Non-motoring > chair for sleeping in Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Focusless Replies: 23

chair for sleeping in - Focusless
SWMBO's dad is over 80 and these days can't sleep in a bed - he has joint problems which means lying down is too uncomfortable. So he sleeps in a chair in the lounge. But it's just an ordinary chair, and my wife thinks he would benefit from one that can adjust its shape, and also help him get out of it.

Does anyone have any recommendations?
 chair for sleeping in - Dog
These are the kiddies ~ www.parkerknoll.co.uk/parkerKnollQuality/
 chair for sleeping in - Bigtee
The chair i have at work is great just get a good cusion for his head im asleep in no time.
 chair for sleeping in - R.P.
That makes me laugh T - when I went back to work after I lost my wife - I ordered a pair of blinds for the roof lights in my Office and turned it into a quiet zone for snoozing in the mornings - good place to catch up with lost sleep !
 chair for sleeping in - -
As my dear Mum became older and more frail we took her to get a high recliner, the one she had was manual reclined by a lever but you can get higher spec models that rise as well as recline to help the person into and out of the chair.

She found it much easier to get in and out of this higher chair, it wasn't a Parker and was considerably cheaper but did the business well.

All the very best to the FiL Focus, it's keeping him warm especially around his legs that will be the hardest imo, surprising just how cold floor level gets in the night.
Thanks Dog and GB. Have requested a brochure from ParkerKnoll (says you can download a zip but couldn't see where - perhaps they email you a link). I notice there's no prices on the website which is a bit of a worry, although it does mention you can get £100 off when you spend over £1000...

We're not exactly well off at the moment so certainly interested in cheaper options - GB, can you remember the make of the one you went for?
 chair for sleeping in - Runfer D'Hills
www.reclinerworldonline.com/

Have a butchers here Focus
>> www.reclinerworldonline.com/
>>
>> Have a butchers here Focus

Thanks Humph - the electric riser recliners for £500 or £600 look promising.
 chair for sleeping in - Dave_
Link to PDF brochure:

www.parkerknoll.co.uk/a/pdf/brochure.pdf

Hth.

Dave
>> Link to PDF brochure:
>>
>> www.parkerknoll.co.uk/a/pdf/brochure.pdf

Cheers Dave - still can't see any prices though.
 chair for sleeping in - Dave_
Neither can I. :-/

A bit of creative Googling seems to suggest four figures rather than three though - with the sofas' manufacturer's recommended prices being up in the £3k region.

Does it have to be new though?

bit.ly/cDMDfB (Links to eBay, prices from £900 down to £100 ish)
>> Does it have to be new though?

Good point - if it were for me then no, but I suspect SWMBO will probably want a new one for her dad (and I can't really blame her). I'll mention it though.
 chair for sleeping in - henry k
In addition to the chair a suitable pillow would seem an obvious must.
SWMBO often falls asleep in the car on late night longer runs home.
She swears by a neck pillow filled with microbeads ( not an inflateable type).
I note that memory foam and microfibre versions are available but I have no feedback on these.
 chair for sleeping in - Badwolf
My dad has mobility problems and bought himself an electric chair (as he calls it!) about a year ago. It reclines fully, and rises up so that he can get in and out easily.

He's away this week on a coach tour (it comes to us all eventually!) but if you're not sorted by next weekend I'll find out where he got it from.

Cheers.
 chair for sleeping in - Bazzabear
Might be worth you looking at some standard sofa sellers. They often have recliners in now, even the electric recliners, and they'll likely be a long way cheaper than Parker Knoll.

We got our recliner sofa from CSL, and it's fantastically comfy. Not sure I'd have a non-recliner again.

I think you will want to go for an electric recline though. when pushing it back up, it requires a bit of force to lock it in place. Not ideal for someone frail.
Tis a pity that you cant consider 'previously owned' (Bb speak for 2nd hand)
After all - we don't bat an eyelid when we purchase previously owned houses or cars.
I be reckoning that you could pick up a P'Parker for 1/3rd the price of a gnu one.
Thanks everyone. Haven't ruled out 2nd hand yet.
Cheers
F
Ere's one, virtually unmarked ~ tinyurl.com/32yyqh2
>> Ere's one, virtually unmarked ~ tinyurl.com/32yyqh2

Thanks - I can see there are bargains on ebay, but don't know our official position on 2nd hand yet.
 chair for sleeping in - Iffy
A second hand chair of this type can be a bit off-putting because the previous owner may have died in it.

Although used will be as good as new in all other respects.

Second hand mobility scooters are often 'little used' as well.
>>A second hand chair of this type can be a bit off-putting because the previous owner may have died in it.<<

A period property has probably seen a few cadavers over the years, especially in the bedrooms,
does that make them 'off-putting' I wonder?

chair for sleeping in - BiggerBadderDave
"A period property has probably seen a few cadavers over the years"

When we bought our little cottage in Hampstead Garden Suburb, the previous owner, an old policeman had lived there all his adult life and had died in there. It was like a time capsule.

There was a very distinct man-shaped pattern on the floorboards where the bed had been which I can only guess was formed by all the dead skin that had flaked off him over the decades.

Sorry if you're eating.
I had a couple of medium friends some time ago, they weren't medium sized or anything,
they were sensitive to passed lives.
He explained to me once that if they go into an old owse, they can 'pick up' the previous in habitants as if it were akin to the ole magnetic tape we used to use for recording,
That is why I like old properties, they have 'an atmosphere', a presence.
 chair for sleeping in - Fenlander
My 80+ father-in-law died instantly in a room in our house a couple of years ago.... a massive shock at the time but I have nothing but positive thoughts when in the room where he went. I had a lot of time for him and was glad that he was with his family rather than in a hospital situation where many slip away.
Latest Forum Posts