Non-motoring > World Cup Miscellaneous
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 50

World Cup - No FM2R
I like football, I live in a country / region / continent of football fanatics, I'm the only Brit I know, and four months ago Chile beat England 2-0.

This is unfair on both me and my very vocal No. 1 daughter. No. 2 doesn't really care one way or the other. In particular I cannot stop No. 1 making bold playground statements on England's behalf; which when you consider she was actually born in Rio de Janeiro and holds a Brasilian passport makes no sense at all. In her position I know who I'd be supporting.

So, in search of UK oriented football discussion;

What do we think of the England team this time? Better or worse than previous years? How is Hodgson regarded? Which prima donnas are missing or unrequired? Seems a lot of talk about injuries lately.

Is it just going to be a "scrape through the groups and then die in the ditch one match later"? Or should I hope for more or prepare for less?

World Cup - Robin O'Reliant
They'll do well to get through the group stages. Wiltshire probably won't make the squad because of injury, neither will Walcott and Rooney is past his best and generally flops in international tournaments anyway. Hodgson is probably the best you'd get if you want an English manager which isn't saying much. I think most people treat him with a resigned indifference.

Even a good England team would struggle in the heat of Brazil and in the present situation in England with so few home players in the top division England are in the position Ireland traditionally occupy - if you have a passport you're a candidate. In short, Bob Hope and No Hope. I'd buy daughter No 1 a Brazil shirt and tell her to keep quite about the old man's nationality.
 World Cup - No FM2R
Manaus will be hot and humid, but it is what passes for winter so it won't be as bad as it could have been.

July is in the 80s, can be hotter, doesn't cool down much at night and rains quite often. Everything that flies bites, and most of the other stuff stings.

Actually I don't think Rooney has been worth the money since he left Everton, has he?

There seems to be quite a lack of excitement in the English team. Its hardly chest thumping battle cry stuff, is it.

I would happily by No. 1 a Brazil shirt and then go for reflected glory myself, but she won't have it.
>>
>> There seems to be quite a lack of excitement in the English team. Its hardly
>> chest thumping battle cry stuff, is it.
>>
>>
The realisation that England are no more than bit players on the world stage and have been for over forty years (Despite a couple of semi-finals) has finally begun to sink in.
 World Cup - No FM2R
I think its quite the opposite; I think its a belief that England are far more than bit players, but then consistently perform as a minor act which leads to disillusionment.

Many countries who are truly hopeless at football, or other sports, realize it and celebrate deliriously when they achieve quite the smallest thing.

Pretty much why I mourn the passing of people such as Eddie the Eagle at the Olympics.
 World Cup - Zero
Well at least this conversation will last longer than if we were discussing Scotlands chances......
 World Cup - No FM2R
Sports are supposed to be fun. As a rule the English aren't that great at fun but the scotch are frequently just so bitter and resentful about the whole thing its boring.

I'm not so bothered about England winning, but I do wish they'd walk out on a pitch like they were proud and happy to be there and just go for it.
 World Cup - Zero
>> Is it just going to be a "scrape through the groups and then die in
>> the ditch one match later"?

That is the best you can hope for. We have no match winners, no-one who will grasp the spotlight of the moment and shine.

This is a direct outcome of Sky TV pouring shed loads of money into the premier league, where instant results now to grab the money, has resulted in buying in foreign players and killed the progression of home grown talent.

No home grown talent, no England football team.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 7 Mar 14 at 19:45
Two things hamper any chance England have of playing exciting football.

One is the National Anthem. no matter how pumped up a player is when he walks onto the pitch that depressing dirge is enough to put a complete downer on his enthusiasm. And then when he finally shakes the effect of that off, that diabolical tuneless racket shrieked out by the England "Band" is the final straw. Those clowns ought to be decapitated in the centre circle at half time.
 World Cup - Lygonos
>> the National Anthem

Naturally it takes a Scotsman to sort this problem out.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9nnnM-__JQ
 World Cup - Armel Coussine

>> Naturally it takes a Scotsman to sort this problem out.

>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9nnnM-__JQ

Heh heh... excellent
 World Cup - NortonES2
Have to agree! Very droll. How does the Scottish version go? Possibly haven't got round to it yet. No rush:)
 World Cup - No FM2R
Not heard "the" record yet. Is it bad? I mean, worse than 3 Lions, or whatever it was called.
 World Cup - Roger.
Why do people like soccer?
It's always seemed a dull game to me.
>> Why do people like soccer?
>> It's always seemed a dull game to me.
>>

The appeal of any sport is virtually 100% visual. Something either does it for you the first time you see it or it doesn't. Football I find stimulating on the eye, rugby I don't so each to their own.
 World Cup - BobbyG
As Roy Keane said on Champions League TV last week, England has the best marketed league, it does not have the best league.

QPR finances sums it all up!
 World Cup - Ted

I watched the Denmark match. Lucky to get a result. Rooney is a waste of space. So glad Manchester City weren't interested in him.

As someone on TV said..." 300K a week, he'd have been happy with a rope and tyre to swing on !"

I can't see England getting much further...it'll be tail between legs time !

HO
 World Cup - No FM2R
I watched the game against Chile sat in a bar in Chile with a bunch of Chileans.

It wasn't much fun.

More because of their attitude and lack of enthusiasm than the result.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sat 8 Mar 14 at 00:16
 World Cup - devonite
In my opinion, there are several "things" wrong with the National Team.
The first is Mr Roy Hodgson - he doesn't seem to "have a clue", when the team is obviously struggling in a match he just sits there wide-eyed looking like a surprised Owl.
The players, thinking that they are the creme de la creme of English football are out for themselves, and cannot seem to play as a team, as most of them still seem to see each other as rivals from other teams.
I think it would be better if all countries picked their National Team from their second tier teams, i.e England picking from the Championship. This would give the "lesser known/smaller ego'd (?) players a chance to showcase their skills and they would probably play with a lot more pride and enthusiasm than the Premiership players seem to do.
Of course then it would free up the Premiership players to concentrate on the English season and competitions e.g the grand old F.A cup, and to try and "out-wit" the "Special One", who like him or not, has breathed the breathe of life not only into the Magnificent Chelsea, but the English game as a whole. ;-)
Last edited by: devonite on Sun 9 Mar 14 at 14:16
Roy Hodgson is a bit of a Doug Brownsuit - uninspiring, lifeless, no charisma and it shows in the way his teams play.

There is a great article in the Guardian which sums up nicely why we have so few home grown players coming through the system.

www.theguardian.com/football/2014/mar/08/how-football-lost-touch-young-fans
 World Cup - devonite
Great Article - twas just how it was! - We got fresh Air and Sunshine, not square-eyed and Asthmatic!
 World Cup - BobbyG
100% failure rate for the worlds best league in Europe so far......
 World Cup - Zero
Quiz for you Bobby.

Who is bottom of Group H, Played 6, Lost 5, scored three, conceded 14, points 3.

If thats too tough for you I'll give you a clue.

They play in green hoops.

Lets look at how the nations are represented at the tops of the groups currently

Germany 2
Spain 3
England 2
France 1

World Cup - BobbyG
Quiz for you Zero

What league claims it is the best in the world.
What league gets multi billion pound TV income

Give you a clue, 50% of their teams have disappeared out of Champions League in last 24 hours
 World Cup - BobbyG
Oh and that team in green and white hoops was in the Champions League last year longer than Chelsea, Man Utd and Man City..............
 World Cup - Zero
>> Oh and that team in green and white hoops was in the Champions League last
>> year longer than Chelsea, Man Utd and Man City..............

Ah faded history, thats all a Jock footy fan can ever hope for.
 World Cup - Alanovich
>> Ah faded history, that's all a Jock footy fan can ever hope for.
>>

Chucking stone about in glass houses again, Z.

1966, wasn't it? Nearly 50 years of hurt now?
 World Cup - Zero
>> >> Ah faded history, that's all a Jock footy fan can ever hope for.
>> >>
>>
>> Chucking stone about in glass houses again, Z.
>>
>> 1966, wasn't it? Nearly 50 years of hurt now?

Nope not at all

Look at all those world cup finals we have qualified for? Look at all those world cup finals they haven't.

Look at all those European championship finals we have qualified for - look at all the ones they haven't.

Look at all the Champions League titles won by English Premier league teams, and look at the none by them. (it wasn't called the Champions league when Celtic won it back when i was still in nappies)

I'll rightfully accept any criticism of English Clubs and English Leagues from any successful supporter of another, but its just jealous sour grapes from a league and nation that have never risen above abject failure.
 World Cup - No FM2R
>>I'll rightfully accept any criticism of English Clubs and English Leagues from any successful supporter of another, but its just jealous sour grapes from a league and nation that have never risen above abject failure.

Cobblers.

Will you accept my criticism of the English national team because regrettably I support a pretty unsuccessful national team myself? [England]

Supporting England is painful. Nothing since 1966, and that was hardly a resounding delivery of quality; yet every time a championship someone starts talking about how they might do it this time.

Every time a match comes up we hope for great things and then they go out and perform like a bunch of headless rabbits.

If one supports England then one becomes an expert on goal difference and mathematical [im]possibility.

England is a mediocre footballing nation with a mediocre football team - as befits their size and thus the pool they can draw upon. I can live with that, its the attitude which gets up my nose.

They couldn't even beat Chile; given that they didn't try very hard, that's not that surprising. But when and how often do they actually look proud to wear the shirt and go out and try hard?

If it helps, I'll get No. 1 to co-sign this. She's Brasilian.
 World Cup - Zero

>> Cobblers.
>>
>> Will you accept my criticism of the English national team because regrettably I support a
>> pretty unsuccessful national team myself? [England]

Of course, As I indeed myself am, and a vocal critic of the national team and the premier league, and the FA,

>> England is a mediocre footballing nation with a mediocre football team - as befits their
>> size and thus the pool they can draw upon. I can live with that, its
>> the attitude which gets up my nose.

Absolutely, agree 100%

>>
>> They couldn't even beat Chile; given that they didn't try very hard, that's not that
>> surprising. But when and how often do they actually look proud to wear the shirt
>> and go out and try hard?

Absolutely Agree 100%

>> If it helps, I'll get No. 1 to co-sign this. She's Brasilian.

No need.

However she or you or me are not from a nation of complete losers (soccer wise) who are a complete soccer Joke, and were a Joke at their last World Cup foray (Ali's Army? LOL comical stuff) so you me and mrs Brazil 1996, have the right and authority to criticise and belittle English soccer. All a Jock can do is look on with awe and wonder and dream.
 World Cup - Alanovich
>> were a Joke at their last World
>> Cup foray (Ali's Army? LOL comical stuff)

You think Scotland's last World Cup qualification was 1978? Oh dear. Also, there were a few things they qualified for and not England, between 1966 and 2000. The 1978 World Cup which you mock for starters. England weren't there. 1974 also.
 World Cup - Zero
wow two out of how many compared to the scotts?

You are trying to defend the utterly indefensible. As I said, I have to right to belittle England, Scots have no moral football grounds to do so.

Last edited by: Zero on Thu 13 Mar 14 at 13:01
 World Cup - Alanovich
England have qualified for 12 World Cups, Scotland 8. Not bad given the relative populations of the countries. There's nothing to belittle on either side, really. Now Wales............... ;-)
 World Cup - No FM2R
I've not really spent much time watching Scotland, but how's their attitude when they play?

As I said, I don't really care who is better, but I do like to watch a fun game with committed players.
 World Cup - madf
>> I've not really spent much time watching Scotland, but how's their attitude when they play?
>>
>> As I said, I don't really care who is better, but I do like to
>> watch a fun game with committed players.
>>

Scotland are committed - to losing.
 World Cup - Zero
As long as the beat England, and the fans get to rip up the goal posts and vomit in the Trafalgar Square fountains, they are happy.
 World Cup - Alanovich
As opposed to England fans who, win lose or draw, will smash up your city square and rearrange all the restaurant furniture for you under the fire of water cannon. So much more civilised.

The Tartan Army are welcomed wherever they go with open arms, and pubs. England fans are welcomed with riot police and metal shutters on the pubs.
 World Cup - Zero
>> The Tartan Army are welcomed wherever they go with open arms, and pubs.

You not been to an England Scotland game then?

I think you have become bitter and twisted because Fulham are going down big time and Chelsea are going to win the League.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 13 Mar 14 at 14:04
 World Cup - Bromptonaut
>> You not been to an England Scotland game then?

Loads of them in London for last year's fixture. Lots of japes but very little trouble.
 World Cup - Alanovich
>> >> The Tartan Army are welcomed wherever they go with open arms, and pubs.
>>
>> You not been to an England Scotland game then?

Yeah, was at the Euro 2000 play off 2nd leg at Wemberlee. Great camararderie between supporters around the ground.

>> I think you have become bitter and twisted because Fulham are going down big time
>> and Chelsea are going to win the League.
>>

We're going back where we belong. As soon as Abramovich sods off they will too. Matter of time. Don't see any notes of bitter and twisted in my contributions here.

I'm quite used to my teams losing, it makes the victories all the sweeter. Travelling in expectation is something I would hate. Must be a drag for all the glory hunter fans, celebration becomes mundane, defeat is just defeat. Can't see what anyone gets out of following regular trophy winners. I expect a West Ham fan would understand that point.
 World Cup - Zero
>>I expect a West Ham fan would understand that point.

Like my dreams they fade and die.
 World Cup - Alanovich

>> Like my dreams they fade and die.

An odd sentiment for a football anthem, but apt given the team.

I travel to Cardiff this Saturday in expectation of a pasting. Anything else will be a bonus. Going with two Welsh mates, I expect there will be beer, hymns and arias. Should soften the blow of the inevitable result on the pitch.
 World Cup - No FM2R
>>As opposed to England fans.....

I don't think *any* National team has got wholly nice supporters, has it?

Every team seems to have its violent scumbags - I know for certain by experience that England, Uruguay, Sweden, Germany, Brazil, Chile and The Netherlands have certainly got them.
A French hack once told me what it had been like attending an Algeria-Morocco game in the Algerian national stadium.

With other spectators he had scrambled up to the top of the seating to avoid the hail of dangerous missiles raining down on the part of the stadium he had chosen to sit in. Ended up hanging by his hands from the back wall of the stadium 20 feet above the ground. Riot police arrived, swarmed up to the top of the stadium and started beating their hands with truncheons to make them let go, which they did.

He wasn't seriously injured but said with some gravity - and he was a foreign hack don't forget, not a type of person easily alarmed - that he had never, ever, been so terrified in his life.

Millwall? Bunch of girlies.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Thu 13 Mar 14 at 16:57
 World Cup - Alanovich
I narrowly avoided a pasting at the hands of Yugoslavia supporters at Euro 2000, the classic Yugo vs Slovenia match. In the undercroft at half time, Yugos 3-0 down, some nasty types had heard me speaking English, and had it in for the Brits as NATO had just finished ironing out the wrinkles in Belgrade. Fortunately a bystander intervened and pointed out that I was wearing a Scotland shirt, which apparently made it all right. They apologised and I acknowledged them in Serbo-Croat, which made them all jump.

Why the Scots were less guilty of the NATO bombings than the English though remains a mystery.

>> Why the Scots were less guilty of the NATO bombings than the English though remains a mystery.

One of the Five Useful Mysteries though eh?

I am fortunate perhaps in not liking footer very much. I would go out of my way to avoid watching a game live.
 World Cup - No FM2R
>> I would go out of my way to avoid watching a game live.

I wouldn't go out on the terraces, although its probably better now and that's just a /prejudice / hangover from my late 70s experiences.

However, I absolutely love both live soccer and live rugby when watched from the safety and comfort of a box.

Interestingly though a while ago I attended a London Irish match and a Reading FC match in the Madejski stadium and in both cases I was in a box.

It was sooo much better at the Rugby match. At the football match they wouldn't serve alcohol at half time or after full time.

Whereas at the rugby match I crawled out on my knees, relaxed as a newt.

A very similar experience a few years ago when I saw a Baa-Baas vs Argentina match at The Millennium, which you would have thought was going to be a fractious experience but actually wasn't, followed by some football cup final or other a couple of weeks later which was awful and like being in a war zone.

The hospitality environment at Twickenham is superb. Highly recommended.
>
>> Why the Scots were less guilty of the NATO bombings than the English though remains
>> a mystery.
>>

In many parts of Abroad they think of Britain as being England and the Welsh and Scots as just neighbours, if they even know where either country is of course.
 World Cup - Zero
>> Quiz for you Zero
>>
>> What league claims it is the best in the world.
>> What league gets multi billion pound TV income
>>
>>
>> Give you a clue, 50% of their teams have disappeared out of Champions League in
>> last 24 hours

Still doesn't alter the fact it is one of only 4 European countries still represented at this stage, really not sure what point you are attempting to make.
 World Cup - madf
>> Quiz for you Zero
>>
>> What league claims it is the best in the world.
>> What league gets multi billion pound TV income
>>
>>
>> Give you a clue, 50% of their teams have disappeared out of Champions League in
>> last 24 hours
>>

And which League had its top team demoted 4 leagues for gross and prolonged abuse of the rules?

Hint: They have no teams in the Champions League at all..
 World Cup - BobbyG
Ah madf, I would need to get very pedantic with you on that one if you are referring to the team that once was called Rangers!!
Latest Forum Posts