Non-motoring > Holiday plans for 2014 where you going? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: RattleandSmoke Replies: 59

Holiday plans for 2014 where you going? - RattleandSmoke
In bed with flu/heyfever/notsure symptons, got a really cough and feel very achy so I am not going out tonight which has got me thinking about holidays (the only thing I have to look forward to)

Just wondered what peoples plans were, I am having one night in Blackpool for May bank holiday for a computer games exhibition and then to Spain towards the end of May. I did want to go another train trip like I did last year but just works out too expensive, it is costing me £320 for 7 nights in a 4 star hotel in Calella on a half board basis considering I normally spend £250-£300 just for three nights in Torquay that takes some beating although it will be a long coach journey (26-27 hours from Manchester!) that is door to door.

I don't mind the coach as it forced me to relax and I tend to watch a lot of music docs/films on my table to help pass the time.

No doubt there will be some family breaks during the summer and then I am probably going to a punk rock festival for four nights in Blackpool in August depending on who else is going. I might be starting a college course in September but if I have enough cash I might do a very cheap allocation on arrival coach trip to Spain late August.

I usually go camping in Anglesey for a few nights but I don't think I can be bothered this year unless any of mates go.

Of course all this depends how much my MOT will cost which I have booked in for just over a weeks time!

Holiday plans for 2014 where you going? - Westpig
Scottish Highlands in August...will be staying in f-i-l's cottage, whilst he and his missus vacate and go and stay in their own hotel down the road...so we can keep out costs down...as we are trying to do up our house and get a new business off the ground.

I've promised the wife and kids a full on Disney Florida trip in 2016 when a big endowment pays out.
 Holiday plans for 2014 where you going? - Fullchat
Florida :))

Have you been before WP?

Love it. Want to go for a third visit but would you believe it some resistance from FC juniors.

I hear they are having a problem with mice at Disney.

I've got my coat on.
>> Florida :))
>>
>> Have you been before WP?

Yes. I love it as well.

Last time was in 2010. I took my wife who'd never been and my then 2.5 year old son. We had a villa for 2 weeks...absolutely fantastic. The only thing I could fault was the food..a bit samey. Next time I'll do some research first and work out where the good restaurants are.

Wasn't the cheapest holiday, although some of that was my fault for doing it through Virgin Holidays and not scrimping on anything.

Er indoors awarded it a 9/10, which is praise indeed for her.

The villa was the way to do it with a young child...bung him in bed, then sit out by the pool with a glass of red...

....happy days.
 Holiday plans for 2014 where you going? - Fullchat
Biggest job with my 2 was prizing them away from the villa pool to get to the parks. Did their 10th birthday at Discovery Cove and bought the birthday pack. Randomly selected (so they thought) for a special swim with the Dolphins. Tear to the eye and all that.
Couple of years later went to Hull fair which is pretty spectacular if you know no different. Not long before they wanted to go home. Pretty carp in comparison. So we had to book again. Shame! I only go for the firework displays - Epcot / Seaworld.
>> Did their 10th birthday at Discovery Cove and bought the birthday pack.
>> Randomly selected (so they thought) for a special swim with the Dolphins. Tear to the
>> eye and all that.

Didn't think I'd like the Seaworld stuff to be honest. Madam wanted to go, so off we went..and fair enough I enjoyed it, slick and impressive.

Seeing my 2.5 year old meet Mickey & Minnie Mouse was my lump in the throat moment, the expressions on his face were unreal.

Amazingly, now he's 6, he reckons he can remember some of it.
 Holiday plans for 2014 where you going? - swiss tony
>> Amazingly, now he's 6, he reckons he can remember some of it.
>

I can remember things from when I was 1/8 months and 4 years old.
My dear departed mum was amazed when I told her those memories, which she agreed happened. I was in my 20's when I told her, still remember them now I'm past 50.

Now... what did I do with my keys 5 minutes ago???
 Holiday plans for 2014 where you going? - Zero
Had 7 days cruise round the canaries, 7 days in Alicante in may (friend has an apartment, fly in and hire car) and 5 days in France in June - driving.
 Holiday plans for 2014 where you going? - Skip
Cornwall in May (somewhere I never tire of going to), am looking at cottages now actually. Will have another week away in July and another in September but not sure where yet, possibly Dorset and N Yorkshire. No desire to go abroad anymore.
Last edited by: Skip on Sat 12 Apr 14 at 18:33
I love Cornwall, is a bit of a pain to get to if you don't like driving though so I usually only end up as far as Devon. A bit bored of the UK now though, I think we are going to Whitby with the family this year.

I don't open go to Scotland as as being from Manchester all I ever see is the clouds (it hardly rains here but it is hardly ever sunny either) so I always tend to go to warmer places. Sometimes end up in Brighton as it is a very quick journey from Manchester by train but the city itself is not that great.

I like Spain because apart from the long coach journey the weather is usually much nicer and it is a lot cheaper. I found prices in Calella to be far cheaper than the UK and cheap even by Spanish standards.

Holiday plans for 2014 where you going? - Robin O'Reliant
I've booked a week at Windowsill Bay.
 Holiday plans for 2014 where you going? - Kevin
Maldives in a few weeks time, first time we'll have been on an A380. Then, either Cuba or somewhere else in the Caribbean Nov/Dec depending on what my new employer has lined up for me.
 Holiday plans for 2014 where you going? - Roger.
Nowhere.
Well, we had 10 years holiday in Spain !
 Holiday plans for 2014 where you going? - No FM2R
Kevin -

Cuba fast becoming less fun. Depending on what you're looking for in a holiday, consider moving around in the Dominican Republic.
 Holiday plans for 2014 where you going? - BobbyG
Obzor in Bulgaria to my aunts villa.

love it there
 Holiday plans for 2014 where you going? - Kevin
>Cuba fast becoming less fun.

It's changing alright but I'm not sure that "less fun" is true.

>..consider moving around in the Dominican Republic.

Mrs K always dismisses Dom Rep. after one of her friends was seriously ill there.

She's a beach/snorkelling junkie but I'm trying to convince her that Costa Rica might be OK.
>>a 4 star hotel in Calella

I have since travelled the world, but the first place I ever went abroad, when I was about 12, was Calella with my parents. I think we stayed at the Hotel Cala.

I was entranced by the whole thing, and that was the single reason why I have travelled so much since.

I shall never go back because I absolutely loved it at the time and would not like any images destroyed.
But this year, a cottage in Port Isaac for the second year running, with a bit of luck.
What I like about Calella is it is an old fishing town with a tourist bit built onto it towards the light house. Much of the original town remains and is as a much more Spanish feel to it than Lloret or Salou which are just Blackpool abroad. I was very surprised when I found the old town just how authentic it was considering it was just 500km from all the 1960s/70s package holiday hotels.

The night life is also good although it is popular with young German students they are easy to avoid.

My first ever trip abroad was Paris with the college, the entire trip cost just £100 and was supposed to be an education thing and we supposed to visit workshops etc. In reality our tutors told us they are not worth bothering and just spend your time in the theme park and bars if you could get served. The result a bunch of 100 or so drunk teenagers. Would never be allowed now and it was only 14 years ago!.

I regret not visiting Germany this year, was supposed to go in March but have been far too busy but will probably go in November now.

For God's sake Rattle, you just need to get your finger out - You cannot rely on a 1 week package tour per year to get to know the world.

For goodness sakes go somewhere a bit adventurous. Otherwise you're going to end up a very disappointed and bored old man. Even older than you are today.

Surely you must have some ambition to do difficult, challenging or exciting stuff rather than just dedicating your energy into determining excellent excuses for not doing so.

Have you seen a proper desert? What about an active volcano? a cloud forest, a mountain, a deserted beach, and lovely old forest, a jungle, a wild animal bigger than a pony, people who thing white is weird, people who eat stuff you keep as pets, the Northern Lights, different city centres, different religions, different climates etc. etc. etc.

There's a whole world out there.
 Holiday plans for 2014 where you going? - Dog
Leave the chap alone Mark, we can't all be Alan Whickers like you, have a listen to this instead:

www.flowerpowerradio.com/
 Holiday plans for 2014 where you going? - Cockle
Week on a Turkish gulet then bus down the coast to spend 10 days with No1 son and his girlfriend at a friend's complex in June/July.

Week at a cottage in Scottish Highlands with the extended Geordie family and No2 son in September.

Best of all world's IMHO.

Holiday plans for 2014 where you going? - Runfer D'Hills
Tuscany in the spring, Vendee in the summer and New York in the autumn. Punctuated by various work trips to Scotland, Ireland, Denmark, Italy, Germany and USA.
 Holiday plans for 2014 where you going? - Stuu
A week in Suffolk at the end of the summer, very comfortable lodge on a holiday park, just far enough away from home to feel cut off but only an hour and a half away. Couldnt face the drive back from Devon this year, last year I was sooo tired on the way back but hope to go back down the SW next year, maybe Torquay.
 Holiday plans for 2014 where you going? - sooty123
Not much on these year, a week in a cottage. Possibly a trip to the US later in the year. Various work trips to the middle east and Europe.
 Holiday plans for 2014 where you going? - Duncan
A cruise round the British Isles, calling at - among other places - Scottish islands, Dublin, Scillies, Channel Islands and Honfleur.
>> A cruise round the British Isles, calling at - among other places - Scottish islands,
>> Dublin, Scillies, Channel Islands and Honfleur.
>>

That's one cruise that I would quite like to the sound of.
>>Leave the chap alone Mark,

Not the point, Arjades.

The thing is if I had been that age and all that stood between me and a wonderful life exploring was some bloke on the internet nagging me, then I would have been very grateful for the nagging.

Holiday plans for 2014 where you going? - legacylad
Stop this talk about Disneyland & Florida .

My gf is due to become a gran soon and wants to take the sprog there as soon as it can appreciate it. Stuff that. I'm not going along. Instead I have told her I will get sprogling on a snowboard by the age of 4.
Nature made, in my umble opinion, is always 100x better than man made. If it's good, I might even take it on the John Muir Trail when old enough, lying in your bag listening to coyotes howling at night. Assuming my lungs are still working then.

Disney. Pah.
Entirely agree about the outdoors life, but don't discount the Orlando area in general and Disney in particular. Loads of fun to be had.

Done much in Montana?
 Holiday plans for 2014 where you going? - legacylad
Skied at Whitefish. Nice old town, good skiing with a little over 3000 acres so not comparable to large European resorts. Would return when next in the area.
Initially 5 days skiing in Revelstoke BC ( largest vertical drop in North America) where we stayed at Monashee Lodge, which I thoroughly recommend. My chums had 2 days heli skiing with a very professional outfit called Selkirk Tangiers. About 8 rides a day, two guides, and flying even in poor viz which would ground most choppers. I so wish I could ski properly in powder!
Road trip back to northern CA via Missoula, Twin Bridges, thru Idaho, then picked up 80 thru Nevada. Jolly good fun but spring conditions deterred us from too much skiing towards the end of the jaunt. Spoilt early on with great snow conditions so headed back for sun, margeritas and decent Mexican food.
 Holiday plans for 2014 where you going? - Fursty Ferret
Just got back from two weeks island hopping around the Caribbean.
 Holiday plans for 2014 where you going? - Ambo
Sidmouth. It's come to that.
 Holiday plans for 2014 where you going? - Clk Sec
We stayed there for a few days back in the late 90s. There was a music festival on at the time which was most enjoyable and the hotel we stayed at was excellent, but we didn't take to the place itself and haven't returned since.

However, a colleague of mine spent a week there during the same year and loved it.
 Holiday plans for 2014 where you going? - R.P.
Off to the Somme in a couple of weeks with a friend for a few days then flying to New England (Boston) in June....
 Holiday plans for 2014 where you going? - Meldrew
A week in a Tenerife hotel and a 7 day cruise out of Dover plus a train trip from London to Wick and back, using some Reward Points.
 Holiday plans for 2014 where you going? - Duncan
>> I might even take it on the John Muir Trail when old enough, lying
>> in your bag listening to coyotes howling at night.

Saying "Oh My GOD!!!

What's that noise?

What's that noise?

Is it a bear or a rattlesnake??"
 Holiday plans for 2014 where you going? - Bromptonaut
Caravan to France for three weeks plus in school summer hols (Mrs B teaches) and other places too - assuming we get round to fitting the towbar and sourcing the van in time.

Otherwise France in our Khyam Rigidome tent. In spite of being 21 and 19 the offspring are still intent on joining us.

Mrs B and I might follow up last year's fly/drive and apartment to Med in autumn. Last year's trip to Majorca was a first dipping of toe in that water and thoroughly enjoyed.
 Holiday plans for 2014 where you going? - Runfer D'Hills
You do know that one of the most hated and despised things to happen to most drivers is to get stuck behind a caravan being pulled by pensioner in a diesel Berlingo?

;-)
"Otherwise France in our Khyam Rigidome tent. In spite of being 21 and 19 the offspring are still intent on joining us."

I wouldn't have been seen dead on holiday with my parents after I was 16
Last edited by: Skip on Sun 13 Apr 14 at 11:58
 Holiday plans for 2014 where you going? - sherlock47
>>>In spite of being 21 and 19 the offspring are still intent on joining us. <<<

Anything for a free meal or a bottle of vin!

Just make sure they suffer the journey in the cramped back seats. Last time we did something similar, travel plans had to be modified to include collecting and dropping offspring at Toulouse Airport.
 Holiday plans for 2014 where you going? - DP
A week in Weymouth next week at a place we've been back to a few times now.

10 nights in the north of Italy in August at a Eurocamp near Venice, followed by a couple more nights with friends near Lake Garda. We will be driving again, with overnight stops in Germany both ways. Last hurrah for the 320d before it gets replaced in early 2015. Just hope it munches the distance as effortlessly, reliably and frugally as it did 2 years previously.
 Holiday plans for 2014 where you going? - Lygonos
Ribble Valley (Yorks/Lancs) at Easter - woodland cottage

Dove Valley (Peak District) in summer - farmland cottage (followed by 1 night at Blackpool which the weans enjoy)

Pretty much every weekend in Tweed Valley at own cottage in Scottish Borders.
 Holiday plans for 2014 where you going? - Clk Sec
>>A week in Weymouth

Same here sometime later this year. We haven't booked yet, though.
 Holiday plans for 2014 where you going? - smokie
Had nearly 3 weeks in Florida in March, 20 nights, stayed in 7 locations, including some freebies (at mates houses), cheapies (couple of nights camping at a motor race track) and some expensive ones (5 nights in Key West).

Next major break is Aug when we have a flat right on the Royal Mile for the Comedy Fringe for a week. Acts are being announced now and we already have quite a few tickets to get booked. Won't be cheap but will enjoy it.

SWMBO is talking about a Med cruise around Oct. time. She doesn't do the Florida trip but is off to somewhere Greek with a buddy for 10 days in a few weeks time.
 Holiday plans for 2014 where you going? - Armel Coussine
Farmland, South Downs, forest, wetlands (latterly but no longer a bit wetter than usual), the deer lying low at present, privacy apart from nippers randomly pitching tents about the place, drinks on the lawn at the other end, idyllic really day in day out, youngest descendant six today (but not until 9 o'clock this evening, she specified earnestly)... undeserved privilege... hols, who needs'em...

Someone is blowing stuff up within earshot, a big distant boom every half hour or so. Perhaps it's the Russians shelling the other side of the Downs to soften us up.
 Holiday plans for 2014 where you going? - matt a
A week in the Alps in early August and a week chasing salmon on the Tweed in late August
 Holiday plans for 2014 where you going? - ....
Quick splash and dash long weekend to Northumberland and Edinburgh in May.

LEGOLand in July - still to make our minds up between Ulm and Windsor.

Hoping to get a week away in August somewhere. Will be a last minute online booking. I fancy Berlin or Prague by train for a change. Will no doubt end up on a plane somewhere further south when comparing prices back to back at the time. Dubai was a thought though the desert in August might be a bit much. Last time I went through there in July it was 38C at midnight.

Done the Berlin trip by train, well as a compromise we flew there and got the train back via Amsterdam and Paris.

Don't remember that much about Berlin, but I know I have been hooked on German beer ever since and I remember the most odd thing about is was seeing some TX4s being used as taxis as well as the usual E classes.
 Holiday plans for 2014 where you going? - Paul Robinson
On holiday at the moment - a week in Sorrento so we can visit Pompei. Then Corfu in August and Cape Verde in December. I know it seems like a lot of trips, but I do find that working from home, if I don't go away then I don't gat a break ......
 Holiday plans for 2014 where you going? - Zero
>> On holiday at the moment - a week in Sorrento so we can visit Pompei.
>> Then Corfu in August and Cape Verde in December. I know it seems like a
>> lot of trips, but I do find that working from home, if I don't go
>> away then I don't gat a break ......
>>

Ooo Let us know how the Cale Verde trip goes, thats on my "thats a possibility" list, being a (fairly) new holiday destination.
My sister went to Cape Verde a few years ago and is possibly going again this year. If you want to go it is best to go soon, the place is being built on quite heavily and in ten years time it will probably just look any other tourist type resort with lots of high rise all inclusive hotels etc.

Paul I have the same problem when I am at home I work, I am still quite ill and now got quite a bruised chest due to asthma but still worked during most of today. While I do go out at weekends the only time I get a proper break is when I am holiday. I can't afford luxury holidays so that is why the cheap coach trips to Spain are ideal for me. I get a good 9 days off work for little more than £300 bearing in mind that I will probably loose some money too as I will have to turn some jobs away.

May for some reason is always very quiet, so taking late May off is idea.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Sun 13 Apr 14 at 20:32
 Holiday plans for 2014 where you going? - Paul Robinson
Zero, everyone we know who's been to Cape Verde says the same as Rats. Will update you in January!
 Holiday plans for 2014 where you going? - FocalPoint
We've had a week on Tenerife and a long weekend in Cornwall so far this year. Typing this in a hotel in Amsterdam - another short break. Due in Newcastle and Leeds for another long weekend soon. That's probably it until September, when it will be a fortnight in Greece or somewhere warm. We're wondering
to do New Zealand next year, before we get too old to cope with the long flight.
Last edited by: FocalPoint on Sun 13 Apr 14 at 21:53
It must be all the pain killers I have been on and the fact I was tripping over computers as I am so busy at the moment I have stupidly gone and booked two nights in Torquay for the week after next. Is the day after my MOT which is probably not too clever.

I just could not resist the £60 offer for two nights :). Will get a Megabus down to Bristol then a train from there. Will cost about £90 for two nights including travel from Manchester not too bad I guess. Just hope the weather is not too wet!
 Holiday plans for 2014 where you going? - rtj70
>> Will cost about £90 for two nights including travel from Manchester not too bad I guess.

We're off to Greece again in just over 2 weeks. For the two of us flying from Manchester to Lesvos it was £593 total. And that includes coach transfers to accommodation and of course the accommodation. Makes £90 for two nights sound expensive to me.

We had a week in Andalucia last month and still to plan another two holidays - June/July and then Sept/Oct. I have a total of 38 days holiday (plus the Bank Holidays) to use. Still got around 20 days to book! Best get planning.
The UK is always very expensive to book though is just a cheap way of getting some palm trees and blue sea (without the temperatures) until I go to Spain. It also means I might now be able to wait to the first week in June to go to Spain as the weather may be better but it is always a gamble.

It is about 350 miles away so it feels far enough to be almost abroad yet still very English. Having had two holidays in Spain last year I am missing the UK a little bit, although I did have two nights in Cardiff in November.

£600 is a good price for two weeks, although as you will be sharing a hotel room that makes things a little cheaper. I bet the price for just one person would still have been around £400.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Sun 13 Apr 14 at 23:58
 Holiday plans for 2014 where you going? - Crankcase

>> It is about 350 miles away so it feels far enough to be almost abroad

I'm not one to jump on the "Rattle should be going to Nepal because I did and I liked it so I can't for the life of me understand anyone else's point of view" bandwagon - but it's nearer 250 miles to Torquay from Manchester, Rattle.

Unless your bus takes a very circuitous route!

As for holiday, for us it's a long weekend making pots in Stoke in a week or two, then a couple of days in Oxford to see an unpopular beat combo, a week in Chirk in May which also involves going down that longest zip wire in Europe thing, and then a week walking the St Cuthbert's Way in August.

The rest of my holiday, a few days, needs to be kept aside for the inevitable boiler service, deliveries, and general domestic need-to-be-innery that always happens throughout the year.

Holiday plans for 2014 where you going? - Gromit
2 1/2 weeks camping in Western France this year, booked as soon as 2014 schedule came available on Brittany Ferries to get our choice of dates and cabin on the once-weekly crossing to Roscoff.

We try to base ourselves in a different part of France each year, always a trade off between likely weather, where we've already been and how long a drive the kids might tolerate yo get there. Longest run we've done was to Lacaneau Ocean when eldest was 3. She slept to within the last hour of a 10 hour drive, only waking for lunch stop. Ideal!
 Holiday plans for 2014 where you going? - Telb
Already had 6 weeks in the caravan in SW Spain in Jan/Feb. Next big trip is a similar time in France in June/July, crossing to Bilbao and towing into Biarritz area. Then touring through France and crossing back from Ouistreham. Retirement's great once the health issues are sorted!
Latest Forum Posts