Non-motoring > What's the appropriate punishment ? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: borasport Replies: 11

What's the appropriate punishment ? - borasport
Does he need punishment or treatment ?

tinyurl.com/k6abuun

I'm inclined to think a day in the stocks might be the answer. No throwing solids though, don't want to hurt him
 What's the appropriate punishment ? - Alanovich
Whence the link? DM?

here

www.wigantoday.net/news/local/vile-troll-faces-jail-over-stab-message-1-6619907
 What's the appropriate punishment ? - VxFan
>> here

Tinyurl (and other url shorteners) are really only meant for extra long links (and to mask where the real link is going to take you). I certainly wouldn't class the "wigantoday" link as being neccesary to shorten.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 16 May 14 at 12:49
 What's the appropriate punishment ? - Manatee
Aren't yumans disappointing.
 What's the appropriate punishment ? - Lygonos
24 hours in a glass cage wearing a pink "I am a nonce" T-shirt in the town centre?
 What's the appropriate punishment ? - MJM
Why don't they just have a drop down box of preselected messages, ready censored?
Stops any "unsuitable" postings, doesn't it.

Now where has free speech, within the laws of slander etc gone?
Last edited by: MJM on Fri 16 May 14 at 13:10
 What's the appropriate punishment ? - Armel Coussine
Ban such people from the internet as far as possible. Perhaps prosecute the operators of any email address or website used for posting such messages, to make people less offhand about letting others use their computers.

None of this would be hermetic. But those who want nastily to harass total strangers should be harassed by everyone else as far as possible. Might have an effect over time.

>> But those who want nastily to harass total strangers
>> should be harassed by everyone else as far as possible. Might have an effect over
>> time.
>>
Hence my thought that perhaps sticking him in the stocks and collecting all the 1950's style, pinafored, bescarfed, outspoken housewives and grandmothers, from Leeds or Wigan or whereever, and letting them tell him exactly what they thought of him for a full 24 hours.

Women like that used to frighten the daylights out of me when I was young, and most of them only ever stopped expressing forceful opinons in order to either sleep or take another drag on a woodbine
 What's the appropriate punishment ? - Haywain
Unfortunately, these bizarre scumbags exist; I've been acquainted with one ever since my wife's friend was daft enough to adopt him. They don't know the difference between right and wrong, reality and fantasy and what and what is not acceptable to 'normal' people. They are a waste of time, space, oxygen, and money; they occupy a disproportionate amount of police, social worker, and educator time and cost the taxpayer a fortune.

Before ratboy reached 18 years, he was well-known to the police and I had been down to the police station on a couple of occasions to act as an 'appropriate adult' after he had been sending vile, threatening Facebook messages to a 'mentally-challenged' girl in the next town. He is now 19 and has just become a father; his 'woman' is a 29 year-old who has already had one child taken away from her. They are now, apparently, 'trying for another'.

My wife (a qualified special needs teacher) was asked to do a 'WRAT' general ability test on him (at 19); he emerged as having a mental age of between 8-9 years. A few months later, a psychologist independently, and using a different assessment, came to the same conclusion. He is not 'clever' in the accepted sense, yet he has learned how to use social media.

Neither the police, the social services nor the legal authorities have a clue what to do with him. As a simple biologist, my answer would be sterilisation.
 What's the appropriate punishment ? - Armel Coussine
I questioned my modern-sector nephew and niece-in-law on this over dinner tonight (pizzas, made from the ground up, cooked in an open-air pizza oven, OK thanks).

They said you can't get people banned from the internet. The only thing to do is report all such incidents to the police immediately. May not always get a result, but better than nothing.
 What's the appropriate punishment ? - MJM
At what point does this become censorship? By implication some comments are judged foul/inappropriate/whatever and some are at the other end of the spectrum. Somewhere in between there must be a grey area or a do not cross this line. My problem is that someone has to define this grey area or draw the line. This is the path to the regulating of free speech with the obvious mission creep that follows any regulation.
I’m not saying that I approve of the behaviour of the person involved because I don’t but the possible alternative of total censorship is, in my opinion, just as bad.
Latest Forum Posts