Non-motoring > planning question Miscellaneous
Thread Author: borasport Replies: 4

planning question - borasport
The in-laws live on the edge of their village - there are houses on the other side of the road to them, then fields. The fields are currently under development for housing, and when this new development was mooted/approved, the locals always moaned that there was inadequate access to the new development - I don't know how big it is, but there is only one access road.

A house opposite the in-laws is on the market, and the developers have expressed an interest in it - every one assumes they want to buy it, knock it down and create a new access road - is this a likely scenario, I would have thought changing the land use from residential to access road would be a significant change ?
 planning question - No FM2R
>>is this a likely scenario

It depends, there are two things to easily check....

Was the number of houses they could build limited by the current access and additional access might create the opportunity for additional houses?

Was there a restriction within the permission that said within a set period of time additional access to the current development must be provided?
 planning question - Tigger
Having worked for a developer, I think the answer would be "only if it allows them to make more profit!"
 planning question - MD
Usual scenario. Friend of a friend made 500k from a 235k Bungalow by selling to the big boys.
 planning question - Fenlander
>>>- is this a likely scenario, I would have thought changing the land use from residential to access road would be a significant change ?

Very likely I'd say... planning depts. are often happy with this if it releases land where access was the only issue. Remember planning departments have targets to meet in enabling housing.

Known it personally too where developers of a prestige 100 house proposal with an over narrow access offered to buy a cousin's house for 50% over value to enable the road to be widened. She refused and they had to find another way which reduced the number of houses they could build.
Latest Forum Posts