Non-motoring > England world cup team announced Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 21

England world cup team announced - bathtub tom
It brought a wry smile to my lips when the team were announced at the site of their sponsors: Vauxhall motors, Luton.

It was described as a car manufacturing plant!

To the best of my knowledge they've only been assembling Renault vans there for years, although they do stick Vauxhall badges on them.

Wouldn't it be ironic if France win the world cup?
 England world cup team announced - R.P.
Vauxhall Conference still going ? I don't follow the game so I wouldn't know. I think they sponsor the home internationals as well.
 England world cup team announced - sooty123
I think it's the unibond/loctite/evostick league, something to do with glue anyway.
 England world cup team announced - Haywain
The Conference league was sponsored by Blue Square Bet, but now it's 'Skrill'.

The Evostik League is the northern one sponsoring the divisions at steps 3 and 4 of the non-league pyramid.

Sponsorships change from one season to the next but, anything you might want to know is on here www.footballwebpages.co.uk

I have an interest in non-league football, but don't give a monkey's about the Premier League and all that razzamatazz. I can't get too excited about the England team either.
 England world cup team announced - Roger.
I do and will, remain in complete and happy ignorance of the soccer cup, world or not.
Now the Rugby World Cup - that's a horse of a different colour!
 England world cup team announced - Robin O'Reliant
Shame he didn't have the courage to kick Rooney out. He never plays well in tournaments and I get the impression his sulks have a bad effect on the rest of the squad.
 England world cup team announced - Armel Coussine
Hands off the spud-faced nipper RO'R... he's sensitive, you'll put him off. Let's hope his training on holiday will have given him back some form.

I know nothing of footy but some Manchester City bloke scored a mind-bogglingly brilliant high long goal on the telly yesterday. I trust he will be in the squad. Foreign bloke I think.

Why is everyone so ostentatiously unpatriotic? It's like this boastful atheism. There's something wrong with the British if you ask me. I'll be quietly and ignorantly rooting for, er, our lads for as long as they last down there.

Brasiw! Brasiw!
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Tue 13 May 14 at 16:44
 England world cup team announced - Ted

some Manchester City bloke ????

You're talking of Men here...men of a God-like stature !

3 hail Marys and wash yo mouf out with soap and water !

Pah !
 England world cup team announced - Armel Coussine
>> Pah !

Calm down Horatio, I'm not dissing your grimy northern metropolis or its god-like footer players, far from it.

Even I could see that goal was sublime. Probably a fluke really though.
 England world cup team announced - No FM2R
Manchester City have a Chilean Manager.

How many times a week do you think I hear that?
 England world cup team announced - ....
I read a preview last week reckoned England won't get out the group. "Big name that fails to deliver in big tournaments" is how they opened the description of England.

It would be more than ironic if France won, it would be nice for a country from outside South America to win there.
Last edited by: gmac on Tue 13 May 14 at 19:17
 England world cup team announced - Robin O'Reliant
I think England could do quite well. If you look through the squad they are actually quite a decent bunch and the quarter finals would be a realistic target, especially as they are not burdened with the usual unrealistic expectations.

The big problem will be the heat. The high tempo English game does not travel well to hot climates.
 England world cup team announced - ....
It would be fantastic to see a team have a go and play football. Problem is the other teams tend not to want to play. Italy passed masters of get a goal and park the bus 1-0 will do. Then grind out the sudden death.
Bit like the champions league and does nothing to sell the sport.

I've lost interest in F1, I'm losing interest in Football.
"I've lost interest in F1, I'm losing interest in Football."

I'm afraid that I feel this way as well - same with rugby and cricket. I used to play rugby for the school 1st XV as well, but I haven't got a clue what's going on nowadays. I used to be an avid follower of test cricket, but then the game seemed to lose its way somehow - and it certainly lost me. I suspect that the biggest problem has been the affect of big money.

A friend sent me a cutting reproduced from the Grimsby Town fanzine of ticket prices in 1981 e.g. Man City prices were £1.30 standing/£1.60 seated. According to the DM 'This is money' inflation calculator, those prices today would be £4.35/£5.36. Similarly, Chelsea (then in Divn 2) would have been £2/£3 - £6.70/£10.05 today. As a comparison, today it costs £10 to watch Bury Town who are step 3 non-league, i.e. 7 steps below the Premier League.

England world cup team announced - Focusless
>> I think England could do quite well.

The Government disagrees :o
www.theguardian.com/football/2014/may/13/england-early-exit-world-cup-highly-probable-government
 England world cup team announced - Alanovich

>> The big problem will be the heat. The high tempo English game does not travel
>> well to hot climates.
>>

It'll be winter down there. I think England have only one group game in a location where there is a risk of properly warm/humid weather.
>>It'll be winter down there.

Manaus will probably be 25-30 but quite humid, Sao Paulo around 22/23 and Curitiba around 16/17.

So, nothing like as bad as summer. However, Manaus will still be harder to play in than any English player will be used to. I think they exaggerate the challenge though.

Also in Manaus everything which flies also bites. Most of the stuff which doesn't fly also bites.
>>it would be nice for a country from outside South America to win there.

Oh dear Lord, no it would not be.

They are unbelievably arrogant about football as it is. Luis Suárez is not only a typical Uraguayan footballer, he's pretty much a typical South American supporter.
 England world cup team announced - R.P.
There was a cracking reference on the Today programme this morning. Being bored rigid by football I was paying scant attention but the Sports reporter said something along the lines of "A young inexperienced team....well inexperienced at losing anyway" I may watch a few matches....well you do don't you. Vuvuzala at the ready of course.
 England world cup team announced - Stuartli
>> "A young inexperienced team....well inexperienced at losing anyway">>

Apart from being a completely stupid comment, as Hodgson rightly pointed out, the only way for young players to gain experience is to (erm) play them in international matches...:-)

Not rocket science.
"They are unbelievably arrogant about football as it is"

But, from what a friend tells me, they do bow to one aspect where England's reputation reigns supreme….

Steve is a really gentle bloke who wouldn't hurt a fly, but with a wisp of a roll-up hanging out of his mouth, he looks like the baddie from a spaghetti western. He'd been sent down to S America, I think it was Chile, to do some work at a refrigeration plant. There had been a major cock-up in supplying the necessary parts for the job and, while new parts were sought, he was left kicking his heels in the sunshine for about 6 weeks. One of the blokes who worked at the plant told Steve that there was a local football derby taking place one evening, and that he'd take him along to savour the atmosphere - he must go.

By the time they arrived at the ground, things were hotting up with the crowd; there were smoke bombs going off, and flares and burning seats were being tossed around. Steve stood there, amazed by the mayhem in front of him, the one of the blokes shouted across in a heavy accent hey, Stevie; hey, Stevie …………… you're English…………… start a fight!
 England world cup team announced - Manatee
I just had to google for where and when the world cup is.

It's to be in June and July this year, in Brazil.

I'll be able to join in those fitbal conversations now!

Latest Forum Posts