Non-motoring > iPods at work Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 8

iPods at work - smokie
My current project takes me into the offices of a major insurance company most days. I am surprised at the number of people sitting at their desks with earphones plugged in.

Now, I love my music and have a 160Gb iPod with loads of good stuff on which I regularly listen to. But think my "performance" at work would be affected if I had it on there. And the ear wotsits I use are noise cancelling (i.e. I wouldn't readily hear phone or be aware of a colleague talking to me).

I can understand background music in shops, factories or workshops, but am I alone in thinking that music and work don't really go together in an office?

(Which reminds me of a visit to a major record producer in the Soho area many years back where the MD had the most sophisticated and loud sound system I'd ever seen in his office)
 iPods at work - Zero
I am sure the line manager would soon ban them if the performance flagged.
 iPods at work - VxFan
>> am I alone in thinking that music and work don't really go together in an office?

Got a radio/cd in my office. I find I work much better to music. Out of politeness though I mute the sound when the boss comes in for a chat, as does he with his when I pop into his office.
 iPods at work - Manatee
Many of us work in open plan these days, and the biggest distraction is other people's racket. My female colleague has very penetrating voice when using the phone, and I often use plug-type ear defenders if I need to concentrate, and occasionally the ipod.

The total lack of manners of other colleagues also leads them to think that having a conversation around somebody else who's trying to work is OK. I frequently have to ask other people to shut up when I am on the phone.

Another reason to retire.
 iPods at work - Alastairw
I assume thse staff are not 'customer facing' ie: they dont take phone calls. Ipods (and mobiles) are completely verboten in my office, as when we are there we are supoosed to available for customers.

Ipods and phone are allowed outside normal office hours, but I agree they are a distraction.
 iPods at work - MD
Agree with Manatee and Alastair. More so when driving.
 iPods at work - BiggerBadderDave
"Ipods and phone are allowed outside normal office hours"

You mean they let you use your ipod when you're at home or on the bus? That's generous of them.

I can't work without music or telly, personally. It keeps me rooted in one spot and less likely to wander off looking for something better to do.
 iPods at work - Haywain
i-pod use should be subject to the same regulationa as cigarette smoking!

Try ringing your bicycle bell when you're approaching an i-podded pedestrian from behind on a cycle/footpath.
 iPods at work - MD
Short stick.
Latest Forum Posts