Non-motoring > Where do you invest money? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: movilogo Replies: 36

Where do you invest money? - movilogo
.. and what % return you get over how many years?

:-)
 Where do you invest money? - Redviper
Invested in property, but not selling at the moment im going to put someone in there. they pay rent, mortgage gets paid and maybe in 15- 20 years the house can be sold for a nice little nest egg for my future offspring.

Where do you invest money? - RattleandSmoke
Down the pub :).

I do have a bit in my ISA but the tax man will take that all away from me.
 Where do you invest money? - Duncan
>> I do have a bit in my ISA but the tax man will take that>> all away from me.
>>

Why? Unless there is some reason that I haven't thought of, all ISAs are income tax exempt.

You are of course wise in choosing brewers as an investment vehicle.

;-)
 Where do you invest money? - rtj70
>> >> I do have a bit in my ISA but the tax man will take that>> all away from me.
>> >>
>>Why? Unless there is some reason that I haven't thought of, all ISAs are income tax
>> exempt.

I assume Rattle's money in the ISA is for paying his income tax bill - he's self employed.
 Where do you invest money? - AnotherJohnH
>> Invested in property, but not selling at the moment im going to put someone in there.
>> they pay rent, mortgage gets paid and maybe in 15- 20 years the house can be sold
>> for a nice little nest egg for my future offspring.

If the current government does what is threatened next week, you're going to drop for capital gains tax at a very high rate at the point of sale.

tinyurl.com/3822sgp
 Where do you invest money? - Zero
Next month I shall be putting 15k for three years into NS&I bonds paying 1% tax free above the RPI
RPI is currently 3.5%, so thats currently 4.5% tax free.

Thats better than any ISA.
 Where do you invest money? - movilogo
What is RPI?
 Where do you invest money? - Dog
>>What is RPI?<<

Rubber and Plastics Industries, where Mr Zed gets his prophylactics from.
Last edited by: Dog on Thu 17 Jun 10 at 13:46
RPI, retail price index - Inflation.
 Where do you invest money? - SteelSpark
Most in saving accounts, but given the low interest rates and the dive in stock markets last year I started investing some in the US and UK markets.

Was up about 100% from April 2009 to April 2010, but 20% down from April to June this year.

Stocks seem undervalued relative to property at the moment (which is back at 2007 prices in many areas). Still a lot more of a rollercoaster than a cash ISA :)
 Where do you invest money? - L'escargot
Cash ISAs and regular monthly savings.
 Where do you invest money? - Stuu
Years ago when an investment I made in my teens came good, I invested the £50k I made buying into my parents house. Ill get it back one day. Its better I cant get to it, money tends to disappear when you have access to it.
I dont really have much savings, but I have alot in property, well, its alot to me. About £200k atm. It forms part of my retirement plan.
>> Cash ISAs and regular monthly savings.

your retired! what are you saving for, life behind the pearly gates?
 Where do you invest money? - Ted

Saga seemed the best for me when I needed to invest some lolly a year ago.
4.65 gross. They put it with Birmingham Midshires. We took out a 3 year bond in joint names so we both share the protection .
2 years to run.....see what interest rates are by then.

Ted
 Where do you invest money? - Mapmaker
Zero's investment will be fine if RPI stays up at current levels; less fine if it drops - actually, it will be better, as he won't be paying tax on merely keeping up with inflation.
you mean wont be paying tax on beating inflation.
 Where do you invest money? - Stuartli
Investing money at the present time is, to me at least, a waste of space...

Best interest rates are around two and a half per cent and even if that's in an ISA rather than straightforward account, your capital will lose its value virtually equivalent to the interest rate (before tax).

Best to buy what you want at the moment (large screen plasma TV or similar) and enjoy the pleasure of using such items whilst your savings gradually lose their value...:-)

To put it another way. If I asked you to lend me a tenner now with an offer to pay you back in a year's time with your tenner and 25p interest, I'm sure you would tell me exactly where to go...
 Where do you invest money? - CGNorwich
Perhaps true to a point but what do you do when you don't need any more plasma screens and the like right now?
unless of course you invest at a guaranteed % above inflation.

Its rather like saying, give me £15k and in a year I will give you your 15k back AND a wide screen LED TV.
 Where do you invest money? - Mapmaker
You're right, Zero, they do seem particularly attractive at the moment. Tax free, with a real rate of return.
 Where do you invest money? - Berisford
You're right Stuartli, we've just spent a chunk of 0.25% before tax! savings on double glazing and a big plasma, they're brilliant. To think of all the years I maintained and made-do with the old wooden windows and the ancient Sony and for what I ask myself?

I've recently observed the offspring of a recently deceased friend go on a mighty spending spree with the proceeds of his will. He was like me, careful, but he still died early. I know it's their money to do as they wish but in my eyes they 'squandered' it.

It opened my eyes a bit, so sod it, we've decieded to sqaunder some of ours whilst we're still alive!
 Where do you invest money? - Alastairw
Mostly with Ladbrokes, some with W Hill. Neither are providing a reliable return on investment, sadly.
 Where do you invest money? - Haywain
My new BMW is still earning 7% at the Anglo Irish garage. I'm just hoping that the roof doesn't collapse before October!
 Where do you invest money? - Duncan
In today's climate, I think Rattly's idea of investing with the brewers is quite sound!

Certainly more fun!
 Where do you invest money? - BiggerBadderDave
"Best interest rates are around two and a half per cent "

Invest abroad. You can still get 6% in Poland. Until a year or so ago one bank was advertising 11% (with some restrictions).
>> one bank was advertising 11% (with some restrictions).

Possibly along the lines that you need to live in Poland and have a polish bank account?
How would they know?
ooooooo, check drawn on a non Polish bank perhaps?
A resourceful chap like you could get past that.
The thing about investing abroad to get very good returns...

it isn't that long ago some people thought it was a good idea to use the banks in Iceland.

As it is, I've got sufficient concerns about one of the UK arms of Santander - they protest too much that everything is fine and dandy, and fully self funded in the UK and _nothing_ to do with Spain.

As Mandy Rice Davies more or less once said - "well they would, wouldn't they?"
some people thought it was a good idea to use the banks in Iceland

And strangely enough at the end of the day it was. My 3 year Icesave bond paying 6.5% would have matured later this year and will receive full compensation from FSCS.

>> And strangely enough at the end of the day it was.
>> My 3 year Icesave bond paying 6.5% would have matured later this year
>> and will receive full compensation from FSCS.

You are fortunate, unlike our local Council, which is about £3m down:

Kaupthing - £1m. This was a forward investment made in June 2007 to run from April 2008 to March 2009.
Landsbanki - £1m. A 2 year investment from April 2007 to March 2009.
Glitnir - £1m. A forward investment made in June 2007 to run from December 2007 to December 2008.
>> some people thought it was a good idea to use the banks in Iceland
>>
>>
>> And strangely enough at the end of the day it was. My 3 year Icesave
>> bond paying 6.5% would have matured later this year and will receive full compensation from
>> FSCS.

Are you sure? I thought the FSCS would just make sure you got your money back, not any interest as well.
Are you sure?

Absolutely - Have already received compensation for my two year bond.
 Where do you invest money? - John H
>> Invest abroad. You can still get 6% in Poland. Until a year or so ago
>> one bank was advertising 11% (with some restrictions).
>>

How is Poland's exchange rate doing against the £ ? Is that a Zloty in your pocket which is as big as a Pound, or is that bulge just because you are excited chatting to Zero?

There were Iceland Banks offering good rates in the UK a couple of years ago. Wonder what happened to them?

Greece which is in the Eurozone is offering very good rates at the moment too.
blogs.reuters.com/columns/2010/03/29/greek-interest-rates-should-stay-high/
has successfully sold 5 billion euros ($6.7 billion) of seven-year paper at a yield of 6 percent, about 3.5 percentage points more than comparable German government debt

edit: Iceland - SNAP to AnotherJohnH, although I don't knwo why I didn't see your post for 12 minutes!
Last edited by: John H on Sat 19 Jun 10 at 11:45
When I first came you could get 7 zlots for a pound. Last year it dropped to almost 4 which was crippling me because I earn pounds so my income was almost halved. It's creeping up to 5 at the moment.

I should get more Polish clients really. Or a proper job.
Latest Forum Posts