Non-motoring > Electricity consumption while away from home Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Tooslow Replies: 54

Electricity consumption while away from home - Tooslow
How much electricity does your house use while you're away?

I took a reading before going on holiday and another upon return. It worked out at 3 units per day. It seems a lot but I'm hoping you can offer some comparison.

Thanks,
JH
 Electricity consumption while away from home - Zero
wellllllllllll

My house "tickover" consumption (according to my monitor) is 290-300 watts. That incldues electric clocks (microwave, oven, bedroom, central heating timer) wireless internet router, and items on standby (PVR, Stereo)

Electricity consumption while away from home - bathtub tom
Fridge, freezer?
and them, yes forgot them. Two fridges and a freezer.
 Electricity consumption while away from home - VxFan
>> Fridge, freezer?

Security lights?
 Electricity consumption while away from home - Iffy
The old - or new - boiler will use a bit I imagine.

My electric garage door is always 'listening' for the plipper, so that'll be another few watts.
 Electricity consumption while away from home - Alastairw
With everything off (ie: fridge not actually running the motor) the lowest I can get to is 80 watts.
Last edited by: Alastairw on Sat 19 Jun 10 at 22:41
 Electricity consumption while away from home - R.P.
1.4p an hour according to the electricity monitoring dooda thingy....can't get it below that.
 Electricity consumption while away from home - Runfer D'Hills
>> 1.4p an hour........

Do retired people really do stuff like this ?

:-)
 Electricity consumption while away from home - rtj70
>> With everything off (ie: fridge not actually running the motor) the lowest I can get
>> to is 80 watts.
>>

So not everything off ;-)
 Electricity consumption while away from home - Stuu
About 110 watts with the fridge and broadband on, plus TV and sky box on standby, ie first thing in the morning.
 Electricity consumption while away from home - devonite
when in "pub" mode our house uses 20watts, that is:

Power to combi-boiler
Router & telephone answer machine
Fishtank
bedroom clock

Occasionally, fridge/freezer kicks in and lifts it to 210 watts.
 Electricity consumption while away from home - Dog
About 90w with VCR, DVD on stand by + fridge and separate freezer.
So that's 19p per day.
 Electricity consumption while away from home - Cliff Pope
The wiring can't be be absolutely 100.00000000000% insulated, so there would I imagine be an irreducible consumption simply from leakage.
I imagine the meter itself will use a tiny bit, so nil consumption is not possible unless you take out the board's main fuse,
 Electricity consumption while away from home - Focusless
>> I imagine the meter itself will use a tiny bit

Just had a look at our rotating disk-type meter, and it says 2W on it (and I think it is referring to power consumption).
 Electricity consumption while away from home - Manatee
>> With everything off (ie: fridge not actually running the motor) the lowest I can get
>> to is 80 watts.
>>

You've got a leak. Have you switched off all the empty sockets? If they are un-switched, you could try some of those blanking plugs they sell to stop children poking their fingers in.

P.S. - empty light sockets will also leak if the switch is in the on position.
Last edited by: Manatee on Sun 20 Jun 10 at 10:15
 Electricity consumption while away from home - Bellboy
are you paying for the streetlight outside
this came in a few years ago under the blair regime
adopt a carncil light post
maybe you didnt get the square circular letter?
 Electricity consumption while away from home - BiggerBadderDave
I dread to think what mine is.

I don't switch anything off.
 Electricity consumption while away from home - RattleandSmoke
We have one of them digital meters now but I miss the old analogue ones, you could tell roughly how much you were using simply by watching the disc go round. Now the only way to measure it is to compare meter readings or buy one of them gadgets.
 Electricity consumption while away from home - Bromptonaut
Well that was quite interesting. I've also just acquired on of those wifi devices to monitor consumption. Idling with just the usual stuff like fridges & phones switched on I'm running at around 3/400 watts. Then thought we'd see if we could manage to identify everything using leccy.

Eventually got it to zero but discovered a few things on the way:-

- I had a redundant door bell transformer drawing a few watts
- My smoke alarms (on their own spur) draw more current then you'd think
- The bread maker draws current even when switched off
- There are a frightening number of idling PSU's in the house which ought to be switched off when we're away
- The downstairs lighting circuit is drawing even when all the lights are off; possibly the fan in the downstairs bog but further investigation needed.
 Electricity consumption while away from home - Arctophile
My freebie electricity monitor came last week.

Here we are, a sunny afternoon, the house is 'idling', the PC is doing a virus scan: total = 104 watts.
Thanks you lot, you are a mine of information. I reckon 3 units equates to about 125 watts so it looks as though I'm in the right region. Fridge/freezer, video recorder, anything with a timer on it, garage door sensor, burglar alarm & sensors, outside light sensors etc etc

JH

>> I reckon 3 units equates to about 125 watts

I see - 3 units per day = 3kwh over 24 hours so house rating is 3000/24. Just looked at our Eon energy usage history and last year we averaged about 15 units per day over the summer - that's 625 watts :(

I requested our free monitor a few weeks ago but they said it might take up to 3 months due to high demand/short supply.
How much energy do these monitors draw? Has anyone measured that, or are the battery powered?

Not got one myself, not that I'm that bothered. I'm terrible for leaving things switched on though.

Wonder what the next gadget will be that people get hysterical about?
 Electricity consumption while away from home - Clk Sec
>>How much energy do these monitors draw?

You could start another thread with that one, DD.
Battery powered seem to last over a year at least. Mine was a freebie from someone or other.
>> Battery powered seem to last over a year at least.

Surely they still plug into the mains to do their monitoring though?

>> Mine was a freebie from someone or other.

I forgot to mention we're getting one shortly (also a freebie) for changing over our electricity and gas supply from British Gas to Scottish and Southern Energy. Might be interesting to actually see how much the household wastes. Forever telling my mother she doesn't need to fill the kettle right up to boil it - makes no difference though, she still does.
>> Forever telling my mother she doesn't need
>> to fill the kettle right up to boil it - makes no difference though, she
>> still does.

Say it takes an extra 30(?) seconds and it's a 3kW 'rapid boil' kettle. So that's 3 * 30 / (60 * 60) = 0.025 units - that wouldn't be significant in our house (15 units per day).

EDIT: perhaps 30 seconds isn't realistic for a whole kettle - 2 mins? 4 times a day? That's 0.4 units - perhaps starting to be worth thinking about.
Last edited by: Focus on Sun 20 Jun 10 at 17:32
Surely they still plug into the mains to do their monitoring though?

The remote sensor clips to the mains feed by the meter that then transmits its reading to the meter. Dunno how reliable they are but a bit of fun really...:-)
>> The remote sensor clips to the mains feed by the meter that then transmits its
>> reading to the meter.

Does the sensor need a battery or does it manage to bleed some power from the cable (inductance?)?
I can't remember, I think it had one of them hearing aid batteries...
>> I think it had one of them hearing aid batteries...

Pardon!
I thought they relied on inductance?

JH
I'll go and look now.
It has got batteries. Usefully we were also given some remote control adapters for 13 amp sockets, this means that the second telly which has two 13 amp plugs, DVD, Video can be switched off at a stroke leaving the Sky box powered up. I switch things off - more money for beer and fun things...
>> Dunno how reliable they are but a bit of fun really...:-)

Knowing our family, everything would get turned on to see if we could max out the display.
I have done that as well.....
Vx, hysterical? How about the wind up remote control for your tv that you can get? One of the electricity companies is giving them away if you switch. That seems pretty hysterical to me. 2 AA batteries, last for 5 years plus... Or you can have one of these, sir (or madam), don't worry about the energy use in making it and shipping it to you, just glow with smug self satisfaction and tell everyone how green you are :-(

JH
 Electricity consumption while away from home - L'escargot
I've got a plug-in meter which measures the consumption of individual appliances, but I quite fancy something which measures total consumption as per Tooslow's question. What about this, clipped around the meter outlet cable? tinyurl.com/2v54t67
>>I quite fancy something which measures total consumption as per Tooslow's question.
>> What about this, clipped around
>> the meter outlet cable? tinyurl.com/2v54t67

Similar to mine. Prices vary quite a bit (some may be subsidised by 'green' money). I paid £10 from the clearance rail at Maplin but there were other versions in the store at up to £35.
www.electricity-monitor.com/wireless-energy-monitors-c-37.html

I have the Energy cost one. Not the one I would choose, but at the price I got it for (nothing) I cant complain.
"but at the price I got it for (nothing) I cant complain"

My mother-in-law does.

We sometimes go for the "Buy two get one free" pizza deal at the local delivery place. She takes the freebie. It's never big enough and it never has the right topping.
I am lucky, my mother in law died.

Perhaps thats because we never gave her any pizza.
 Electricity consumption while away from home - L'escargot
>> "but at the price I got it for (nothing) I cant complain"
>>
>> My mother-in-law does.
>>
>> We sometimes go for the "Buy two get one free" pizza deal at the local
>> delivery place. She takes the freebie. It's never big enough and it never has the
>> right topping.
>>

And it can't measure electricity consumption!
;-)
>> And it can't measure electricity consumption!
>> ;-)

No but it nags you about everything else.

This electricity monitors are a bit naggish.
...My mother-in-law does...

Looking forward to Christmas, BBD?
I think I might just go off on a cruise for 1 this year...
Some years ago an older friend of mine was on his uppers. His wife had left him and had better legal advice than him. He had nowt left, no house no car nada, except a few quid in an account she didn't know about.

He was really depressed and I suggested he go on a cruise to try to cheer himself up. I loaned him a dinner suit and drove him to meet the ship.

On the holiday he met a very rich widow from his home town. Scroll on a few years and he still can't help smiling wryly as he drives past his ex-wife's house and her battered Clio with his very generous new wife in his 09 plate Range Rover.......
I'd probably end up with an 80-year old American woman with painted on eyebrows.
Everyone has a price.
I'd probably give her hundred quid. I do like a bit of mature action...
Back on topic.........

Realised in time that mine sounded an alarm @ 5kw. Glad I found it with cooker and kettle and not when washing machine & dishwasher cut in at 03:00 on the E7 tariff!!!
>> I'd probably give her hundred quid. I do like a bit of mature action...

Blimey thats inflation for you, it used to be a schooner of VP sherry and a bag of pork scratchings (if her dentures could cope with them)
Ah, that's class Zero. Not sure what sort but definitely class!

JH
Latest Forum Posts