Non-motoring > There was a good one too Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Armel Coussine Replies: 10

There was a good one too - Armel Coussine
The guilty molester of young girls Stuart Hall has been getting on my nerves. I hardly know who he is or what he looks like and I don't want to know what he's supposed to have done.

He shares both names though with a Jamaican intellectual whose obituary some here may have seen earlier this week. A brisk read of the obit might convey the image of a clacking left-wing ideologue, but that would be very misleading.

The proper Stuart Hall was an utterly charming and delightful man of broad and deep culture and great tolerance. Rather unusually this is plain to see from his obituary photo.

I was going to put this post in the Yewtree thread, but that seemed so inappropriate that I didn't.

There was a good one too - Focusless
'Godfather of multiculturalism'
www.theguardian.com/education/2014/feb/10/godfather-multiculturalism-stuart-hall-dies

EDIT: sorry AC, might be misleading but perhaps still worth a read
Last edited by: Focusless on Fri 14 Feb 14 at 13:28
No problem. But the other comics used a better, if older, photo.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Fri 14 Feb 14 at 13:34
Just looked on the Telegraph website to see if it had the photo used in the obit on Monday. It was there, in colour, along with the very early student-militant pic in black and white which is the first one that comes up. The Grauniad one with the two walking sticks can't be more than a year or so old.

I wish I hadn't looked though, because I was tempted to check a few of the readers' comments. That was extremely depressing. So many people, three out of four it seems, are so unpleasant and so, so stupid and ignorant. And these are readers of a broadsheet comic on line if not in the flesh: 'Gimme gimme gimme', 'Left intellectual is a contradiction in terms', 'multiculturalism under which we are all suffering... which has ruined the country' etc., etc.

Almost as awful as some of the people here.
 There was a good one too - Dog
=> Almost as awful as some of the people here.

Watch it moosh or I'll ave ya.
You know how it is Perro when people caricature someone you happen to know isn't like that. The cat would have charmed your socks off and you'd have loved it, even admitted he had a point here and there. I'd put money on it.
 There was a good one too - Dog
I have of course seen 'the cat' on the TV Sire = a diamond geezer, if I may be so bold in my assumption.
>> a diamond geezer, if I may be so bold

Just so. You would have to be bold to say much different.
 There was a good one too - Roger.
I am bold.
He may have been a nice bloke, personally, but he was an influential left wing multi-culturist, and these days that shibboleth has been exposed as not necessarily a good thing for this country.
Eeeeh... SH was very left wing of course, red not pink, but in its beginnings multiculturalism wasn't the annoying thing you take it for, more a tentative step in the right direction. Later it was vulgarized by politicians and others who sought personal advantage by citing it.

It was a bit unfair and misleading, that Guardian obit headline. I'd have gone for coiner of the term Thatcherism. But daily press deadlines are relentless and young hacks these days don't know who the people are. It isn't necessarily their fault.

He'd have charmed you too Rastaman. And persuaded you a bit. No civilized British person was immune really.

There was a good one too - Manatee
Multiculturalism, like democracy, is possibly the worst option except for all the others.

My parents and grandparents lived and died within 5 or 10 miles of where they were born.

The world has changed and will never be what it was. That's not good or bad, it just is.

Maybe the cyclist haters are right for the wrong reason. The invention of the bicycle was when the rot set in.

I'd probably have liked Stuart Hall, had I met him.
Latest Forum Posts