Non-motoring > Ceiling fans with lights Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Cpt. Flack Replies: 12

Ceiling fans with lights - Cpt. Flack
In my last property I installed two ceiling light fans in the lounge diner which were a godsend in warm weather. The combined 6 x 60W bulbs were bright enough. A sixties built semi with relatively low ceilings.

I'm now in a Victorian semi with high ceilings. My problem is that I'd like to install a couple of ceiling fans in the lounge. But I've been through all the DIY warehouses and on some lighting websites trying to find lights that have bulbs more than 40-60W.

Most of these fans only have three lights at the most. And three 40-60W bulbs is not enough to light my room sufficiently.

Does anyone know why these fans have so little lighting in terms of numbers of bulbs or wattage? And if anyone knows where I can get ceiling fans with brighter lighting, please do tell.

I was tempted to put them in the bedrooms as well. Though a single 40W candle bulb would be like living like Charles Dickens. At least it would spare the blushes of SWMBO ;-)
Last edited by: Cpt. Flack on Mon 14 Jun 10 at 11:33
 Ceiling fans with lights - RattleandSmoke
It might be a safety law. Lighting circuits tend use thiner wire and a protected by a much thiner fuse. I can't remember the sums but when I worked it out for hour house when it was around 1300w per lighting circuit. With the motor and three 60w bulbs you could easily exceed 200w per fitting which could be a problem depending on how many you want to install.

You might find a good local electrical factors have more choice but do make sure you to the maths before you start replacing all those pendants.
 Ceiling fans with lights - Zero
3x60 watt? 180 watts? not enought to light your room?

what is it, the royal albert hall?
Thats a good point, we live in a fairly big 3 bed terrace built in 1906 and has very high ceilings. 100w's on the pedants are fine but I have fitted spot lights in certain rooms which need more light such as the kitchen.

Ceiling fans with lights - CGNorwich
100w's on the pedants are fine

No they're not - they wouldn't like the unnecessary apostrophe :-)
 Ceiling fans with lights - FotheringtonTomas
>> Most of these fans only have three lights at the most. And three 40-60W bulbs
>> is not enough to light my room sufficiently.

You "can't get" 100W bulbs for normal domestic use. So:

1) Use higher-output "low energy" lamps. You can get 30W "daylight" ones.
2) Put in some ordinary pendant lights as well.
 Ceiling fans with lights - henry k
>>
You "can't get" 100W bulbs for normal domestic use.
>>
You can at the two shops, at my local parade, that sell electricals.
Both also sell 10 packs.
 Ceiling fans with lights - Stuartli
My Victorian three-bedroomed semi has 11ft ceilings (some in the area have 14 ft ceilings!); the big living room has two light fittings, both housing 150w bulbs.

Believe you me you need the extra wattage, which I why I bought a stock of the bulbs a year or two back.

I also found these on-line, but haven't tried them yet:

tinyurl.com/39qkel7

I've also found the same bulbs advertised in a pack of two for only a pound or so more.
 Ceiling fans with lights - John H
>> My Victorian three-bedroomed semi has 11ft ceilings (some in the area have 14 ft ceilings!);
>> the big living room has two light fittings, both housing 150w bulbs.
>>

Now we know who is responsible for climate change. The energy wasted heating and lighting house is killing the planet, never mind the freebie loft insulation given to you by the taxpayers. :-)
>> tinyurl.com/39qkel7
>>
>> I've also found the same bulbs advertised in a pack of two for only a
>> pound or so more.

It would be nice to know where...
 Ceiling fans with lights - John H
>> I also found these on-line, but haven't tried them yet:
>>
>> tinyurl.com/39qkel7

cheaper here www.mygreenlighting.co.uk/replacement_bulbs/daylight_bulbs/324.html
but there is a shipping charge making the overall price still slightly cheaper, assuming you buy only one off.
Last edited by: John H on Mon 14 Jun 10 at 15:57
>> You "can't get" 100W bulbs for normal domestic use.
>> >>
>> You can at the two shops, at my local parade

That's why I put "can't get".
I must buy a stock of 150w light bulbs. On the landing there is really is no choice but to use 150w bulbs.

Latest Forum Posts