Non-motoring > The Sun Has Got His Hat On - Ambrose 1932 Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dulwich Estate Replies: 14

The Sun Has Got His Hat On - Ambrose 1932 - Dulwich Estate
I've always enjoyed this little ditty and when listening to it get mental images of 1930's life.

It's ages since I last heard it though.

I've just loaded it onto my iPod. Will this admission now get me banned from this forum ?

We've all gone quite mad.
 The Sun Has Got His Hat On - Ambrose 1932 - R.P.
No.
 The Sun Has Got His Hat On - Ambrose 1932 - bathtub tom
I wonder how many black labradors were named after Guy Gibson's in the fifties?
 The Sun Has Got His Hat On - Ambrose 1932 - Fenlander
I've said before I have a lot of 78s pass through my hands and now have a fair collection of those that interest me and sound OK.

There is so much wickedly non-PC stuff in song titles, artists names and lyrics it would make you cringe by today's standards... if that was the way it affected you.
 The Sun Has Got His Hat On - Ambrose 1932 - Armel Coussine
>> have a fair collection of those that interest me and sound OK.

Perhaps you have a mint copy of Jonathan King's classic rendering of The Sun Has Got His Hat On... that'll be worth a fortune...
Well that would cover all bases... but no not seen any Jonathon King on 78.

Plenty of Lonnie Donegan... perhaps he transgressed too... I'll have to listen with more care.
 The Sun Has Got His Hat On - Ambrose 1932 - Armel Coussine
>> not seen any Jonathon King on 78.

No, would have been 45rpm thingies... did he really spell his name like that? Wouldn't put it past the egregious fellow.
Who can forget his
"Lick A Smurf for Christmas (All Fall Down)" ?
 The Sun Has Got His Hat On - Ambrose 1932 - Ambo
>>I've always enjoyed this little ditty and when listening to it get mental images of 1930's life.

I wuz there! This was typical of a lot of cheer-up songs that appeared, to overcome the gloom of the depression years. A similar one was "Whose been polishing the sun?" Singer articulation was superb in those days, as it rarely is now.
>>> did he really spell his name like that..

Well I did... perhaps he didn't. What's an o or an a to a pervy old git?
 The Sun Has Got His Hat On - Ambrose 1932 - Alanovich
>> I wonder how many black labradors were named after Guy Gibson's in the fifties?
>>

In the 70s an uncle of mine had a black Jack Russell (rare to see a totally black one) called Sambo. Never knew what that meant at the time, and only realised later in life. Pretty offensive, that one, I reckon.

My 15 year old Jack Russell has what could be interpreted as an offensive, nationality-related name. But no-one's ever taken any offence, even though we visit the country in question with her quite frequently. Bit like Jock but more liable to burst out in to song. The dog in question does originate from the country in question.
Taff - Most n Walians might be offended becoause it's very South Wales (River Taf), it's an odd one that - common doggie name - but maybe because its also associated with Toffee and would suit a toffee coloured dog. Quite a common tag in the Forces so I'm led to believe.

Just found this on Wiki.

The term "Taffy", used as a nickname for people from the Taff Valley up to and including Cardiff and by extension from anywhere in Wales, is sometimes thought to originate from the name of the river. It may be seen as derogatory. The Oxford English Dictionary, however, states that the origin is "an ascribed Welsh pronunciation of Davy or David, in Welsh Dafydd.

"Daf" (pronounced "Dav") is a common shortening of Dafydd (Davyth) may make sense. People not familiar with the language seem to sturggle with the fact that "f" and "Ff" are two seperate letters with different sounds in Welsh.
Last edited by: R.P. on Mon 12 May 14 at 11:21
 The Sun Has Got His Hat On - Ambrose 1932 - Roger.
"Taffy was a Welshman......" the rest of that bit of doggerel, in today's loony world, would be seized up by the trolling industry and headlined as "A racist rant by ......."
My wife is Welsh, born & bred and is not the least bit offended by it!
Last edited by: Roger. on Mon 12 May 14 at 11:23
 The Sun Has Got His Hat On - Ambrose 1932 - Runfer D'Hills
My father in law, who's name is not Samuel, played as a child at the coal storage depot next to the railway yard near his childhood home in the late 1930s and early 1940s.

He apparently used to often arrive home covered in coal dust much to his mother's dismay.

As a result, he acquired the nickname 'Sambo' which at the time was seen as nothing more than amusing.

The nickname stuck and probably much more for reasons driven by the propensity to abbreviate all names in the local dialect than any nod to political correctness it became 'Sammy' or 'Sam'

To this day, all his family ( including my mother in law ) and friends refer to him as Sammy.

The modern generation either assume that is his real name or have no idea how it came about.

Indeed I would find it hard to use his real name as I certainly have never known him by anything other than his nickname.

The Sun Has Got His Hat On - Ambrose 1932 - Haywain
The folks came round for a band practice yesterday evening and the topic of 'The sun has got his hat on' came up in the conversation. All the musos are of a certain age and, whilst all had a good recollection of the tune and chorus, none could remember anything about the words or even the tune to the verses. All said that since the song had been dredged up and placed in the headlines, it had been buzzing round in their heads - what's more, they found themselves involuntarily singing the dreaded words.

Can we sue the 'whistle-blower' for bringing this whole thing up and subtly placing racist thoughts in our minds?
Latest Forum Posts