Non-motoring > Young Love Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Robin O'Reliant Replies: 23

Young Love - Robin O'Reliant
"A source told the newspaper that both sets of grandparents were supportive and that the couple intend to stick together and raise their child.

“They’re very into each other, totally in love. She is obsessed with him. She sees this as true love. They want to get married,” the source said".

He's 13, she's 12.
 Young Love - No FM2R
Both sets of grandparents were supportive? So they should be first against the wall. idiots.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 19 May 14 at 01:44
 Young Love - Armel Coussine
What do you think they should do FMR? Force the 12-year-old to have an abortion? Chuck the nippers and their nipper out on the street?

When it's too late for sex education, support and hostility are the only choices, unless you favour cold indifference.
>>
>>
>> When it's too late for sex education, support and hostility are the only choices, unless
>> you favour cold indifference.
>>

It's too late for sex education as soon as they get a smart phone. The girl was eleven and six months when she conceived, I don't think I knew where babies came from at that age, let alone how to make one.
 Young Love - Bromptonaut
>> It's too late for sex education as soon as they get a smart phone. The
>> girl was eleven and six months when she conceived, I don't think I knew where
>> babies came from at that age, let alone how to make one.

IIRC, in the seventies West Riding, the 'plumbing stuff' was covered in first year at grammer school, so we were 12. Even then, forty years ago, some of the girls were getting well developed physically and I guess with hindsight one or two were capable of conceiving.

Many girls and some boys now hit puberty in primary. I know from parental discussions that such was case in my daughter's year group One of the female teachers will presumably adopt the role taken by 'Matron' at the grammer school and dish out sanitary towels to those caught unawares.

Emotionally though the kids are still at the I'll show you mine if you'll show me yours stage. The progress from there to fumbled intercourse is short, direct and easily undertaken while ostensibly just listening to music.

I wonder how long it was before anyone twigged the girl was pregnant - missed/irregular periods are hardly an alarm call in early puberty. Too late for abortion to be an option? Having gone through the emotional turmoil involved once pregnancy was confirmed and birth inevitable I don't think position of grandparents is all that remarkable.
>> I wonder how long it was before anyone twigged the girl was pregnant - missed/irregular
>> periods are hardly an alarm call in early puberty. Too late for abortion to be
>> an option? Having gone through the emotional turmoil involved once pregnancy was confirmed and birth
>> inevitable I don't think position of grandparents is all that remarkable.
>>

Apparently she was eight months gone before she even realised it herself, no one else knew. As her father said when he phoned a radio talk show, "What can you do at that stage but offer support?"
 Young Love - No FM2R
>>It's too late for sex education as soon as they get a smart phone

Frankly its too late for sex education [TO START] when they are 11, smart phone or not. Its not like teaching them to ride a bike. Sex education is something which starts young and goes on for years.

Not something you start because you've suddenly notice they've got bits.

And the physical stuff (stick this bit in here and wiggle it about) is easy. Its trying to teach them about behaviours, lies & threats and relationships and all the rest that's tough.

The most difficult question I have had so far is;

"Why do people think its so much fun to do it even when they don't want to have babies?"
 Young Love - Bromptonaut

>> Frankly its too late for sex education [TO START] when they are 11, smart phone
>> or not. Its not like teaching them to ride a bike. Sex education is something
>> which starts young and goes on for years.
>>
>> Not something you start because you've suddenly notice they've got bits.

Spot on Mark and of course it's a continuous and age appropriate process that starts with a simple approach to the stuff that might be abuse. But mention 'sex education for infants' in UK public life and you're portrayed as letting five year olds try it in the Wendy House.

And the number of ignorant opinionated no brain twonks who think sex education, access to contraception and even for god's sake immunization against HPV encourages premature sex make you want to commit acts of terror against the Mail and its publisher.
 Young Love - Pat
Wonders will never cease!

Bromp and Mark speaking the SAME words of wisdom, of which I fully agree.

Pat
 Young Love - Mapmaker
I don't often disagree with you, Mark, but I don't see any alternative. I think it's nice in this day and age that both sets of grandparents are in fact still together (at the tender age of 27).

I don't get, however, how the boy isn't on the sex offenders list; she was 11. And what are they doing now? It's still illegal for them to 'do it'.
 Young Love - No FM2R
>>I don't often disagree with you, Mark, but I don't see any alternative

I guess not, but it was how gone on until this point in time which riles me. How supportive, or even aware, were they when their children started developing such a relationship? How good had they been as parents until that point?

She was 11, as you say. Dear God. Whatever they may be doing now, they are sorely guilty for the way the children have been raised, supervised and the level of attention they (the parents) have not paid.

And those children have, as a minimum, lost their own childhood and goodness knows how it will affect them detrimentally in the future.
 Young Love - Armel Coussine
>> How supportive, or even aware, were they when their children started developing such a relationship? How good had they been as parents until that point?

Quite FMR. You would expect a proper set of relations to maintain surveillance on children of that age, and run serious interference when necessary. That's what you or I would do.

But even we might be outflanked by the modern pre-adolescent. We can't follow the little brutes around all the time. All it takes is a quick one behind the bike sheds.

I can't say I envy those nippers, although I would have been green with envy when I was (frankly) a bit older than them... I'm afraid nuclear tests, or the internet, or something anyway, has interfered with whatever it was that kept us chaste until our mid-teens at least. I don't approve, but what can you do?
>>
>> I don't get, however, how the boy isn't on the sex offenders list; she was
>> 11. And what are they doing now? It's still illegal for them to 'do it'.
>>

She was 11, he was 12.

Hardly fair to put one on the register and not the other.

Young Love - Mapmaker
>>Hardly fair to put one on the register and not the other.

But the girl was 11. What sort of consent can she give at that age?

Meanwhile boys as young as 10 can be convicted of rape, thanks to the Sexual Offences Act 1993.

The baby should be taken away by social services, to the benefit of all seven parties, and the boy should be in court.
 Young Love - Bromptonaut
>> But the girl was 11. What sort of consent can she give at that age?
>>
>> Meanwhile boys as young as 10 can be convicted of rape, thanks to the Sexual
>> Offences Act 1993.
>>
>>
>> The baby should be taken away by social services, to the benefit of all seven
>> parties, and the boy should be in court.

What possible good would any of that do? The fact that a boy of 10 can be convicted of rape, if say he in some way forces himself on an eight year old, is at best of marginal relevance.

In the absence of any other account it seems the pregnancy was the result of adolescent fumbling. The parties are close in age, were apparently 'going out' and were probably equals in terms of initiating and continuing the sex act. Unless a parent or social services suggest exploitation there's no mileage in criminalising the boy.

Do you really think it would discourage the next couple of hormone driven fumblers? Seems to me at same level of thinking as those who think no sex education = minds like driven snow.

Similarly with putting the baby in care. If the two families are supportive and can bring it up then there's unlikely to be any legal ground for a care order.
 Young Love - Mapmaker
Ridiculous liberal sentiment, Bromp. Looks caring, but goes nowhere near the problem.

"What possible good?" you ask.

A boy of the age of 12 knows he can be expelled from school for throwing ink pellets at the teacher, and therefore doesn't. If he knows that the consequence of taking a child to bed is the rest of his life on the sex offenders list, then he wouldn't. Children understand right from wrong; they didn't understand this was wrong.

"result of adolescent fumbling"

No. The result of penetrative sexual intercourse. And I bet they've done rather a lot of it. And I bet their parents know.

>>Similarly with putting the baby in care.

I didn't suggest that, and I would agree with you wholeheartedly. Putting a child into care is not the work of a caring society. Adoption of a child at a few days old, however, is quite a different matter.

Why do you want to deny these children - aged 12 and 13 - a childhood because they're saddled with a child of their own.

I do think the children should quite possibly be taken into care though.

And why do you want to deny the baby the opportunity of being brought up by grown ups?
Last edited by: Mapmaker on Thu 17 Apr 14 at 14:24
 Young Love - Bromptonaut
Mapmaker,

EDIT - I'VE USED SOME EXPLICIT BIOLOGY IN THIS POST. IT IT OFFENDS READ NO FURTHER.

You call it ridiculous liberal sentiment, I call it pragmatic and experience based.

The ink pellets analogy is itself ridiculous. Apart from fact that there will still be plenty of lads ready to chance it comparing the drivers for classroom mischief and sex immediately after puberty makes bananas and elephants look quite similar!!

They may well have had full penetrative intercourse but we don't know that. My recollection of sex education was a warning about getting an unprotected penis anywhere near the vagina - it only needs one sperm to be the Captain Webb of its cohort!!

If they did 'go the distance' it may have developed from what our parent's generation called heavy petting. She might have egged him on. If he'd never ejaculated before the fact that he suddenly did so could have been utterly unanticipated.

Nobody knows if they'd done 'it' once or ten times still less if the parents knew and connived. I would hope Social Services would ask questions to determine if there was any abuse or parental connivance and as to the exact circumstances leading to conception but if they didn't find anything untoward then action should be limited to advice.

Wouldn't dream in this day and age of stopping my son or daughter having a friend of the opposite sex in their bedroom to listen to music or whatever. OTOH I wouldn't leave them in house alone. Prefer room door to be open and if not then I might stomp about a bit with later teens but year sevens???

Your first post suggested the child be taken away by Social Services which I took to mean adoption. I'm still not convinced that any care action of that sort, or if directed at the young parents themselves, would pass a court's 'best interests' test.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Thu 17 Apr 14 at 15:29
 Young Love - Mapmaker
>>They may well have had full penetrative intercourse but we don't know that.

Really? If they hadn't, it would have been in the papers. The grandparents are telling us what a permanent and loving relationship this is, and that they want to get married.

Girl gave birth to a 7 lb child, aged 12, and didn't 'realise' - i.e. parents didn't find out until 8 months. Must be a fat child.
 Young Love - sooty123
Must be a fat child.

Not at all might be the opposite. I remember the story of the soldier who didn't realise she was pregnant. Marathon runner, athletic build, didn't notice till she was giving birth when having a bath. OK she won't be a runner, but could be slim for age/height/size that could hide it. If a fulyl grown women with friends and family didn't notice then not unbelieveable that a 12 year old's family might not notice.
 Young Love - CGNorwich

>> “They’re very into each other"

Therein lies the problem
 Young Love - Westpig
It's not the kids fault is it...and by that I mean the new parents.
 Young Love - bathtub tom
Joan Collins made a pertinent statement, years ago:

"Can't they put something in their water?"
 Young Love - Dog
This could so easily have happened to me because I started my sexual shenanigans with members of the opposite
sex when I was 8 years old, with Francis who lived next door to me.

And then there was Beverly, Linda, Gillian, Hazel, Christine, Barbara etc. etc.

Fortunately 'the act' didn't take place until I was 15, with Lorna who, luckily for me, was older and wiser than me,
or I could have been a dad at the age of 15.

On the one hand I think it's wonderful that two children have made a baby.

But on the other hand I think of their futures - all 3 of them, and so it would have been better if they were lucky,
like I was back then.
 Young Love - Falkirk Bairn
One of the grannies is 27!

Obviously another "early starter" whose daughter beat her to the punch!

When I was 15 an "early starter" was ham & eggs at a Little Chef!
Latest Forum Posts