Non-motoring > your best films Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 180

your best films - Zero
Just watched an astonishingly good print of Zulu on film 4. Clearly its been cleaned or redone or something with rarely seen scenes added. It was a visual delight.

So whats your top five films?

to start

1/ The Shawshank Redemption
2/ Zulu
3/ The Train
4/ Pulp Fiction
5/ The Girl with a Dragon Tattoo
 your best films - rtj70
I'd put the Shawshank Redemption at the top too... and it did poorly in the cinema but it's rated highly by all who have seen it.

Next as 'one' film would be the Lord of the Rings Trilogy I think... then I'm not sure.
 your best films - bathtub tom
West side story.
 your best films - Tooslow
Hmmm,

The Big Sleep
Casablanca
Blazing Saddles
Local Hero
A night at the opera

Now how do I squeeze Manhattan in?

JH
 your best films - Bigtee
Rambo first blood part two.

Rocky 3

Pearl harbour.

Behind enemy lines.

Shooter.

All action films not into westerns or soppy love films.
 your best films - PeteW
28 Days Later
Planet of the Apes (Original version)
Rocky 4 (Crap but the only time I've watched a film with 200 plus cinema go'ers pounding the seats and floor willing on Stallone..)
The Time Machine (Original version)

You can see my preference is for romantic comedy :->!
 your best films - Focusless
Off the top of my head, In no particular order:

Meet Joe Black
Brazil
Liar Liar
Big
Star Wars
 your best films - Clk Sec
Richard lll
Zulu
 your best films - BiggerBadderDave
Ghost
Dirty Dancing
Grease
Bridget Jones's Diary
Four Weddings and a Funeral
 your best films - Zero
you old romantic you.
 your best films - Dog
Loadsa films really ...

Papillon

Soylent Green

Logans Run

Apocalypso

Easy Rider

The Day The Earth Stood Still (in B&W)

Whistle Down The Wind (1961)

Last edited by: Dog on Mon 14 Jun 10 at 19:27
Jungle Book
 your best films - Manatee
Too hard to keep to five really.

The Maltese Falcon

Dr Strangelove

In the Heat of the Night

Twelve Angry Men

Das Boot

your best films - Runfer D'Hills
Blues Brothers
 your best films - smokie
Not a film watcher much but I enjoyed Scorsese's film of the Stones at the Beacon theatre - Shine A Light.

George of the Jungle was good too. :-)
The Commitments
 your best films - Armel Coussine
The very young always think the last watchable film they saw was the best they have ever seen. That's movies - they really get to you unless they are supremely naff.

I watch films all the time on late night TV. Some of them are surprisingly good even when they have people like Russell Crowe in them. Most are utter garbage, sometimes so awful that I get annoyed with myself for watching them.

However at my age, with movie enthusiasts, film academics and even film-makers in my social circle, I have seen thousands of films including many so-called classics. Even so the only one that springs to mind as absolutely wonderful and superior to almost everything is Les Enfants du Paradis, dir Marcel Carne in Paris during the war under Nazi occupation. My view is that it isn't really film, it's French literature, but herself disagrees.

Of course there are others too, literally dozens of them. For anyone interested in third world cinema I would recommend the Senegalese director Ousmane Sembene's film Guelwaar.

I love the Marx brothers, Jackie Chan and Woody Allen usually. And a host of others of course. On the whole don't much like recent movies from fashionable Hollywood directors unless they are extremely violent and evil. Fortunately lots are. Computerised special effects turn me right off unless, as sometimes, they are a bit amusing.

I know, I'm just an old fogey.
 your best films - Iffy
Of the films mentioned so far, few, if any, have much connection to motoring.

Are there any decent car-related films?

your best films - Fullchat
Chitty chitty bang bang? :-]

I'll get my coat.
 your best films - Bellboy
alfie
the original
its as true today as it was in 1966?
because if you aint got peace of mind you aint got nowt

smile for the dickie bird Diana Dors (23 October 1931 – 4 May 1984) what a brilliant underrated actress she was
>> Diana Dors (23 October 1931 – 4 May 1984) what a brilliant underrated actress she was

Yes. Intelligent too, unlike today's divas or many of them.

Her real surname was Fluck I believe. One of her husbands was a hood.

I saw her once in the lower-middle fifties, in an open Cadillac with some blokes, passing the gates of my school in Old Windsor and heading up the hill towards Englefield Green.
 your best films - Zero
she was at her best in an episode of the sweeney, where showed her comic skills, and an adam ant video where she played her diva skills to the upmost.

"They asked me to change my name. I suppose they were afraid that if my real name Diana Fluck was in lights and one of the lights blew... ”

According to Dors's autobiography, she was once asked and readily agreed to open a fête in her home town of Swindon, England. Prior to the festivities, Dors lunched with the local vicar, during which she informed him that her real name was Diana Fluck. The vicar became somewhat worried about his planned speech. After lunch, they arrived at the fête at the appointed time. The vicar, totally unnerved about mispronouncing "Fluck", introduced Diana with these immortal words:

“ Ladies and gentlemen, it is with great pleasure that I introduce to you our star guest. We all love her, especially as she is our local girl. I therefore feel it right to introduce her by her real name; Ladies and Gentlemen, please welcome the very lovely Miss Diana Clunt.
>> and an adam ant video where she played her diva skills to the upmost.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nFXCwPlCg0
appears at 1:15
 your best films - Dog
>>www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nFXCwPlCg0
appears at 1:15<<

Mine & the missus all time gr8est musicvids.
 your best films - rtj70
>> I saw her once in the lower-middle fifties, in an open Cadillac with some blokes, passing the
>> gates of my school in Old Windsor and heading up the hill towards Englefield Green.

Your old school didn't become Beaumont did it by any chance (now a hotel and once a training site for ICL as was).
>> didn't become Beaumont did it by any chance

What d'you mean, 'become'?

The Jesuits closed it down in the late sixties. It was too small to be economically viable, and didn't have the cachet of Stonyhurst. Damn fine buildings though and allegedly the best cricket flat in the country. It was certainly beautiful. Pity I couldn't stand cricket and rowed instead, without distinction I am happy to say.

I was only there in the sixth form. Went to all sorts of schools, eight in all.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Mon 14 Jun 10 at 20:48
 your best films - rtj70
I knew it originally as ICL Beaumont and have spend a lot of time there - years ago when my company (ICL at the time) owned it. I was there a couple of months ago though (now a hotel). Nice location and grounds.
>> Chitty chitty bang bang? :-]

I'm with you FC - great film with some lovely tunes. When I first saw it as a young child at the cinema, the Childcatcher had me cowering under the seat, as my mum is always reminding me :)
 your best films - Crankcase
The Childcatcher in Chitty was creepy, but the person who played the Toymaker really should have had you cowering. Extraordinary casting if you ask me. A strange man.

>> but the person who played the Toymaker really should
>> have had you cowering. Extraordinary casting if you ask me. A strange man.

Was it strange at the time though - wasn't he just known as a very popular TV comedian/entertainer? Thought his reputation started going downhill some time later (film made in 1968).

(Benny Hill btw)
Strange in the context of his previous box office attempts. TV was very much his forte, not cinema (or indeed stage). But yes, he was one of the BBC's serious hot properties for years, and had the unusual characteristic of being so un-utterly motivated by money that he rarely even cashed his cheques.

>> decent car-related films?

Two-lane Blacktop.

Bullitt.

The French Connection.

The Last Run.
 your best films - Zero
Only two good motoring films

Le Mans
and
Grand Prix.

of course there is C'était un Rendezvous but thats a bit short to be a full film.

that leaves you with gone in 60 seconds and the fast and the furious franchise.

your best films - Redviper
My top films based on how many times ive watched them

1 Star Wars (all of them)

2 Terminator (1&2)

3 Pulp Fiction

4 Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels

5 RocknRolla
>> Only two good motoring films

Le Mans
and
Grand Prix.

No need to exaggerate Zero. But I agree about the Lelouch. Decent piece - a film though, a put-up job and not what it purports to be - by a real enthusiast.

Fast and the furious... tchah!. I saw a thing called Tokyo Drifter, or some of it, late last night. Perhaps you would have thought that good.

Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Mon 14 Jun 10 at 20:14
 your best films - Stuu
Matchstick Men

Usual Suspects

Transporter
 your best films - crocks
The Italian Job. Original version of course,
 your best films - Cliff Pope
>> Of the films mentioned so far, few, if any, have much connection to motoring.
>>
>> Are there any decent car-related films?
>>
>>
>>

The Driver
Repo Man
 your best films - Badwolf
"Blues Brothers"
"The Commitments"

Humph, we have a similar taste in fill-ums, it would seem. I can't begin to guess how many times I have seen The Blues Brothers, but it never fails to amuse and to cheer me up if I'm feeling down. The music's corking too.

I'd add The Rocky Horror Picture Show and Groundhog Day to my list of all-time favourites. Rocky Horror is quite simply a one-off - I don't think we'll ever see another film quite like it :-)
 your best films - Zero
>> I'd add The Rocky Horror Picture Show ~ Rocky Horror is quite simply a one-off - I don't think we'll ever see
>> another film quite like it :-)

As a film RHPS is pretty tame, as a stage show, with the audience participation* its a complete hoot.

*you would look good as a sweet transvestite From Transexual, Transylvania
 your best films - Badwolf
>> *you would look good as a sweet transvestite From Transexual, Transylvania

Been there, done that, worn the suspenders, Zero... :-)
 your best films - CGNorwich
1 Godfather II
2 Lawrence of Arabia
3 The African Queen
4 Life of Brian
5 Citizen Kane
 your best films - Manatee
>> 4 Life of Brian

I'd seen this nearly 30 years earlier and dismissed it as rubbish. It came round a year or so ago at "Flicks in the Sticks" at the village hall. I only went to be sociable, but seeing it again I thought it was quite brilliant.
Glad you liked it. Opened to much hostility from the church and nearly wasn't completed due to inability to obtain funding . George Harrison stepped in, mortgaging his house to fund the film.
 your best films - BobbyG
The Mission
The Quiet Man
Schindlers List
Mississippi Burning
Local Hero
 your best films - Cpt. Flack
One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest

Stalag 17.... At Eazzz

Twelve Angry Men

Day the Earth Stood Still- the original

Terminator 2

Toy Story 1&2

Dances With Wolves

The Sting

The Elephant Man

Bullitt

North by Northwest

Few Good Men

Mask-( Eric Stolz )

Mutiny on the Bounty- Charles Laughton

White Heat-

Scum

It looks like we're struggling to agree what film to watch, maybe we should have a go at what pizza toppings to order?

JH
 your best films - Zero
Olives
capers
mushroom
anchovy
prosciutto
 your best films - Bellboy
5 cheeses for me please
bit of tomato
bits of bacon
few peppers
sorted
 your best films - Alastairw
And absolutely NO fish. No anchovies no tuna, nowt. Fish does not go with cheese.
I quite like a seafood pizza, but then I also like steamed haddock with a poached egg on top and brown bread. Don't mind a pickled herring either, or a kipper come to that. Have to drink tea with a kipper though. Coffee just doesn't work. Although generally I prefer coffee in most other circumstances, just not with kippers.
>> I quite like a seafood pizza

Ah mon Dieu...

Made the great mistake of eating one at lunchtime in Algiers once. Later, at a heavy-drinking dinner with local notables, excused myself, went to the lavatory for a while and came back pale and sweating. Not long after that the waiter came in and shouted angrily: 'Qui a degeule dans la toilette?' (Algerian waiters are far from suave and brook no nonsense from anyone, especially foreign imperialist stooges).

Fortunately the mayor of Bouira, the senior notable present, sprang to my defence, saying politely that he had often done it himself.
 your best films - Ted

Pizza should only be eaten in Florence.....al fresco.

My fillums.

The Quiet Man.......no. 1 all time.
Full Metal Jacket.
The Pianist.
The Blue Lamp
Duck Soup.
Any Marx Bros/Will Hay.

....and three for Lud....
La Gliore de mon Pere
Le chateau de ma Mere
Les Choriste.

Ted
 your best films - rtj70
>> Pizza should only be eaten in Florence.....al fresco.

Est Est Est in Rome is very good for Pizza. And I know two good take aways in Lucca.
 your best films - rtj70
>> Les Choriste.

The Choir is a very good film.
 your best films - Ted

Someone's ' borrowed ' my copy and ain't not never brought it back.....grrrrr

Ted
 your best films - wotspur
too many to choose but here goes - in no particular order and more than 5

The Wall - as a 16 yr old this film got me into Pink Floyd upon seeing it at Leicester square cinema

The Dead poets Society

The Omen (original) I delivered papers to the house featured around the time - and love the inaccuracies mentioned

Twelve angry men

Die Hard and Terminator (1 and 2)

for sheer fun - Tremors

The Hand that rocks the cradle and Carrie (great ending(

Rollercoster - my first X rated film as was that I got into when younger than 18 !!

and finally a film I can't remember the name of - if someone can help - brief storyline - 2 guys walking across a car park, and intervene when a women gets attacked. 1 of the men becomes infatuated and keeps helping to get her out of trouble - at the end he agrees to meet her on a beech, where she is to be killed by local black magicers, and can only survive if someone willingly takes her place, and he ends up being sacrificed .
It ends with the same scenario happening again
 your best films - Pat
I don't usually watch films unless they're real so

Long Way Round and Long Way Down do it for me but I will concede to enjoying Kelly's Hero's ( those apostrophe's are bugging me now, see what you've all done!)

I like Pizza even less, can someone tell me what is the point of the base?
Why not just put all the topping on a plate?

It's like Shepherds Pie, you won't get that in this house, you get mince and mash and if you want to put you're mash on top of you're mince I'll give you a fork to do it with!

Pat
Last edited by: pda on Tue 15 Jun 10 at 04:13
 your best films - Ted

Pat, I have an inkling of an inkling that you, being of somewhat broader mind, might enjoy Full Metal Jacket. The dialogue, particularly the brutal, cruel instructor, is crude but strangely funny.
The Vietnam scenes filmed at the Beckton gasworks are so moving ( apart from a few plastic palm trees dotted about ).

You get a taste of it by googling the film or looking on youtube.
have a good holiday...I beleive you'll be no stranger to the Looe !

Ted
 your best films - Pat
I'll have a google then Ted:)

No stranger, but Looe and the surrounding bits get better with age, a bit like me really!

Pat
 your best films - Dog
>> get better with age, a bit like me really <<

–noun
a small piece or quantity

:)
 your best films - Ted

bits get better with age, a bit like
>> me really!

Hmmmm.

Ted
 your best films - Pat
The word I have in mind to you Dog is the standard lorry driver reply.
It starts with b and ends in s. Dogs usually have them too.

Pat
Barks, then?
 your best films - Dog
>> It starts with b and ends in s. Dogs usually have them too. <<

'Spoken' like a Real Man.

Tehe.
 your best films - Ian (Cape Town)
>> Just watched an astonishingly good print of Zulu on film 4.

Cue Michael Caine voice:

Would you PLEASE stop frowwin them b***** assegais!

(yeah, I know he didn't say it, but he should have!)
 your best films - R.P.

Girl on a Motorbike

Un Prophète - saw this last week, makes Shawshank look like a Disney tale.

Blue Lamp (watched it about a dozen times)

Ice Cold in Alex (due a re-make ?)

Das Boot

The Cruel Sea.......

Sad git aren't I ?
 your best films - Iffy
Ice Cold in Alex (due a re-make ?)..Das Boot..The Cruel Sea....Sad git aren't I ?...

For you, Pugugly, ze war is clearly not yet over.

your best films - Zero
>> >> Just watched an astonishingly good print of Zulu on film 4.
>>
>> Cue Michael Caine voice:
>>
>> Would you PLEASE stop frowwin them b***** assegais!
>>
>> (yeah, I know he didn't say it, but he should have!)

Caine is superb in this film. His upper class portrayal of Bromhead is brilliant.

"I'll get my man to clean your kit"
"Its ok dont bother"
"Its no bother old boy, its not like I am offering to clean it myself - chin chin"
 your best films - L'escargot
Cool Hand Luke
In The Heat of The Night
Hombre
King Rat
The Magnificent Seven
 your best films - Dog
Re: Marx Bros affectionado's, there was an arf our prog on Radio 4 today ~
www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00sp198/The_Marx_Brothers_in_Britain/
 your best films - -
1. Leon
2. Terminator
3. Last of the Mohicans
4. The Godfather
5. Lawrence of Arabia

your best films - Old Sock
The Third Man
The Spy Who Came in From the Cold
A Matter of Life and Death
Get Carter
12 Angry Men
2001 - a Space Odyssey
Pulp Fiction
The Hunchback of Notre Dame (Laughton)
Se7en
The Incredible Shrinking Man
Night of the Demon
Casablanca
La Cabina
Great Expectations
Lawrence of Arabia
Monty Python & the Holy Grail
The Rocky Horror Picture Show
Battleship Potemkin
M
Paths of Glory
12 Days to Noon
Fail-Safe
Le notti di Cabiria
La Grande Illusion

Sorry, got a bit carried away..... :-)
 your best films - Number_Cruncher
I was about to type my list, and then I saw that old sock had included them all! (and a few I've never heard of, so perhaps I should check them out!)

However, I think The Third Man is almost in a league of its own - a brilliant film.
Number,
That's worrying! Would "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" be on your list by any chance (original version, of course)?

JH
 your best films - Zero
Hey PU, I bet some of these in my collection would interest you

the colditz story
the ship that died of shame
I was monty's double
Dunkirk
the yangtse incident
school for secrets
the wooden horse
the cruel sea
we dive at dawn
morning departure
cockleshell heros
ice cold in alex
in which we serve
the malta story
the battle of the river plate
above us the waves
sink the bismark
gift horse
went the day well
San Dometrio - London
the man who never was.
the enemy below
the dam busters.
You missed out "The Longest Day". Other than that I think you have the full set.

JH
 your best films - Zero
I do, and the battle of the bulge, the bridge at remargen, a bridge to far and the train,

School for secrets is not well known and rarely if ever seen on tv.
 your best films - -
These brilliant lists of war films i love too make me wonder...were fans of these brought up on Captain Hurricane?
 your best films - Zero
who?
 your best films - -
From Valiant comic when we were boys, became Tiger and Valiant...Captain Hurricane was an unPC commando always derring do, can't remember his weedy batmans name though.
 your best films - -
here you go.....www.internationalhero.co.uk/c/caphurr.htm
 your best films - Zero
Ah yes, I remember. The "for you tommy ze var ist over" school of writing.

His batman was called Maggot Malone
 your best films - R.P.
I led an ever so subversive trade in used Commando books at school...:-)

Not really a film but the brilliantly filmed, acted and generally produced Band of Brothers is one of my Desert Island Discs....the music alone is very emotive of the pointlessness of war.
Oh now I want to remember the name of a '60s american tv series about commando types . Starred Steve somebody. I was addicted to it as a child.
 your best films - R.P.
Clark's Commandos ? (or were they shoes ?)
No that's not it. ( anyway they were "Wayfinders", had a compass in the heel. )
 your best films - R.P.
I had a pair...
 your best films - Zero
and me

the compass soon got lost, didnt they also have a tread in the shape of animal tracks?
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 15 Jun 10 at 22:24
Yes they did indeed.
 your best films - R.P.
forums.doyouremember.co.uk/threads/696-Clarks-Commandos?p=131674

Humph there were a brand of Clarks COmmandos - see above although you were right on the compass thing !
Flippin' eck, even I had forgotten that PU. Take it you still have a bit of time on your hands ?.........

:-)
 your best films - R.P.
Yes ! It's great - at the moment ?!?
 your best films - Zero
>> Yes ! It's great - at the moment ?!?

At the moment?1?

dont feel guilty about it. All the carp about "oh you need to work to stay alive" is just that - Carp. Relaxing is great, but more, is the ability to do the things you want, when you want, with no presssure.
 your best films - R.P.
I am, but I have to keep the pretence up - you never know who happens to read this stuff (SWMBO etc) met an ex-colleague in Tesco today - very pasty face.....;-)
Ah Shuddup you pair ! 03.30 alarm call this morning. 165 mile drive into central London for an 8 O'clock meeting. 165 chuffing miles back again. Still sitting here fielding chuffing emails.........chuff it........

:-(
 your best films - Iffy
...for an 8 O'clock meeting...

Was the breakfast any good?

Breakfast ? That was a piece of toast in the car at 04.30 and a swig from the Thermos.....

:-(
 your best films - R.P.
A tartan Thermos ?
 your best films - Iffy
...A tartan Thermos ?...

With a bit of rust around the seams?

And a yellowing plastic cup?

>> tartan Thermos ?...

>> With a bit of rust around the seams?

>> And a yellowing plastic cup?

... exuding a heady fume of cask-strength single malt?

We know what you wild-eyed Caledonian types are like at breakfast time.

I have had a glass of Unicum for breakfast once. Hungarian digestif I think.
Last edited by: Humph D'bout on Wed 16 Jun 10 at 20:15
I don't want to sound vulgar Humph, but that sounds like a diseased waste product of the Sorbonne under occupation by students in 1968... don't ask...

:o}
A drop of Gammel Dansk can put a shine on your day too if taken before a warm croissant and a mug of Brazilian roast.

>> of the Sorbonne under occupation by students in 1968... don't ask...

Tasted vaguely of liquorice and was quite black in colour as I recall. Little green bottle. I was in Budapest at the time.
Stainless steel hectually.

Can't be doing with overt naff national symbols......

:-)
 your best films - Iffy
...Stainless steel hectually...

They are bit neater than the old-fashioned mild steel and plastic ones.

Important consideration when you haven't got much space in the cabin.

Agreed, best suited to the sportier, sleeker, sexier models in a given category.
 your best films - R.P.
Always comes back to that Humph....
 your best films - rtj70
Band of Brothers was indeed brilliant. I would not consider it a film but it merits inclusion really.

Pacific on Sky was looking interesting but I didn't have Sky Movies when I was in temp accommodation... worth a look anyone? Probably is for me.
 your best films - -
>> Pacific on Sky was looking interesting but I didn't have Sky Movies when I was
>> in temp accommodation... worth a look anyone?

We watched them all, worth watching but i have reservations.

I suppose we are used to WW11 films made in 50s 60s and 70s mainly, i'm unsettled by the graphic and blood y violence that modern filming and cinematic production gives....though thats a personal thing, maybe i'm sqeamish and others may feel that there's more true portrayal of the real horror.

Not really a film it was more of an epic but we bought them and recently watched them again and thoroughly enjoyed 'The Winds of War' and 'War and Remembrance', not everyone's cup of tea and i'm a big fan of Robert Mitchum anyway.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Tue 15 Jun 10 at 22:37
 your best films - rtj70
Sounds like this might be made with similar cinematic style to Band of Brothers then. I have just pulled down a copy of episode one to see if I like it or not. Again music of the opening sequence important to set the scene.... but HD is discussed elsewhere.

EDIT: These are all reminders of how we all benefit from the sacrifice of others (including our close relatives before and now). D-Day would have been different if those 500 American paratroopers had not gone for plan B but I digress.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 15 Jun 10 at 22:42
Surprised you war film aficianados haven't mentioned "All Quiet on the Western Front" , surely a contender for the best war film ever made. The novel is brilliant too.

Most disappointing war film I think was "Catch 22". I guess at the end of the day Heller's novel was basically unfilmable. One of my favourite books though.
 your best films - Zero
>> Surprised you war film aficianados haven't mentioned "All Quiet on the Western Front" , surely
>> a contender for the best war film ever made. The novel is brilliant too.

Does not rate with me. I did forget to mention "cross of iron"
 your best films - R.P.
CG,

AQOTWF fluttered briefly into my mind when I was selecting my five - maybe in my top ten.....American films in this genre rarely succeed for me, I enjoyed the book.....and some of his other but Catch 22 was his high water mark.
 your best films - Old Sock

>> However, I think The Third Man is almost in a league of its own -
>> a brilliant film.

Quite so, N_C - a great cast, great screenplay, stunning cinematography. Simply brilliant, more than sixty years later.

Films are, of course, a deeply personal matter of taste - there's room for Un Chien Andalou to exist cheek-by-jowl with Ace Ventura - Pet Detective in someone's 'best of' list :-)
 your best films - DP
In no particular order:

The Shawshank Redemption - agree with all the superlatives above. Great story and flawless cast!
The Terminator - saw this again recently for the first time in ages. So dark and atmospheric. Sequel was good too.
Grosse Pointe Blank - A contract killer with numerous psychological "issues" attends his 10 year high school reunion. Great black comedy.
The Cannonball Run - Yes, yes it's pure cheese, but can you be a petrolhead and NOT love this film?
Schindler's List - Beautiful and moving. Should be on the national curriculum, IMO.
Avatar - whatever you think of the plot shortcomings, as a technical achievement it is just incredible. One of the most visually stunning films I have ever seen.

your best films - ....
In no particular order

The Shawshank Redemption - got it as a freebie from Stella Artois in the 90's.

Stigmata

Syriana

Quite enjoyed the Bourne franchise

Layer Cake

Many more but there are five I can think of off the top of my head.
 your best films - Dog
Reading through this lot has reminded me of many other films I would watch (and have) again & again,

Pink Floyd ~ The Wall.

2001 A Space Odyssey (spell checker is working)

The Wicker Man.

The Devils (Oliver Reed)

I also rather enjoyed Ryan's Daughter (not literally you understand)
but I'm sure she (Sarah Miles) is a yummy mummy.
 your best films - Dog
And ... there's more ~

Straw Dogs with Dustin Hoffman & Susan George, now - if I'd watched that film b4 coming to live in Cornwall, I'd NEVER have come here in a million beer's.

Clockwork Orange ~ I must get a DVD of that on ebay = Great film (IMO)
I'm not a war film freak although of course there are a lot of good ones. I particularly dislike caper, action or gangster movies that have a lot of machine gun fire in them. And I despise naff car chases with speeded-up sequences, tyre squeal dubbed in at random, etc.
 your best films - maltrap
The Green Mile
One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest
It,s A Mad,Mad, Mad, Mad, World.
The Dish
Meet Me in St Louis
Gold Diggers of 1933
A Mighty Wind
Monsters Inc
 your best films - Ted

Hey ! Cranky.......another Goldigger of '33 fan here. Got it on tape and most of the music is downloadable from YouTube.
Joan Blondell, Ginger Rogers, Dick Powell and the delightful Ruby Keeler.

Never seen a bad Busby Berkeley fillum !

I love MMISLouis as well.

Ted
Ah, Ruby Keeler! I'm now trying to recall who she was renamed as in The Jolson Story, when they portrayed his wife...I'll have to Google. Ruby was supposed to be the best tap dancer of the time I think.

I'm not sure Busby didn't pull some clunkers too though - Small Town Girl, anyone? Although the surreality of musicians in the floor was wondrous to behold.

And I'm not a fan of Esther Williams so can't be doing with all that messing about with swimming pools, but having said that, Take Me Out to The Ballgame is excellent, and anyway who could fail to fall for 42nd Street?

They really don't make 'em like that any more, but that's probably just as well.
 your best films - Zero
barely a mention of a western. No "gunfight at the OK corral" with its Frankie Lane sound track, fans? What about The Magnificent Seven?
L'escargot mentioned the Magnificent Seven, Zero, so there *is* a season for thankfulness.

your best films - Roger.
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned "Deep Throat"!
Best western must surely be High Noon with Gary Cooper
 your best films - Ted
>> Ah, Ruby Keeler!

Ruby was married to Jolson until '39.
Great hoofer, as you say Cranky but she really shouldn't have been allowed to sing !
Had a good long life

www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=2510

Remember the older girl in the film ?
Aline McMahon......big in the actors union. Lived 'til over 100.
Find them all on Find A Grave .com !

Ted
 your best films - Fullchat
The Bourne series.
A Few Good Men.
Platoon.
The Green Mile
ET
 your best films - Roger.
Notting Hill
The American President
Dave
(I'm really an old softy!)
Last edited by: landsker on Thu 17 Jun 10 at 07:48
 your best films - Dog
Ere!!! did anyone mention the James Bond films? The real ones, like,
Dr. Know ... From Rush hour with Love, .. Goldthumb ... You only live once ---> Great films IMO.
Last edited by: Dog on Fri 18 Jun 10 at 12:12
For those who nominated "Zulu"

www.amazon.co.uk/Zulu-Blu-ray-Michael-Caine/dp/B001CTBGNS/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1276863726&sr=1-20

"It’s a sad fact that many older films are shovelled onto the Blu-ray format, without a great deal of work put into improving their presentation. That’s an accusation that absolutely can’t be levelled at the outstanding transfer that Zulu has benefited from. It’s truly a template for other studios to follow, and a stunning high-definition upgrade."

Go on, spoil yourself. No one else will!

JH
 your best films - Zero
well if its anything like the recent print that Film 4 has just shown its *gorgeous*

It will be the first BD when the new sony BluRay arrives next month*

*which will mark the death of VHS in the zero household, with the old VHS/DVD machine relegated to the Zero Techno graveyard in the loft space. VHS RIP 1981 -2010.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 18 Jun 10 at 13:54
Which Sony is it Mr Z? I'm on the cusp of a purchase but have moved into choice stasis so am not really sure which to get.

A pointer might be interesting at the least.

your best films - Zero
Like you, I am on the cusp, but I am seriously pondering the Sony BDPS360
 your best films - Bagpuss
Alien
Aliens
Seven
Apocalypse Now
Don't Look Now
Sixth Sense
Solaris (the original 1970 version from Tarkowski)

Nominations as well for:
Suspiria
Prince of Darkness
Saw (mainly due to the plot twist)

I'm not really into romantic comedies.
Good choice Bagpuss - original Solaris. Wondrous!

That motorway sequence is so blinking stultifyingly dull I just love it, and the film is SO understatedly creepy too. Excellent film. Made me go watch a lot more Tarkowski and there's some really great stuff there, images and scenes that just stick with you permanently.

Remake of Solaris was ok, but not a patch on the original. Thought the book was dreary though.

>> That motorway sequence is so blinking stultifyingly dull I just love it, and the film
>> is SO understatedly creepy too. Excellent film. Made me go watch a lot more Tarkowski
>> and there's some really great stuff there, images and scenes that just stick with you
>> permanently.

I actually went to see the full length version of Solaris at an indy cinema a few years back in Russian with German subtitles. The full version is well over 3 hours long and the motorway sequence something like 25 minutes. Hard work indeed. Tarkowski did some interesting stuff, The Sacrifice being his best work, after Solaris.

Worth avoiding is Stalker which is real cliched Russian cinema. Made in black and white, incredibly long, no plot, dodgy camera angles and nothing to distract from dialogue basically consisting of people discussing existentialism. Reminded me of that Heineken advert in the 80s spoofing Eastern European cinema, the Blue Sock or something.
I have the full Solaris although with English subtitles and yes, it is a challenge. Stalker, though we liked very much. All that chucking the hanky about was a bit weird though!

Not got to Mirror yet but quite fancy it.
>> I have the full Solaris although with English subtitles and yes, it is a challenge.
>> Stalker, though we liked very much. All that chucking the hanky about was a bit
>> weird though!

Interesting fact about Stalker. The entire original film print was accidentally destroyed during the processing. So Tarkowski filmed the whole thing again. I can't fault his perseverance but for me it was the cinematic equivalent of watching paint dry.

There are actually some very good films churned out by the Russian film studios these days but for some reason they get translated (or at least subtitled) into German but not English.
 your best films - Zero
>> I'm not really into romantic comedies.

Clearly!
Sony BDPS360 looks good, but the 70 looks a bit better for not much more.

However, neither are any use to me as they don't have audio sockets that will let me plug it into my amp, which doesn't have HDMI in. (I don't want to replace the amp at this point).

your best films - Zero
the 370 has digital coax and optical audio out and stereo analogue. Your amp just accept phonos? If so you will need to rethink your amp strategy anyway, its a bit limited.
The amp has a built in 7.1 decoder but it needs to be fed by the 89 million cables that requires. Mid market and up players have the socketry for that of course.

If I use optical (it supports both) then I won't get DTS-Master as that's not carried over optical (as I understand it, but am prepared to be wrong).

Lord.

C,
I've got a 370. It has L & R RCA outputs for your hi fi amp as well as optical.

While better pictures are probably possible I'm very pleased with what I've got. Better than DVD even to my eyeballs. Price keeps on dropping. Now £126 at Amazon.

JH
 your best films - DP
>> *which will mark the death of VHS in the zero household, with the old VHS/DVD
>> machine relegated to the Zero Techno graveyard in the loft space. VHS RIP 1981 -2010.

VHS in the DP household suffered a rather ignominious end. When our trusty old NICAM JVC VCR bit the dust sometime around 2002, we already noted that we hardly used it, but it somehow seemed wrong to be without a VCR. I duly went out and bought one of the cheapest NICAM VCRs I could find, which I installed where it literally sat on standby for the next two years. Apart from the initial test, I don't think it ever had a cassette put into it. At that point, I invested in an XBox games console, and needed the shelf space. That VCR was unplugged, having literally done nothing apart from consume electricity, and was put into the loft. Except, 2/3 of the way up the ladder, I dropped it. It didn't bounce! What didn't go in the bin went up the hoover! :-(

That will always be my last memory of this longstanding, convenient, but ultimately pretty rubbish format. I am a nostalgic so-and-so, but both audio and video in cassette format is something that belongs in the history books, IMHO.
 your best films - Ted

Agreed, DPee but I keep an old working VCR machine under the lounge telly. It's only there to play if we fancy it.
Trouble is, I've got lots of good films and some holiday stuff/documentarys/etc on tape and I don't fancy spending time sticking them all on DVD or replacing them with bought discs.

I'll perservere until it croaks !

Ted
 your best films - rtj70
I'd get them onto digital ASAP. Digital formats change but you have options. Leaving on VHS is not a good idea.
 your best films - Zero
its slowly fading as you speak.
 your best films - rtj70
Before we moved I realised there was a lot of old video films from Deborah's children. Just incase case of problems during the move I quickly converted to digital. I will do properly soon now we have the new house. Leaving on VHS is not a long term option.
 your best films - Ted

Indeed, guys...I've done some transferring and my machine does do fast dubbing so it's probably not too time - consuming.

I've just set up the DVD in the lounge to record an hour long programme stored on the V+ box as per Rob's instructions.
It seems to have worked......things turned red to show it was recording...the time left came up and has been ticking itself away.

I'll know in an hour and let you know.

Ted
 your best films - Zero
Last week I purchased a Sony BD-S370 Blue ray player, and a fine piece of kit it is too.

As a treat, I also purchased the copy of Zulu on blueray that everyone is raving about.

Holly smoke! Its jaw droppingly stunning! The quality is unbelievable, how they got this from a film print that is 46 years old is beyond me.

your best films - corax
Front rank, fire, rear rank, fire, RELOAD!, rear rank, fire, RELOAD!, rear rank, fire, RELOAD, rear rank, fire, RELOAD!

I've got too many to list but off the top of my head

1. Withnail and I
2. Brazil
3. Terminator 1
4. Bladerunner
5. The Thing

Hell Drivers was a film also starring Stanley Baker and a young Sean Connery, cheesy name for a film but brilliant.
 your best films - Ted

Questions and answers in the Mail today reminded me of a film I've got on the shelf here that needs re-watching.

Breaker Morant....the Boer war and a true story starring Edward Woodward.
Very well filmed and acted and well put together.

Ted
 your best films - Zero
>> Hell Drivers was a film also starring Stanley Baker and a young Sean Connery, cheesy
>> name for a film but brilliant.

Was on today on BBC2. Forgot how good the film is. Pitty about the speeded up driving footage, but it works as drama.
 your best films - corax
>> Was on today on BBC2. Forgot how good the film is. Pitty about the speeded
>> up driving footage, but it works as drama.

I had no idea Patrick Mcgoohan was the bad guy until I saw the cast. William Hartnell (Dr Who), and Syd James as well. The guy giving Stanley Baker the driving test is funny.
 your best films - Zero
Its available on Iplayer

www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0078dp9/Hell_Drivers/
 your best films - corax
>> Its available on Iplayer
>>
>> www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0078dp9/Hell_Drivers/

So it is. Thanks.
 your best films - rtj70
Downloaded that earlier for a rainy day. I have lots to watch. Planning for a wet winter - hope it isn't.
Very sorry landsker, but I must take issue with you on 'Notting Hill'.

Not only did the crews get in the way for several weeks in my then manor, complete with uniformed coppers to prevent one from driving or walking through the frame - I suppose they had slipped the Met Commissioner a few sovs and a bucket of vintage champagne to detail some useless ones for the task - but the film itself was staggeringly awful, starring a giant rabbit and a ghastly American woman with a collagen gob, taking place in a sort of Hollywood producer's idea of London. One expected a pearly king to appear at any moment with some cheeky cockney chat. Perhaps one did. I wouldn't have noticed.

Notting Hill is nothing like that, believe me. Just for a start there are still a lot of black people there - airbrushed out in the film.

The only good thing about the film was that they got the market to function on a Sunday for purposes of location filming. That may have been of financial benefit to the stallholders, one or two of whom actually appear in the film fleetingly. I hope very much that it cost the producers a fortune and they thought it was poor value. The artificial snow used in that scene stayed around for a couple of days.

Really rubbish movie. Glad you liked it though.

:o}

your best films - Marc
Five is far too little. Out of hundreds I managed to pick a top 21.

These are my top five in no particular order :

Ipcress File
Day of the Jackal
Killing Fields
Long Good Friday
King Rat

Interesting comments about Zulu. For years I thought it was superior to the 1979 Zulu Dawn but it is Dawn that I always watch again these days. Chelmsford (his lordship) has got a lot to answer for.

For Stanley Baker/Zulu fans - check out 'Robbery' which he both produced and starred in. Some classic motors and a great car chase scene.
Last edited by: Marc on Tue 3 Aug 10 at 20:55
 your best films - Brentus
Kelly's Hero's

Top Gun

The Godfather

Goodfella's
 your best films - Marc
"Kelly's Hero's"

woof woof
 your best films - Brentus
Don't hit me with them negative waves.
 My best films - Perky Penguin
Top Gun

The Duellists (Steven Spielberg's first film?)

Lawrence of Arabia

Dr Zhivago
 My best films - Bigtee
Sly stallone Rambo, First blood, Rocky, Die hard of course Bruce willis. & ww2 war movies old and new. most war films do it for me Top gun,
 My best films - Zero
The greatest disaster flick of all time is available on Iplayer for 6 days

beta.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0074rrk/The_Day_of_the_Triffids/
 My best films - Armel Coussine
>> The_Day_of_the_Triffids/

Oh God... papier-mache special effects in monochrome... do me a favour Zero...
 My best films - Zero
In gloriously faded and yellowing Eastman colour if you dont mind.
 My best films - Zero
And a great selection of Old cars circa 1960 on show.
Oh, sorry... I like that faded old colour too. Perhaps it's the awful fifties stiff-upper-lip style of the thing that's monochrome.

The book got on my nerves too on a second reading. No offence to you though...
 My best films - Fursty Ferret
Gran Torino
Moon
WALL-E
Up
 My best films - Bagpuss
>> Gran Torino

Saw that a few weeks back. Eastwood at his best, excellent film.
Saw a thing called Crank the other day. Utterly outrageous but strangely appealing here and there. Rather horrid too. Very weird piece of modern schlock, chapeau.
 My best films - Bagpuss
>> Saw a thing called Crank the other day. Utterly outrageous but strangely appealing here and
>> there. Rather horrid too. Very weird piece of modern schlock, chapeau.

Best seen with the volume turned right up. There is a Crank 2 by the way, not seen it yet though.
 My best films - CGNorwich
The best line in the film

"Fundamentally it's a simple problem. It's just a matter of finding a weed killer."
 My best films - corax
Watched Logans Run the other day. Not my best film, but I liked the idea of people living underground after something had gone badly wrong on the surface, and Michael York and Jenny Agutter trying to escape 'renewal'.

It's a bit like The Time Machine which is one of my favourites. Great from start to finish.
The Eloi and the Morlocks :-)
 My best films - Ted

Talking of ' underground ' ,I caught the end of a fillum called Descent......I think.
Half a dozen very attractive young women, students probably. All experienced cavers.
Go to explore a cave system somewhere like the Rockies or Canada.

They are stalked by a colony of man-eating, albino, blind humanoids.
The subsequent adventures roll out together with an interesting ending.

Not my best, but an interesting story.

Ted
 My best films - corax
I had to include 'The Driver` with Ryan O`Neal. The epitome of cool in this film.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nIiroTIEBw&feature=related

Also 'The Night Of The Hunter' with Robert Mitchum as a psychopathic preacher. It's truly scary. I think it was the only film directed by Charles Laughton.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFzTBPy7nl8&feature=related
Latest Forum Posts