Non-motoring > Sony Xperia M Miscellaneous
Thread Author: sherlock47 Replies: 3

Sony Xperia M - sherlock47
Does anybody here use the Sony Xperia M (Android) with Skype installed AND use with NFC screen mirroring to a Sony Bravia TV (42W805A).

The reason I ask is that I cannot get a definitive answer from either the Sony UK technical help line - " you will have to try it" or a large Sony centre " 90% sure that it will, but the application may disable mirroring". "We cannot try it here, we do not stock the M -all employess have the Z or better".

Tha reason behind the question is that the TV will directly support Skype BUT only if a Sony (overpriced camera) is USB attached. It would be a good excuse to get a phone upgrade, man maths only :)

I just wonder if the mirroring and application push the processor to its limits?

The Sony store gave one useful tip - "why not buy it by post and try it, and then return within 14days under the distance selling regs if there is a problem.
 Sony Xperia M - Zero
My question is why would you want to Skype on a 42 inch screen? Its has loads of practical issues and only 1 real use.

Practical issues.

Skype is low bandwidth, on a 42 inch screen it will appear very blocky

You need to sit a long way away from the screen, with NFC your camera has to be close to the screen, so you as one of the participant will be a long way away form the camera. This in turn will cause real Skype audio issues as well as pointless use of video in two way chat.

The ONLY "use" for this would be for Skype-ing a whole family group at once. Tried that - its chaos.

>>>>The ONLY "use" for this would be for Skype-ing a whole family group at once. Tried that - its chaos. <<<<

you got it in one!
The camera (ie NFC device) does not have to be close to the screen. The W805A is supplied with a mini remote control that provides the NFC interface and communicates with the TV using Bluetooth (I think) or possibly WiFi. Certainly not IR control!
Latest Forum Posts