Non-motoring > Railway Sleepers.... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 35

Railway Sleepers.... - R.P.
Landscape gardener's solution involves some railway sleepers.....one of these leeches creosote at an alarming rate - I was actually watching it bubble in the sun yesterday ! This one sleeper is now thick with the evil stuff....any ideas on how to remove it - annoyingly the dog likes walking on these sleepers......My wife has suggested setting light to it.....!
 Railway Sleepers.... - Ted

I'm not sure either the dog or the RSPCA would be too happy about that, Pug !

Ted
 Railway Sleepers.... - Zero
Not as stupid as it sounds, It will take days for a railway sleeper to burn through, but if you get the surface temperature right it will burn the surface creosote out like a wick drawing oil from a reservoir, leaving the sleeper mostly untouched.

The only other way is to cover it with gunk, and pressure wash it. The creosote wil lcome back tho as you only get the surface off.
 Railway Sleepers.... - Bigtee
Old engine oil mixed with cresote or diesel and apply this to the wood sleeper but don't stand on it when wet or you will go flying we have about 3 thousand here in the station i know im on the track soon!
 Railway Sleepers.... - FotheringtonTomas
Remove it and replace it with another, or turn it around.
 Railway Sleepers.... - crocks
I think the only permanent solution is to replace the sleeper with a new one without creosote.
But have fun setting light to the old one first.

Ah, sorry, I misunderstood.
It read as though the answer was setting fire to the dog !
( Which would solve the problem, anyway )

Ted
 Railway Sleepers.... - Fenlander
Pretty well all our gate posts on this place are old sleepers or telegraph poles. This tar leeching to the surface will go on for ever. We have one particular telegraph pole gate post where the top starts to bleed tar this time of year in a place that's easily touched. I heard the Mrs grumble the other day and she went looking for white spirit.

As said by others either turn around or replace. Ours happens to be the top of a 4ft post where it wicks up to the surface so I think I'll make it a traditional tin hat before the complaints come rolling in again this summer.
 Railway Sleepers.... - Tooslow
We've just replaced some genuine sleepers round the veg patch. The leaves on some plants were turning brown and a few were really suffering. The idea of eating the veg really doesn't appeal. The sleepers have been replaced with new "sleepers". At huge expense :-(

JH
 Railway Sleepers.... - L'escargot
www.railwaysleeper.com/railway%20sleeper%20treatments.htm
 Railway Sleepers.... - bathtub tom
When I were nowt but a lad I remember seeing how sleepers and telegraph poles were treated. They were pressure cooked in creosote to force the stuff deep inside the timber, over quite a period of time.

I'd keep the dogs off it, I believe it can 'burn' their pads.
The dog is kept off it ! I think the swap out suggestion is best - out of 11 sleepers around the newly laid lawn, this is the only one that does this. I was watching a neighbour actually painting hers the other afternoon...

Ted I thought that my dearest was suggesting torching the dog - they get on, but only after a fashion....awkward little fellow that he is.
>> Ted I thought that my dearest was suggesting torching the dog - they get on,
>> but only after a fashion....awkward little fellow that he is.

clearly deeply misunderstood.

The dog that is.

As are many of his posts on here, Z ! :-)

Ted
Ah, Now I realise the variability of his posts, I didnt realise the dog was doing it.
 Railway Sleepers.... - Haywain
Every so often, I dust the tops of my bleeding sleepers with fine sand.
 Railway Sleepers.... - Alastairw
Grandfather always reckoned sleepers made the best ever fire wood. Cutting the sleepers down small enough for the kitchen fire was a fine way of keeping warm for his hardworked grandchildren and an old fashioned bow saw.
dirty filthy things when burned, thats why they brought in the clear air act.
 Railway Sleepers.... - rtj70
A house we nearly bought had an open fire and the seller said how he enjoyed burning wood. Since realised burning wood and similar is liable to a £1000 fine! I wonder if the buyers know the fire is useless?
 Railway Sleepers.... - Iffy
Does the Clean Air Act apply outside towns and cities?

I heard somewhere it is still legal to burn wood on an open fire in the country.

>> Does the Clean Air Act apply outside towns and cities?
>>
>> I heard somewhere it is still legal to burn wood on an open fire in
>> the country.

www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1993/ukpga_19930011_en_4
 Railway Sleepers.... - Manatee
No problem burning wood or coal outside a smoke control area AFAIK - that's the principle I employ anyway!

Plenty of LAs don't have any smoke control areas in them.
New build houses we've been looking at have wood burning stoves....
 Railway Sleepers.... - MD
>> A house we nearly bought had an open fire and the seller said how he
>> enjoyed burning wood. Since realised burning wood and similar is liable to a £1000 fine!
>> I wonder if the buyers know the fire is useless?
>>
?
 Railway Sleepers.... - MD
French Oak 'Sleepers' £30.00 each maximum.

Creosote is so old hat don't you know?
"my" sleepers are South African.
They ship old sleepers from south africa to here?

Yep - read the snail's link.
hells bells, what a dreadfull waste of resources, they wil be flying fresh avocados round the world next
 Railway Sleepers.... - Manatee

>> I wonder if the buyers know the fire is useless?
>>

Smokeless fuel?
 Railway Sleepers.... - rtj70
>> Smokeless fuel?

Apart from the fact he was happy to be burning the rest of the tree in the bag garden when we we there ;-) It was piled out back and some burning when we last went round. If smokeless fuel can be burned in an open fire then that's the way forward there then. Otherwise upto £100 fine.
You just ain't going to get caught though. Council Prosecutions are so unbelievably rubbish that even an England defence would get you off.
 Railway Sleepers.... - Crankcase
No law against bonfires in your own garden, as long as you're burning your own garden waste and don't cause a nuisance by doing it every day or something.
 Railway Sleepers.... - FotheringtonTomas
>> A house we nearly bought had an open fire .. burning wood and similar is liable
>> to a £1000 fine!

No it isn't (although there are some restrictions on what you can burn in a "smoke control zone").
 Railway Sleepers.... - Kevin
Make sure that you give the dog a breathing mask before he sets light to 'em.

Creosote produces some rather noxious fumes unless it's burnt at a higher temp. than open air burning normally generates.

Kevin...

Smokeless zone here, has been for years.
Now some are going back to coal and wood.......I like the smell in the evening.
Nobody seems to bother them or care.

Our railway has concrete sleepers. Thoroughly up to date round here !

Ted
Latest Forum Posts