Non-motoring > iPhone usage Miscellaneous
Thread Author: .... Replies: 24

iPhone usage - ....
Following on from the iPod discussion and as a reasonably well travelled bunch I thought I'd ask here:
I'm off on a business trip next week with my iPhone. Will I be able to use it onboard as an iPod in Airplane mode ?
I've looked at various airline websites and contacted the one I am likely to fly with but so far, no information.

Has anyone on here used an iPhone onboard with all signals switched off ?
 iPhone usage - rtj70
I've used my iPod touch without problems (wifi turned off) but the announcements on most planes say you cannot use any equipment that is wifi capable without mention it being okay if the wifi is off. But this would rule out iPod touch, phones, laptops, Amazon Kindle, .... the list goes on.
 iPhone usage - R.P.
I used my Kindle and iPOD Touchon my recent trip to Florida - VirginAtlantic staff pointed out that any electronic equipment should be in off-line or Aircraft mode !
 iPhone usage - Skoda
Can you imagine the shredding you would get if you worked in aerospace and you made a system for production use, that was susciptable to interference / other issues when in proximity of something as common as mobile phone or WiFi signals?
 iPhone usage - Tooslow
The plane you're in may well have been made before the mobile phone came along.

JH
 iPhone usage - Zero
your iphone has an airplane mode. It shuts off phone and bluetooth rf, leaving it in ipod only mode. Used it on my last flight (ryan air) and we didnt crash.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 15 Jun 10 at 17:36
 iPhone usage - commerdriver
How much did they charge you for using it on their aeroplane?
 iPhone usage - Zero
Ryanair are going to change the name of their charging structure, with two tiers.

Robbery or Ransom.

There was a last minute surcharge, called "safe landing"
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 15 Jun 10 at 19:43
 iPhone usage - rtj70
Even with no wifi or phone devices on a plane... the signals are there from the ground. And planes with onboard wifi and even hotspots for mobiles.

One problem with mobiles is they rely on cells... and they are confused by a mobile on a plane. Soon we will have the use of the banned mobiles on planes if not already via a plane based mobile antenna. So those planes are okay with the mobile signals then.
 iPhone usage - Runfer D'Hills
My BlackBerry "goes to sleep" every night automatically at 23.00 and "wakes up" again at 07.00. This is clever. What is not clever is that even if you switch it off manually it still wakes up at 07.00. It did that on a night flight last week while in my pocket in an overhead locker. Of course that never occured to me until I was disembarking and found the phone already on. It must have been on for a good while too.

Strangely, it neither caused the plane to crash or outwardly upset the crew unless they were being remarkably stoic about it all.

Of course it might just be that mobile phones don't actually affect aircraft but that perpetuating the myth is preferable to hundreds of twonks chatting on the darn things throughout flights....
Last edited by: Humph D'bout on Tue 15 Jun 10 at 19:51
 iPhone usage - Zero
Dont get me wrong, Its a blessing that mobile use is not allowed on planes, one of the only places that you dont get someone elses horrid ring tone or banal phone conversation.

They shouldnt feed us this "its unsafe" guff tho. Its a load of cobblers. They should just say "Its barred for the sake of peace and quiet"
 iPhone usage - The Nut
Seem to remember reading somewhere that a phone passing through so many different cells at such a speed causes problems for the network.
 iPhone usage - Zero
It has problems passing through the cells between heathrow and the states.
 iPhone usage - Netsur
>> They shouldnt feed us this "its unsafe" guff tho. Its a load of cobblers. They
>> should just say "Its barred for the sake of peace and quiet"
>>

I agree. I use to acquire cell sites for T-Mobile years ago and we used to site them on the roof of hospitals - the same hospitals that banned mobile phone use. I took strong issue with the Chief Executive after one incident when I refused to stop using my phone in a hospital I knew had a mast on the roof. It was something like "would you like me to ask Mercury to remove the mast from the roof - as there is a very good alternative next door". The ban on phones stopped the next day.
 iPhone usage - Iffy
...They shouldnt feed us this "its unsafe" guff tho. Its a load of cobblers...

I believe the same applies to filling stations.

Unless you want to say any distraction while handling flammable liquid is a safety risk.
 iPhone usage - R.P.
If you drive westbound A55 in Wales there is a Shell Petrol station near Penmaenmawr - I occasionally stop there to fuel as it's always amongst the cheapest in the area. The site has a mobile phone mast within a few meters of the pumps....how does that work in Health and Safety terms if it's such a risk ?
 iPhone usage - Skoda
I too used to work for T-Mob and by the sounds of things, in a dept not a million miles away from Espada!

We had shared masts inside petrol station price signs. Erikson kit.

EDIT: but the health and safety aspect in a petrol station isn't the radio side of things it's the battery & spark potential. How many phones get dropped and batteries fly off, or even run over
Last edited by: CraigP on Wed 16 Jun 10 at 19:33
 iPhone usage - ....
I'm not one for public chatting, I thought it would be nice to have a choice of my own music during the 9 hour flight to break up viewing of those German classics das boot and dinner for one. :)
 iPhone usage - WillDeBeest
You should have no problems, Gmac. A couple of years ago, the first iPhone I saw was in the hands of a chap I shared a row with on a KLM A330. In between talking amiably and amusingly to me he used it to listen to music and to make notes on something he was reading. The cabin crew saw what he was doing and raised no objection.

Since then, I've not used my own iPhone in flight but I have flown with it, and I've put it in Airplane mode rather than switching it off, which has caused no problem at all.
 iPhone usage - ....
I have discovered a problem which Apple will not respond to.
1. You must have a computer to enable your phone. Not such a biggie these days.
2. You think you can select your language however, your language for creating an Apple ID is actually dictated by where your bank account is.
 iPhone usage - Zero
you dont need a bank account to set up your iphone, or Itunes.
 iPhone usage - ....
With mine, I can't download anything without an Apple ID and to get an Apple ID I need to provide bank details.
 iPhone usage - Zero
www.copytrans.net/copytransmanager.php
 iPhone usage - Fursty Ferret
Having been in the embarrassing situation where my phone started ringing on final approach, I can confirm that the plane doesn't fall out of the sky. Most airlines are happy if it's in a flight safe mode.
 iPhone usage - ....
After the two legs I can confirm Emirates actually encourage use of your own phone once the seatbelt signs have been switched off. They do recommend you switch the phone to vibrate and silent to avoid annoying others.

Lufthansa are still thinking about replying to my email.
Latest Forum Posts