Non-motoring > fossil or hand grenade? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: NortonES2 Replies: 11

fossil or hand grenade? - NortonES2
Couldn't be made up! Apparently the finder of WW2 grenade brought it into a beach visitor centre to enquire what it was.

BBC: www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-27031965
Local paper: www.wessexfm.com/news/dorset-news/1257783/live-grenade-presented-to-charmouth-beach-staff-silly/
 fossil or hand grenade? - No FM2R
Always someone ready to go that extra step....

www.smh.com.au/world/seven-dead-after-scrap-metal-workers-cut-open-wwii-bomb-in-bangkok-20140403-zqpwf.html
 fossil or hand grenade? - R.P.
Doh.... I was talking to a local bobby hereabouts on my wanderings around the county a few months ago. Seems that large tracts of land around Trawsfynydd was an RA training atrea of some size before and during WW1. Bits are always being found. A shell was found one afternoon and the Bomb Squad called. They got there and dealt with it. They heard some tap tapping noise in the woods and followed the sounds and came across a local attacking another shell with a hammer and chisel trying to get the nose cone off...
 fossil or hand grenade? - Fenlander
>>>came across a local attacking another shell with a hammer and chisel trying to get the nose cone off...

ha ha... I said in another thread my desk paperweight is just such an item... wondered where they got them from.
 fossil or hand grenade? - Cliff Pope
Here's one I dug up this evening, during work on our drive:

i151.photobucket.com/albums/s138/Cliffordpope/IMG_4493.jpg
 fossil or hand grenade? - Armel Coussine
Any idea what it is CP? Looks more like a milk churn than a piece of ordnance. But I wouldn't really know.

Don't be tempted to attack it with a big hammer and cold chisel, just in case. We wouldn't want to read about you in that excellent paper the Sun.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Wed 16 Apr 14 at 19:45
Shell casing. Walk slowly away:)
 fossil or hand grenade? - Armel Coussine
A bit of discreet scraping at the sort of rim towards the bottom of the thing might disclose whether it was a copper driving band. If it's steel, that isn't a shell casing. The shape is a bit odd, more like a big cartridge. But as I say, I'm no expert on WW1 heavy ordnance.
 fossil or hand grenade? - Zero
>> Here's one I dug up this evening, during work on our drive:
>>
>>
>>
>> i151.photobucket.com/albums/s138/Cliffordpope/IMG_4493.jpg

Not a shell casing. That ridge round the base means you couldn't get it into the breech.
cartridgecollectors.org/?page=introduction-to-artillery-shells-and-shell-casings
Rimmed. Separated ammunition.
The photograph doesn't show the scale - it's actually about a foot long.
It's made of cast iron, quite heavy, hollow, but with some kind of obstruction just inside the narrow end. I suspected it's some kind of water pipe or part of a pumping device - there are lots of old iron pipes around the place feeding the original water supply.

I knew it wasn't a live shell, but it was fun pretending as I attacked its encrustation with a spade and told everyone to stand well back.

I've dug up quite a lot of stuff over the years - an old plough, bits of cast iron farm machinery, an old lorry chassis, and dozens of horse shoes in all sizes, some enormous.
Farmers just dump things and it all gets covered over.
Further investigation (I am fascinated now) shows the blockage at the end is a piston - seized solid. In fact the thing resembles a giant clutch slave cylinder, complete with the recessed dome for the push-rod, about 3" bore. Perhaps some hydraulic part from a digger?
Latest Forum Posts