Non-motoring > Wasp Nest Miscellaneous
Thread Author: sherlock47 Replies: 10

Wasp Nest - sherlock47
Whilst it is commonly said that wasps do not return to an old nest, it would appear that the old queen remains in situ, hibernating. They then try to find a new site for the next season. If the old nest is in the loft, do they then try to build a new nest close by? ie in the loft again?

I have just discovered a 60cmx60cm x15cm nest behind the water tank. Removal looks awkward! Should I just keep it as a good layer of insulation?

Any good and safe advice please.

Wasp Nest - diddy1234
daughter queens never build a new nest in the old previous nest or within 30 feet of a nest.

Could the new queen build a new nest near by, unlikely but can happen.

normally the old nest is still letting off some sort of pheromone (I did read somewhere) and this repels other wasps.

I would suggest keeping the nest in place this year as it ensures no other nests crop up in your roof lining.
Then next winter get rid of it.

Wasp Nest - FocalPoint
I have had experience of finding two wasps' nests close to each other in a roof cavity, but I've no way of knowing how close in time they were made.

Looking at the issue from a wider perspective, I'm not at all sure why people automatically seem to want to exterminate wasps. Maybe the OP has a valid reason (entrance to the nest is too near a doorway or window), but wasps ignore people unless they are interfered with. The only problem is in late summer when wasps are desperate for food and interest themselves in what humans are eating.

They are to be welcomed by gardeners, as they are carnivorous and help to control pests.
 Wasp Nest - madf
When we (or rather I) added more insulation to our 5 lofts (the house has been added to) we found lots of wasp nests.

I just leave them.

The only time I destroy them is if they try to nest near (or in) my beehives. Last year a badger dug two out and did the job for me.

My advice: do nothing. In spring the queen will foray out and look for a new nest site.

If you do decide to do anything - in a roof void- you need FULL protective clothing - a veil plus gloves etc. Wasps can sting many times. in a roof void it can be dangerous.
Likely to be only the queen there.. but with mild winter I would not take the risk.
Last edited by: madf on Thu 30 Jan 14 at 14:49
 Wasp Nest - BiggerBadderDave
The x-father in law of my x-wife found a wasp nest in the attic back in the 90s. It was enormous, so huge in fact that it was spooky to see it. They had constructed their hive around the central wooden supporting pillar where it joined the roof. It certainly wouldn't fit in one of those old tin dust bins. Some guys (or a guy) removed it while the wasps had gone on holiday, but the F-I-L specifically wanted it very carefully removed not smashed up. The local primary school were delighted when he donated it to them, it was a fantastic cross-section of the hive.
 Wasp Nest - Cliff Pope
We usually get several starting at the same time each year in the barn roof. They seem to happily co-exist together, but the wasps will attack anyone who goes near.
They eat wood, chewing noisily, and seem to especially favour doors in full sun.

I used to use wasp powder in the traditional way, giving a quick puff and then running, until I discovered that wood preserver in a pressure spray was much easier and just as effective.
Pump it up hard and set the nozzle to a jet rather than a spray, and you can soak a nest from 20 feet away. It either kills them or the smell sends them away, I don't know which.
 Wasp Nest - FocalPoint
"They eat wood..."

I think not. They chew wood to produce pulp, which they form into the structure of the nest. I don't think they ingest it.
 Wasp Nest - Boxsterboy
I've removed nests in the past - they really are amazing structures, and so incredibly light for their size.
 Wasp Nest - Cliff Pope
>> "They eat wood..."
>>
>> I think not. They chew wood to produce pulp, which they form into the structure
>> of the nest. I don't think they ingest it.
>>

Yes, I'm sure you are right. My sloppy wording.

They systematically erode the face of garage doors etc, destroying any protective coating, leaving a roughened furry surface which absorbs water. On a hot day (never to be seen again in our lifetimes) I've seen dozens of them working like combine harvesters.
 Wasp Nest - zookeeper
talking of old queens hibernating have you seen the new paul o,grady tv prog on orphaned pets on ITV ?
 Wasp Nest - Roger.
>> talking of old queens hibernating have you seen the new paul o,grady tv prog on
>> orphaned pets on ITV ?
> No - and I will not!
Latest Forum Posts