Non-motoring > Mouse trouble Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 106

Mouse trouble - Crankcase
Got a mouse or mice. Dug about in cupboard, found some unused traps we've had for years.

Mouse has happily eaten bait from two of three but traps not sprung.

The ones we have are similar to this (ebay link)

tinyurl.com/mp23l5k

Anybody recommend a different type that actually works, ideally on ebay or Amazon?

"Humane" varieties not required though, sorry Pat.

Last edited by: Crankcase on Tue 22 Apr 14 at 21:02
 Mouse trouble - Slidingpillar
The humane one my mum tried did work, and when I released the mouse in the woods, everyone said it would come back - didn't though.

Something like this:
www.pest-expert.com/live-catch-mouse-trip-trap-32-p.asp
but I don't know what bait was used. Peanut butter or chocolate seems to be the internet recommendation.
 Mouse trouble - CGNorwich
I always put the trap - the normal break-back variety in a cardboard tube and place it along the edge of the room. Never found the things too fussy about bait. A bit of biscuit or bread suffices. I find they seem to prefer the cover afforded by the tube ( the sort whiskey comes in are ideal) and take the bait more readily.

Mouse trouble - DP
Place traps along edge of the room as above. Nutella or chocolate great as bait.
 Mouse trouble - Westpig
>> Anybody recommend a different type that actually works, ideally on ebay or Amazon?

tinyurl.com/me7nkdv

Got one of these when we moved into a new house and found mouse droppings in a cupboard. Thought about it, as some of the feedback was negative, but as a fair chunk of the feedback was really positive, went for it anyway. It seemed to work, but then you're not sure if the mouse has cleared off for others reasons.

The we had some creature strolling about between the floorboards above our heads in the living room..or.. under the floorbaoards when in your bedroom...happened when it got cold for the winter...so I bought two more.....definitely worked.

The my F-I-L moaned about creatures in his remote cottage....so sent him two....worked a treat, so much so he's going to buy a load for his hotel, as the roof has a few in.

...and it would keep Aunty Pat happy.
Last edited by: Westpig on Tue 22 Apr 14 at 22:05
 Mouse trouble - RichardW
Peanut butter.... they can't knock it off the trap as they can with chocolate or similar!
 Mouse trouble - BobbyG
I tried these and they were crap
www.diy.com/nav/garden/garden-care-watering/pest-weed-control/animal_control/-specificproducttype-rat___mouse_control/Diall-Live-Catch-Mouse-Trap-12738625?skuId=13259331

so then got a normal type which would appear not to be on the B&Q website anymore and it worked a treat. Caught about 6 or 7 of them if I remember.

Then got the guy from the Council out and he laid bate and advised me to plug all holes with steel wool as it was the only "hole filler" that they would not eat through. Haven't seen any mice since!
 Mouse trouble - bathtub tom
I've always found moulding a little chocolate TIGHTLY around the the trigger works for me.

Don't tell SWMBO, as it's her that makes the chocolate!

Mouse trouble - Ted

We had a mouse a few years ago...what a Fred Karnos that was ! it came into the bedroom at night and woke me up, I put the bedside light on and it was staring at me from behind the bedside cabinet. I couldn't find it but in the morning I saw it on the curtain rail. I wanted something to catch it in but iit pre-empted any action by me and jumped the 8ft to the floor and made good it's escape down the stairs.

I found out it was living under the sideboard...one with a floor depth skirting at the front and sides but not at the back. I could hear it nibbling away at stuff it had filched, mostly off dried flower displays. Moving the sideboard had it racing out into the kitchen and disappearing over the plinth under the units...even with the door shut. It just flattened itself and went underneath.

It brazenly strolled across the lounge floor while we were watching the box. I had normal traps, rocker type humane traps and sticky pads all over the place ! It just sneered at my efforts and avoided everything.

I devised a cunning plan. Some work was being done and the stepladders were in the house.
I laid them on the kitchen floor and found some other stuff to act as supports and made a sort of 'wall of death' with table mats stood on edge leading across the kitchen floor, into the extension and ending at the back door. I left all the doors open....I'm not daft, I knew which way it would run !

I moved the sideboard an inch, whoosh ! It ruddy well worked...into the kitchen, confused by my wall, it shot straight out of the back door, which I quickly slammed before clearing up and smugly going to bed. Result !

A week later I heard a crunching and snuffling under the sideboard.....it must have liked us ! So, I prepared the system again the following day, figuring it's memory couldn't be good enough to thwart my plans. It worked again.....but wait ! It got to the back door and turned back...it's memory wasn't as bad as I had thought . I was already on my way to shut the back door when we met. I tripped in my efforts to kick it back out of the door and knocked over my 'Berlin Wall ' giving Mickey full access to his escape route under the cupboards. Luck was on my side, one of the mats fell on the mouse and I had to put a foot on the same mat to stop going headlong into the dishwaher. I little hand scrabbled at the floor and then was still. I was sorry about that, I would really rather have had it run into the great outdoors and enjoy a mouselong life.

It had a good funeral, wrapped in kitchen roll and put in the wheely bin. We haven't had any since...they don't mess with me !
 Mouse trouble - neiltoo

>> tinyurl.com/me7nkdv

Gets a good customer response at Amazon.

Does the sound upset domestic pets?
 Mouse trouble - Westpig
>>
>> >> tinyurl.com/me7nkdv
>>
>> Gets a good customer response at Amazon.
>>
>> Does the sound upset domestic pets?
>>

Seemingly not.

We don't have a cat, but do have a dog and have had people stay with dogs, without any undue interactions.

From memory, the instructions had something in them about pet rodents.
 Mouse trouble - Pat
Crankcase...a word of advice.

No-one ever has A mouse, you have mice!

Humane traps worked for me, which is more than your backbreaking device is doing for you:)

Thanks to WP, will try those if the cats get lazy.

Pat
 Mouse trouble - WillDeBeest
No-one ever has A mouse, you have mice!

Not so, Pat. I've told this story here before but we had one in the previous house that our dim cat had brought in and lost. (It can't have been the sharpest rodent in the garden to have been caught by him in the first place.) It set up home in the cupboard under the stairs, where we kept our dry groceries and root vegetables, which it seemed to enjoy.

The cat showed no interest in correcting his error, but I eventually saw it crossing the kitchen floor, caught it under an ice cream tub and bashed it flat with a saucepan. We found its nest, cleaned out the cupboard and that was the end of the nibbling; because the mouse hadn't found its own way in - and was fortunately not pregnant - there was no way for any others to join it.

I think it had a pleasant stay at the Hotel Beest, even if the express checkout facility might not have been its first choice.
 Mouse trouble - R.P.
Just choked on my corn flakes (generic non branded) reading Ted's WMD story (Weapons of Mouse Destruction !)
 Mouse trouble - Pat
I was really enjoying that tale WdeB until I read this >> and bashed it flat with a saucepan<<

You have well and truly fallen off that pedestal.

Pat
 Mouse trouble - Cliff Pope
>> >> and bashed it flat with a saucepan<<
>>
>> You have well and truly fallen off that pedestal.
>>

It would much prefer to have been out in the wild, and fed alive to a brood of hungry owl chicks.
 Mouse trouble - Telb
I think the little critters must be learning how to take bait off the "little nipper" type traps. They used to work for me every time but not recently. Since then I've always found blue wheat poison does the trick. A council pest controller told me the secret is to put plenty down and keep refilling it until it hasn't been taken for at least a week. Otherwise they just go back to their nests, get a tummy ache for a day or so and develop a resistance.
>> Since
>> then I've always found blue wheat poison does the trick.
>>

All our vermin long ago aquired resistance to the blue wheat, despite following this advice.

There is a much more powerful red stuff, looking like rather yummy chunks of Edinburgh rock.
A helping of that killed off all the rats under the hen house in one go.
 Mouse trouble - Bromptonaut
>> There is a much more powerful red stuff, looking like rather yummy chunks of Edinburgh
>> rock.
>> A helping of that killed off all the rats under the hen house in one
>> go.

We had mice in the office at Chancery Lane. Lived well off dropped scraps and used the underfloor cabling ducts as mouse superhighways. A bloke, know colloquially as Matt the Rat, came round every couple of weeks and laid poisoned bait.

Trouble was then they'd taken a bit of it they'd get dazed and wonder around in daylight.

Now of course every office has somebody who screams at the sight of a mouse. We had, for a while, an Ozzy lawyer (of Greek extraction) who sounded like Dame Edna at the best of times. When she saw the mouse you could hear her in Lincoln's Inn!!
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Thu 24 Apr 14 at 10:28
 Mouse trouble - VxFan
>> I think the little critters must be learning how to take bait off the "little
>> nipper" type traps.

I've got two "little nipper" traps in my garage loft. Never had to put bait on either of them, and when the mice decide to come in the traps do their magic. I just put them close to the edge of the roof rafters and stand something like a plantpot nearby so the mouse can run through the gap straight into the trap.

I *lost* one of my traps once. The mouse only got one leg trapped in it and he scarpered off with it. Found later under some junk stored up there. I now tether the traps with a bit of garden wire to stop them from wandering off.
 Mouse trouble - Armel Coussine
We only get mice because we have damn cats. If we didn't have cats these fat short-tailed vole-type things wouldn't be brought in and killed or forgotten in the house. Then I wouldn't have to scoop up the guts or flatten the vole and bin them or it. It's very difficult to catch them alive, especially without hurting them.

Saw a small heap of guts in the hall the other day and wondered aloud what it was. The youngest granddaughter, just six, told me it was 'probably a mouse's kidney'. It was kidney shaped but too big I thought. Probably some other organ. I am always impressed by the heartless realism of small clever children.

I don't mind cats in themselves but they are a great nuisance in this respect and my view is that we would be better off without them. Herself is adamant though that the cat is a good idea and that she herself prefers not to get involved in scooping up guts and killing voles. A bit unfair, but that's life innit? No peace for the wicked.
Yes - cats cause more problems than they solve. Our late cat used to bring in mice and all sorts often half dead which would hide away and die.

We had cats for forty odd years and I now ask myself why. I don't mind the things as such but life is surely much easier without a pet. Come and go as you please, no mice, no cat poo in the flower beds, no bowls of foul smelling cat food in the kitchen and a lot more wild life in the garden.
 Mouse trouble - No FM2R
I'm fairly sure that our cat has been paid off by the mouse gang.

On the other hand, clearly the neighbourhood parrots couldn't afford the going rate for "protection" and are frequently made examples of.
 Mouse trouble - R.P.
'probably a mouse's kidney'

A musical child ?? recognizing a mouse organ...??
 Mouse trouble - No FM2R
I'll pass you your coat as you leave...
Thanks for the ideas. To complicate matters it's not in the house, and I only care for about three weeks anyway. So the electronic one wouldn't be suitable, and the poison idea is just bound to kill the neighbour's cat or something, and whilst that would of course be a matter for celebration it might lead to unseemly displays of fisticuffs in the drive.

I'll see later whether today's peanut butter has been licked clean again and decide from there what to get.
 Mouse trouble - Pat
Have a word Crankcase, that's what I do with Boris (the spider)

Tell the mouse you are happy to live with it for three weeks as long as it stays out of site, in return you will ignore it.

That's the truly honourable method of getting rid of a (single) mouse.

Pat
"Tell the mouse you are happy to live with it for three weeks as long as it stays out of site, in return you will ignore it."

And if it doesn't?
Never seen it, but you do get a whiff of mouse sometimes. Hence the traps, and the missing bait lead me to conclude they are there.

There's just some boxes in there temporarily I REALLY don't want a mouse to get into, and putting them elsewhere is difficult is all. After that the mice can poke about in dark corners as much as they like with the bikes and lawn mowers, as I'm sure they always have.
 Mouse trouble - Bromptonaut

>> There's just some boxes in there temporarily I REALLY don't want a mouse to get
>> into, and putting them elsewhere is difficult is all. After that the mice can poke
>> about in dark corners as much as they like with the bikes and lawn mowers,
>> as I'm sure they always have.

Been there, T shirt etc. Our hiking boots etc normally live in cloakroom/downstairs loo. However if my Mum's visiting they have to be moved as she needs extra room to move her walking frame. Put them out in garage, which is by far easiest option, risks mices nibbling on the leather, as happened in our old place.
 Mouse trouble - Fenlander
At our old place in the fen mice and rats were a constant risk despite a good cat. Less of a problem here but I do have a (not toy) inflatable boat which would be trashed by an over active mouse. I've found if you move stuff frequently it helps to unsettle them and there is less/no damage.
The world is one mouse fewer today. The funeral will be held this evening. Any suggestions for the order of service? Music from Crowded Mouse? A reading from The Three Mouseketeers? Of course, I don't know if he had a name, so his little gravestone will say Anonymouse.

As mousey may have had friends, and they may miss him, the kindest thing to do is to rebait the traps, so as they may join in mousely harmony with him.
>> The world is one mouse fewer today.
>>

Are you sure? I suspect they just breed up to the maximum number the food supply will support, plus a few more for luck.
 Mouse trouble - Westpig
>> Any
>> suggestions for the order of service?

You'd have to include 'Modest Mouse' and their song 'Bury me with it'
 Mouse trouble - Roger.

>> As mousey may have had friends, and they may miss him, the kindest thing to
>> do is to rebait the traps, so as they may join in mousely harmony with
>> him.

.......with mously?
Self-pedant alert.

I posted "The world is one mouse fewer today."

I'm not at all sure my grammar is right. Guidance, anyone?
I'll stick my neck out and say you are correct.
 Mouse trouble - Pat
I would have said 'less' because it sounds poncy to say fewer in that context, whether it's correct or not......so there!

Pat
 Mouse trouble - No FM2R
Surely "The world has...." ?
'A devastated planet is one mouse poorer today...'

'Fears were expressed today for the world's balance on its axis following revelations that it is a whole mouse lighter not far from the tropics...'
 Mouse trouble - Manatee
>> Surely "The world has...." ?
>>

That is indeed the question. What's the answer?

Choose from
one mouse fewer (probably correct)
one mouse less (a solecism but sounds better ro most people)

Or duck the issue, and say the world is one mouse the poorer.

Actually they're all wrong because mice breed like er...mice and die like flies all the time, so Cranks's mouse will be lost in the rounding.
God almighty, if I don't write a novel entitled "Lost in the rounding" I shall want to know the reason why.

Did I mention a colleague last week, when describing some family cooking, said it had been "a catastrophe of broccoli and disappointment", which will now be the title of my first book.
 Mouse trouble - Ted

Your late mouse may have bred already.. Keep the suit at hand after the funeral....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSlpBCfu-us&list=PLAD61AF1CF7859C3C
 Mouse trouble - Runfer D'Hills
Potential eulogy ?

Wee, sleekit, cowran, tim'rous beastie,
O, what a panic's in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty,
Wi' bickering brattle!
I wad be laith to rin an' chase thee,
Wi' murd'ring pattle!

I'm truly sorry Man's dominion
Has broken Nature's social union,
An' justifies that ill opinion,
Which makes thee startle,
At me, thy poor, earth-born companion,
An' fellow-mortal!

I doubt na, whyles, but thou may thieve;
What then? poor beastie, thou maun live!
A daimen-icker in a thrave 'S a sma' request:
I'll get a blessin wi' the lave,
An' never miss't!

Thy wee-bit housie, too, in ruin!
It's silly wa's the win's are strewin!
An' naething, now, to big a new ane,
O' foggage green!
An' bleak December's winds ensuin,
Baith snell an' keen!

Thou saw the fields laid bare an' wast,
An' weary Winter comin fast,
An' cozie here, beneath the blast,
Thou thought to dwell,
Till crash! the cruel coulter past
Out thro' thy cell.

That wee-bit heap o' leaves an' stibble,
Has cost thee monie a weary nibble!
Now thou's turn'd out, for a' thy trouble,
But house or hald.
To thole the Winter's sleety dribble,
An' cranreuch cauld!

But Mousie, thou are no thy-lane,
In proving foresight may be vain:
The best laid schemes o' Mice an' Men,
Gang aft agley,
An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain,
For promis'd joy!

Still, thou art blest, compar'd wi' me!
The present only toucheth thee:
But Och! I backward cast my e'e,
On prospects drear!
An' forward, tho' I canna see,
I guess an' fear!

Robt. Burns - Ode to a Mouse
 Mouse trouble - busbee
MOUSE TRAP
Robert Dyas have a good selection of mouse traps. Ones that are much easier to set than the old wooden wire-hoop ones. No pulling back of a wire hoop and trying to lightly set the holding wire.

Traps tend to be plastic these days. Very light and so they need a bit of string tied to them else a trap can be anywhere after a mouse walks off with it, having been caught but not killed for a few seconds, as sometimes happens.

Some traps are so sensitive they go off if the mouse bumps into the side of them. You need to lay the trap so the mouse will have to approach from the front. Back of the trap to a wall, at least.

The best bait I have found is a Raisin. Bite it in half and press half down into the little cupped bit of plastic that is usually provided for the bait. I caught 2 in the same trap (reset) in one day in my shed. First one when I came back five minutes later, having seen it run across the shed floor.

I have several traps in the loft and no mice now for a couple of years -- no mouse droppings.

Mouse trouble - VxFan
>> Traps tend to be plastic these days. Very light and so they need a bit
>> of string tied to them

Wire is better. Takes longer for them to gnaw through than string.
Mice are cute pretty little animals, so why do we want to kill them?

It's because they don't have bladders, so urinate slightly all the time. You really don't want them running about on your breadboard or chopping block.
 Mouse trouble - Alanovich
I did not know that. Saw one in the back garden recently, never had one in my house, so far as I'm aware.
 Mouse trouble - busbee
"Wire is better. Takes longer for them to gnaw through than string. "

No! Wire is a nuisance. It's stiffness makes placing the trap more difficult. It tends to move when you let go.

Never had string chewed through in 20 years of trapping. But then, I don't coat it with anything desirable.

And why should it be interested in chewing a string when there is bait available? I have seen the result of mice chewing the plastic away to get at the bait inside a clam-shell type trap that has gone off and not trapped.

When caught in a trap a mouse has rather more to worry about.
 Mouse trouble - VxFan
>> No! Wire is a nuisance. It's stiffness makes placing the trap more difficult. It tends
>> to move when you let go.

The thin garden twist wire is sufficient (the sort of stuff they wrap around a new electrical cable to stop it coming unravelled during transport). Not stiff enough to cause problems, but strong enough to stop the rodent from gnawing through it to make its escape.

>> Never had string chewed through in 20 years of trapping. But then, I don't coat
>> it with anything desirable.

I've never coated in in anything either, but have seen it bitten through. Clever animals are rodents.
 Mouse trouble - NortonES2
Weil's disease carriers. And Leptospirosis. Nasty and sometimes fatal.
 Mouse trouble - WillDeBeest
It's because they don't have bladders...

Really? Who on earth told you that, AC?
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Sat 26 Apr 14 at 15:13
 Mouse trouble - No FM2R
>>I did not know that

There's a reason you didn't.

www.victorpest.com/advice/rodents-101/myths
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sat 26 Apr 14 at 15:16
Heh heh... how annoying of you FMR. But they obviously have small bladders not very useful for an evening in the pub.
 Mouse trouble - Skip
>> Heh heh... how annoying of you FMR. But they obviously have small bladders not very
>> useful for an evening in the pub.
>>

Neither is mine these days !
An elephant's bladder can hold up to 42 gallons

.*******
tinyurl.com/jw6axhe
 Mouse trouble - No FM2R
Buckets. I remember buckets.
 Mouse trouble - busbee
Mousetraps

I have used the SafeSet trap a lot but some of them, depending on how the ends of the spring at the back are shaped, are very sensitive and have to be set down very carefully not to tap the base front edge else it goes off.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-X-Safeset-Pre-Baited-Mouse-Traps-Easy-To-Set-Mousetrap-Mouse-Trap-/110982014429

But they catch mice. Just disposed of my 4th one from same trap and I still have my half raisin. All they get is a heavy sniff (;-}

All stone dead -- whacked and held just behind the head both at the top and underneath.
That looks to be a fine thing, thanks busbee. Mine haven't been touched for a couple of nights, so not sure if there was just the one, which seems unlikely, or the others have gone on holiday.

I'll perhaps try those.
 Mouse trouble - Mapmaker
Melt chocolate onto the bait area. Means that it can't be nicked. Also means that the animal has to stand there for a bit gnawing at it, which makes it more likely to trip the trap.

Works very well indeed on the larger rat traps.
 Rat trouble - Bromptonaut
Last Wednesday Mrs B saw a large rat, bold as brass and in middle of day, feeding on the seed dropped round the bird feeders. Literally feet from her albeit other side of patio doors. Scampered up and down one of the shrubs and foraged in the borders below another bird feeder. Eventually seemed to slope off to other side of garden and probably under fence to next door.

We both saw it yesterday, including drinking from the pond. This morning while I was making tea it was chasing wood pigeons off the lawn - presumably resents sharing the feeder drop stuff with them.

Only one specimen seen (it's got a deformed tail). Observation through binoculars suggests its a female - IIRS like hamsters male rats have a prominent testicular bulge under the tail.

Disappeared for a while yesterday behind a set of troughs/pots containing post flowering but still green daffs. Only moved them there the other week after pressure washing the patio but I guess I need to make sure they're not providing cover for a nest. I'll also check the garden/peelings composter.

Otherwise I need to try and identify a run, there might be one under fence to next door and lay either traps or poison. Inclined to latter as rat traps are big ass jobs and look capable of giving a nasty injury if not competently handles.

What else does the panel suggest?
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Mon 5 May 14 at 10:19
 Rat trouble - Runfer D'Hills
Know anyone with a terrier who wants it looking after for a few days?
 Rat trouble - R.P.
Air rifle...hours of fun.
 Rat trouble - CGNorwich
Either:

1. Stop giving it a free lunch and it will go elsewhere.

or

2. Live with it. If it was a squirrel would you be bothered? What's the difference?

I'd contemplated temporary removal of the bird feeders though watching the visitors provides a great deal of entertainment. It's messy eaters on the grain feeders, mostly sparrows, that drop seeds it's eating. Could remove those pro-tem and just leave the nijer for the goldfinches.

All the guidance suggests rats WILL come in the house eventually. I certainly won't be leaving patio or back door open as we often do in warm weather while ratty is about. Any squirrel would be a grey - basically a rat with a good PR!
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Mon 5 May 14 at 10:53
 Rat trouble - Roger.
Warfarin bait.
>> Warfarin bait.

Off an errands shortly with trip to B&Q for bait on list. I'l need boxes too as I only what ratty scoffing it, not birds or hedgehogs.
 Rat trouble - sooty123
Should you have any birds feeders during the summer? I always thought you should have them up in the winter only?
 Rat trouble - CGNorwich
www.rspb.org.uk/advice/helpingbirds/feeding/whentofeed.aspx
 Rat trouble - sooty123
More the OH's area tbh, but I don't think she's ever left food out in the summer.
 Rat trouble - Roger.
One of the things SWMBO came back with from the gardeny shop was a bird nesting box, now happily fixed on the sheltered side of our shed.
We shall see!
I think 'er indoors spends a big bundle on fat balls (!), Niger seeds (careful how you say that) meal worms and non-growable seeds (saves spills sprouting under the feed table) for all and sundry bird visitors.
Currently as I look out of the back door, it's bath time for a trio of starlings.
Innocent pleasures.
Last edited by: Roger. on Mon 5 May 14 at 12:38
 Rat trouble - No FM2R
>>I'l need boxes too as I only what ratty scoffing it

You also need to consider where the rat will die in case it gets eaten. If you're concerned, then you may need to resort to traps.
>> >>I'l need boxes too as I only what ratty scoffing it
>>
>> You also need to consider where the rat will die in case it gets eaten.
>> If you're concerned, then you may need to resort to traps.

Thanks Mark, I'm onto that one. Spoken to both neighbours. One has a dog, the other it turns out is no longer owned by two cats. I'll check what the poison says about 'food chain' risks.

Having seen ratty again ten minutes ago and watched where she goes when disturbed I've found what look like two runs leading ) under our fence, probably to cavity below (ex cat slaves) next door's shed.
 Rat trouble - smokie
Next door neighbour said last week they'd seen a rat. I came back and told my cat he wasn't earning his keep, and two days later there was a dying but intact rat on my hall carpet in the morning.

I suspect there are probably loads more so have just bought a bait box and a load of bait to put down. But I also suspect it's not a fixable problem long term.
 Rat trouble - No FM2R
Smokie, as I mentioned, if you're cat is prone to chewing on rats, then you don't want it finding a live but poisoned one.
 Rat trouble - Pat
Just look for your local rat catcher and pay him £50 to solve the problem.

This is what I did last year when they had found their way into the heated greenhouse and with 4 cats I wasn't confident about doing anything myself with poison.

He visited three times and the problem has not returned, so worth every penny as he was able to take into account the cats who roam the garden and think it belongs to them.

Pat
>> Having seen ratty again ten minutes ago and watched where she goes when disturbed I've
>> found what look like two runs leading ) under our fence, probably to cavity below
>> (ex cat slaves) next door's shed.
>

Putting bins out tonight I was intercepted by Emma next door telling me she's seen Ratty in her garden capering around bold a brass on lawn. Sallying forth from and retreating back to under their shed.

It was back in ours while Mrs B and I were eating our dinner.

For now I've put out a couple of B&Q own brand self setting traps out to avoid omplications with poison.

Emma reckons her hubby will get it with a spade.
 Rat trouble - WillDeBeest
We both saw it yesterday, including drinking from the pond.

I understand that retirement tends to bring out people's eccentricities, but should you really be doing this?
};---)
 Rat trouble - CGNorwich
Ratzilla

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26764929
 Rat trouble - Cliff Pope
>> We both saw it yesterday, including drinking from the pond.
>>
>> I understand that retirement tends to bring out people's eccentricities, but should you really be
>> doing this?
>> };---)
>>

It has often been observed that there is a kind of truce at a waterhole between animals that would normally be at each other's throats. So both Bromptonaut and the rat can probably drink in safety.
 Rat trouble - borasport
Lose the feeders, you can always put them back later, and get any neighbours to do the same, then get the council to put poison down - I'm convinced they just snack on the stuff you can buy in shops.

We had an infestation a couple of years ago, neighbours were very proud of their decking and used to eat alfresco at every opportunity, they must have been very messy eaters and ended up with rats nests under the decking and the rats were seen in at least half a dozen gardens thereabouts.

Now I'm actually quite fond of rats, we used to have pet rats, they'd climb along the top of the seetee and nibble your ears, or climb the curtains and along the curtain poles. That level of skill and agility in little fluffly things called Biscuit and Cookie, but not what you want in dissease ridden vermin twice their size....
 Rat trouble - CGNorwich
The thing with rats is that they are never too far away from human habitation. Our lifestyles are inextricably mixed. If you leave food around they will find it . If you repeatedly top up their food supply they will keep coming back. The sighting of a rat does not mean you have an infestation. You only get problems where there is a constant food supply and somewhere to make a nest. A single rat is probably just on a foraging mission. If you remove the food supply the rat will most likely not be seen again.

If you remove the food supply and the rat disappears problem over. No need for traps, cats, terriers, poisons, rat catchers air rifles or shot guns.

It' s only a rat! :-)
My father in law likes to see birds in his garden and has a bird table. A squirrel used to climb it and 'steal' the food. He greased the pole. Now, it shouldn't be funny to watch a squirrel trying to climb a greasy pole but let me tell you...
 Rat trouble - manuel_fawlty
>> It' s only a rat! :-)

jis no a rat, jis a pet hamster
Last edited by: manuel_fawlty on Mon 5 May 14 at 19:38
 Rat trouble - No FM2R
Bromp, I don't know if this is true, but if it is it seems like a safe way forward....

"This sounds weird but, to get rid of rats, purchase a small bottle of fox urine (yes, fox urine) online and put a few drops on an old T-shirt and put it in the attic or wherever for a few days.

The rats will think a fox is in the area and they will leave."
 Rat trouble - R.P.
One consolation - maybe that's why we haven't got one. Plenty of evidence of fox pooh in our back garden....witness at least one smelly dog a week
There's a very good reason why there isn't a pub called 'The Rat and two Spaniels'. The rat wouldn't have stuck around.
 Rat trouble - R.P.
They were chasing something last night when I let them out - so far the (known) bag is one juvenile pheasant and a crow. The Springer is on bail regarding the "missing" mole.
 Rat trouble - Armel Coussine
There are foxes round us, a lot, and they come close too. Our fat old cat too, and others more fearsome. But there are still rats, attracted by the compost heap and by the chickens over there in the field.

If they become a nuisance I'll shoot some.
 Rat trouble - Cliff Pope

>>
>> purchase a small bottle of fox
>> urine (yes, fox urine) online

I thought that must be a joke until I tried googling it. Yes, you really can buy it - from Amazon, where else?

But it's in granule form, not liquid.

You can get a range of repellant urines from takethep***.com
 Rat trouble - R.P.
s239.photobucket.com/user/Quatsch1/media/rat.jpg.html

For you....
Next door turned out to be mates with the local rat catcher. Initially difficult to get ratty to take bait but when 'Matt the Rat' came round our side of fence he found a burrow and poured dose down the. All taken.

Tuesday eve the by then very sickly rat was on neighbour's lawn again. Coup de grace delivered with spade.

Unfortunately my trap caught, but didn't kill, a juvenile blackbird resulting in it losing a leg. We've been feeding 'Hoppalong' on meal worms but he's not been seen since late last week. :-(
I want to borrow the silenced .22 to deter the squirrels from the bird table. But I am being encouraged to take a 4/10. Damn noisy thing. Needs must though.
 Rat trouble - Pat
Don't you dare AC:(

Pat
 Rat trouble - Dog
>> I want to borrow the silenced .22 to deter the squirrels from the bird table

You need something like this Sire - just above Mr Buddha's head (zoom in) 100% squirrel proof:

flic.kr/p/k3nudk
 Rat trouble - Mapmaker
You might get the mods to delete that post. Setting a trap for mice/rats that is accessible by birds is an offence under either (1) the Pests Act 1954 (and its Spring Trap Approval Orders) which prohibits the use of gin and other leghold traps or (2) the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981.

You don't want the RSPB prosecuting you.

Traps should be set in tunnels.

I've reported it, hence the red unsmiley face.
Last edited by: Mapmaker on Fri 23 May 14 at 09:26
 Rat trouble - sajid
I had mice problems too, called the council and they put poison pellets and advice to empty the bins, as they be there foraging for leftowver foods.

A few weeks later not one mouse dead, bought some traps not a thing, was watching the tv, and in the corner of my eye caught a mouse staring at me and the tv and wondered to the kitchen like he owned the place.

So a little trawling at ebay, bought a electronic rat killer, it was a empty box with 20,000 volts, should a rat/mouse go there.

plan set and left some tasty bread with cheese and set to bed.

Next day the rat killer was blinking its light, looked at the box voila one dead mouse.

since it was a box you could tip the open end in the bin, set trap cleaned it first with bleach, as these mice are very cunning, set bait and waited.

not for long another mouse was a victim, it was tiny nipper, maybe looking for mum, all in all a total of 5 mice were killed in the month I had the council called over to set the baits.

money well spent
Last edited by: sajid on Fri 23 May 14 at 12:23
>> You might get the mods to delete that post. Setting a trap for mice/rats that
>> is accessible by birds is an offence under either (1) the Pests Act 1954 (and
>> its Spring Trap Approval Orders) which prohibits the use of gin and other leghold traps
>> or (2) the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981.
>>
>> You don't want the RSPB prosecuting you.
>>
>> Traps should be set in tunnels.
>>
>> I've reported it, hence the red unsmiley face.

OK, I know better now. Trap was concealed in an area where I knew ratty was running but I accept I didn't protect it well enough. Ironically, I was using it in preference to poison because of latter's food chain risk.

Content to leave exchange as it is for benefit of others who are ignorant. I'm sure RSPB have enough on their plate to not do anything more than advise householders and save prosecution for those knowingly catching birds.
 Rat trouble - Mapmaker
Sorry, I meant RSPCA.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2263806/The-Verminator-Pensioner-hauled-court-taking-air-rifle-squirrel.html
>> Sorry, I meant RSPCA.
>>
>> www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2263806/The-Verminator-Pensioner-hauled-court-taking-air-rifle-squirrel.html

Wilful action and I also suspect a failure of attitude test when challenged.
 Rat trouble - Pat
>>Sorry, I meant RSPCA.<<

I only confused you with Manatee, not the RSPB!

Pat
Having searched hard for a suitable thread, I have a sad story.

While all the adults were at a literary party in London last night, the mad little cat I mentioned upthread ran across the road over there near Haselmere and was killed. Herself got these heartbroken phone calls while we were coming back from that party. Of course the nippers are upset but there are also these four stupid black kittens. Are they big enough to survive without their barmy tart of a mother? Can't help wondering.
 Rat trouble - Pat
That's sad AC but how old are the kittens?

Four bundles of fun to look forward to!

Pat
I am told they are nearly big enough to eat solid food and that in the meantime they can be kept going with special kitten milk.
 Rat trouble - Pat
That's good news AC, white fish chicken and rice is a good starter diet for them.

Pat
 Mouse Trap score - busbee
Update
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-X-Safeset-Pre-Baited-Mouse-Traps-Easy-To-Set-Mousetrap-Mouse-Trap-/110982014429
More than 10 mice in a trap in my shed.
Same trap, same half raisin
Latest Forum Posts