Non-motoring > Pete Seeger R.I.P. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: FocalPoint Replies: 40

Pete Seeger R.I.P. - FocalPoint
To jog your memory: We Shall Overcome; If I had a Hammer; Where have all the Flowers gone? Wimoweh; etc.

tinyurl.com/pxt3o4n
 Pete Seeger R.I.P. - commerdriver
All the tunes I could play on a guitar in my youth
Sadly missed, a real character
 Pete Seeger R.I.P. - Zero
>> To jog your memory: We Shall Overcome; If I had a Hammer; Where have all
>> the Flowers gone? Wimoweh; etc.

Well I for one will miss none of them. A list of mediocre tedium IMHO.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 28 Jan 14 at 12:19
 Pete Seeger R.I.P. - Alanovich
Turn turn turn is a goodie.

94, good innings, fair dos.
 Pete Seeger R.I.P. - Dog
To everything there is a season, a time to be born, a time to die ... see you up there Pete, maybe.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y7P4n2uT0w
>> To everything there is a season, a time to be born, a time to die
>> ... see you up there Pete, maybe.

Doubt it, god is Jewish. You will be sent down.
 Pete Seeger R.I.P. - Dog
>>Doubt it, god is Jewish. You will be sent down.

I've been sent down enough times in my life thanks, and anyway, God isn't Jewish:

tinyurl.com/oss9zr6
Last edited by: Dog on Tue 28 Jan 14 at 13:23
 Pete Seeger R.I.P. - Armel Coussine
>> anyway, God isn't Jewish:

>> tinyurl.com/oss9zr6

That isn't God Perro, it's just the much-admired millionaire guitar player Eric Clapton.
 Pete Seeger R.I.P. - Dog
There are many Gods, Sire, according to Hinduism, and Eric is one of them.

:}
>> There are many Gods

Those polytheist ones are gods, with a lowercase g. The uppercase G is reserved for the 'one true God' worshipped by Christians, Muslims and Jews.

You can change the rules if you like though Perro. Doesn't bother me.
 Pete Seeger R.I.P. - Dog
>>Those polytheist ones are gods, with a lowercase g. The uppercase G is reserved for the 'one true God' worshipped by Christians, Muslims and Jews.

I didn't know that Sire, I learn something new here every day.
 Pete Seeger R.I.P. - Robin O'Reliant
>> >> To jog your memory: We Shall Overcome; If I had a Hammer; Where have
>> all
>> >> the Flowers gone? Wimoweh; etc.
>>
>> Well I for one will miss none of them. A list of mediocre tedium IMHO.
>>
>>

+1

Boring lightweight drivel.
 Pete Seeger R.I.P. - MD
Really?
really.
 Pete Seeger R.I.P. - neiltoo
>> To jog your memory: We Shall Overcome; If I had a Hammer; Where have all
>> the Flowers gone? Wimoweh; etc.

From Wikipedia:

"The Lion Sleeps Tonight", also known as "Wimba Way" or "Wimoweh" (and originally as "Mbube"), is a song written and recorded by Solomon Linda originally with the Evening Birds (Song by Solomon Linda originally titled just "Mbube"),[1] for the South African Gallo Record Company in 1939. Originally composed only in IsiZulu, it was adapted and covered internationally by many 1950s pop and folk revival artists, including The Weavers, Jimmy Dorsey, Yma Sumac, Miriam Makeba, and The Kingston Trio. In 1961 it became a number one hit in the U.S. as adapted in English by the doo-wop group The Tokens. It went on to earn at least US$15 million in royalties from covers and film licensing.

In the mid-nineties, it became a pop "supernova" (in the words of South African writer Rian Malan) when licensed to Walt Disney for use in the film The Lion King, its spin-off TV series and live musical, prompting a lawsuit in 2004 on behalf of the impoverished descendants of Solomon Linda.

8o)
Last edited by: neiltoo on Tue 28 Jan 14 at 14:40
 Pete Seeger R.I.P. - helicopter
RIP indeed ....

I like this one...... taught to me by my old man when I was a kid.....he did not like being boxed in and neither do I.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUwUp-D_VV0
I agree with you helico that 'Little Boxes' is a memorable number and actually rather a depressing lyric when you listen to it all.

But I also agree with Zero and others that his style on the whole was lightweight and bland, tailored as it were to the archetypal Little Box dweller, thus probably more profitable in financial terms than something more abrasive. Some of the songs sort of 'swing' up to a point - Wimoweh being one example - but Seeger doesn't as a rule in his main hits.
 Pete Seeger R.I.P. - Bromptonaut
Nothing wrong with 'lightweight' and he wasn't at all bland.

Always had a fondness for Turn, Turn, Turn as rendered by the Byrds.

Only realised the words were of biblical origin when they were red by the Priest ant Mrs B's aunt's funeral.

Oh and the Spinners did a good version of Wimoweh.
 Pete Seeger R.I.P. - Duncan
The news of of his death was the first item on BBC Radio 4 news at 8am today!

The most important thing that has happened in the world? The BBC have seriously lost the plot.
 Pete Seeger R.I.P. - Focusless
>> Oh and the Spinners did a good version of Wimoweh.

Ah but the classic version closest in spirit to the original is
www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cD9cBEaNBc
 Pete Seeger R.I.P. - Pat
>>.....he did not like being boxed in and neither do I.<<

Well, that was a duff career choice then, wasn't it?

Least I can drive a lorry with the window open....tut;)

Pat
I can't help finding the music bland and somehow lightweight. I also found lyrics like We Shall Overcome and Where Have All The Flowers Gone irritatingly mawkish especially when sung by hippies.

But I suppose I must say in Pete Seeger's favour that the songs were hugely popular, that he wasn't bad looking as folk singers go and he could sing in tune. Unlike the frightful geezer they had on Newsnight tonight giving a tribute rendering of We Shall Overcome, who was utter rubbish.

Hope he isn't a friend of anyone here.
 Pete Seeger R.I.P. - Dog
>>I can't help finding the music bland and somehow lightweight. I also found lyrics like We Shall Overcome and Where Have All The Flowers Gone irritatingly mawkish especially when sung by hippies.

I'm an aging hippie Sire, well, aged actually, and I remember the 60's and the music of that time with much fondness.

To be fair, you were an old geezer by then of course, and most likely 'into' music from the 50's I'll wager.

Listening to Pete Seeger's songs still 'does it' for me, and I'm not alone in that either.
This is what I call a protest song -

www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOe9PJrbo0s
 Pete Seeger R.I.P. - Focusless
>> This is what I call a protest song -

Although take away the attitude and you've got quite a bland chord structure :)
(I like it a lot BTW)
>> you were an old geezer by then of course,

I wasn't 30 until 1968 Perro. Almost everyone was a sort of hippie in the sixties and I certainly was. Yes, I did like forties and fifties (and later) jazz in the first place, but I was far from indifferent to a lot of that sixties rock and blues music.

For some reason though never really took to protest singers as a genre, or any sort of folk singers (other than the Beatles). I often agreed with the protest, just didn't think much of the music. I even took a sour attitude to the hugely talented Bob Dylan although he's a considerable poet and had The Band...
 Pete Seeger R.I.P. - Dog
>>I wasn't 30 until 1968 Perro.

30!! .. I was only 16 (there's a song there somewhere)

My brain isn't wired properly Sire, I'd likely be labelled asperger/ADHD/dyslexic etc/ today (or just barmy) but,
I'm more into the sound of music (there's a film there etc) rather than what the geezers are actually singing about,
in fact it's only in the last few years that I've made a point of listening to songs (the words) which I've known and luved for many a year and, been pleasantly surprised :)
Last edited by: Dog on Wed 29 Jan 14 at 13:35
 Pete Seeger R.I.P. - Alanovich
>> Bob Dylan

Fingernails down a blackboard.
>> >> Bob Dylan
>>
>> Fingernails down a blackboard.

Absolutely - no wonder people took drugs in the 60s
 Pete Seeger R.I.P. - Fenlander
I never liked Pete Seeger and in truth struggle with most folk music. Not adverse to a bit of country though.

>>>Fingernails down a blackboard.

The well thought of Hank Williams always seemed that way to me as well. www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3hzYRVAkUs

Following a linked youtube trail is always interesting. From the Pete Seeger above it was a quick step through Johnny Cash & June Carter to this...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbyAZQ45uww

I remember this from '66 but I'd not seen it since. I was 10 back then and though there must be a purpose for girls like that but .... apart from helping mend a puncture on your bike... I hadn't worked out what.
>> >> >> Bob Dylan
>> >>
>> >> Fingernails down a blackboard.
>>
>> Absolutely - no wonder people took drugs in the 60s
>>

Dylan's songs were ok, but only when somebody else covered them. He is a lousy performer.
>> Bob Dylan

>> Fingernails down a blackboard.

Quite. Lugubrious whining and screeching... but in the end, to considerable effect.

Can't help feeling that folk and protest music, which tends to be structurally simple and easy to imitate, has had a baleful effect on popular music with many bands in recent years playing unutterably boring and doleful stuff.
 Pete Seeger R.I.P. - Haywain
"I can't help finding the music bland and somehow lightweight…………….. "

I must admit that, despite a keen interest in folk and acoustic music, I have always felt similarly. As a teenager, I started listening to folk and learning guitar and banjo in the mid-60s, but already by then Pete Seeger was considered the 'old man of American folk music'.

Pete, his half-sister Peggy, and her husband, Ewan MacColl were all purists and wanted the music to stay as it was and where it was. I recall a t.v. interview with the cackling Peggy when she mocked the 'pathetic English boys trying to play the blues - how dare they, it was black American folk music!'. Poor old gal was so blinkered that she hadn't noticed, in her ranting, that they had turned into the Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, etc.

Music, like any other art form, moves on - it has to.

RIP
 Pete Seeger R.I.P. - helicopter

Well, that was a duff career choice then, wasn't it?.......

Pat see attached link.....

www.pprune.org/rotorheads/532835-removing-doors-opening-windows.html
 Pete Seeger R.I.P. - Pat
:)

Well, they wouldn't let me open the window when I went to the Scilly Isles.

...and no-one told me it was rattly and falling to bits either.

Pat
 Pete Seeger R.I.P. - Bromptonaut
Pat,

Flew to the Scillies with my parents in 1968, I was eight at the time. Viewing the family cine film years later and wearing a plane geek's hat I noted the registration to be G ATFM.

Seen it quite recently on TV doing oil exploration in the Falklands and apparently it's still in service:

www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=60&pagetype=65&appid=1&mode=detailnosummary&fullregmark=ATFM
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Thu 30 Jan 14 at 16:49
 Pete Seeger R.I.P. - Pat
They don't instill much confidence when they take off , do they Bromp?

The HMS Scillonian trip is far nicer but it's so often foggy.

I love Tresco, and the gardens.

Pat
Sorry to be pedantic, Pat, but if it's not me someone else (less nice) will say it: the boat is called "SS Scillonian".

If she were "HMS" that would mean she was a Royal Navy vessel.

And yes, Tresco is a delight. (Do you know the film Archipelago, shot on the island?)
Pat probably knows, but the British International helicopter service to the Scilly Isles bit the dust some time ago (October 2012).

I was fortunate to do the trip in March 2011. First time in a helicopter, and loved it.

There's some hope that there may be a replacement, but despite hopes that something could be in place by this summer, it looks more like summer 2015 - if it ever happens. The prices of fares as discussed so far have been substantially more than previously, and it was never cheap.
Last edited by: FocalPoint on Thu 30 Jan 14 at 17:30
 Pete Seeger R.I.P. - Pat
>> the boat is called "SS Scillonian<<

You're right, of course:)

I've been on it 3 times and tipped goods on the dock to load on it many times, so I should have known that!

I don't like heights so I wasn't terribly impressed with the helicopter, and coming back it took off and then announced it was landing on Tresco to pick someone up, so it meant a tight turn too!

Pat
 Pete Seeger R.I.P. - MD
For Quality Musico's look no further than Albert Lee and Dave Edmunds. If you've never heard Edmunds classical guitar work then you've heard nothing.
Latest Forum Posts