Non-motoring > Freeview problem. MotoGP Qualifying at Silverstone   [Read only] Miscellaneous
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 35

Freeview problem. MotoGP Qualifying at Silverstone - L'escargot
I've been trying to watch the MotoGP Qualifying from Silverstone on Freeview channel 301, but about 15 seconds after switching to 301 the programme changed to BBC1 channel 1 of its own accord. It did this every time. Why?
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 26 Jun 10 at 16:34

MotoGP Qualifying from Silverstone - Zero
what box do you have? Its on on my humax and the sony tele.

MotoGP Qualifying from Silverstone - L'escargot
>> what box do you have?

5 year-old Sony "VTX-D800U Digital Terrestrial Receiver" and 13 year-old Sanyo 25MTU television.

MotoGP Qualifying from Silverstone - Focusless
>> 5 year-old Sony "VTX-D800U Digital Terrestrial Receiver" and 13 year-old Sanyo 25MTU television.

...and does it 'stick' if you use the red button rather than changing to 301 manually?

>> about 15 seconds after switching to 301 the programme changed to BBC1 channel 1 of
>> its own accord.

Just tried it on my Digihome PVR (Vestel software IIRC) - does the same.

>> >> about 15 seconds after switching to 301 the programme changed to BBC1 channel 1
>> of
>> >> its own accord.
>>
>> Just tried it on my Digihome PVR (Vestel software IIRC) - does the same.

...but if I go to it using the red button menu, which I suppose is the way they want you to do it, it stays on 301. I'm guessing it's deliberate, although I haven't seen it happen before.

>> ... but if I go to it using the red button menu, which I suppose is
>> the way they want you to do it, it stays on 301. I'm guessing it's
>> deliberate, although I haven't seen it happen before.
>>

What red button? I can press the numbers 0-9 to get 301, press programme + and -, or select 301 via the EPG. During the MotoGP Qualifying yesterday all methods resulted in the programme switching to BBC1 World Cup. At the moment, however, with 301 showing World Cup Highlights it stays on 301. Talk about BBC1 blowing their own vuvuzela! I'll see what it does when 301 changes to MotoGP at 11 am.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Sun 20 Jun 10 at 10:18

>> What red button?

Freeview boxes, or their controllers, should have a 'red button' (and green/yellow/blue) for accessing interactive services eg.
www.freeview.co.uk/Help/Using-Interactive-Features/Using-the-red-button-and-Teletext

Perhaps because your box is a "Digital Terrestrial Receiver" rather than Freeview it doesn't have one, Basically pressing the red button on most BBC programmes brings up a menu which usually includes an option for watching something else, which is what you see on 301. However the red button menu remains displayed in the top right corner, so it's not quite the same as manually changing channel. Presumably it's this difference which also results in the channel change.

However today my Digihome box sticks on 301 after changing manually, whereas yesterday it didn't (showing football highlights both days).

>> Perhaps because your box is a "Digital Terrestrial Receiver" rather than Freeview it doesn't have
>> one,

Well, I can get all the Freeview channels. I've always assumed that Freeview was just a name for the collection of digital channels that you could receive free, rather than a design of box. Mine is still advertised for sale as a Freeview box ~ for example www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-VTX-D800U-Freeview-Digital-Set/dp/B0000TEV88

>> for example www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-VTX-D800U-Freeview-Digital-Set/dp/B0000TEV88

One of the reviewers mentions:

3. Very fast access to "red button" interactive TV offered by the BBC

so presumably there's some button that acts as the 'red button', unless you've got an older remote which doesn't have anything at all?

EDIT: also "no longer do I have to wait after pressing the red button."
Last edited by: Focus on Sun 20 Jun 10 at 14:03

Ah!

It does switch back after 15 seconds if you select channel 301 manually, but NOT if you access it via the BBC red button.

MotoGP Qualifying from Silverstone - Pat
You managed more than we did L'es:)

After realising that the British round of MotoGP falls on the first weekend of our holiday in Cornwall, and next weekend is Holland, so we would miss that too. we both agreed we didn't mind.
Now, one or both of us was lying!

We knew (thanks to Dog) that Cornwall had gone digital and only had a small analogue cab TV in the caravan because watching TV on holiday is not high on our priorities.
Last week one of us ( I refuse to admit it may have been me) suggested that as we're going to need a new TV for the van it might be a good idea to get one before we go.
The other one jumped at the idea!
Off we went to our local caravan dealer where we bought the van and after taking some advice went to Teco and bought a TV!
We then began to realise that the status aerial on the van rook was omnidirectional and maybe wouldn't work on digital so back to the dealer to buy a pole and aerial to fit on the jockey wheel.
That led to the need to have an aerial point fitting on the outside of the van which we persuaded a friend to do for us last Wednesday evening.
We're good to go and MotoGP here we come!
Now we always travel down to Cornwall on Sunday to avoid the traffic but one of us suggested leaving at 4.30am on Saturday morning just for a change, ( nothing to do with MotoGP of course) and the other jumped at the chance.

We got up at 2.30, left on time and had a great run down, apart from having to fill the CRV up twice, and didn't find a traffic queue until the Tamar Bridge. We pulled on to the site at 1.30. We spent the afternoon getting the van set up, the awning up and decided we were tired and hungry atabout 5pm so we'd pop down to Looe for a meal, and come back for an early night.
Shall we just...........
Before we go.........
Those fateful words when you know it's going to all go pearshaped and food and bed are looking further away.
We got the new TV out and put it in place. Got the aerial out and put it all together. Clamped it firmly to the jockey wheel and pointed it to Bodmin. then walked round to the custom fitted aerial point on the outside of the van to plug it in.
It was all of 3'' short.
We repositioned it and it was even shorter.
We run the cable under the van it was 2' short.
We decide to try it with the status aerial but all we got was no 'digital signal' on the screen!

By now we're seriosly tired and hungry but have no milk, bread or butter as we insist on buying locally when we get here. It's an admirable thought but one that can have flaws!
So it's down to Looe for fish & chips and back to bed while pondering where to get an extension aerial for the TV on a Sunday............but it doesn't matter because neither of us are really bothered about the MotoGP you know!

That's before we try and get a signal too.

But we now have wifi on this beautiful cliff top since last year, and I sat and watched the dawn break this morning at 4am with my first coffe and a fag.

I set the smoke alarm off too but we won't go into that as Ian wasn't best pleased to have his well deserved lie in interrupted:)

So........please keep me updated!

If I had been relying on the dongle, as expected, you may have been rid of me for a couple of weeks but not now!

Pat

MotoGP Qualifying from Silverstone - MD
Morning Pat & Ian,

A lovely (weather) start to the day here in North Devon. Dogs got me out at 5.30!!

Have a pleasant Holiday.

Regards......Martin.

MotoGP Qualifying from Silverstone - steveincornwall
Morning Pat, Yes another lovely morning here.
There is no TV transmitter in Bodmin (well only a local relay at Penhaligan Downs). If you are near Looe you need to point the aerial roughly north to Caradon Hill transmitter. If you are reasonably high up you will be able to see the warning lights on top after dark tonight from most of East Cornwall.
Good luck, Steve.

MotoGP Qualifying from Silverstone - Iffy
...lovely morning here...

Bright, but chilly, in leafy North Yorkshire.

Hope you get the telly going, Pat.

Bet you and Ian never thought you'd be short by three inches. :)

We're here
www.looebaycaravans.co.uk/webcam3.htm

You can just see the CRV hiding behind the van and almost hidden by the pampass grass!
We've got the aerial pointing to Looe Island at the moment in protest but we'll try pointing it at Looe later if we find the missing 3'':)

With this view it suddenly doesn't seem very important any more.

The resident farm cat has just turned up for breakfast as well, and seems to remember that we are a soft touch for good food and a warm bed from the last couple of years.

Pat

two things.....

My old mum always said "make sure the tea, milk and kettle are at the top of any packing or moving"

Secondly, any old length of wire would have made a reasonable temporary connection between your point and the aerial lead. (think the fence round the campsite)

But there was a bottle of Merlot and a bottle of Brouilly Z, what more do you want?

Pat

>> But there was a bottle of Merlot and a bottle of Brouilly Z, what more
>> do you want?
>>
>> Pat
>

My Mum was a silly old moo.

Good race I thought Pat?

M

Well Martin, we decided to try the aerial lead through the front caravan window and out of the kitchen window and it reached as a temporary measure, so we both decided we didn't feel like going anywhere until after 2pm:)

It certainly was a good race and I'm impressed with the new layout at Silverstone. It will be interesting to see what F1 makes of it.
It was a shame no-one managed to run with Lorenzo, perhaps if Pedrosa hadn't have been injured he would have had a chance.
Dovi was excellent getting a second place but Haydn should have been on the podium.
Can't believe Malandri didn't even make the first lap.

Wish Rossi had been there to see what he made of the new track.

All in all worth stopping in for:)

Don't forget that next week at Assen is on a Saturday, so I think the craft fair at Carnglaze Caverns will have to wait until Sunday!

Pat

MotoGP Qualifying from Silverstone - VxFan
Pat, providing you've got a good internet connection (3G signal for instance if you've only got a dongle) then you could always watch TV on your computer.

www.tvcatchup.com

Thanks VX
We've got till Saturday to find an aerial extension lead as it really is only the GP we're bothered about watching on holiday.

I can't even be bothered to sort out my email problem until I get home.

I just need you to keep me updated with Emmerdale please:)

Pat

>> I just need you to keep me updated with Emmerdale please:)
>>
>> Pat

An atomic powered alien space ship has crash landed on the woolpack, leaving a 60 mile radius of devastation, and Seth Armstrong got gored to death by a mutant stoat.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 22 Jun 10 at 09:09

MotoGP Qualifying from Silverstone - Iffy
And that was before the first ad-break.

>> I just need you to keep me updated with Emmerdale please:)
>>
>> Pat
>>

Sample this, Pat. www.itv.com/itvplayer/video/?Filter=emmerdale

I really hope she wont be trying that over a g3 dongle.............

How many times do I have to say this:)

WIFI HAS COME TO CORNWALL!!

Pat

>> WIFI HAS COME TO CORNWALL!!
>>
>> Pat
>>

Woman In Fabulous Idyll !

>> How many times do I have to say this:)

God you sound like my wife.....

Don't call her GOD. She's OK though!

M

Well Z, all you have to do is listen and we'll both stop nagging you.

Martin, isn't the weather wonderful down here this week?

We had the only 2 good weeks of 2009 and it looks like we've done it again.
It's such a pleasure to not have bones hurting and to be able to walk and do things properly.
And to top it off we've got the campsite cat asleep on our bed in the caravan after being fuller than he's been for a long time:)
I really do hope I never forget how to appreciate the simple, cheap pleasures, life has to offer!
I do so envy you living down here all the time:)

Pat

Got to say Pat, it has it's moments. Enjoy what's left of your break. Just looked at the Met office site and it looks ok through the weekend. Maybe a bit cloudy, but hopefully dry.

Regards............M

Oh! POO. It's just started raining here. Not much though (I hope!!)

M

Just checked the TV Listings online and it appears we will have to wait for 7am Sunday morning to watch the race from Assen ( Wimbledon has taken precedence:( )

So Martin, please don't tell us who won!

Pat

MotoGP Qualifying from Silverstone - VxFan
Can I ask that you switch your MotoGP discussion back to the dedicated thread. This one originally started out as having problems viewing it on freeview.

:edit: L'escargots question has been answered, and because of thread drift where some of the posts here should have been made in the MotoGP dedicated thread (they've now been moved), this one has been locked.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 29 Jun 10 at 10:24

Latest Forum Posts