Non-motoring > Passport photo's Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 34

Passport photo's - bathtub tom
Anyone created their own passport photo's lately?

Our passports are up for renewal and I can take decent photo's, but can't seem to edit them simply to the required dimensions: www.gov.uk/photos-for-passports

I can't find a (free) photo editing software that will produce the required 35:45 portrait aspect ratio. Necessary, because of the rule: You can’t use photos that have been cut down from larger pictures.

Will I have to take a pocketful of pound coins and find a photo booth?
 Passport photo's - Focusless
>> Will I have to take a pocketful of pound coins and find a photo booth?

The one at the local Asda I used the other day takes credit/debit cards. £5 didn't seem too bad.
Last edited by: Focusless on Tue 6 May 14 at 16:16
 Passport photo's - Fursty Ferret
Open MS Paint. Change to "Select" tool. Draw upwards until you're at the right height as described on their website. Multiply that by .78 which will tell you how far to draw across.

Now you know what the dimensions of the photo need to be, you can experiment with the select tool and then crop down to the right size.

"You can’t use photos that have been cut down from larger pictures" is rubbish, it's to stop you trying to crop out a face from a group photo. Or just pay your £5 to the nice lady in Boots, which is what I did.
 Passport photo's - spamcan61
>>
>> Will I have to take a pocketful of pound coins and find a photo booth?
>>
Our local Post Office - and presumably lots of others - will take the photos to the required standard and process your passport application for a few quid. Saves hassle.
 Passport photo's - Meldrew
Quote from multi-page Government website on this subject - "Photographs should not be printed at home".

Photographs that are printed at home are unlikely to be acceptable because the image and
paper are often not of good enough quality; therefore photographs that
do not clearly match the quality of professionally printed photographs
should be rejected.
Last edited by: Meldrew on Tue 6 May 14 at 17:22
 Passport photo's - Armel Coussine
I just looked at the mugshot in my 'clawwet-coloured' 2012 ten-year EU passport (wemember Woy Jenkins?) and it was rubbish, pale and faded although recognisably my mug. Will it have faded out completely before 2022? My guess is the computer said I'd probably be dead by then. Cheeky damn moron of a machine.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Tue 6 May 14 at 17:29
 Passport photo's - Runfer D'Hills
Those biometric e passports don't work do they.. Always chaos. Bit like self-service checkouts in supermarkets.
 Passport photo's - R.P.
Bit like self-service checkouts in supermarkets.

Unexpected item in the EU queue ?
 Passport photo's - Bromptonaut
Timpsons do passport photos with a proper digital camera against a pull up screen of the requisite shade. Better than a booth because they will show you the shots and you can try again if you get the blink or startled rabbit look.

Also give you extra copies useful for other ID like railcards, student passes etc.
I've used Timpsons for passport photos. Got my boots heeled at the same time.
 Passport photo's - Clk Sec
Thought you'd have sent the boots back to the manufacturer.
 Passport photo's - mikeyb
I've used Jessops - costs a few quid more but they will keep taking them until they are correct to the passport agency's standard
 Passport photo's - R.P.
I used the photo from my Photocard Licence...it was imported directly from the DVLA database in the Passport's database.
 Passport photo's - Bromptonaut
>> I used the photo from my Photocard Licence...it was imported directly from the DVLA database
>> in the Passport's database.

Did my DL photo by reverse of that process. Very eficient, the new licence arrived inside a week. One of the spares from my passport set went on my National Rail photocard (needed to accompany my season ticket when I was commuting).
 Passport photo's - Focusless
>> Timpsons do passport photos with a proper digital camera against a pull up screen of
>> the requisite shade. Better than a booth because they will show you the shots and
>> you can try again if you get the blink or startled rabbit look.

The £5 booth I used is digital ie. it shows you the shot on the screen before printing and you have the option to retake (up to 3 times IIRC). Not saying it's better, but they are quite clever.
 Passport photo's - Dog
Howls about, something beginning with ... passporty.co.uk/

No apostrophe required in the werd photos BTW
 Passport photo's - CGNorwich
Since they say they clean up backgrounds and adjust the tones etc. I would say that the photos would be in breach of official requirements which specify that the photos must not be altered by computer software.

www.gov.uk/photos-for-passports
 Passport photo's - R.P.
Ah... Arjades....the apostrophe may well be OK in this instance if it's meant to notate missing letters :-) (i.e. Photographs.....minimises down to Photo's)
Last edited by: R.P. on Tue 6 May 14 at 21:53
Apostrophes should only be used in recognised contractions e.g "doesn't". Photo's is not a recognised contraction and is therefore incorrect.

Resident apostropheologist

Passport photo's - R.P.
Fair do....er...'s
 Passport photo's - Cliff Pope
See
www.sussex.ac.uk/informatics/punctuation/apostrophe/contractions

Note that apostrophes are conventionally no longer used where a contracted form of a word is the form in ordinary use, and the full version is no longer used.
As both photographs and photos are equally in use, this would appear to permit use of the apostrophe if desired. (cf telephone, phone, and 'phone)
'Kin 'ell
 Passport photo's - R.P.
:-)
I would tactfully point you to the following paragraph which appears in the document quoted in your link.

"Such clipped forms are not regarded as contractions, and they should not be written with apostrophes. Writing things like hippo', bra', 'cello and 'phone will, not to mince words, make you look like an affected old fuddy duddy who doesn't quite approve of anything that's happened since 1912. "
 Passport photo's - R.P.
Damn....I always write 'cello thus...yes I do write it occasionally as a one time player. I also write 'phone....I've not had cause to write bra....but doubt I would put an apostrophe when I did.
 Passport photo's - Kevin
Shouldn't that be e.g. CG?
Probably. Abbreviations not really my field. I only do apostrophes.
 Passport photo's - R.P.
:-)
 Passport photo's - bathtub tom
R.P. and I/me were never greengrocer's.

;>)
 Passport photo's - Cliff Pope
>> I only do apostrophes.
>>

It sounds like a secluded life. CG sitting on an upturned bucket in his shed all day long, endlessly whittling down apostrophes.
Or did you mean "I do only apostrophes" ?
 Passport photo's - Meldrew
No e required in word either LOL!
 Passport photos - Dulwich Estate
ASDA ? For 64p.

www.hotukdeals.com/deals/asda-photo-store-6-x-passport-driving-licence-sized-photos-printed-only-64p-1898751
 Passport photos - Focusless
>> ASDA ? For 64p.

Bit steep; how about 20p
www.hotukdeals.com/deals/4-x-uk-passport-photos-20p-boots-1836740
:) (link from DE's page)
 Passport photos - bathtub tom
Unfortunately there isn't an Asda within fifteen miles of me (although we do have a distribution centre).

Tried the Boots one which directs you to a dot com website (USA?) and wants credit card details - I'm suspicious. No way I can see the 20p working.
 Passport photos - Focusless
>> Tried the Boots one which directs you to a dot com website (USA?) and wants
>> credit card details - I'm suspicious.

oops
Latest Forum Posts