Non-motoring > Disconnecting gas cooker - can I legally do this? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: RattleandSmoke Replies: 21

Disconnecting gas cooker - can I legally do this? - RattleandSmoke
We have a two year old free standing gas cooker, it will need to be removed when the flooring is put down. It is a bayonet fitting. I will not be touching any of the pipe work, and the cooker will go back in the same place it is now. We had a gasman fit the connection when we got the new cooker.

Am I right in thinking this connection is designed so that consumers can disconnect it?

Argh done it again!! Sorry wrong section.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Wed 5 Feb 14 at 22:12
 Disconnecting gas cooker - can I legally do this? - Zero
you can disconnect and reconnect the bayonet fitting yourself.
Is what I have been reading too, a lot of people on DIY type of forums say you cannot touch gas etc, but they seem to not have a clue how the bayonet fitting on a gas cooker works. As I understand it is either connected or not connected, there is no inbetween where the gas can leak because when it is disconnected a valve in the fitting closes.

Disconnecting gas cooker - can I legally do this? - Fenlander
As Zero says... but worth soap testing the live end just to be sure the auto valve seals. If any person disconnects at a gas cooker bayonet by way of an associated trade (such as a floor tiler) he/she should only do so if they deem themselves competent to carry out a soap test.
Thanks I will do that, I am hoping to disconnect on the day the floor person arrives and connect it back, if left over night I will turn the gas off at the mains just in case the valve some how fails.

Only just ripped out the old sink and unit so still along way from doing the flooring but just want to have everything in place.

Disconnecting gas cooker - can I legally do this? - R.P.
We need to see a photo of the finished kitchen once you've done it Rats...
 Disconnecting gas cooker - can I legally do this? - Dulwich Estate
As Zero says..."you can disconnect and reconnect the bayonet fitting yourself".

If you can be considered competent then you can do all gas fitting yourself for yourself, i.e. not doing it for others or for payment.

Disconnecting gas cooker - can I legally do this? - henry k
>> As Zero says..."you can disconnect and reconnect the bayonet fitting yourself".
>>
>> If you can be considered competent then you can do all gas fitting yourself for
>> yourself, i.e. not doing it for others or for payment.
>>
IIRC after reconnecting, it is better to purge the pipes on the cooker prior to lighting the rings/ oven .
 Disconnecting gas cooker - can I legally do this? - Armel Coussine
As they say Sheikha. Bayonet fittings are easy and intended for unskilled use.

But they get gummed up and need to be operated with vigour, banged back and forth a bit to loosen them up and restore an ordinary seal.

Rely on your nose and ears. Any hissing or persistent smell of gas however slight needs to be identified fast. Find the gas main tap before you start of course.

But there's no need to succumb to vertigo and not dare touch anything. That's for idiots who don't have rational brains or operating senses.

Don't blow yourself up for heaven's sake.
The entire fitting is only two years old so hopefully there won't be too many problems. I know where the gas tank is, the isolation valve is just above that.
 Disconnecting gas cooker - can I legally do this? - VxFan
What everyone else has said above.

But even if it wasn't and you feel entirely competent - What the eye doesn't see the heart doesn't grieve over.
 Disconnecting gas cooker - can I legally do this? - MD
And I always add some PTFE tape to the thread. Make sure that you have plenty of soap (Fairy liquid stuff) in the mix. I tend to use at least 30%. Use a bathroom spray type doofer if available.
He is simply uncoupling the bayonet fitting flexi, there won't be any threads involved.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 6 Feb 14 at 07:43
 Disconnecting gas cooker - can I legally do this? - MD
Didn't read properly. Thinking other end!
 Disconnecting gas cooker - can I legally do this? - Mapmaker
>> And I always add some PTFE tape to the thread.

IIRC it's absolutely illegal to use anything other than what comes with your copper-and-brass fittings. The PTFE or other rubbish might fail when the brass-and-copper never will.
 Disconnecting gas cooker - can I legally do this? - Old Navy
>> What everyone else has said above.
>>
>> But even if it wasn't and you feel entirely competent - What the eye doesn't
>> see the heart doesn't grieve over.
>>

Who is the judge of competent?

tinyurl.com/ntsoam4
Its Clacton, they probably bypassed the meter....
 Disconnecting gas cooker - can I legally do this? - sherlock47
But it at least disguised the poor plastering!
 Disconnecting gas cooker - can I legally do this? - Slidingpillar
IIRC after reconnecting, it is better to purge the pipes on the cooker prior to lighting the rings/ oven
Agreed, very simple process, just light a ring and burn the gas for a couple on minutes with a handy ignition source as it will blow out, flare etc before settling down.
Last edited by: Slidingpillar on Thu 6 Feb 14 at 09:01
 Disconnecting gas cooker - can I legally do this? - Dave_
I disconnected my gas cooker when I moved house - it had been connected for over 6 years. And did the same last week with the cooker in Dad's house, although the item is a good 15 years old I have a feeling it had been temporarily removed during a kitchen refurb 18 months back.

Both connections no more complicated to operate than a compressor airline or Hozelock fitting. Well within your capabilities Rats.
 Disconnecting gas cooker - can I legally do this? - zookeeper
if you can change a lightbulb then this task should be a cake walk, you dont even have height to consider in the risk assessment
 Disconnecting gas cooker - can I legally do this? - nice but dim
As soon as I saw the thread title, even before seeing the OP name I knew it would be a Rattle thread!
Latest Forum Posts