Non-motoring > Scottish Power Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 33

Scottish Power - Ambo
Can users of this fuel company comment on their degree of satisfaction with it please? It offers me the best deal by far, via its Tariff Online Fixed price Energy February 2015 v3 scheme.
 Scottish Power - Alanovich
Expect them to increase your monthly DD every month for no good reason, never answer any communications requesting it be reduced back to the proper level, and then refuse to give you back all the credit you've built up. Even when you've switched away.

This is my experience.

I would not recommend them.

I was warned about this on here when I switched to them, but ignored advice as they were the lowest priced supplier.

I am now back with Eon. And I'm waiting for a few quids' worth of overpayments back from SP.
 Scottish Power - MJM
Alanovic's experience reflects ours.

Wouldn't touch them again with a well insulated bargepole.
 Scottish Power - Dog
www.reviewcentre.com/reviews82624.html

:-(
 Scottish Power - Manatee
Oh dear.

I am in the process of switching elec & gas from OVO to SP.

Actually OVO advised me at one point that they were increasing my DD from £148 to £200.

I calculated my usage at their prices and told them £148 would cover it (it did) and they left it. You can ring them up and have a sensible conversation, usually.

OVO were late and confusing though with their new offer, and SP are cheaper. They are fitting me a new elec meter next month (current one is an old economy 7 meter, OVO have been adding the readings together).
 Scottish Power - Robin O'Reliant
Anyone else think this was another thread about Alex Salmond?
 Scottish Power - RichardW
Been with SP for about 5 years. Just changed to the fixed rate the OP mentioned. They did hike up the DD last year to cover an underrun when changed tarriff (their algorithm is a bit OTT) - but have just replied quickly to my request to drop it back to a level that matches spend. I didn't ask for the credit back, maybe that's why no problem! They have failed to reply to my request about getting the meter moved though....
 Scottish Power - Ambo
>> getting the meter moved though

Did you get a price for this? I was quoted "about £500 plus VAT, subject to site inspection" over the phone three years ago.

I have left it to the EON meter reader to mount the ladder provided, lever open the narrow 100-year-old door to the high level external porch cupboard and crane his or her neck and shoulders through 90 degrees and shine a torch on the display.
 Scottish Power - borasport
similar experiemce to the others.

our deal is up on friday, I'm trying to do the sums but haven't had a bill from them since september and my web account says I'll get one in December 2013, also I'd like to know why my account is > £400 in credit

Tried to ring at a weekend but missed the saturday morning - customers don't have queries on sat pm or sunday, apparently. Emailed them, and got a reply 8 working days later (their target -5) asking for meter readings, which they got a week ago, but nothing has happened since
 Scottish Power - Alastairw
I have been with SP for about 12 months as there's was the longest capped rate when I did "switch with which". Service much of a muchness with any other utility ime. Meter readings requested by email every quarter ensure accurate billing. As this winter has been relatively warm I am hoping for a small surplus after the next reading.
 Scottish Power - RichardW
Some glitch in the billing from SP in Dec - we were supposed to be billed then too, but no request for meter reading. I just put one in on-line and account updated immediately. Not sure I have seen the bill yet mind....

Re the meter - no, not got a price to move yet, but this is the gas meter - current location is in the way of proposed extension, so it's got to move.
 Scottish Power - MD
They all up the DD to borrow free money. Thieving gits the lot of them. I refuse to have anything to do with DD's with any utility apart from BT. I is in control Bwana.
 Scottish Power - Dulwich Estate
I've never had a problem with them. It's all done online and they even reduced my monthly DD without me asking.

My fixed deal is up in March - they sent a reminder - so the search for a new supplier recommences.
 Scottish Power - Focusless
My fixed deal was due to end tomorrow; after a quick look on the comparison sites couldn't spot anything cheaper than the next fixed deal (for a year), so switched to that earlier this morning.

Hadn't had any problems, and they've responded ok the few times I've asked questions.
 Scottish Power - maltrap
I've been with them for a few years now, only because they were cheapest. my usual problem is when my account is a couple of hundred quid in credit i hear nothing, when it's two hundred quid in debit they want to increase my dd, when i ring them to argue the toss the lines are busy and they offer "callback" this can be an hour later so i'm hanging about waiting. But i suppose i'll stick with them as long as they're cheapest!
 Scottish Power - TheManWithNoName
Should the vote for Scottish independence be a YES, I hope they take their shabby power outfit with them!
I changed ny meter in November 2013 from a two rate to a single rate. Since then I have been battling with SP to get them to accept the change so I can enter my single reading rate on-line. Utter crap and they don't resond to emails within 5 working days despite what it says on the auto-response.
 Scottish Power - Lygonos
I think SP are part of the Spanish Iberdrola outfit.

Maybe Santander can advise on customer service.
 Scottish Power - bathtub tom
Try emailing the CEO:

Scottish Power

Mr Neil Clitheroe CEO Retail & Generation

Email neil.clitheroe@scottishpower.com
 Scottish Power - Ambo
Enough said to keep me with EON pro tem.
 Scottish Power - Dog
They're all much of a muchness if y'all ask me (cartel?) one hears a lot of neg about nPower but I've bin wivvam for 3 years now - I switch the light on and it works, I plug the telly in and it works ... what's not to like??

:}
 Scottish Power - Haywain
It's just 3 years ago this month since we stopped buying energy from Scottish Power, and this morning, we received a letter.

"Good News We're Sending You a Credit - We recently reviewed our billing system and are pleased to let you know that you have a final credit balance on a previous Scottish Power energy account and we will send you the credit………."

Anyone else had one? Anyone any idea what might have invoked that? It kind of feels more genuine than the letter we had on Saturday from The European Postcode Lottery telling us that we'd won £500,000.
Last edited by: Haywain on Thu 19 Jun 14 at 15:36
 Scottish Power - No FM2R
conversation.which.co.uk/energy-home/ofgem-big-six-400m-closed-energy-accounts/
 Scottish Power - Haywain
Ah, thanks for the link, NoFM, that'll most probably be the explanation. I doubt that the sum will be very much as I keep a pretty close eye on these things. I suspect it could have arisen from some sort of back-dated price change after I had left them.

It's a bit rich, though, isn't it? "Good news" - we're giving you back your money that we've been hanging on to for 3 years and which we would still be hanging onto were it not for an Ofgem enquiry. Cheeky divils!
 Scottish Power - Cliff Pope
In my experience they are either all the same, or else the tariffs so complicated that it's impossible to make any comparisons.
I've switched suppliers at home and work, after going through all the comparison stuff. The results are that the bills just keep on oing up. How much they would have gone up anyway is hard to tell, so I am just left feeling it was all a waste of time.

Internet/phone providers are the same, except that you get a disrupted service during the changeover, and the personal service manager who promised to be your point of contact has disappeared so its back to the queue to India anyway.

I've decided I'm not going to do any more switching, except to switch off whenever anyone suggests it.
 Scottish Power - Fursty Ferret
Just adding my name to the growing list of people who've had an appalling experience with Scottish Power. From wrong bills to haranguing me when I tried to switch away, the whole experience was utterly miserable.

I'm now with SSE on a two year fix, and what's more when I needed to call, someone actually answered the phone AND knew what they were talking about.
 Scottish Power - Dulwich Estate
"haranguing me when I tried to switch away"

Yup, my experience with Scottish Power was good as a supplier but not so good as an ex-supplier now. We've since been bombarded with sales calls and they don't answer emails.

The actual switch date was only a couple of weeks ago so I can't report on the credit / debit side of things yet, but so far it's probably enough aggro for me to not use them again.
And another. Scottish Power managed to hoick my monthly DD up to £174. I switched to Eon last October at £144 a month, and they've reduced it now to £114.

Obviously, Scottish Power's plan is to take as much money as possible from people in excess of their usage and keep it in their own accounts gaining interest.

Will never touch the swines again. I was warned, but was tempted by their claims of being the cheapest. Won't be fooled again.
 Scottish Power - Crankcase
I've said it before, but I still don't see why anyone would go onto a tariff where they take a regular payment each month which the company sets. Mine (EDF) has always been happy to just take the right amount for the electricity I've used each quarter, by direct debit (so I still get the dd "discount").

I just feel more in control that way - chuck them the readings when they ask, the website updates immediately with the amount they will take, ten days later it goes out.

To be fair there IS an amount shown for a monthly payment, but that is only invoked if I don't pay for some reason. They did it once by mistake, but sorted it in a few minutes when I rang them.
 Scottish Power - Roger.
I'm just leaving EDF for Extra Energy - cheaper gas & leccie unit cos,t fixed to Sept 2015, with standing charges much cheaper.
Will report in due course.
>> I'm just leaving EDF for Extra Energy

German company I believe. Glad to see you're benefiting from freedom of EU trade, good for you! Enjoy it (as you did your residence in Spain) whilst it lasts.
 Scottish Power - Haywain
"German company I believe."

Which ones are English?
>> "German company I believe."
>>
>> Which ones are English?
>>

Indeed. Imagine the mess if we left the EU.
 Scottish Power - Haywain
"Indeed. Imagine the mess if we left the EU."

Is this why they cost so much?

Anyway, are they all in the EU? I know that our Local Network Provider (UK Power Networks) is Chinese.
 Scottish Power - Haywain
Just to round off this particular segment of the Scottish Power thread………..

A payment of £38.16 arrived in my current account on 27th June and, whilst I was pleased to receive this, I would have liked a bit of an explanation about where it came from and how I had missed it. So - I rang the freephone number at the top of the 'Good news' letter.

After a while (press this, press that, etc), the call was answered by a young lady with a sweet, fast, unintelligible Glaswegian accent. All she could tell me, as far as I could understand, was that "The computer system had been changed and these things had come to light". I told her that I realised that none of this was her fault, thanked her politely and said bye-bye.

Good news - indeed!!! I hope the Jocks vote 'Yes'.
Latest Forum Posts