Non-motoring > Tripod recommendations please Miscellaneous
Thread Author: borasport Replies: 13

Tripod recommendations please - borasport
for a lightweight tripod for use with a digital compact camera for normal use but could well be used quite a bit for low-level plant & flower photography

thanks
 Tripod recommendations please - Manatee
Look at Manfrotto. They are not stupidly expensive but decent quality.

I have a www.manfrotto.co.uk/055-basic-tripod-black

This is sturdy enough to use with an SLR and not too heavy. Very stable, and goes high enough. Discontinued but widely available, there is an updated version.

and a www.manfrotto.co.uk/search?q=391rc2&t=products pan &tilt head - never got on with ball heads.

They do lots of different legs and heads.

If you want lighter/cheaper, look at www.manfrotto.co.uk/compact-photo-movie-kit-black

or www.manfrotto.co.uk/compact-photo-kit-black

Tripod recommendations please - Zero
I use a Hahnel 60 lite pro, because it has a fluid damped head for panning video shots, but they are generally very light very good tripods.

this one, the 40, is probably what you are after

www.amazon.co.uk/Hahnel-Triad-40-Professional-Aluminium/dp/B0046EDM1U
>>I use a Hahnel 60 lite pro

I like that Zeddo. Looks tall enough too.

You can't have too many tripods...
 Tripod recommendations please - Fenlander
Worth looking on Ebay for a used one as there are loads of good ones sold under a tenner... folks who sell them collection only often only get 99p for some well regarded makes.

For a compact digicam some of the things you'd want with a heavier SLR + long lens are not so important so your choice is massive.

Agree about ball heads being harder to use.
 Tripod recommendations please - WillDeBeest
Beestling Minor has the compact Manfrotto in the third of Manatee's links. The trigger-grip head is a little fiddly to switch from pan-only video mode to omnidirectional photo, but otherwise it's very easy to use and solid enough for his small Panasonic camera. I've borrowed it a couple of times to put under a heavier camera (although not one with a long lens) and it's coped well.

Not sure how low it goes - I doubt it has the reversible centre column I have on my much bigger Manfrotto - but I can find out if that would help.

For a compact digicam some of the things you'd want with a heavier SLR + long lens are not so important so your choice is massive.

...or not.
};---)
 Tripod recommendations please - borasport
manfrotto compact ordered yesterday - should arrive in time to be wrapped for her birthday, meanwhile my Cullman corrodes slowly in the garage - too bulky for her to use ;-)
>>manfrotto compact ordered yesterday

Ha ha.

I ordered a Hahnel Triad 60 like Zero's - came this morning. I didn't desperately need another tripod if I'm honest, but I am doing my annual local panto photos tonight and I can use it, and I having been looking for a lighter one to carry about.

I'm very impressed. I'll use it later with my LX3 and a rather top heavy external flash but I'm pretty sure it will support that OK.

A point to note is that it is better designed for those little camcorders than a compact camera, because the rectangular camera plate goes fore and aft when you have the vertical tilt pivot in the right plane. The pyramidal shape on the base of the plate looks square, as if it should also fit at 90 degrees, but it rattles about that way round - probably explaining why some of the reviewers complain that it doesn't fit tightly.

The plastic parts are a bit rough here and there, but it isn't too heavy and it's remarkably sturdy. Some reviewers also complained that the 'fluid' action was a bit rough, mine seems OK. It's about on a par for panning with the Manfrotto head I have which has PTFE pads, and cost more than the Hahnel tripod complete.
 Tripod recommendations please - Mapmaker
Does the hahnel tilt far enough to be able to take perpendicular photographs of the carpet - with a compact camera? Thanks
 Tripod recommendations please - Zero
no
 Tripod recommendations please - Mapmaker
Any recommendations of one that will?
The Hahnel will, actually, whether you have the camera lengthways on athwartships on the plate - in other words, both the pan/tilt lever and the portrait position will get the plate vertical.

The column is reversible too, if that helps.
 Tripod recommendations please - legacylad
Whilst de cluttering my life last Sunday I looked under a bed and found a Manfrotto model 055,115. Bought for me as a present a few years ago. Boxed & unused. Any ideas of its value and where best to sell it, always assuming it is worth the effort.
Thank you
>> Whilst de cluttering my life last Sunday I looked under a bed and found a
>> Manfrotto model 055,115. Bought for me as a present a few years ago. Boxed &
>> unused. Any ideas of its value and where best to sell it, always assuming it
>> is worth the effort.
>> Thank you

Ebay them? You should be able to get £50+postage, maybe more. Have a look. The 115 head if it's the one I think it is is fairly basic but has full movement, and the legs are presumably a full size set of decent quality. There are variants of the 055 - I have an 055XDB, probably later than yours and itself obsolete, that was over £100 at clearance price without head.

No reason they shouldn't make £50 + postage, or more - especially described as boxed and unused.
Latest Forum Posts