Non-motoring > First Cut of the Season :S Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Fullchat Replies: 91

First Cut of the Season :S - Fullchat
Oooooh yes!

Been dry here for the last few days and the wind has dried out the grass which is growing and looking a bit unkempt. So never to miss an opportunity.
 First Cut of the Season :S - Haywain
"Been dry here for the last few days and the wind has dried out the grass which is growing and looking a bit unkempt. So never to miss an opportunity."

Now THAT is a sign of climate change!
 First Cut of the Season :S - bathtub tom
I see it's a week or so earlier this year: www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=275&m=3611&v=e

I heard one yesterday.
 First Cut of the Season :S - CGNorwich
Mowed mine last Thursday. My Soil free draining to say the least - House built on a re-claimed gravel pit. Not really been exceptionally wet this winter in Norfolk either and mild weather has meant grass has not really stopped growing. Hardly had a frost all winter and its 10C here again today
 First Cut of the Season :S - Clk Sec
I've not heard any early mowers within earshot of my gaff yet. Don't usually do my own until around the first or second week of March.
 First Cut of the Season :S - Armel Coussine
It's still so soggy underfoot over a lot of our back lawn here that an attempt to mow would be very hard work and make something of a mess. There are molehills and objects lying about quite apart from the dead leaves making all our grass look ratty. The grass has just started to grow again though and crocuses and things are poking up.

I am not looking forward to mowing at all, even if it will be good for my wind and muscle.
 First Cut of the Season :S - Slidingpillar
I don't have a back lawn, I now have a mossery! Although I don't get puddles, the surface is very wet.

Neighbour's back lawn is the same.
 First Cut of the Season :S - Westpig
I wouldn't dare cut mine for a while, I'd churn it up to hell.
 First Cut of the Season :S - Pat
If you'd made a proper job of it last back end, then you wouldn't need to be mowing it yet!

>> I don't have a back lawn, I now have a mossery!<<

I don't have a back lawn either, I have a molery.

He's had a field day but instead of in the field he's chosen my lawn again. I have been lent a solar mole scarer today so we'll see if that works, if not I shall be looking to borrow a shotgun and swivel chair.......for Ian.

Pat
Last edited by: Pat on Sun 23 Feb 14 at 15:40
 First Cut of the Season :S - Cliff Pope
Anyone heard the first hosepipe ban of spring yet?
 First Cut of the Season :S - Pat
I got mine out yesterday to water the winter baskets and window boxes!

Pat
 First Cut of the Season :S - madf
Cut a non mossy section last Wed.

Mole traps ready to catch another intrepid wanderer from the next door field.

All lawnmowers serviced and ready to go...
 First Cut of the Season :S - Dave_
Soggy, squelchy lawn here with many bare patches courtesy of the last tenant's dogs. Definitely not ready for a trim for at least another two weeks.

I have my own hosepipe now, I reeled it out to wash the car last week and even though the water table across most of the country is only just below the surface I still felt a little bit subversive using it.
Last edited by: Dave_C220CDI on Sun 23 Feb 14 at 20:47
 First Cut of the Season :S - Bromptonaut
On clay here. Either waterlogged or dry with no noticeable transition Green and growing today but still sopping underfoot.
 First Cut of the Season :S - Roger.
Our patch is not fit to be walked on, by virtue of a myriad of soggy worm-casts.
It had its anti-moss spray 10 days ago and still show the footsteps of Mr. Green Thumb.
Only a very prolonged dry spell will allow us to besom off the offending piles without making the situation worse.
Unfortunately the 'elf & safety lot have banned the only really effective worm killer chemical.
Our soil is light, so we don't really need the aerating benefits of earthworms.
 First Cut of the Season :S - VxFan
Cut my grass for the 1st time this year.

Mower still had ½ tank of last years fuel but topped it up anyway (with some more of last years fuel). Primed the carb, checked the oil. Ready to go. Didn't even bother cleaning the spark plug this time, something that I normally do.

Anyway, 1st pull on the cord and she fires up and runs for a couple of seconds before dying again. Pressed the primer bulb a couple more times for good measure, 2nd pull and away she goes.

I think that's the quickest the mower has ever started.

Memo for next year, do the same as last time and just brush off the worst of the grass and just chuck it in the garage for winter.
Cut mine for first time last weekend with blades set high. Second today with them dropped a notch or so. Grass stays green and in another fortnight I'll apply feed/weed. Gradually drop blade height afterwards until summer setting of 4 is achieved or it's scalping the high points.

Neighbour's mower is set to 'scalp' whatever time of year and his lawn is already a lumpy mess and will be duly invaded by weeds.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sat 15 Mar 14 at 21:26
The good weather has started the back lawn growing at last. But it's still so slimy underfoot over a third of the area or more that it isn't feasible to run the mower on it yet. Thank goodness.

There are a few things to pick up but there must be a dozen molehills, bad cess to the little brutes. Fortunately no really big ones so far.
A mole can dig 18 feet of tunnel in an hour. Industrious little things aren't they?

First Cut of the Season :S - Focusless
Had to do mine last weekend too; lawn is pretty wild and grows at different rates so once it starts it gets unsightly pretty quickly.

3rd season for our £100 Argos petrol mower and on last year's fuel only need 6 pulls to burst into life, which was fewer than I was expecting. Ran ok too.
We aren't quite out of usable firewood and anyway in my view it's wasted burning it in an open fireplace to make the room look cosy. In truth the house doesn't really need the extra heat. But herself has been lobbying me to cut the 6-foot bits of birch standing in the woodshed into loglets. She likes to keep my nose to the grindstone, doubtless for my own good really.

Fortunately someone left the sawhorse thingy out in the wood in the rain and its pivot has rusted up. It can be moved but not when the chainsaw is clamped in it, just by force. No amount of hammering and wrenching would free the pivot. So I have a reprieve of at least 24 hours while the WD40 soaks in. Perhaps it will need several applications, with luck. Hooray!

Doubles all round, yee-HAH!

First Cut of the Season :S - Harleyman
Our trusty Mountfield mower was destroyed in the 2012 fire; it's supposedly temporary replacement was a £10 bargain from a friend, a 21" Harry (obscure Italian make with B&S engine, spares no longer available) which I thought would do until the end-of-season sales. It lacked a belt cover, the rear flap was held on with wire but it started and ran well so I used it, and never did get round to buying a replacement.

Delivering a load of feed to a farm near Fishguard a few weeks ago, I came across an identical mower on the farmer's scrap-pile; all the necessary bits which were broken or missing, apart from a grass-box, seemed in good nick. He told me it didn't run so I offered him a tenner for it and took it home. Made a good 'un out of the two so to speak; checked the "new" one over out of curiosity, put a bit of fuel in the tank and some old engine oil (why waste good stuff?) in the sump, to my surprise and pleasure it went second pull. Knocks a bit so perhaps a strip-down and new big end and main bearings, but I think I've very much had my money's worth!

Cut the grass for the first time today, and also burned a load of brambles which I'd removed or cut back over the last few weeks. Forecast is for rain this week so I decided that it might be the only chance I get for a bonfire.
>> a farm near Fishguard

When my father was stationed in Pembrokeshire, place called Trecwn essentially, the parents got lodgings at a farm in Dinas Cross, just down the road from Fishguard, for a couple of months until a more suitable house (last time I looked a car showroom) became available in the main street of the local metropolis. I was 10 or 11. Learned from Mr and Mrs Smith to milk cows by hand, saw many an enormous brown rat stealing cow cake in the process, collected a lot of free range eggs from the hedgerows, learned to spot a broody hen... a very instructive period.

Of course like my later comprehensive knowledge of European and African politics it's all evaporated now. But I reckon I could still milk a cow if pushed despite my small hands.
 First Cut of the Season :S - Dog
I haven't cut my grass yet this year, it's more of a small paddock than a lawn really, so I just let it grow and then attack it with my 18" Honda Izy set at it's highest level, then gradually reduce the height o'er the following weeks.

Mower is 8 years old now, I've got a new: pull cord, blade, air filter, and oil to change which should give it a new lease of life.

I was watching a 5 year old Honda Izy on the Bay today as it appens, went for £165 on 22 bids!!
Trecwn - an MOD facility - closed a few years ago, IIRC.
>> Trecwn - an MOD facility - closed a few years ago, IIRC.

Yes.

Nowhere near as interesting as the catacombs in Trincomalee, stuffed with obsolete WW2 shells and carp but more comprehensible to a small boy.

I loved going in those shiny black Navy Humbers, whose drivers sometimes pleased me by going what passed for quickly in those days.

I don't suppose comrade Hogman you know the 'Scleddau straight' between Fishguard and Haverfordwest? They could hit 60 there, the mad idiots... But I suppose the road's been upgraded three times since then.

A privileged childhood is a precious thing, no kidding.
 First Cut of the Season :S - Harleyman
>> Trecwn - an MOD facility - closed a few years ago, IIRC.
>>

Still largely intact; Zero and others of a railway persuasion may find this interesting. The standard gauge line is still in situ.

tinyurl.com/oupyywb

>> I don't suppose comrade Hogman you know the 'Scleddau straight' between Fishguard and Haverfordwest? They
>> could hit 60 there, the mad idiots... But I suppose the road's been upgraded three
>> times since then.

I do..... normal upgrade these days is a Dyfed-Powys scamera van though. :-(
Last edited by: Harleyman on Sun 16 Mar 14 at 23:55
>> Zero and others of a railway persuasion may find this interesting. The standard gauge line is still in situ.

I did go there a few times but it was ages go and I was a child. None of the photos rings a bell, but they all remind me vividly of the awful fu aesthetic of military installations among which I spent many formative years. I do vaguely remember some narrow gauge track, but not that it was made of copper, damn! It was the sort of thing my old man might have pointed out to me, but perhaps he was being discreet. He often was.
 First cut - Armel Coussine
Finally walked the mower back and forth for an hour and a half and made some diagonal stripes on the back lawn. It was still a bit soggy but viable.

Now it will have to be done again.

And again. And again.

The mower behaves well though. Honda!!

Went with two very good friends to a local pub this evening. The pub has a famous/notorious new landlady I am told, a bit of a goer they say.

I was lurching about looking for the loo when a woman confronted me, OK but a hard piece. She asked what I wanted and I said 'the bog'. She told me where it was and added reprovingly: 'We call it the toilet'.

Was that a come-on or a no-no? Both probably.
 First cut - Fenlander
>>>Was that a come-on or a no-no

Probably just pleased you got there in time.
 First cut - Duncan
>> Was that a come-on or a no-no? Both probably.
>>

If you take a tip from me, I wouldn't rely on it as a come-on!
 First cut - legacylad
First cut of the season for me yesterday. The lawn (ha) undulated more than ever, and is more moss than grass. At least it looks green.
At some point I may bring in a load of topsoil and try to level it out, though as access is via two flights of steps up stone patios it will be a labour of love. And, I never use the lawn preferring the privacy of my patio lower down.
 First cut - Bromptonaut
Having dressed it with feed/weed stuff three weeks ago mine's now growing like billy-oh.

Twice weekly from now until September I guess. But as a retired person I've got all day in which to do it.
 First cut - Zero
>> Having dressed it with feed/weed stuff three weeks ago mine's now growing like billy-oh.
>>
>> Twice weekly from now until September I guess. But as a retired person I've got
>> all day in which to do it.

Should have wangled yourself gardening leave - the pay is better.
 First cut - Pat
>> I've got all day in which to do it. <<

That counts for nothing.

I was working all weekend and right at the top of Ian's 'To Do' list was MOW LAWN.

Today I'm wading through a jungle of grass but both the bike and the car got lovingly washed and polished.

His excuse? I didn't think it needed doing...........

Pat
 First cut - CGNorwich
I love mowing the lawn especially the small bit I do with the manual side wheel mower. Something deeply satisfying about it. Love the noise it makes and the smell - deeply nostalgic.
 First cut - madf
Weeded and feeded 3 weeks ago.
Cut twice.

Now spiking the moss.

I hate spiking lawns..
 First cut - Runfer D'Hills
I can't decide whether to get rid of the dog or the lawn. He has turned the it into a replica of the Somme over the wet winter.

Trouble is I quite like the dog and he's quite fond of the lawn.

Bit of a dilemma really.
 First cut - Fenlander
There's an otherwise nice house belonging to friends on the market a few doors away but their oversize and not suited to family life dog has ruined the whole back garden. Anything they tried to plant has been ripped up and the "lawn" is mainly polished mud tracks between occasional patches of grass attempting to provide a bit of green. Weirdly they leave the half hearted grass bits several inches long as if working towards some sort of comb over.

It's going to take about 3yrs to get anything like a decent garden back.

When we choose our dogs they are breeds that are known for not chasing stuff, refusing to play with a ball and generally lying about tucked in corners. There is no evidence at all of dog ownership here... well there is at this very moment but I'll clear it up soon.
Yes I spent about an hour on Saturday 'minesweeping' our back yard before attempting to cut what remains of the grass. You think you've got it all don't you until you get the strimmer out...

:-(
 First cut - sooty123

>> Weirdly they leave the half hearted grass bits several inches long as if working towards
>> some sort of comb over.

I wouldn't say it was weird, probably given up. Doesn't seem like it would much of a difference if they do cut it.
Our dog is driven to distraction by the people to our right who breed Guinea Pigs and have them wandering around their garden and the people to the left who apparently breed kids and keep rabbits in theirs. These are all major issues and require a lot of attention if you are a dog he tells me.
 First cut - Fenlander
Yes I remember you saying on a previous spin of the C4P topic merry-go-round. Wasn't there some sort of running track proposal?
 First cut - Armel Coussine
There are one or two dogs about nearby but not here as herself and others of her generation don't like dogs.

Our drive is also a public bridleway, and yesterday I slowed to a crawl seeing a lady with four cute hairy little pinkish-coloured terrier-style doglets on leads walking the other way. She is a neighbour and as such didn't really have to stick to the bridleway, but I stopped to say hello and praise her 'nice little dogs'. She laughed and said they were all right sometimes but weren't always nice. As I drove off they burst into a chorus of angry yapping clearly aimed at me, so I understood what the lady meant.
 First cut - madf
I have been bitten several times by dogs: rottweiler, alsatian and spaniel, so now I am very polite to them and wish each dog "good morning" when I do my morning constitutional..

Since then none of them have bitten me... but some owners have given me strange looks...:-)
Last edited by: madf on Tue 15 Apr 14 at 13:14
 First cut - R.P.
Cut the back lawn ( between 1/4 and 1/2 an acre) twice so far. Both cuts have been good thanks to combination of dry weather and a high cut on the tractor. It looks rather good now. Obligatory turd patrol beforehand. The cuttings are dumped behind our shed and as it breaks down is loaded into the "green" bins. I'd dumped one load the other afternoon and scooped up a binful of mulch, rode off only to witness the daft Springer rolling about in the mulch - he was filthy. I was seriously pee'd off with him. In fairness the back lawn must be pretty hardy, no evidence of dog wear and tear. One of the front lawns has suffered a little in one area where they pee when it rains. Decided this year to cut high and mow often. Far easier to deal with. Garden is dry front and rear despite the tempests...
 First cut - Zero
>
>> When we choose our dogs they are breeds that are known for not chasing stuff,
>> refusing to play with a ball

Any and every dog should be keen to play with a ball. Indeed its part of training them to stop them running round the garden......

and generally lying about tucked in corners. There is
>> no evidence at all of dog ownership here...

Not really any point having one if its just going to be a rug.
 First cut - Fenlander
>>>Any and every dog should be keen to play with a ball. Indeed its part of training them to stop them running round the garden......

All three of our spitz types have never wanted to play with a ball... they didn't see the point of returning something if you were going to chuck it away again. They've never run round the garden in a mad way either so we're doing something right.

>>> and generally lying about tucked in corners. Not really any point having one if its just going to be a rug.

I've said before we've chosen very carefully to suit our life rather than end up with random character traits that cause problems for ourselves or those around us. For example we go boating... a tucked away dog is ideal... almost essential actually... for smallcraft boating.

It's no big deal... just what we want from the relationship.
 First cut - Zero

>> All three of our spitz types have never wanted to play with a ball... they
>> didn't see the point of returning something if you were going to chuck it away
>> again.

Its called prey drive - all dogs have it in varying degrees. If they didnt they would have died out.

>> It's no big deal... just what we want from the relationship.

But no-one bothered to ask the dogs...........
 First cut - Fenlander
>>>>> It's no big deal... just what we want from the relationship.

But no-one bothered to ask the dogs...........

Oh dear... if your really knew animals you'd know our tailored choice is sound and far more responsible than many folks.

Our dogs have all had a great life in rural environments with huge freedom and never shut in the house for long periods while we worked.

Please don't try and push everyone into a corner where it's your way or the wrong way.
 First cut - Zero
>> >>>>> It's no big deal... just what we want from the relationship.
>>
>> But no-one bothered to ask the dogs...........
>>
>>
>> Oh dear... if your really knew animals

If you really knew what animals wanted you would know that they can't be happily "tailored"

Last edited by: Zero on Tue 15 Apr 14 at 21:08
 First cut - Fenlander
Oh double dear.

The (our) tailoring is to buy a breed with a specific character and physical needs that closest meets our lifestyle so it is the happiest fit for us and the animal... not to try and alter the animal to suit the restrictions of a lifestyle.

Did the same for all our horse choices too. So many folks fail to see this with both dogs and horses hence the rescue centres being full of their rejects.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Tue 15 Apr 14 at 23:11
 First cut - Zero
Ah right - all animals in rescue centres are rejects, Seem to recall you want them all put down.

next time get a dog that fits in a bag - that will be far less trouble for you.

First cut - Bromptonaut
>> Ah right - all animals in rescue centres are rejects, Seem to recall you want
>> them all put down.

Not all but more than enough to prove the point. What's the NCDL/DT car sticker say? Something about a dog is not just for Christmas?

>>
>> next time get a dog that fits in a bag - that will be far
>> less trouble for you.

FFS let it drop. We've brought out breed traits to do all sorts of things. Some fetch and retrieve some don't. Some go mad in the garden and some don't. Putting your 'dog whisperer' skills to more positive use how might Humph and others persuade their dogs not to tear up the lawn.

And short of strychnine how do I stop the one in next road having a non stop yapping contest with its neighbour.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 15 Apr 14 at 23:34
 First cut - Zero
>
>> FFS let it drop.

ok

>> Putting your 'dog whisperer' skills to more positive use how might Humph and others persuade
>> their dogs not to tear up the lawn.

Accepting that Fendalnder is right, we'll use his knowledge

1/ humph and others bought the wrong dog and it should be put down 2/ humph and others are a bad owners.

There - happy now?

I shall say no more on the subject.
 First cut - Fenlander
Oh don't sign off by associating my name with negativity towards Runfer's dog ownership. It seems he has a laid back philosophical approach to his bald lawn and likes his dog... so he obviously made the right choice for him.... or if not absolutely the right choice is accepting it with good humour.

First cut - Fenlander
>>>next time get a dog that fits in a bag - that will be far less trouble for you.

How unpleasant...

As you can see we are not part of that loop.... because we know animals... meet their needs... care for them at whatever cost... and in the case of dogs/cats to the very end.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Tue 15 Apr 14 at 23:39
 First cut - Zero
>> >>>next time get a dog that fits in a bag - that will be far
>> less trouble for you.
>>
>>
>> How unpleasant...

I meant as in a tiny toy dog that one can carry around with one

>> meet their needs...

Meet you needs.
 First cut - Dog
>>Any and every dog should be keen to play with a ball

Our 14 year young R/Ridgeback has never been interested in playing ball, he just looks at it as if to say what the fok do you expect me to do with that.

I took him on a route march that even 20 year old squaddies would struggle to do but, he kept up with me fairly well really, apart from the panting and rear leg dragging.

I've been doing this 3 times a week since the sun has returned and today I noticed how well defined and muscular his hind quarters are, like mine, so, although his hips are beginning to show their age, my thinking is that the exercise will strengthen the muscles, ligaments, and tendons and thereby help to maintain his mobility.
 First cut - Zero
>> >>Any and every dog should be keen to play with a ball
>>
>> Our 14 year young R/Ridgeback has never been interested in playing ball, he just looks
>> at it as if to say what the fok do you expect me to do
>> with that.

All that means is you never made it exciting enough.

>> I've been doing this 3 times a week since the sun has returned and today
>> I noticed how well defined and muscular his hind quarters are, like mine, so, although
>> his hips are beginning to show their age, my thinking is that the exercise will
>> strengthen the muscles, ligaments, and tendons and thereby help to maintain his mobility.

Weight (lack of) and appropriate exercise keep them going.
 First cut - Dog
>>Weight (lack of)

He's okay in that area - one meal a day, and no titbits.
 First cut - R.P.
Same here....muscular definition on the Springer has to be seen to be believed. The Cocker (now heading towards 8 years) has still got a waspish waist. Always was an incredible and consummate athlete...
 First cut - No FM2R
>>All that means is you never made it exciting enough.

It can't be that simple. I had two dogs, full brothers, who lived their whole life within 10ft of each other.

One loved swimming in anything, if neccessary he would sit in a puddle if he couldn't find anything else. He entirely ignored balls as being entirely beneath him. But would hunt and catch stuff.

The other would avoid water as much as he could, yet adored playing ball and he'd play with me, the girls, or anyone else who was up for it. and likewise use to hunt a lot, although he wasn't very good at it so catch didn't come into it much.

In my sample of two, it seems that only 50% of dogs like chasing a ball.
 First cut - Zero

>> In my sample of two, it seems that only 50% of dogs like chasing a
>> ball.

well clearly they were not the same, but play with balls can be made exciting enough for any dog.
 First cut - PeterS
>> Weeded and feeded 3 weeks ago.
>> Cut twice.
>>
>> Now spiking the moss.
>>
>> I hate spiking lawns..
>>

Moss is green. Lawns should be green. And its nice and soft to walk on! What's the problem ;-)
 First cut - Ted

No lawn here...I flagged over many years back after having nothing but bitches who ruined it.
I just sweep the paving and spray all the joints with weedkiller a couple of times a year.

We have a two brick high capped wall around our stone lawn holding the flower beds back. I made a mental note to weed the area where we have some perennials soon. Having been a away for a long weekend, the weeds had trebled in size. I spent a pleasant enough morning today on a large foam rubber mat, Classic FM on the wireless, removing the growth. Filled 2 large Gorilla tubs.......green bin day tomorrow.

Nice to hear the kids next door playing out in the Sun at last. Mrs NDN is a childminder and the horde of 6 or 7 kids were playing on the trampoline just next to where I was at work. One of them threw a sunhat over and popped a head up asking for it back. I pretended I couldn't find it then popped my head up wearing it. Didn't keep it as it was a bit small for me !

Not a cloud in the sky all day...took the missus to her cousin's 60th birthday tea in the City of Thelwall...where she lives.
 First cut - Roger.
>>the horde of 6 or 7 kids were playing on the trampoline just next to where I was at work.>>

Definition of hell, could only be only made worse by the yapping of dogs,

Harumph.
Mr Grumpy.
As prompted by Crankcase...

Had to do mine yesterday, it was getting too clumpy. Argos petrol mower took about 3 cycles of 5-or-6-pulls-to-start/revs-up-and-down-for-a-bit/stop before getting into its stride, but seemed fine after that (using remnants of last year's petrol).

Garden almost looked presentable yesterday afternoon, with the grass cut and lots of blossom on the trees against a nice blue sky.
First cut yesterday for our grass.
I cannot describe it a a lawn these days, as the over-winter depredations of the pesky worms building mini-mountains, have left it bumpy and muddy despite laborious and back-breaking work sweeping the sward with an old fashioned besom pre-cut.
The only real treatment is a proper deep layer top dressing & re-seeding, such as that offered by Green Thumb and Lawnmaster. I cannot afford that, let alone a complete re-turf job.
Trouble is, next year the wriggly little bludgers will repeat their destructive habits.
These days "proper" worm killer is outlawed and impossible to buy.
(Our soil is quite light, drains well and does not really need worm aeration!)
Last edited by: Roger. on Mon 23 Mar 15 at 11:30
 First Cut of the Season :S - Zero
>> As prompted by Crankcase...
>>
>> Had to do mine yesterday, it was getting too clumpy. Argos petrol mower took about
>> 3 cycles of 5-or-6-pulls-to-start/revs-up-and-down-for-a-bit/stop before getting into its stride, but seemed fine after that (using
>> remnants of last year's petrol).

1st cut of the year? mine had its third yesterday.

>> 1st cut of the year? mine had its third yesterday.
>>

You live in the balmy [spelling ;-)] sarf-east though, innit?
 First Cut of the Season :S - Stuartli
My lawn still has to have the last cut of 2014...:-(
 First Cut of the Season :S - helicopter
Check out my post of 8th Feb in the Bargains thread .........you are all way behind.

The lawns at helicopter towers have been cut and scarified weeded and fed on several occasions since.

Enough moss removed to fill the garden wheelie bin twice over.

Next major task is to reduce the height of my laurel hedge by 4 ft or so ....currently about 12 ft but I am concerned about the possibility of disturbing the blackbirds who I believe are or may be nesting there.
>> 1st cut of the year? mine had its third yesterday.

First was nearly a month ago although to be fair it's been over long all winter as I missed the window in October when it was dry enough to do. Third due any day now - not least so I've an evens chance of finding the hole or the whirligig washing line thingy.
 First Cut of the Season :S - Runfer D'Hills
Did my first cut yesterday. Petrol strimmer took a bit of starting. Mind you, the petrol must be 5 years old so maybe it objected to that. Went eventually after I'd cracked thre ribs and given myself a hernia.
 First Cut of the Season :S - Dave_
I moved house in the last week of February. I gave the lawn at the rented place a trim a few days before I left. One of the neighbours was outside doing his first, within an hour a "For Sale" sign had appeared in his garden. Tis the season..

I've mowed the lawn at my new house twice already, fortunately it's much flatter and more even than any I've had before. I'm looking forward to putting my own stamp on this one :)
 First Cut of the Season :S - Haywain
"I moved house in the last week of February."

Do I remember you saying that you were in Coalville, Dave? Are you still there, or have you escaped its very weak gravitational pull?
 First Cut of the Season :S - R.P.
I did the back garden last Friday - it was still damp but the newly serviced John Deere did a good job. Green Thumb did their magic a few weeks ago. It looks OK from the bedroom windows. At least you can see the dog pooh now !
 First Cut of the Season :S - sherlock47
-At least you can see the dog pooh now !

The very reason that I used to cut the kerbside verge outside my previous house. Nothing worse than visitors with mucky shoes.

hiss boo sucks to the spam filter.

it's a swear filter, not a spam filter
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 24 Mar 15 at 10:11
 First Cut of the Season :S - The Melting Snowman
Around this time of year my missus moves the lawnmower progressively nearer the garage door, which I interpret as some kind of message to cut the grass. If I do nothing for a week or so, the petrol can even gets placed near it, full of fresh petrol. Anyway I cut it on Tuesday, the mower started second pull, as I always run it dry before storing it away. Never had any problems with Briggs and Stratton engines. Honda good too. The mower struggled a bit on some of the thicker grass, this newish mower of ours has some sort of speed governor on it, to satisfy the tree huggers no doubt. I must see if I can disable it sometime. More revs are needed for the longer grass. With the grass now short I have noticed that the cat doesn't leave its calling card on display now either. Over the winter there were turds everywhere.
I still haven't cut my grass yet. I may even get away with another week or so by the look of it.
No rain see, and no sign of it according to the wev forecast. If I never had to cut the grass again,
it wouldn't be the-end-of-the-world :)
 First Cut of the Season :S - VxFan
>> I still haven't cut my grass yet.

Mine's had 2 (last Monday, and Saturday) so far. And it looks like it will need its 3rd one this weekend. Could do with some wet weather though so I can put down the moss killer and then seed over the bare patches. I know I could do it with a hose and sprinkler, but it's not the same.
"If I never had to cut the grass again, it wouldn't be the-end-of-the-world."

Actually It probably would be.
 First Cut of the Season :S - Crankcase
Not cut yet and it's looking really bad. But the triple coincidence of me being at home to do it, the weather being ok, and there being daylight for an hour hasn't yet happened this year.

>>Actually It probably would be.

:-D
 First Cut of the Season :S - helicopter
Just finished my fifth cut of the year so far and also gave my neighbours front lawn and verge a cut and strim as he has just come out of hospital....

I am still debating whether to chop back my laurel hedge......or wait until after the nesting season.

The birch trees also need pruning back and the leylandii hedges could do with a trim as well, the fine weather this last week has seen bare branches suddenly take on that sheen of green from new leaves .

First Cut of the Season :S - Dutchie
Fifth cut tomorrow. I did put weed and feed on the grass.There are some patches overall lawn looks okay.

Got writ of conifers no more leylandi not my favourite tree.Laurel hedge I would wait a bit longer like you mention nesting season.I'm putting some shrubs in got to watch our soil heavy clay not the best.Planting any stuff is often trial and error.
Hear ye, hear ye, hear ye!

Dog has cut his grass :) Mower (Honda) started on 2nd pull after not being touched for 5 months.

Wouldn't have to cut my grass so often if it all grew at the same rate. It's very clumpy, so although only 2 weeks since last cut it already looks a mess:
i969.photobucket.com/albums/ae173/focushj/20150417_190310_zpsfgvjkypx.jpg
 First Cut of the Season :S - Fullchat
You been peeing on the lawn then? :)
Ah - thanks, I wondered what caused it :)

Really needs a complete re-seed/turf but not top priority.
>>Ah - thanks, I wondered what caused it

I agree with DCI Fullchat but, if it wasn't the Focus family, then it could well be a neighb.

I suggest you set up PIR security lights, a CCTV system and, um, a motion detector, or just cut the gaddam grass.

:}
Latest Forum Posts