Non-motoring > Giving up sugar in coffee Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Mike H Replies: 65

Giving up sugar in coffee - Mike H
As part of a health kick, and as a minor part of trying to lose a little weight, I gave up taking sugar in coffee three weeks ago on the spur of the moment. I used to take two heaped teaspoonfuls in a mug, and my son was horrified to see me putting seven sachets in a regular-size mug of costa coffee a while back. I haven't enjoyed a cup since I stopped, but I keep drinking it in the hope that eventually I will......anyone else done the same, and how long does it take before it becomes a pleasant drink again, if ever?
 Giving up sugar in coffee - madf
6 months from my experience 44 years ago.

But I have a selective memory...
 Giving up sugar in coffee - Meldrew
Investigate Stevia, a sweetener derived from the sap of a plant.
 Giving up sugar in coffee - Crankcase
Yes, we both did that giving up sugar in tea/coffee thing when diagnosed diabetic a couple of years ago (yes, both diagnosed at roughly the same time, what are the odds?)

Yuk for about a month, after that, bingo, both tea and coffee taste much nicer, and you get more subtleties.

Have on the odd occasion since inadvertently taken a mouthful of sugared stuff and its horrid.

Wouldn't go back even if I could now, so keep on with it - it's better than you think it's going to be. Didn't bother with sweeteners either, but your taste may prefer them to nothing at all I suppose.
 Giving up sugar in coffee - Mike H
>>Didn't bother with sweeteners either, but your
>> taste may prefer them to nothing at all I suppose.
>>
I have used artificial sweeteners in the distant past, but decided that I might as well go the whole hog this time. I know there are some naturally-derived sweeteners that are better than sugar, so I might try one of those in a few months if/when I get desperate ;-)

I have gradually cut the sugar in my tea by 75%, so perhaps I should have reduced it in my coffee gradually. It was literally a spur of the moment decision to cut it out completely.

Thanks for the encouraging words, sounds like it might be a few weeks yet!
All great achievements have a difficult birth. Just think, by the time someone starts on about winter tyres you'll be well sorted.
 Giving up sugar in coffee - neiltoo
We stopped using sugar in drinks years ago, but I can't remember any taste problems.

I think you need to experiment with different coffees - with two sugars, you don't really taste the coffee.

I haven't drunk instant coffee for years.
>> with two sugars, you don't
>> really taste the coffee.

That's absolutely right. I appreciate coffee and tea more than I ever did before. Unfortunately that does seem to mean that most coffee or tea served over the counter in a cafe or garden centre or National Trust place or wherever else you go in this country for coffee that isn't a chain - is now revolting. Nothing to do with sugar, more to do with flavour/strength/been hanging about too long and so on.

So there is a downside too.

Giving up sugar in coffee - Robin O'Reliant
I gave up taking sugar in tea thirty years ago and can still remember wondering how long I could last. But as others have said, after about a month you could not go back to adding sugar again. I've not added salt to any food for years either and couldn't face having it now.
Last edited by: Robin O'Reliant on Tue 1 Apr 14 at 12:10
 Giving up sugar in coffee - Stuu
I gave up sugar in my coffee a year ago, replaced it with sucralose based sweetener, bit more expensive than aspartame but I prefer the taste.
 Giving up sugar in coffee - No FM2R
I've grown to quite like tea without sugar.

However, coffee without is just nasty and I cannot get used to it. So I use sweetener.
 Giving up sugar in coffee - Enoughalready
I gave a up for a week too but because I'm weak-willed and hopeless I went back on it. At the end of that week I was disappointed that the taste without was no more appealing than when I started.

In fact if it's bad for you, I pretty much do it. My side of the family are like that & all seem fairly fit in their mid 80's. Hope I take after them!
 Giving up sugar in coffee - Zero
Haven't taken sugar in coffee or tea since i gave up smoking som 7 years ago. Didn't use artificial aids to give up smoking, and certainly have no intention of using chemical rubbish to make up for sugar either.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 4 Sep 14 at 21:31
 Giving up sugar in coffee - sooty123
Never bothered with sugar in either. Masks the taste in tea, in coffee makes no difference as I dislike the taste of coffee.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Tue 1 Apr 14 at 13:25
 Sugar in coffee - Slidingpillar
Never had sugar in tea or coffee. I've not checked it, but I recall hearing that one's tastebuds could not tell the difference in sweetness if one added more than three teaspoons of sugar to a cup.

But probably the only way to do it, is to slowly reduce the amount of sugar, 6 sachets for a week, then 5 etc.

Giving up sugar in coffee - Armel Coussine
So-called 'sweeteners' impart a nasty chemical bitter taste to whatever they are put in.

I used to take a lot of sugar in everything, but gave up putting it in coffee a very long time ago. I make very strong coffee in a Bialetti device and put proper full fat milk in it. If I had to drink it black I would put sugar in it.

I took to tea very late in life. What I like is Earl Grey with milk and sugar, and believe me I don't give a toss for what people think one ought to do. However it now seems Earl Grey is frightfully good stuff with bergamot in it to make one live for ever. I drank a pint of it yesterday to celebrate.

Out of a mug though, not a saucer. I have never perfected the technique for doing that, although it might have been made for a poncy Earl Grey fancier. Must try harder.
>> Didn't use artificial aids to give up smoking

Oh God, I did. I'd have rolled up a patch and lit it if I'd thought it would help.

I was smoking 60 Marlboro on a normal day, more on a stressful day, and had been smoking for 30 years until I went cold turkey on a drunken Friday night about 11 years ago.

It was a miserable, miserable, 3 or 4 months.

As I've always said, if I ever have another cigarette I shall smoke for the rest of my life, because I just couldn't go through that process again.
 Giving up sugar in coffee - Focusless
I worry more about what sugar in tea/coffee does to my teeth rather my bodyweight.
 Giving up sugar in coffee - Slidingpillar
That's the reason I drink diet fizzy pop.
 Giving up sugar in coffee - BobbyG
Gave up sugar and moved to sweeteners a couple of years ago.

Then last year I gave up sweetners and have taken my coffee with only milk since then.

I can put hand on heart and say I have never had a drink of coffee since then that I have thought, that's really hit the spot!

Even worse with Costa etc and I must admit I occasionally when making real coffee at home, add in a wee drop of the caramel syrup just to give it a lift.
 Giving up sugar in coffee - madf
I love McDonald's coffee unsweetened of course. Best of them all in my view..
 Giving up sugar in coffee - neiltoo
>> That's the reason I drink diet fizzy pop.
>>

You'll just get hyperactive.....

8o)
 Giving up sugar in coffee - Harleyman
Would sooner drink tea without sugar than with a sweetener.... rarely drink coffee anyway unless I'm in France or Belgium where there's no alternative.

Normally, one spoon of sugar or two sachets in either.
 Giving up sugar in coffee - PhilW
I gave up sugar in tea and coffee about 18 months ago. Reason? Took off my shirt to do some work on a hot day (in front of a mirror) and thought "So that's what manboobs are, and a beer gut". I was also nearly 13 stone (never weighed myself for years before) and remembered that I used to be 11.5 stone (6ft tall).
Few months later I was back to 11.5.
Found that black/white Americanos tasted awful for a while, latte not so bad (milk seems to sweeten it) but now never think of putting sugar in any except for my favourite double espresso - one of those little tube things of sugar in those.
Salt? My Mum used to add salt to everything she cooked. Always a salt pot on table which was used to add further salt. My wife however, never used/s salt in cooking and it's never on table - found it odd to start with but after a short while didn't give it a thought (even on fish and chips!) except when somebody puts loads all over their food - why necessary??
Good luck!!
P
By the way, anyone else hear all that stuff on BBC today about eating at least 7 portions, preferably1, of fruit/veg per day?
April 1st??? I don't even eat 10 portions of food a day let alone of fruit and veg and don't intend to. Think of the methane - save the world, stick to pasties and sausage rolls!
 Giving up sugar in coffee - Runfer D'Hills
I've never taken sugar in tea or coffee. Always black coffee but conversely I take a splash of milk in tea for some reason. Don't know if that's unusual. My wife has exactly the same preference.

I have tasted hot drinks with sugar in but to me they were ruined by it.
Now I have sweetener in coffee, which was not a great taste in the beginning just preferable to nothing, I find sugar very over-powering.
I've never, even as a child been able to enjoy sugary things. Hated and still do anything like boiled sweets for example. They set my teeth on edge. I can very occasionally enjoy a bit of dark chocolate but wouldn't be bothered if I never had it again.

Oddly enough though I don't mind a wine gum. Just to be obtuse. Jelly Babies too come to that. Can't say anything negative about Jelly Babies.
I don't like chocolate that much but...

Pear drops
Sherbert Lemons
Barley Sugar Twists

I can eat by the ton. Or even the tonne.
Can you get Jelly Babies in Chile? I found them very hard to buy in Brazil. Nearly put me off the place in truth. What kind of allegedly civilised country doesn't have Jelly Babies eh?
No, you can't.

You can't even get cheese & onions crisps.
It's worse than I thought then. They do have liquorice though? Surely they have liquorice?
Nope, not of any sort, never mind allsorts.
Jeez !
Stuff wot you can't get....

Flavoured crisps
Decent bread
Fresh milk
Any sweet you'd actually want to eat.
Good cheese
Bacon that you can recognise as such
Decent sauces (brown, worcestershire, salad cream, branston, etc. etc.)
Vinegar
Worthwhile biscuits (garibaldi, ginger, cream custard, nice, etc. etc.)

and soo much more.

Just because their technical infrastructural, health care and the like are better than Europe (at least in Santiago) they regard themselves as a first world country despite a complete lack of civilised foodstuff.

Ridiculous.
 Giving up sugar in coffee - WillDeBeest
That's the reason I drink diet fizzy pop.
...and the reason I drink water.

Coffee for me is black without sugar - but it does have to be good coffee; instant is filth and ready-ground (aka stale) isn't much better. A little sweet something with it is nice, though, so I can alternate bitter and sweet mouthfuls.

The key point about the espresso method that a lot of people miss is that it, uniquely, extracts natural sweetness from the caramelized sugars in the roasted beans, so you get that balance in each mouthful (and no sourness if the machine is hot enough). It's not about pure strength, more about subtlety. Coffee is wonderful stuff, but still much abused and misunderstood.
 Giving up sugar in coffee - Haywain
I gave up sugar in tea/ coffee many years ago (40?); I quickly got used to it and nowadays I can't drink tea/coffee if someone has inadvertently put sugar in - it tastes awful.

For anyone considering their weight, my BMI crept up over 25 and into the 'overweight' class at Christmas. I started the 5:2 diet on January 6th and at today's check, I had lost 10lb. I may now ease back to 6:1 and see what happens.
I don't really get that BMI stuff.

I am 6ft and 82kg / 181lbs. Apparently that gives me a BMI of 24.5, which seemingly whilst acceptable is also pretty damn close to the top of acceptable.

Yet I have a 32" waist, 16" collar and, as far as I can tell, have no sign of overweightedness.

Seems like carp to me.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 19 May 14 at 01:36
I do like sugary things. Been eating brioche rolls with large dollops of strawberry jam on them for breakfast. With the café au lait without sugar, yum yum, and the blood pressure pills.

I've had two decent drinks already this evening, bloody marys with the juice of a whole lime in one, half a lemon in the other, good squirt of Worcester sauce both times, but enough vodka to taste as well, very tasty if a trifle acid for the elderly stomach.

I reckon those are four of my ten a day right there, with another perhaps for the grain in the vodka... and I had a sandwich earlier on whose tomato and lettuce counted for two more. Not quite sure what supper is yet but it's sure to contain another at least. Oh yeah, and the usual banana this morning before even the brioches and jam.

Time for another I think. Orange juice this time. Not sure that counts. Perhaps half a 'portion' whatever that may mean.

Er... yee-hah sort of thing.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 19 May 14 at 01:35
Oh, by the way, everyone I know snootily prefers Hellmann's mayonnaise, but it seems austere salty jejune stuff to me. I like the grassroots proletarian tang of Heinz salad cream, and have my own squirter of it in the nearest fridge.

There used to be a substance called sandwich spread, sort of salad cream with finely shredded vegetables in it. I wonder if it still exists? A bit austere for these days.
"Heinz salad cream, and have my own squirter of it in the nearest fridge.
There used to be a substance called sandwich spread, sort of salad cream with finely shredded vegetables in it. I wonder if it still exists? A bit austere for these days."
Spot on AC.
Got the salad cream even though frowned on by Mrs W and rest of family. Sandwich Spread still available in our local Sains though I seem to be the only one shopping for it. Must be spread on cheap white sliced bread with lots of butter (Stork Marge not available any more!!)
The best sandwich in the world is
Mother's Pride white sliced,
Thick layer Stork marge,
Thick layer of cold left-over-from-Sunday-dinner mashed potato,
Thick layer of raw onion,
Thick layer of salad Cream.
Topped with another thick layer of Mother's Pride and marge.
If you are really lucky, mother will have saved all the pork dripping from Sunday roast which can also be added (thick layer!!)
Oh, and as a second course don't forget the cold Yorkshire pud smothered in Golden Syrup.
Guaranteed to cure a weekend hangover!!
Think I am lucky to have lasted beyond my teens!!
I love sandwich spread.

My sister sends me a package of Sandwich Spread and Sardine & Tomato paste every so often.

To die for.
 Giving up sugar in coffee - Roger.
A perfect sarnie:- (Repeat).

Cheap white bread. Lots of butter, lots of Marmite, lots of crunchy peanut butter a good wodge of cold mashed potato, a decent slice of extra, extra, mature cheddar. Cheap white bread with lots of butter.
Washed down with icy cold ALDI Fiery Ginger beer (49p a big bottle)
Buuuurp.
Nirvana - (unless SWMBO catches me)
"A perfect sarnie:- (Repeat).
Cheap white bread. Lots of butter, lots of Marmite, lots of crunchy peanut butter a good wodge of cold mashed potato, a decent slice of extra, extra, mature cheddar. Cheap white bread with lots of butter.
Washed down with icy cold ALDI Fiery Ginger beer (49p a big bottle)
Buuuurp."

You forgot the onions and salad cream - but I'll try yours and let you know!
;-)
I have put many things in a sandwich but I must say this is the first time I've ever heard of anyone putting mashed potatoes in one.

When I first met my northern wife, I was invited by her to a family barbecue at her parent's house. To my dismay, her father, who was serving the food, placed a raw slice of black pudding on my proffered plate. When I politely mentioned that it hadn't yet been cooked he gave me that sort of look reserved by fathers for men who they suspect, may not now be entirely suitable for their daughters.

Fortunately, the next door garden contained a dog.

Or it may have been a large ferret. Can't really remember. At any rate, it dealt with the black pudding.
>> I have put many things in a sandwich but I must say this is the
>> first time I've ever heard of anyone putting mashed potatoes in one.

What a sheltered life. How about marmite sandwich dunked into hot chocolate? Or cheese and biscuits into a strong coffee. Not me guv, but I've seen people do it.
I once saw a Glaswegian businessman put a scotch pie into a buttered bread roll having first smothered the pie in brown sauce and then proceed to eat it. He was in Edinburgh at the time what's more. It was suggested to him that while that sort of behaviour might be acceptable within sight of the River Clyde that he might care to join us at the Oyster Bar the following lunchtime...

;-)
Honestly Runfer, I can see *nothing* wrong with that sandwich at all, albeit perhaps one for private consumption.
Yes but you're Welsh or something aren't you? If you're brought up to eat seaweed, interfere with livestock and spend your life underground it's little wonder a pie roll might be seen as normal.

;-)
Fair point.

But to be fair you do live North of Watford Gap so you're hardly overloaded with culinary sophistication yourself.
Pie 'roll' it's nothing like a decent before bed breakfast. Many a time I've finished at 6-7 am and gone to bed with a some scrambled egg and baked beans in a sandwich ;-) don't knock it till you've tried it.
Here's one you can get at 02.00 hrs in any Edinburgh Rose St chippy. A buttered bread roll with two deep fried spring rolls in it.

Some women find the sight of a man with one of those and a bag of chips irresistible.
Naah, not struck on that.

I'd kill for a kebab right now.
>> A perfect sarnie:- (Repeat).
>>
>> Cheap white bread. Lots of butter, lots of Marmite, lots of crunchy peanut butter a
>> good wodge of cold mashed potato, a decent slice of extra, extra, mature cheddar. Cheap
>> white bread with lots of butter.
>> Washed down with icy cold ALDI Fiery Ginger beer (49p a big bottle)
>> Buuuurp.
>> Nirvana - (unless SWMBO catches me)

No No NO!

The prefect sarnie is

Cheap white bread
Lots of butter
4 freshly grilled till crunchy on the outside Birds Eye Fish fingers
A thick layer of Heinz tomato sauce.
On the contrary, there is only one perfect sandwich. Thick crusty brown bread, slightly salted butter of course, strong cheddar and slices of raw onion. Mug of industrial strength tea.
Very good, but....

Baked beans and scrambled egg in a sandwich.
I think you've been in the heat too long. It to got me eventually too.
>> Very good, but....
>>
>> Baked beans and scrambled egg in a sandwich.
>>

Now your talking, can't beat finishing a night shift with that before bed. With a big mug of tea.
>> Very good, but....
>>
>> Baked beans and scrambled egg in a sandwich.

I'd go for that. Tho not as good as the traditional breakfast bap, sausage, bacon and fried egg
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 1 Apr 14 at 22:36
>> >> Very good, but....
>> >>
>> >> Baked beans and scrambled egg in a sandwich.
>>
>> I'd go for that. Tho not as good as the traditional breakfast bap, sausage, bacon
>> and fried egg
>>

that always sounds good but never matches up. Too much happening in one teacake.
 Giving up sugar in coffee - Robin O'Reliant
>> On the contrary, there is only one perfect sandwich. Thick crusty brown bread, slightly salted butter of course, strong cheddar and slices of raw onion. Mug of industrial strength tea.
>>

That man's got it. All sandwiches will be like that when we get to heaven.
>> I started the 5:2 diet on January 6th...

Is that for like, short people?
 Giving up sugar in coffee - Roger.
LOL!
 Giving up sugar in coffee - devonite
give up sugar if you like, but don't resort to Aspartame, it's about as good for you as cyanide!..........almost.
 Giving up sugar in coffee - Pat
Foods from childhood all greatly missed.

Golden syrup sarnies.

Doorsteps ( side of loaf cut off to about an inch and thickly buttered).

Onion pudding, suet (Swiss) roll boiled in a rag and covered in butter.

Eggy toast.

Bread and dripping.

Bread and milk for bedtime.

...and my favourite, Thumbits.

My Dad used to sit at work with me at the posh house where he worked as a gardener and on a Monday we had this for lunch.

A chunk of cold Sunday beef, a chunk of crusty bread, a chunk of cheese and half a raw onion.
He took his trusted penknife out, which he taught me to sharpen on a stone, and cut chunks off for both of us!

Pat
 Giving up sugar in coffee - Cliff Pope
I gave up sugar in tea and coffee 40 years ago when I had to go to lots of large meetings and the non-sugar people would always forget to pass the sugar bowl round.

I just decided on the spur of the moment to cut it out, and have ever since.
Don't think about, just do it and move on. It's only in the mind.
Last edited by: Cliff Pope on Wed 2 Apr 14 at 08:19
Latest Forum Posts