Non-motoring > RIP Fifi Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 103

RIP Fifi - Zero
Well I made it to Shildon, but never made it to Shap. Got the fatal phone call at 09:30 this morning, Fifi had had some kind of stroke and was near enough paralysed. Left Shildon at 09:30 got home at 13:45, and sure enough there she was lying on her bed only able to look at me and wag her tail just a wee bit. Phoned the vet and got a appointment for the final solution for 14:20. Hand fed her two pork pies, carried her to the car, then into the vet and tickled her ears while the deed was done.

Heartbreaking. But she was active till the end, quality of life was fantastic. Fifi was never her real name of course.
 RIP Fifi - Mapmaker
I am very sorry to hear that. Good way to go, of which I am very happy to hear! Never any doubt in her life whether you were doing the right thing for her, not you.

You need a puppy...
Last edited by: Mapmaker on Fri 21 Feb 14 at 15:03
 RIP Fifi - neiltoo
Never thought you'd bring a tear to my eye.
Commiserations,

Neil
 RIP Fifi - Crankcase
Indeed, sorry to hear that old chap. My commiserations too.
 RIP Fifi - Robin O'Reliant
Very sad for you, Zero.

Being a dog family ourselves we well know the sadness when a much loved family member departs this world. Something we'll have to face again in the not too distant as the Welsh Springer is thirteen years old now and showing signs of being near the end.
 RIP Fifi - rtj70
Very sad. Luckily she didn't suffer by the sound of it and had a good life.
 RIP Fifi - Zero
>> I am very sorry to hear that. Good way to go, of which I am
>> very happy to hear! Never any doubt in her life whether you were doing the
>> right thing for her, not you.
>>
>> You need a puppy...

No I don't, but I have my eye on a very wilful and very naughty 2 year old Goldie bitch. I just need to convince the owner to rehome it my way.
 RIP Fifi - bathtub tom
Sympathies.

That happened to my last dog. Heartbreaking, as she was still bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, but paralysed.

Decided against another due to vets bills and freezing walks in Winter.
 RIP Fifi - Paul Robinson
Very sorry to read that Zero. You have to have lost a much loved dog to understand....
 RIP Fifi - BobbyG
Gutted for you Z, you gave me a lot of advice when we got our lab, and have continued to do so, and I remember your comment that you will sob like a kid when this time came.....

We were having a conversation the other day with a neighbour, his brother has a lab a year younger than mine, has a twisted bowel and something else and his vet bill is so far at £2500 as the insurance company would only cover for one condition.

If you had asked me 3 years ago I would have said there would be no way that I would spend that sort of money on vet bills. Three years later, and shedloads of fun, enjoyment and companionship, I am not so certain the answer would now be the same. If it was up to the missus she would sell me and the kids if it raised enough money to save the dog!

I know at times like this it is always difficult to look on the positives but you should take some comfort from the fact that you were there at the end with her, it would have been a whole load worse if you had received that call when on a cruise ship?
 RIP Fifi - Zero
Bit quivery lipped in the vet, and of course I quickly developed a touch of man flu needing a pack of kleenex. Still got the man flu of course. It is however quite a weight off my mind, been struggling a a wee bit trying to balance the meds to keep her active and with a good quality of life, which to be fair we managed and been grappling mentally with the "when do I" choice when she suddenly ups and chooses the time herself in effect. It was relatively quick, painless, drama free event - quite dignified.

And I knew she would eat on her deathbed.
 RIP Fifi - Armel Coussine
>> And I knew she would eat on her deathbed.

She must have loved the pork pies. Were they a long-standing plan or an improvisation? Either way, very appropriate. Sorry Zero.
 RIP Fifi - Zero
pork pies never survive long enough in this house to be part of a plan.
 RIP Fifi - Manatee
>> pork pies never survive long enough in this house to be part of a plan.

Nor here. There's nothing like a growler.

Sympathy. It must hurt.
 RIP Fifi - RattleandSmoke
Very sorry to hear about your loss Zero, loosing a bet can be as bad as loosing a close relative because they become your best friend.
 RIP Fifi - Westpig
>> Very sorry to hear about your loss Zero, loosing a bet can be as bad
>> as loosing a close relative because they become your best friend.
>>

Chhrrriiiiissssstttt...he wasn't betting on it, was he?

..;-)
 RIP Fifi - R.P.
Horrible isn't it Zeddo....:-(
 RIP Fifi - Zero
>> >> Very sorry to hear about your loss Zero, loosing a bet can be as
>> bad
>> >> as loosing a close relative because they become your best friend.
>> >>
>>
>> Chhrrriiiiissssstttt...he wasn't betting on it, was he?

she wasnt a ruddy greyhound!
 RIP Fifi - Skip
Very sorry to hear your sad news Zero. I remember how I felt when I had to have my last dog put to sleep. I just about held it together in the vets and on the way home, but as soon as I walked trough the front door and saw his food bowls on the floor in the kitchen I bawled my eyes out for hours.
Last edited by: Skip on Fri 21 Feb 14 at 17:46
 RIP Fifi - BiggerBadderDave
My old man took a lot of beatings from his dad and both his parents mentally abused him. He escaped by joining the navy and it turned him into a hard SoaB. I've seen him fight in car parks, pubs, petrol stations and streets over the years. He never turned on me of course, he's a devoted dad but I've never seen the love, never seen any emotions, it was beaten out of his dad. He probably couldn't comprehend how a father should show the love of his kids, although it certainly was there. But we got our first and only dog, a bulldog, when I was about 13 and that was when I saw a man openly loving something. You could see the joy in his face when it jumped on him in the morning and when it greeted him from work. It once completely destroyed one of his brand new shoes. My dad just scolded it for 30 seconds then they started rolling around together on the floor again, playing tug-of-war with the remains. Of course, one day when he came home, my mam had to tell him that it had collapsed and died. Luckily I was living and working in London and didn't see what happened to him over the following few weeks, but it broke him in half. My mam had to rule out having another dog, she couldn't see him like that again.

I have enormous sympathy Zero, a man and his dog and all that. Now, hurry up and find a new puppy, without a four-legged friend to enjoy long walkies, I can't pester Nicole.
 RIP Fifi - R.P.
Nice one BBD>
 RIP Fifi - Pezzer
My deepest sympathies - 15 yo Springer at the vet as I type .............
 RIP Fifi - Fullchat
Commiserations Zeddo.
 RIP Fifi - PhilW
Sad news Z.
Brought to mind how my kids felt when our Lassie dog, Hovis ("Well, she's brown and well bred" said my son when he chose the name!) had to be put down. She had grown up with the kids, and was as much a part of the family.
P
 RIP Fifi - Clk Sec
Very sorry to hear that, Zero.
 RIP Fifi - Runfer D'Hills
Sorry Z.
 RIP Fifi - Bromptonaut
Cannot imagine having a dog myself, not even in semi retirement.

I have though got/had a certain affection for various pooches kept by friends/family going back to farm dogs on childhood hols, Mrs B's oldest friend's psychotic Dalmatian and 'therapy Spaniel' and Jaffa the barking mongrel at kid's childminder's place. Latter was soft/daft as a brush but Postie was terrified of him.

Can see how they're family; commiserations to Z.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Fri 21 Feb 14 at 19:55
 RIP Fifi - Haywain
Sorry to hear that, Z.
 RIP Fifi - Fullchat
A home without a dog is just a house.
 RIP Fifi - NortonES2
Sorry for your ordeal Zero. Been there, many years ago.
 RIP Fifi - Dave_
I've never been a dog person but I know many who are and understand the bond they have. You have my sympathies, Z.
 RIP Fifi - commerdriver
Sympathies Z, very hard trip to do
 RIP Fifi - Ted

Yeah...so sorry Zedric. I cried me heart out when I took our two Border terriers. Maybe they're up there now romping with Fifi. If there is a doggy heaven !

If I were a dog, my heaven would be...................

.........a street full of trees...and a belly full of pee !

HO
 RIP Fifi - WillDeBeest
Just read this, Z; condolences from me too. Assuming what you've shared with us is a small subset, you will have plenty of good memories, but that final decision is still mighty tough to make, and knowing it's the right one only helps so much. But pork pies - well played!
 RIP Fifi - Pat
I've only just seen this but I'm so sorry Z. I know you knew it had to come fairly soon, but it doesn't make it any easier for you, does it?

I remember the video some while back of her standing in some flooded water with a happy as a sandboy look on her face.

Pat
 RIP Fifi - Zero
yeah - that was here.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WFbZDyLeXM

The Thames flooded 14 months ago. The Thames has flooded twice in 14 months. Good job we are not experiencing climate change init!
 RIP Fifi - R.P.
When my much loved Cocker died in 08 - she was replaced with the current Working Cocker...odd thing grief/loss/hiraeth - but I resented him being there for a few weeks....soon got over that. He's been a great dog.
 RIP Fifi - Westpig
>> When my much loved Cocker died in 08 - she was replaced with the current
>> Working Cocker...

Where did you get your Cocker from? Anyone you could recommend?
 RIP Fifi - Dog
Some nice Miniature Schnauzer puppies in Bideford, she's sold 2 and has 4 left.

www.thekennelclub.org.uk/services/public/findapuppy/detail.aspx?con=4208562&lit=4798053

www.champdogs.co.uk/breeds/miniature-schnauzer
 RIP Fifi - MD
Bideford eh! Not too far from here Doggo.
 RIP Fifi - Dog
She's going in this week for a full knee replacement Martine, so is prepared to 'do a deal' if you know anyone who could be interested.
 RIP Fifi - sherlock47
Whilst I can sympathise with you for your suffering from the loss, I still find it hard to understand that this thread can evoke more sympathy from other people than a recent thread where somebody lost their father.

I have been a dog owner in the past, but would not possibly consider one in the future, although I do like certain dogs belonging to other people .
 RIP Fifi - Meldrew
Some people get on much better with a pet than a Father, trust me!
 RIP Fifi - zippy
Zero,

Just seen this post.

I have lost a few pets and understand the pain in the loss of a loved companion.

My sympathies are with you!

Z
 RIP Fifi - DP
Sincerest sympathies, Zero. It sounds like she had a good life though, right up to the very end.

Our collie-x-lab is 12 this year, and I've found myself wondering recently how many more years we have before we go through something similar ourselves.

I guess the pain needs to be weighed against the many years of pleasure and laughter they give us beforehand. Dogs are such incredible creatures.

RIP Fifi - commerdriver
Just watched the video Z, a fitting tribute.
Again, sincerest sympathies.
 RIP Fifi - Alanovich
Sympathies from me too Z. Will face similar in the next few years at most.

My first port of call thereafter will be the local rescue centre.
 RIP Fifi - MD
Sorry to hear the news Zeddo. Time may heal I hope. Just had 2 Pork Pies myself..burp..and now I'm wishing I hadn't! Our eldest Lab' is not too long for this world. She is 14 and a bit now and the Daughter's fave. I'll have the Vet come here. Take care.
 RIP Fifi - Zero
Awww, The vet sent a condolences card.

The bill will probably arrive tomorrow.

Thanks for all the kind words.
 RIP Fifi - CGNorwich
They gave you credit? Our vet wanted payment before I departed with our dead cat.
 RIP Fifi - bathtub tom
Vet's probably mourning the loss of their future fees.
 RIP Fifi - Zero
>> They gave you credit? Our vet wanted payment before I departed with our dead cat.

you took your dead cat home?
 RIP Fifi - CGNorwich
Buried it alongside its predecessor in the garden. Seemed appropriate.
 RIP Fifi - Kevin
>Thanks for all the kind words.

My sympathies are with Fifi.

Can't have been easy living with you for so many years.

I bet she always raised one eyebrow and sighed whenever you entered the room.

;-)
 RIP Fifi - Zero

>> I bet she always raised one eyebrow and sighed whenever you entered the room.

Aye, every time she saw my hand was bereft of food.
 RIP Fifi - Westpig
How are you going to explain away your flatulence now?
 RIP Fifi - MD
I have blamed EVERY Labrador for that. Not once has Management fallen for it.

Hope you have another hound in due course Zeddo. You seem like a proper Dog man.
 RIP Fifi - Zero
>> I have blamed EVERY Labrador for that. Not once has Management fallen for it.

management blamed me for the labrador farts.
 RIP Fifi - bathtub tom
BIL fed my springer sprouts shortly before we departed on a car journey home!
 RIP Fifi - Zero
Style!
 RIP Fifi - Ted

Pet crematorium sent us a card after the second dog had been dealt with. Told us she had been cremated with dignity.

Nice touch.......not that I was bothered..when they're gone..they're gone. Just disposal of the packaging, the memories and photos stay with you.

HO

RIP Fifi - No FM2R
Belated sympathy Zero. Its crap but all you can do for a dog is love it, look after it and make its time happy. And you achieved all of that
 RIP My old Friend - MD
My Black Labrador has gorn orf to Rainbow Bridge or wherever herself will tell the Grandson. 14 years and 4 months we've had her. She has been on Anti-inflammatorys for a few years now to aid her failing hips, but time just took over and the decision was made. All family consulted, the kindest thing to do we agreed. The vet came here and she is now at rest in the garden along side her old Mucker.

This morning when I put the other two hooligans out for their morning constitutional (at 05.00) all was well until the outside lights went out and there, square in the sky above her resting place sat Orion the hunter and Sirius the Dog Star. Done me no good at all. When I went in and showed the Guvnor she fair cracked.

Life moves on........MD
 RIP My old Friend - Zero
my deepest sympathies, I know exactly how you feel.
 RIP My old Friend - Skip
Sorry to hear that MD. All the best.

Andy
 RIP My old Friend - Pat
So sorry to hear that MD. There's no better friend than an animal friend.

Pat
 RIP My old Friend - legacylad
Sympathies
I also know exactly how you feel. Buster Jake is buried at my ex in laws, with a jam jar sometimes filled with flowers marking the spot.
 RIP My old Friend - Armel Coussine
>> Sympathies

Mine too, for what they are worth. I find humans more interesting on the whole, but pet animals can be very endearing and one gets fond of them. I won't dance on the cat's grave when it dies, although I won't miss having to shovel up its crime victims or their entrails.
 RIP Fifi - Long Live Fifi - Zero
Fifi is dead, Long live FiFi.

The new model FiFi has arrived at Shiro Zero. FiFi Mk2 is a young (22 months old) Golden retriever girl, really beautiful looking, very very intelligent (all the brain cells that FiFi mk1 didn't have) friendly, happy vibrant, naughty.

Has settled in really well, slept soundly at night in her bed on the first evening (rare for a dog that has come from a pack of three others) loves the garden, and has already made a den in the shrubbery from which to launch suprise attacks on anyone and anything, The resident robin is horrified and If that Sparrow Hawk comes back it will get a nasty shock.

We have one Issue. She wont get in the boot of the car to travel anywhere. (no jokes about my driving or the fact its a Lancer). A problem I am currently working on, primarily using positive operant based conditioning. Thats basically food bribery to you and me.

Fifi Mk2 and the family will be very happy together.

Life moves on.
 RIP Fifi - Long Live Fifi - MD
Well done that man. Good luck with her.
 RIP Fifi - Long Live Fifi - Bromptonaut
AS MD says. Keep us posted on her progress Z.
 RIP Fifi - Long Live Fifi - Pat
Pics please?

Pat
 RIP Fifi - Long Live Fifi - Zero
>> Pics please?
>>
>> Pat

I'll prepare a little montage
 RIP Fifi - Long Live Fifi - Pat
Thanks.

Pat
 RIP Katie - Pat
She came to us with her two other siblings from the RSPCA seven years ago. She lived behind the sofa for 6 weeks only coming out for food and a litter tray when we were in bed.

Gradually we gained her trust and as the only female, and so tiny and fluffy, she ruled the roost in a home with 3 other male cats all twice her size.

We knew this was coming at 20 years old, but she always remained scared of visitors, so yesterday we took the decision to have the vet come out to us before she suffered at all.

She was my soulmate, female, feisty and always fought her corner.

Pat
 RIP Katie - MD
Feel for you Pat. Still struggling with last week to be fair. Never got me this bad before. Take care.

Martin.
 RIP Katie - Skip
My condolences Pat. As a fellow animal lover I know how it feels to lose a pet. (I am trying to type this with my old black cat Jasper laying vertically up me doing his best to stop me).
All the best

Andy
Last edited by: Skip on Wed 10 Sep 14 at 07:16
 RIP Katie - Crankcase
I may appear to be a hard hearted curmudgeon when it comes to cats - but sympathies, Pat. I actually did have a cat as a child and it was a wrench when she came to her luckily timely end. And also condolences to MD of course. Sorry for you both.

RIP Katie - Zero
>
>> She was my soulmate, female, feisty and always fought her corner.

You only need to add "can't reverse" to that and she will be instantly reincarnated as a female lorry driver!

;)
 RIP Katie - Manatee
By heck he's on form this morning.

Sorry too, Pat.
 RIP Katie - Pat
He is, but it made me smile:)

Just what I needed after ringing the vet to pay the bill, all £260.11 of it.

Pat
 RIP Katie - Zero
Jesus Mary and Joseph! Thats 100 quid more than it cost me to kick FiFi over rainbow bridge!
 RIP Katie - Pat
Out of hours (7pm) visit by a nurse and vet, no treatment other than the injection.

I was a bit surprised but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Pat
 RIP Katie - rtj70
So sorry to hear your sad news. I know we'll have to face similar at some point - our cat is 19 years old soon.
 RIP Katie - Armel Coussine
>> no treatment other than the injection.

>> I was a bit surprised but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Quite a well-paid racket, vetting. Mind you they do have to do some fairly appalling things, although farmers themselves are good cattle midwives...

Most vets do like animals though. 'That's a handsome animal!' the vet exclaimed when he set eyes on my youngest daughter's very fine black tom, Sooty. Too adventurous for his own good and got run over in the end. (He remembered though that it was I who had taken him to be castrated when he was a kitten, and looked at me slightly askance ever after, although he had a genial and tolerant personality).

Sorry about your mog Pat. But they don't last as long as we do. I believe that for children especially, pet animals serve as a sort of bereavement training: a lesson in the deep down hard reality of life and that other thing. So when their grandparents and parents croak they are sort of a bit used to it.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Wed 10 Sep 14 at 15:37
 RIP Katie - MD
Pat, they're taking the 'P'.

It will be about £60.00 here plus v.a.t. Nurse, what's that all about?

Sorry to be more grumpy than usual, but that's an insult for sure.

Regards, MD
 RIP Katie - Pat
Did the vet come to you MD and Zero, or did you take the dog in to the surgery?

Pat
 RIP Katie - MD
Vet to us as always. So much 'nicer' and little or no stress for the animal either.
 RIP Katie - Zero
>> Did the vet come to you MD and Zero, or did you take the dog
>> in to the surgery?
>>
>> Pat

To the vet - I had to wait till the surgery waiting room was empty, then carry her from the car through the waiting room and into the surgery and lay her on the table.

Then leave with an empty collar and limp lead.

Still - the collar is full again and the lead is taught!
 RIP Katie - Pat
I should have a receipt in the post so I'll see if the bill is itemised.

It better be.

Pat
 RIP Katie - CGNorwich
I was charged £35 when our cat was put down earlier this year. That was at the surgery though and I did take the cat home and bury it myself.
 RIP Katie - VxFan
>> I had to wait till the surgery waiting room was empty, then carry her from the car through the waiting room and into the surgery and lay her on the table.

Meanwhile in hospitals the dead and injured are trollied around in front of everyone.

Why is it we're more sympathetic towards our animals than humans?
 RIP Katie - Crankcase
Well, remember the RSPCA was founded years before the NSPCC and you can see the priorities we have this country.
 RIP Katie - Pat
>>>
Why is it we're more sympathetic towards our animals than humans<<

Because animals are altogether nicer than humans.

The receipt has arrived itemised as follows

1 Visit Fee >5 miles £89.18
1 Emergency Fee Surgery - 10PM £61.52
1 Emergency Nurse Fee £53.01
1 Euthanasia Cat (Exc Cremation) £53.01

Total £260.11

The vet wasn't our regular vet because when I rang him at 4.30pm he was in surgery. He called back and explained one vet was on holiday and another off sick, but he would come at 6pm when surgery closed but needed reassuring she wasn't in pain.

She wasn't, she was lying peacefully but very shallow breathing.

He rang me back twice more before 5.30pm to say 1) he had a dog brought in which had been run over and would be delayed and checked her condition was unchanged.
2) He was still trying to stabalise the dog but another had been brought in as an emergency with an epileptic fit.
This meant he would be even later and I fully understood the two emergency dogs needed priority, however I suggested we try the 'other' vet in March. He agreed it may be best as he fully understood why we didn't want to scare Katie (he knew her).

The 'other' vet said they only had emergency cover from their Wisbech practice which is further away so that explains the mileage charge, I think, but they did get here for 7pm and for that I was grateful.

Our vet then rang back later that evening to check that we'd managed to get sorted out, and to apologise again for not being able to come.

Needless to stay we will be staying with him.

Another 15 minutes would have seen her dying naturally, I'm sure but she always was an awkward little so and so....like I said, a female much like me:)

Pat

RIP Katie - Duncan
>> Meanwhile in hospitals the dead and injured are trollied around in front of everyone.
>>
>> Why is it we're more sympathetic towards our animals than humans?
>>

Not so.

Tell me how many times you have seen a corpse trollyed past you?

If you are injured, would you want to wait until the A & E is empty before you were treated?
 RIP Katie - VxFan
>> Tell me how many times you have seen a corpse trollyed past you?

At least a couple of occasions at the JR2 Hospital in Oxford. One of which we were politely asked to exit the lift so they could wheel the bed in and take the body down to the morgue.

How else are they going to transport bodies to the morgue if someone snuffs it in one of the wards?
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 12 Sep 14 at 01:30
 RIP Katie - WillDeBeest
Jesus Mary and Joseph! Thats 100 quid more than it cost me to kick FiFi over rainbow bridge!

Isn't FiFi the new one?
 RIP Katie - Zero
>> Jesus Mary and Joseph! Thats 100 quid more than it cost me to kick FiFi
>> over rainbow bridge!

>>
>> Isn't FiFi the new one?

And the old one. Do keep up!
 RIP Katie - WillDeBeest
I quote:

RIP Katie - Pat
i100.photobucket.com/albums/m34/Veeeight/003-2.jpg

She's got her evil eye on you Z;)

Thanks all, you really have made today easier for us than it might have been.

Pat
 RIP Katie - Zero
>> I quote:
>>
>>

yes, and?

But hey, just for you, I will reveal her real name here

Its

Evie
 RIP Katie - legacylad
Isn't that what Adolf called his missus?
 RIP Katie - Zero
>> Isn't that what Adolf called his missus?

Is it? Thats an unexpected bonus. I knew his mut was called blondi
 RIP Katie - Dutchie
You've lost a good friend.
Latest Forum Posts