Non-motoring > Good things come in smaller packages - or do they? Buying / Selling
Thread Author: WillDeBeest Replies: 26

Good things come in smaller packages - or do they? - WillDeBeest
We had some Walls caramel ice cream last week. The top was decoratively shaped into mountain peaks, and the tub had a new high-rise lid to cover them. Only when I looked underneath, curious about the ingredients, did I notice that where I was expecting to see '1 litre' it said '900 ml'. So, bigger box, less ice cream. Not impressed.

(The ice cream was revolting, incidentally; overpowering taste of coconut, hence my curiosity about the ingredients.)

Is there much of this going on? I've noticed it in Nivea deodorant sprays (150ml instead of 200) and sticks (40 ml instead of 50). Not only do I not like being taken for a mug, but this move is going the wrong way in terms of reducing the amount of packaging per product. Any more examples?
 Good things come in smaller packages - or do they? - Alanovich
Simple solution. Don't buy "brands". Check out Aldi. Oh, sorry, no Aldi in WDHs.

;-)

Actually, Lidls usually have some lovely varieties of continental ice creams at silly prices, when you compare them to inferior, marketed, branded goods.
 Good things come in smaller packages - or do they? - Roger.
Despite being an ALDI fan, I have to agree that LIDL's ice cream is better as is their jam, marmalade & bog-paper!
...jam, marmalade & bog-paper

Is that a sandwich? A bacon, lettuce & tomato for the hard up Ukipper?
};---)
 Good things come in smaller packages - or do they? - Duncan
>> Simple solution. Don't buy "brands". Check out Aldi. Oh, sorry, no Aldi in WDHs.
>>

OK. I'll buy it.

Who, what or where is WDHs?
 Good things come in smaller packages - or do they? - No FM2R
>WDHs?

Something like Wannabe Designer Hellhole (could have been hovel).. I think.
 Good things come in smaller packages - or do they? - Alanovich
>> >WDHs?
>>
>> Something like Wannabe Designer Hellhole (could have been hovel).. I think.
>>

Yes, sorry folks. It is my creation, partly a reaction to my failing to understand WilldeBeest's references to his car as an LEC for a very long time. I described his home town as a Wannabe Designer Hellhole (I don't like it much, seems to be full of pretentious social-climber show-off types to my eye, WdB himself excepted of course, he seems a thoroughly grounded chappie), and it got initialised.
 Good things come in smaller packages - or do they? - Focusless
Reasonably interesting programme 'Food Inspectors' on BBC last night looked into ice cream amongst other things.
www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0446qyt/food-inspectors-series-3-episode-1

Did a comparison of the proper stuff (ie. actually made from dairy products) and cheapo varieties - latter typically contains a lot of air because it's cheap and gives it the appealing (to most) fluffy texture.

Somewhat surprisingly the food scientist said he'd take the cheap stuff because of the lower fat content (6% vs 21%) and wasn't concerned about all the non-dairy ingredients/additives.

Anyway, getting back to your question, I tend to look at the 'price per X' figure to get some idea of the relative cost of stuff. I did notice when one of the branded margarines sneakily went from 500g to 400g packs, especially as Asda's price per kg figure was still based on the assumption it was 500g.
 Good things come in smaller packages - or do they? - Ted

We use Canderel sweeteners. ( I know my Aspartame raddled brain tells me to drink my coffee unsweetened...but I can't )

We buy a box of 500 and put then into the empty ' clicker thingy ' we've already got. I noticed some months ago that when clicking one out, we often got 2 or even 3 farted out. A new clicker next time sorted this major domestic problem out.

So, they must have sneakily reduced the tablet size. They used to be over a fiver for a 500 box. They've been three quid at Tesco for a while. Same stuff last week was £4.29.......swines !

All sorts of other stuff is smaller now........particularly various chocolate and snack bars. Penguins are almost invisible !
Yes, the chocolate bar thing is certainly true, and the sugar-pedlars have the cheek to say they've done it for the good of our health. Never mind that they've kept on charging the same price for a smaller product!
 Good things come in smaller packages - or do they? - Pat
Beware if you are a fan of Walkers Deep Ridged crisps, there are only 5 packets in a 'bag of six' now.

.....You know what I mean!

Pat
 Good things come in smaller packages - or do they? - Duncan
>> a fan of Walkers Deep Ridged crisps,

Nah!

Either Kettle Chips, or these:-

tinyurl.com/lhpr8ww

From Aldi.
 Good things come in smaller packages - or do they? - VxFan
>> there are only 5 packets in a 'bag of six' now.

And probably only 5 crisps in each bag knowing Walkers.
 Good things come in smaller packages - or do they? - henry k
.... did I notice that where I was expecting to see '1 litre' it said '900 ml'. So, bigger box, less ice cream. Not impressed.

Perhaps you should be....

I have lots of said boxes, many are years old, and use them for storage etc.
A quick check of the labels - variously 430/900, 450/900, 480/900, 500/900.
Only one says 500/1Le

I too was expecting less for the same price.

So many products have downsized.
We have always transferred Wheatabix to a tall type Tupperware box.
It used to be a squeeze getting them in but now it is so easy.

Good things come in smaller packages - or do they? - Runfer D'Hills
Hello Henry !
 Good things come in smaller packages - or do they? - Slidingpillar
My goat has been got with the fact they no longer make bath size (ie big) bars of Imperial Leather soap and have reduced the bar size from 125 to 100 grams of the ordinary size.

So that means effectively I waste more soap as I can't produce a bit to stick on another bar.
 Good things come in smaller packages - or do they? - Haywain
"My goat has been got with the fact they no longer make bath size (ie big) bars of Imperial Leather soap"

Yep, we'd noticed that they disappeared a few years ago. My ol' man used to use the big bars in the pit-head baths at the colliery where he worked.
 Good things come in smaller packages - or do they? - Runfer D'Hills
I used to like Wrights Coal Tar soap. My wife refuses to buy it though. Says she can't bear the smell of it. As it would involve me entering a supermarket or similar centre of despair I don't seem to have had any for decades.
 Good things come in smaller packages - or do they? - bathtub tom
I've got no problem sticking the remnant of the old Imperial Leather to the new one. I last got a multi-pack in Wilkinsons.

I use coal tar soap in the Summer months (just started) as an insect repellent. It ain't as good as it used to be. I understand they discovered one of the ingredients was carcinogenic!
Also obtained from Wilkinsons.

Nb. I get bitten a lot by insects. I use a Deet repellent if I'm out in the evening this time of year and 'B' complex tablets abroad. Anyone recommend other solutions (citronella DOESN'T work for me)?

Never got used to these new-fangled shower gels, they never seem to rinse off.
 Good things come in smaller packages - or do they? - sherlock47
>>Nb. I get bitten a lot by insects. I use a Deet repellent if I'm out in the evening this time of year and 'B' complex tablets abroad. Anyone recommend other solutions (citronella DOESN'T work for me)?<<<

Try some of the Craghoppers Nosilife items. They are not cheap at RRP but do seem to work. I would suggest you try a T shirt first as they are often available at special offer prices, before moving onto shirts and trousers.
 Good things come in smaller packages - or do they? - Ted

I like Coal Tar as well but , like Humph, I get reprimanded for the smell. I can't shower 'cos of me balance so I always bathe. I've stopped using soap now......I use Foamburst bath gel.

The other advantage is that you don't get a scummy ring of fat from the soap round the bath .

Means I don't have to spend long cleaning it out before I hang it back on it's nail in the outside privvy !
So you've got another one to keep the coal in, Ted? There's posh for you.
}:---)
Henry's quite right about the ice cream containers. I checked some of those we use the same way he does - Tesco brand as well as Carte d'Or - and they're all 900ml. Perhaps they always were; I still suspect not.
 Good things come in smaller packages - or do they? - henry k
Wagon Wheels.

Size matters?

What do you remember about them? Check it out!
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wagon_Wheels
 Good things come in smaller packages - or do they? - PeterS
>> Henry's quite right about the ice cream containers. I checked some of those we use
>> the same way he does - Tesco brand as well as Carte d'Or - and
>> they're all 900ml. Perhaps they always were; I still suspect not.
>>

Though 900ml is, in round numbers, 2 pints isn't it? So perhaps they were after all - a legacy of pre metric measures!

Edit: or am I thinking grammes/pounds? Born in 1971 you see, so I'm metric :-)
Last edited by: PeterS on Sat 17 May 14 at 10:43
907g is two pounds. Two pints is 1136ml. I work in metric too, as we all should by now, but that's for another thread.

Birds Eye peas are another example. What used to be 2kg is now 1.8kg. Sadly they are still the only frozen peas worth buying, although I expect someone will tell us we can get the best peas ever for nothing at Aldidl.
 Good things come in smaller packages - or do they? - Slidingpillar
I work in both imperial and metric. Partially due to the fact all the teaching at primary level was imperial, and when I went to secondary school, they expected me to have been taught in metric. Not that anyone helped though!

On the bright-side though, I never had the decimetre foisted upon me as the unit appears to only exist to give teachers something to do.
Latest Forum Posts