Non-motoring > Boko Haram Miscellaneous
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 33

Boko Haram - No FM2R

Sometimes one realises that its nice to live in countries without significant troubles in the scheme of things....

www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-27298614
 Boko Haram - R.P.
I strongly suspect that they will end up in the sights of US and UK special forces...
 Boko Haram - Westpig
I dread to think what those poor little sods are going through.

I'd have no problem if our military kicked ass in that department.
 Boko Haram - Bromptonaut
>> I dread to think what those poor little sods are going through.
>>
>> I'd have no problem if our military kicked ass in that department.

I find myself wanting to give WP a green thumb.

Should I be worried?
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 6 May 14 at 18:59
 Boko Haram - Westpig
>> I find myself wanting to give WP a green thumb.
>>
>> Should I be worried?
>>

Yes. I've turned AC, he even reads the Telegraph now, you're next.
 Boko Haram - Armel Coussine
>> he even reads the Telegraph now, you're next.

Been reading it (alongside Le Monde among others) since you were in short pants or even a babygro Wp, no offence of course, just keeping up with the mainstream media discourse...

'Turned' indeed! Tsk!
 Boko Haram - Westpig
>> Been reading it (alongside Le Monde among others) since you were in short pants or
>> even a babygro Wp, no offence of course, just keeping up with the mainstream media
>> discourse...
>>
>> 'Turned' indeed! Tsk!
>>

Excellent. The desired effect.
 Boko Haram - Cliff Pope

>>
>> Been reading it (alongside Le Monde among others) since you were in short pants
>>

You mean The Morning Post, I think, if you are that old?
 Boko Haram - No FM2R
>>I'd have no problem if our military kicked ass in that department.

Oh absolutely, but who to kick? That's the problem. Its not good vs bad, its bad vs bad vs some other bad vs another bad vs different bad etc.
 Boko Haram - Haywain
""God instructed me to sell them, they are his properties and I will carry out his instructions," he said."

Quite - and which god would that be? Ah - that one!
 Boko Haram - Boxsterboy
>> ""God instructed me to sell them, they are his properties and I will carry out
>> his instructions," he said."
>>

I wonder how he is proposing to pass on the money he gets from the sale to his god? Because I'm sure he wasn't planning to spend the money on guns or drugs.
 Boko Haram - Bromptonaut
>> Quite - and which god would that be? Ah - that one!

You mean the Islamic one?

The same one as directins fundamentalist Christians and Jews
 Boko Haram - Haywain
"The same one as directins fundamentalist Christians and Jews"

Very probably.
Boko Haram are frightful backwoods brigands of little consequence, darkest Africa so to speak. But the fact that these toerags can run about freely inside Nigeria's frontiers is significant.

Nigeria has money and men. It's pretty disgraceful that it can't maintain security in its Borno province by the traditional means of extreme well-directed violence. What use is a military regime that can't do that? I'm ashamed of it.
 Boko Haram - Stuartli
The details of this horrific action by the terrorists group were first revealed three weeks ago.

Suddenly the rest of the world wakes up - almost certainly far too late to do anything practical in finding these young girls.
 Boko Haram - No FM2R
If you read carefully you will see that this is a second action, distinct from the one 3 weeks ago.

Mind you, its been going on for a year or two.
 Boko Haram - Cliff Pope
European nations used to have the capability to send in shock "rescue missions" in circimstances like this. True, usually to rescue their own nationals.

Britain, but more notability France, Belgium and Israel, had some successes.
Has the US lost its nerve for such operations after the Carter helicopter fiasco in Iran?
 Boko Haram - MD
The Septics have now sent experts! So that'll be alright then.
 Boko Haram - Westpig
>> Has the US lost its nerve for such operations after the Carter helicopter fiasco in
>> Iran?
>>

They have a President who doesn't see that side of US foreign policy as being all that important.
 Boko Haram - Bromptonaut
>> They have a President who doesn't see that side of US foreign policy as being
>> all that important.

Intervention in Nigeria is not, however high the motive, risk free.

Any collateral damage to innocent people, and in north of country they're likely to me Muslims, will deliver a strong propaganda card to the extremists. It's also a diverse Federal Republic with its own dynamics and a complex ethnic mix in which foreign involvement may have unintended perceptions and consequences.
 Boko Haram - Westpig
>> Intervention in Nigeria is not, however high the motive, risk free.

Intervention is never usually risk free.
>>
>> Any collateral damage to innocent people, and in north of country they're likely to me
>> Muslims, will deliver a strong propaganda card to the extremists.

A necessary risk. Some people in life only ever respect strength.

It's also a diverse Federal
>> Republic with its own dynamics and a complex ethnic mix in which foreign involvement may
>> have unintended perceptions and consequences.

If the Nigerian Govt invited Europe or the US in to help, it would deflect some of the stick..and the rest of it would have to be endured.

If nothing is done, they'll keep going and get more brave.
>> What use is a military regime that can't do that? I'm ashamed of it.

That whole post is ill-considered, written in haste and hopelessly optimistic.

Nigeria's regime hasn't been 'military' for years, although State governors tend to be generals or high-ranking policemen, and security reposes ultimately on the army. It has to be admitted though that in the past neither the police nor the army have displayed consistent discipline and members of the security forces have often committed exactions against ordinary citizens.

There are elite units and honest officers and men. But they are few perhaps and most likely to be posted to ensure security for the government and senior politicians. Unleashed in Borno, ordinary troops might behave not very differently from the Boko Haram savages.

Western governments might be able to provide satellite or drone imagery. It's hard to see what else they can usefully achieve.
 Boko Haram - Westpig
>> >> What use is a military regime that can't do that? I'm ashamed of it.
>>
>>
>> That whole post is ill-considered, written in haste and hopelessly optimistic.

Are you arguing with yourself now?..;-)
Last edited by: Westpig on Wed 7 May 14 at 12:57
I often do. But I prefer the term 'correcting'.
 Boko Haram - NortonES2
AC: you sound like Martin Dent. Were you once a District Officer in Nigeria?

Last edited by: NortonES2 on Thu 15 May 14 at 20:34
>> Were you once a District Officer in Nigeria?

Good God no. I'm a poacher not a gamekeeper.

I knew a person in African commercial journalism who had been a district officer or commissioner or some such in Nigeria. He was a boring man and lost my sympathy by saying how he had enjoyed burning cannabis confiscated from the natives. Damn carphound.
 Boko Haram - Alanovich
>> he had enjoyed burning cannabis confiscated from the natives. Damn carphound.
>>

I bet he did. Any giggling fits or munchies reported?
>> Any giggling fits or munchies reported?

I asked, but he denied noticing anything like that. He did say his native policemen seemed very enthusiastic and genial though as they clustered round stoking the flames.
 Boko Haram - Dog
rt.com/usa/159032-obama-bringbackourgirls-drone-memes/
 Boko Haram - helicopter
Cartoon this week in the Eye made me laugh.

Boko Haram - Haven't done much since 'Whiter shade of pale....'
 Boko Haram - Dog
=>LOL<=
 Boko Haram - Bromptonaut
>> Cartoon this week in the Eye made me laugh.
>>
>> Boko Haram - Haven't done much since 'Whiter shade of pale....'

I must not titter
I must not titter
etc etc
 Boko Haram - Enoughalready
You'd think the BBC would've chosen a reporter with a more appropriate name than this
m.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-27370041
 Boko Haram - legacylad
Whilst reading this thread some very low flying Chinooks just passed over in upper Ribblesdale.
None for several months and these sounded like they were trying to get down my chimney. Pretty exciting to be flying so low at night
Latest Forum Posts