Gillette* model of marketing/pricing their products. If you change the heads at the 'recommended ' periods it works out to be an expensive proposition. Keep your eyes open for special deals on the heads, not the body!

I am an Oral B user, and they have proved pretty relaible over the last 10 years or so. But beware of compatability issues on the bases/chargers there seem to be at least 2 different shapes/sizes which are not interchangeable.

*I (and I suspect a lot of other people ),have always known it by this title, but wiki tells me otherwise :)
Last edited by: sherlock47 on Sat 17 May 14 at 09:34
 Electric toothbrushes - maltrap
I bought a battery operated Oral B from Wilkinsos for less than a tenner, it' been excellent, the replacement heads were about £7 for 3. I'd certainly recommend having a look in Wilkinsons if you can.
 Electric toothbrushes - Ambo
Take care if you have a heart problem. I have a pacemaker and the best dental hygienist brushes are high frequency and could be dangerous for me. I am confined to older gear which is more painful.
 Electric toothbrushes - CGNorwich
Easier to drop them in the Steradent and leave them overnight. A spare pair for best is useful.
 Electric toothbrushes - Cliff Pope
> A spare pair for best is useful.
>>

Keep them in a special velvet-lined box, and swap over discreetly after the main course before the pudding arrives. Have a good swill of the wine before removing.

Sorry, I can't take a toothbrush thread seriously. Or perhaps floss is the word.
 Electric toothbrushes - Pat
I'm surprised there is anyone on here young enough to have teeth still.

Surely a thread about Steradent and Polygrip would have more appeal?

It's all smoke and mirrors.

Pat
 Electric toothbrushes - PeterS
>> I'm surprised there is anyone on here young enough to have teeth still.
>>

:-)

Is now the time to say I don't even have any fillings...
 Electric toothbrushes - Skip
>> >> I'm surprised there is anyone on here young enough to have teeth still.

>> Is now the time to say I don't even have any fillings...
>>

Yeh, but your a mere youngster compared to most on here !
 Electric toothbrushes - swiss tony
>> >> I'm surprised there is anyone on here young enough to have teeth still.
>> >>

>>

So, how do you eat with just your gums? Soup? ;-)
 Electric toothbrushes - Cliff Pope

>>
>> So, how do you eat with just your gums? Soup? ;-)
>>

Implants, dear boy.
 Electric toothbrushes - Alanovich

>>

Me too, PS. 44 years and no fillings. Never been near an electric toothbrush. Been using Lidl/Aldi 59p toothpaste for years now too.
 Electric toothbrushes - ToMoCo
Nor does this guy have any fillings and he uses 59p toothpaste :-D

www.caufields.com/productimages/Halloween/80/Images/80_50000.jpg
 Electric toothbrushes - Dog
>>44 years and no fillings. Never been near an electric toothbrush. Been using Lidl/Aldi 59p toothpaste for years now too.

Give us a nice big smile in 20 years time vić ... if you dare.
 Electric toothbrushes - VxFan

Nor did I until I started going to the dentist.

>> Nor did I until I started going to the dentist.
>>

Fortunately I do still have a dentist, and go reasonably frequently. Well I say frequently, on my dentist's advice I don't need to go more than once a year. And there was a 10 year gap from my early twenties to early thirties.

I do generally use Colgate disposable electric toothbrushes...

But apart from that ;-)
Last edited by: PeterS on Mon 19 May 14 at 17:30
 Electric toothbrushes - Mike H
Another vote for electric brushes, teeth certainly feel cleaner after using them. We've used Oral B from the beginning around 10 years ago, they seem to last well. Mine stopped holding a charge around a year ago, so I got a new unit minus charger from Ebay. Works a treat, and lasts longer between charges than the last one. Bought the last set of heads in Superdrug when they were half price, around £9 for 4. Heads last me about 3 months - but I do use a normal toothbrush at night, can't be faffed with the electric one as it takes longer than I want to spend when I'm ready for bed.
 Electric toothbrushes - Ted

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lTMiQsMH1g
 Electric toothbrushes - FocalPoint
I would not be without an electric toothbrush and have used Oral Bs in various incarnations for years. When I managed to leave one behind after a stay abroad a few months ago and had to brush by hand until the replacement arrived, I didn't feel my teeth were anywhere near as clean.
Latest Forum Posts