Non-motoring > So that's alright... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: MD Replies: 17

So that's alright... - MD
...then

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-26190817
 So that's alright... - Bromptonaut
So he's a nutter, a white Brit who's 'converted' Islam. Then goes out on streets of Walthamstow vigilante fashion sounding off at alcohol establishments and courting couples for non Sharia compliant behaviour.

Five year ASBO restraining him from such activity on pain of a trip to the slammer.

Looks about right to me.
According to report in the Wail he'd been jailed as well. ASBO presumably restrains him after release.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sat 15 Feb 14 at 10:59
 So that's alright... - Haywain
He needs locking up ………….. for his own safety.
 So that's alright... - zippy
Good. Sharia Law is backward and bigoted imho.
 So that's alright... - CGNorwich
Interesting to consider whether there is any difference between religious fanaticism and mental illness. Is there any difference between your unseen and all knowing god telling you to do something and any other voices in your head telling you the same thing?
>>religious fanaticism

Perhaps, but I reckon that its a power trip to have control over others.

Just look at the "sick" judiciary in Iran who execute poets and girls and who often carry out the execution themselves.
 So that's alright... - CGNorwich
I would say they are mentally ill too. Psychopaths.
 So that's alright... - Armel Coussine
The real Muslims in this country, the genuine believers, don't want to draw attention to themselves and generally adopt a modest, inoffensive demeanour. This means they are not resented by sane British people, but unfortunately they adopt the same modest demeanour towards mischief-makers (both British converts and those born into Islam) who are left free to cause trouble, and can argue when pulled up that they as 'Muslims' are being victimised by the majority here. Usually this claim is false and piffling.

These noisy, pretentious toerags could be silenced fairly rapidly by the true Muslims if only their Imams would show the right sort of leadership. It's not hard to see though that anyone taking the lead will be singled out and harassed or harmed by the bad guys. Not easy at all.

Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Sat 15 Feb 14 at 13:46
 So that's alright... - NortonES2
It's also the complicating factor that Islam is not just divided (as are other religions) but that the extremes are more extreme than most other belief systems. At least currently - I well recall the fate of the Cathars and Huguenots and R.C. people in times past, when out of favour or in the way of expansion.
>>These noisy, pretentious toerags

Are the ones likely to get in to power because the silent majority do nothing. See Iran for an example.

>> Are the ones likely to get in to power because the silent majority do nothing. See Iran for an example.

I don't think Iran is a good example. The Iranian mullahs are pretty shrewd, as was the original Ayatollah. Attempts at going too far with Sharia have been resisted by the population. The ghastly Ahmedinajad has been superseded.

Thing is, even a strutting vulgarian of an Islamist who 'gets into power' soon learns that ideological rubbish serves only the most limited purposes to a government, and that other forms of performance are demanded by the population.

Islamist mischief-makers are a nuisance in western countries though, because they give people a false impression of what Islam actually is and make gratuitous social trouble. The problem with them is that they are the responsibility of the real Muslim believers, who are themselves intimidated. 'Who will bell the cat?' It will take courage and determination.
>>I don't think Iran is a good example.

Perhaps not, but it is an Islamic country where the clerics sit in judgement in courts and execute children. I don't think normal people would want to see children executed?
>> Perhaps not, but it is an Islamic country where the clerics sit in judgement in
>> courts and execute children. I don't think normal people would want to see children executed?

True but there are plenty other nations, secular or based on non Islamic religion, where human rights are abused on similar scales. We're all only a few steps from apes and a few more from more crude pack animals.
>> the clerics sit in judgement in courts and execute children.

Perhaps that has happened, but very seldom I think. People don't like it at all and often protest violently against that sort of thing. Nor, one can't help feeling, would the better sort of mullah be much in favour.

There's been a bit of that in the Gulf states, Iraq, Pakistan and Afghanistan. Nearly always in ghastly primitive backwaters and to general disapproval from other areas.
Thinking about this, one can't deny that Islamism has made a bit of a stain on Islam, that it is a modern phenomenon invented from the ground up by people with a political outlook, and that Iran was largely instrumental in spreading it as an ideology.

But countries with Muslim majorities are after all entitled to mess around with political variants of their religion in their own territory.

Where Islamism is a nuisance that needs to be put down is in the West. What we need here is for the proper Muslims to keep their own house firmly in order, with help from the authorities if necessary.

In the Muslim world it isn't our primary business. It will mutate or die away of its own accord sooner or later.
 So that's alright... - Haywain
"Is there any difference between your unseen and all knowing god telling you to do something and any other voices in your head telling you the same thing?"

There is a school of thought interested in the possibility of a genetic link to predisposition to religious nonsense. I sense that this could well be the case.
 So that's alright... - devonite
>>"Is there any difference between your unseen and all knowing god telling you to do something<<

Thats not God .... Tis the wife!!
Latest Forum Posts