Non-motoring > Server slowdown Miscellaneous
Thread Author: car4play Replies: 6

Server slowdown - car4play
Just a quick note to say apologies for the dropped connections and slowdown earlier.

One of our ecommerce clients sent out 60,000 emails telling people to buy a football tee shirt for charity. So we got a rather large surge in traffic even if they got a few hundred orders in a few minutes. We would have preferred them to have staged the email in smaller batches, but maybe now they have seen effect of so many in such a short time they will do differently next time.
 Server slowdown - car4play
.. this time we ran out of disk for the replication files. When did the other well-known site we were able to gear up to the traffic levels required. This is a bit of a spike over a few hours and so the replication files that would normally automatically purge down after a day or so have to be cleared every few hours. We don't have the disk allocated for traffic levels like this. We can get more, but this other site is only a short-term venture.
 Server slowdown - Tooslow
Blimey, that's a blast from the past. For me anyway! The most common db problem was backups failing. Backup team seemed a bit casual about this until ultimately we'd get an alert about db space filling up. You could guarantee it would be with log files. We'd frantically ship them off somewhere to avert an outage and (cough) politey nudge the backup team. It never had any long term effect. :-(

But hey, I don't care now! SEP. :-)

JH
 Server slowdown - Zero
your backup affected the DB? was the backupo not staged out anywhere?
Z. Oracle. The log files were cleared down after being backed up, usually multiple times for belt & braces safety. The log file space was then available for re-use. Oracle is just a bunch of os files so was generally backed up with an os backup utility along with the rest of the backup (though occasional enlightened customers would allow us to use Rman). So if the backup failed, log files were not cleared, the space fills up and ultimately our "running out of space" monitor would trigger.

The guys were not happy at being pulled out of bed for someone elses failure. I could tell some horror stories but I'd rather they kept funding my pension :-)

JH
 Server slowdown - Zero
AH well thats the trouble when you take an OS designed by a bunch of geeks for use as a toy computer and try to make it into a server operating system.
's true, but there were a variety of underlying OS's including the dreaded Windows, generally abhorred by the team for a big boys db, and Unix, almost all flavours on almost all hardware, IBM, Sun, HP.

Still, what do I care. I'm having a take it easy day after nearly killing myself yesterday with volunteer work. I've got aches in bits I didn't know I had. 30+ years of driving a keyboard doesn't prepare you for this :-)

JH
Latest Forum Posts