Non-motoring > Surprise package Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Rudedog Replies: 18

Surprise package - Rudedog
I stopped at my local small garden centre on the way home yesterday, after I'd finished I was returning to my car when I spotted quite a nice black 911 parked near the entrance, as I passed the driver and passenger got out then the driver turned around and reached into the back of the car and brought out a Browning shotgun! he put into a slip and hung it over his shoulder and proceeded to look at the plants around the centre.

Although there are quite a few gun clubs around Biggin Hill and you often hear the constant 'pop-pop' on a Sunday morning I was taken aback by this and wondered what other peoples reaction would be when they saw the gun.
 Surprise package - R.P.
I think he did the sensible thing...better than leaving it in the car...I assume by slip you mean a cover..
 Surprise package - Zero
He has a license to carry the shotgun, and he would be breaking his license terms (and hence the law) by leaving it in an insecure location.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 19 Apr 14 at 17:28
I don't a problem with it, I often see guys walking between fields long the pathways with a covered gun over their shoulder, I was just wondering how the other shoppers were going to react in the shop when they saw it.
 Surprise package - Kevin
I think he was being a bit of a prat.

1) The gun should not be in the passenger compartment. It should be locked out of sight in the trunk.
2) Walking around in public with a shotgun, even if it's in a slip, invites misunderstanding and a possible encounter with a Taser.
3) If he was that worried about security and had such a pressing need to visit a garden centre he could have detached the fore-end or left his passenger in the car.

A simple explanation of Home Office guidelines:

forums.shootinguk.co.uk/showthread.php?1880-Carrying-a-Shotgun
 Surprise package - Runfer D'Hills
Tend to agree Kevin. Locking it in the boot at a garden centre in the middle of the day wouldn't feel too risky to me and is legal.

Wandering around the garden centre with it over his shoulder just draws attention to it and him.

As for the being a bit of a prat, well, some ( not me incidentally ) might say the car was a clue.

;-)

Surprise package - CGNorwich
How times have changed. When I was 16 I was in the school cadet corps. When returning late from weekend camp at Pirbiright .we used to take out .303 Lee Enfield rifles home with us . I regularly took min on a 129 bus and stored it in broom cupboard over the weekend.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Sat 19 Apr 14 at 18:34
 Surprise package - NortonES2
Who min?
A pet name for mine.
I call mine Max.
Best not to take it on a bus then.
 Surprise package - R.P.
Would it fit in the "boot" of a 911 ?
 Surprise package - Armel Coussine
911 is a prat's car? I wouldn't say so although of course prats can own anything.

I have to say though that garden centres, into which I am often dragged, are unfriendly places although not overtly threatening as a rule.

Nevertheless one might easily find a shooter reassuring when following herself around gloomily, just in case, although a shortened one is more discreet and better for close-quarters work.

But I mustn't teach my grandmothers to suck eggs. I know you are all on top of this one.
I did think that there wasn't going to be enough room in the 'boot' of a 911 to store it, dare I add that he also had a private plate on the car but I can't for the life of me remember what it said.
 Surprise package - R.P.
12 BOR ?
 Surprise package - Zero
SH 0T
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 19 Apr 14 at 20:08
It would go in even a small boot if taken apart.

Anyway, he may have had an agenda, who knows. Perhaps they sold him some dodgy geraniums last year and he just wanted to encourage them to improve their service levels.
 Surprise package - Dulwich Estate
I was once reliably told by a man of the cloth that the bad uns do their killing in the SE London inner areas then go back home to such places as, yes.....right in one !
 Surprise package - Armel Coussine
P13AT with a couple of rivet heads ad a bit of masking tape?
Latest Forum Posts