Non-motoring > British Scenery. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bromptonaut Replies: 30

British Scenery. - Bromptonaut
How well do you know the UK's scenic jewels?

www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/uk/10803513/Quiz-how-well-do-you-know-Britains-landscapes.html

80% here, wrong Loch for a Scots castle and wrong County for Arbor Low.
 British Scenery. - No FM2R
4/10. And I guessed one of those.

Now that's just embarrassing.
 British Scenery. - R.P.
50%
The beach in Q9 is utterly familiar having spent many happy days there when my kids were young. We've dozens of similar photographs with the aspect on the mountains in the background simple known in my household as 'the view'. Musty get Boots or Jessops to make me a set of dinner mats including it.

Was my computer background at work for many years until a corporate image of the most famous building on the department's estate was forced on us.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 6 May 14 at 18:58
 British Scenery. - No FM2R
Lovely looking beach for sure.

As a total aside (thread drift alive and well), despite the total convenience and comparative cheapness of digital photography, I do miss the trip to Boots* to pick up the holiday snaps.

That whole drop the film off, wait a week, go back and pick up the photographs and relive the holiday. I loved that. I probably had 3 or 4 films developed a year.

As opposed to now where, and I just checked, I have been married for 13 years and we have 18,857 photographs stored on my computer from that period!!! Although for the last 5 years I only keep photographs worth keeping (10%, probably) whereas before I kept everything.

Its nice to have them, but I miss the analogue experience.

*Other developers are available.
 British Scenery. - Westpig
5/10
 British Scenery. - CGNorwich
90% here. Wrong county for Arbor Lowe.

Have stood on that beach on Harris. There was just one other couple there. Sky was brilliant blue, the sand fine and white and it was absolutely freezing
 British Scenery. - Runfer D'Hills
Cold Harris?
 British Scenery. - Dog
60% ... the ole woman got 30% but, she is from Essex!
 British Scenery. - Fullchat
70%. Must try harder.
 British Scenery. - MD
60%
 British Scenery. - Armel Coussine
60%. Guessed nearly all of them, several wrongly. And someone gave away Harris. I'd never have known otherwise.
 British Scenery. - Lygonos
70% - never heard of Devil's Kitchen (unlike the Devil's Beeftub in the Borders), never heard of Arbor Lowe (wasn't he Capn Mainwaring in Dad's Army?), and thought Ribblehead Viaduct was in Lancashire having driven past it about 4 weeks ago when staying in Gisburn (although it was on the edge of the Yorkshire Moors.. d'oh)
Last edited by: Lygonos on Tue 6 May 14 at 20:54
 British Scenery. - bathtub tom
Hope your knowledge of geography of anatomy's better if you ever have to delve around in me.

;>)
 British Scenery. - Lygonos
I'm a GP - as long as I know where the bunkers are, and how the green plays, then I'm happy.
 British Scenery. - NortonES2
90%. Harris, not Skye. I thought it might be tricky!
>> never heard of Devil's Kitchen

I'd probably not have either except for having to escape from Y Garn/Glyders on a couple of occasions. Firstly in a group realising we were utterly ill equipped to go forwards or back without ice axes or crampons and secondly after Mrs B and I getting thoroughly lost in mist around Castel y Gwynt aiming for Glyder Fach.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 6 May 14 at 21:10
 British Scenery. - R.P.
Devil's Kitchen just down the road from here - a vicious climb (on a night like tonight, warm enough to wear tee-shirts - slippery rock, wind and splat)
 British Scenery. - Runfer D'Hills

>> like tonight, warm enough to wear tee-shirts....

Yeah, sure is, I was sweating when I got out of the pool tonight. How does that work?

;-)
 British Scenery. - Kevin
>Yeah, sure is, I was sweating when I got out of the pool tonight. How does that work?

Urine contamination.
 British Scenery. - Kevin
80%

I had absolutely no idea where the beach is and confused the castle with Urquhart.
 British Scenery. - Ted

90% out of 9 answered....hit the ' finish quiz ' button in error at the end.......before I'd had a stab at 10.

Dohhh !
 British Scenery. - Ted

The Winnats Pass is very steep and a fair length. It's a handy diversion for traffic heading to Castleton since the Mam Tor road slipped into the valley many years ago.

In the 80s I was driving down the Winnats in a fully loaded 7 seater Nissan Patrol when the brakes failed. The transmission brake would have just ripped the propshaft out at the speed we were going so I just pumped and pumped the pedals. Using some engine braking I managed to slow with a metallic scrawping from the front offside hub. There's always a crowd at the bottom by the Speedwell Cavern so I was very grateful for the speed reduction as I passed them.

I pulled into a layby on level ground and took the wheel off. It had thrown a pad out...I'd braked with piston on disc. I had a set of part-worn pads in the toolbox so I fitted one and off we went to enjoy our day out.

I think my purty pink panties had assumed a rather different hue by then !

British Scenery. - Meldrew
80%, with some knowledge and a bit of guesswork! Pictures like these make me wonder, sometimes, why I go abroad on holiday and when I look at the weather forecasts for Canaries etc I know!
 British Scenery. - Dog
>>Pictures like these make me wonder, sometimes, why I go abroad on holiday and when I look at the weather forecasts for Canaries etc I know!

I'm with ^this^ geyser!

www.bing.com/images/search?q=canary+islands&qpvt=canary+islands&FORM=IGRE
 British Scenery. - Cliff Pope
40%, mostly guessing.

Good do worse :)
 British Scenery. - Mike H
60% - first 6 right then fell to pieces. Some of them were guesses though. Bamborough Castle was a good start, we were there last year :-)
 British Scenery. - FocalPoint
"Bamborough Castle"

Ahem. Bamburgh, actually.
 British Scenery. - Dulwich Estate
A stunning 90% !

Why stunning ? Whenever I choose to go for a long drive it's not UK, but down the M20 to Dover and beyond.
 British Scenery. - legacylad
90%.
Wrong with Arbor wots it in Derbyshire.
Much nicer scenery than here in Playa Blanca, Lanzagrotty. Hired the cheapest car going today to tour the island. Was upgraded to a spanking new Zafira. Oh joy. Self guided tour took 6 hours. Back by the pool by 4pm. At least it's sunny, the beer is cold, G&Ts are large and the Cointreau is chilled.
 British Scenery. - Alanovich
6. Poor effort.
Latest Forum Posts