Non-motoring > What will you be doing at 19.30 today? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Iffy Replies: 116

What will you be doing at 19.30 today? - Iffy
I will be sat in my caravan watching the England game.

At 19.27, I will be doing something else, the plan being to turn on the box just as the ref blows his whistle.

I'm not the biggest England fan - can't be bothered with friendlies - but this is the World Cup.

As a Tottenham fan, my interest is strengthened by the presence of five Spurs in the squad, although I'm not sure if any will start the game.

Who wants a striker who scores international goals - Crouch - when you've got a striker who rarely scores - Heskey.

So will you be watching it?

And what are your thoughts on team selection and the World Cup so far?
 What will you be doing at 19.30 today? - Duncan
There are some good programmes on ITV3.

I will not be watching some blokes playing Wendyball.
 What will you be doing at 19.30 today? - BiggerBadderDave
I'm an hour ahead. So I'll either have been watching the football for an hour. Or I'll have another hour to wait. I can never work it out. Either way, I'll have a cool glass of beer in my hand and a foam England top hat on my head.
 What will you be doing at 19.30 today? - smokie
The 24h of Le Mans is on this weekend, and flip flops between Eurosport and Eurosport HD for the full race. Although it's the second year in a row I'won't be there, I did it for 13 straight years and my liver survived - quite some achievement!!

I'm certainly more interested in that than the football, but in the event we have a tradition with 3 sets of footy mad neighbours where we each host an England game - 4 games usually seems to be enough before the England team gracefully bow out of tournaments. Tonight's is immediately next door, starting with a BBQ at 5:30. These kinds of competition are the only footy I watch, and were it not for the social bit with the neighbours, I probably wouldn't watch it, as I really can't get excited about football. But obviously it would be good to see England do well.

Then I have to be at Gatwick at 01:00 to collect SWMBO and eldest who have been in Fuerteventura for a week - payback for my 12 days (ostensibly) motor racing in Florida in March. So today I have the chores to do, so that she thinks I've had a hard week - quick hoover round, wipe kitchen and bathroom surfaces, mow the lawn, water her hanging baskets etc. Might even "make the bed" today (i.e. pull the duvet up and plump my pillows). My car got valeted at the menders so I am going to take some pics for when I sell it, which probably won't be too far away - the alloys and interior are nice and clean. The cat has brought in and partially eaten a small bird overnight so I have a large pool of blood to get out of the hall carpet too.

Then more Le Mans through the night. Somehow I get to see more racing and have less hangovers when I am not there...
 What will you be doing at 19.30 today? - -
Got a Saturday PM shift so i'll be at work till late.

You couldn't pay me enough to watch a single game.
 What will you be doing at 19.30 today? - Pat
Baby wipes Smokie, they work a treat for all cat related gifts deposited on carpets:)

We'll probably be having a second look at last nights programme of the last race at the TT.
Why did they have to put it on an hour later? I can't stay awake that late!

Ian is dying to tell me the result, but I really DON'T want to know, so please don't post it on here:)

Pat
Last edited by: pda on Sat 12 Jun 10 at 07:53
 What will you be doing at 19.30 today? - Dog
I'm a funny geezer (really, i'd never have guessed!) and I don't or can't watch the idiots lantern in daylight,
so that means I don't watcha lotta telly in the Summer months ;-}
 What will you be doing at 19.30 today? - teabelly
Certainly won't be watching football. Overpaid bunch of idiots. Gets my goat how much is spent on grown men running round a field when a mere 2.6 billion would pay all student tuition fees each year. Criminal. Think what useful other community projects you could do with all that wasted money.
I was musing along the same lines the other night. Nationalise football, sell all the players to foreign teams and Bingo! Billions wiped off debt overnight.

And also legalise Class A but the Government gets the monopoly to sell it. Should bring in a hefty amount of revenue (there was an article I caught the end of about a drugs factory had been discovered which contained £1bn of drugs! Think it was abroad somewhere)

Erm - I'm only kidding btw!
 What will you be doing at 19.30 today? - BiggerBadderDave
"And also legalise Class A but the Government gets the monopoly to sell it."

I think that's the way to go. It would free the country of a huge amount of petty crime overnight. And while we're at it, legalise prostitution and get the girls off the street and into safe environments. And get them paying tax.
>>And also legalise Class A<<

Yep! as an ex druggie I'd go along with that for the simple reason that if it was legalized it wouldn't be 'cut' with all manor of substances - some far more harmful than the actual drug itself.
Legalize prostitution for the reasons given by BadDave.
Eh, wasn't this fred supposed to be about footie :}
 What will you be doing at 19.30 today? - Armel Coussine
>>And also legalise Class A<<

Chance would be a fine thing. We'd have to sacrifice the Special Relationship with some country whose name I forget, an influential former colony that likes to control the world market for that sort of thing while keeping it illegal. Best of both worlds, see?

20,000 odd dead in Mexico during the last year or two in that former colony's proxy drug wars. And more than 70 dead in Jamaica just a week or so back, including many an innocent passer-by, same thing. All just to maintain the cousins in their evil hypocrisy.

I'm afraid mere reason doesn't wash here. Ask the prime minister. He will know all about it by now.
>>We'd have to sacrifice the Special Relationship with some country whose name I forget<<

S'funny how more white flowers are grown in Afghanistan now, than before the USA invaded the country.
Another conspiracy theory - based on fact!
...Overpaid bunch of idiots...

They might be overpaid, but who are the idiots?

Them for drawing thousands a week for playing?

Or us for drawing hundreds a week for working?

And I think the footballers are only 'expensed', albeit lavishly, to play for England.
 What will you be doing at 19.30 today? - Bellboy
not sure what i will be doing old boy at 19.30
should we be synchronising watches for the big push over the top then me old fruitcake?
 What will you be doing at 19.30 today? - Fursty Ferret
Thinking about going to bed. Bleedin' 3am starts.
 What will you be doing at 19.30 today? - CGNorwich

"when a mere 2.6 billion would pay all student tuition fees each year".

A mere £2.6 billion ? The entire England squad is only worth £263 million so selling them all wouldn't go far even if they were the government's to sell which they're not. The football industry albeit operating on rather shaky business principles does actually earn quite a lot of money for the country and all those overpaid footballers are paying huge amounts of tax.

Not a regular football fan myself but will be watching the match with a few beers to hand and joining in the fun. Having fun is what life is meant to be about.
 What will you be doing at 19.30 today? - Robin O'Reliant
>> Certainly won't be watching football. Overpaid bunch of idiots. Gets my goat how much is
>> spent on grown men running round a field when a mere 2.6 billion would pay
>> all student tuition fees each year. Criminal. Think what useful other community projects you could
>> do with all that wasted money.
>>
The money in football is self-generating. If the game disappeared tomorrow there would not be a penny extra to spend on students (most of whom are wasting their time and our money drinking themselves silly while studying for degrees in paper clip sorting), and millions of squids would be lost to HMRC, much of it foreign currency from rich oil barons.
 What will you be doing at 19.30 today? - Tooslow
I wondered what was happening at 19:30 :-)

To answer your question, just got the BluRay of Alice in Wonderland so I'll be testing out 1080p.

JH
Legalize drugs...Rubbish.

Remove Britain from the EU thereby re-allowing self determination over capital punishment, which nulab signed away in 97/8..cheers Tone.

Vote in leader with a full set, pass death penalty for convicted drug dealers, execute a few dozen, watch the drug problem vanish.
I know you mean well gb, but don't be silly.
can i open the trap door?
i would do it for free
 What will you be doing at 19.30 today? - lancara
Choosing between the 1st stage of the Vuelta ciclista a Suiza 2010 or Mundial de Fórmula 1 clasificación - but at 2030 it's Mundial 2010 - Inglaterra v. Estados Unidos
...I know you mean well gb, but don't be silly...

He's not.

Fear of detection and fear of punishment is what's needed.

The vast majority of crimes would not be carried out if the criminal knew it would result in his or her death.

But the criminals know it won't, so they rationalise, play the odds.

"I probably won't get caught, but if I do, the state will pay for a good lawyer for me, the courts are soft, so it will likely work out not too bad.

"And look what I can earn dealing drugs - almost as much as a footballer."

(Dragging the thread kicking and screaming back on track.)

What will you be doing at 19.30 today? - RattleandSmoke
I will be stuck at home half watching the god awful football.
 What will you be doing at 19.30 today? - Zero
>> ...I know you mean well gb, but don't be silly...
>>
>> He's not.
>>
>> Fear of detection and fear of punishment is what's needed.
>>
>> The vast majority of crimes would not be carried out if the criminal knew it
>> would result in his or her death.

Most drug dealers face death as a natural consequence of turf wars or rivalry.

Getting caught and being deprived of money and status for 30 years is the deterent.

As awlays the key is enfocement. Too many dealers and not enough policemen means you can do it with impunity. (till the up and coming new turf lord blows you away)
(till the up and coming new turf lord blows you away)
>>>>>
>>>>>> i like to think you stuffed your mouth with cotton wool as you posted that bit so to give it added authenticity :-)
check your bed tonight BB, might be a nags head in there.
>> He's not.

Not usually, but in this case he is, and so are you. But confusion, silliness and emotion with nowhere to go are the norm where this matter is concerned. Rubbishy ignorant attitudes effortlessly maintained and developed by the powers that be.

It's been like that since the 1920s or thereabouts, when the US devised the wonderful scheme of prohibiting alcohol to create, out of more or less nothing, the most powerful organised crime community in the world, which these days is multinational (but US-led) like most other profitable businesses.

If drugs were legal and taxed, all the bad guys would have to find something else to make money on. Simple in principle, but it's a bit late to sort it out now.

What people choose to put in their own bodies is none of the government's damn business. Its duty, which it fails utterly to perform, is to supply the population with accurate information on this subject, not use the crime it has created and maintained as an excuse to mess with anyone's life any time it wants, citing some piece of nonsense like the 'war on drugs'.

Few will agree with this of course. It's a bit complicated for most people.

Oh yes, and what will I be doing at 19.30... dunno. I hope I can find a TV because I am out of town and there are women's parties going on in the more obvious places. Bit of a nuisance actually.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Sat 12 Jun 10 at 16:36
...It's a bit complicated for most people....

Armel,

You've called three posters silly, and with the above remark patronised everyone else.

Your attitude is both arrogant and ignorant.

I hope that's not too complicated for you.

>> patronised everyone else.

Not everyone else. Just some. And I specifically said that gb wasn't silly.

>> Your attitude is both arrogant and ignorant. I hope that's not too complicated for you.

Not at all. It's all too easy to understand.

>> Not usually, but in this case he is, and so are you. But confusion, silliness
>> and emotion with nowhere to go are the norm where this matter is concerned.

Thankfully i'm living in a realistic state, you really do need to get a grip man.

Hard drug users are not the harmless happy go lucky souls you'd have us imagine

{{What people choose to put in their own bodies is none of the government's damn business}}
Really? When idiots hell bent on poisoning their bodies and minds agree to be locked away on some deserted island and left to fend for themselves far away from normal people then i'll agree with you, from the pitiful examples i've seen of them it would be a blissfully short existance.

I have a son who i haven't seen for many years and who will never mend thanks to this crap, so don't tell me i'm listening to propaganda, we're not as stupid as you or certain politicians think.
I absolutely don't think you're stupid gb. I'm sorry to hear about your son who has been damaged by drugs. A lot of people have damaged themselves in this way. I have known some cases including one which was truly tragic, and which would not have occurred if the people concerned had had the slightest idea of what they were dealing with. But they hadn't, because they came from respectable backgrounds in which even highly educated and clever people, in many cases, sloppily follow the official, superstitious, absolutist line on this matter, actually know very little, and can't give their nippers proper, meaningful advice and direction.

Everyone knows that adolescents and young adults don't take stuff on faith, especially when the advice and admonitions are unconvincing in major ways. They think they know better, and sometimes, in a way, they do. It may be upsetting but is hardly surprising that on detecting the glaring philosophic and technical flaws in the anti-drug discourse they quite often throw out the baby with the bathwater and get into some sort of trouble before they realise what's happening.

It is my view that fewer would have damaged or killed themselves in this way if the public discourse on drugs had been even marginally rational and informative. Unfortunately though it has always been a mixture of misleading non-information, ridiculously exaggerated scare propaganda and moralizing twaddle.

Death penalty for dealers? Come come my dear fellow. Only reasonable if you want to impose it on tobacconists and off-licence owners whose products kill (in case you have forgotten) hundreds or even thousands of times more people than illegal drugs do.

As I said, this is a complex subject. It's difficult to sort out the moral side from the technical. But if you don't do it, there's no clarity. And that is asking for the trouble we have.

Its a bad night.

There is F1 qualifying till 7, Dr who is on in HD till 7:30, England Kicks off at 7:30 and somewhere in that lot I have to cook tonights tea (chili tacos)
 What will you be doing at 19.30 today? - Fenlander
It's an OK night for us. Family will be watch Dr Who until 7.30 (despite it looking to be a James Corden comedy sitcom episode where Dr Who plays football!), girls will then watch Confidential on BBC3 while I fire up the hard drive and watch the first 1.5hrs of Isle of Wight recorded from 6-7.30pm.

Football isn't understood in our house.
 What will you be doing at 19.30 today? - VxFan
I shan't be watching the football that's for sure.
Never saw the appeal in kicking a bag of air around for 90 mins, let alone watching it.
>> It's an OK night for us. Family will be watch Dr Who until 7.30 (despite
>> it looking to be a James Corden comedy sitcom episode where Dr Who plays football!),
>> girls will then watch Confidential on BBC3

you will then spend 40 mins pacing around outside the bathroom while pound notes gurgle down your drain.
 What will you be doing at 19.30 today? - Bigtee
At 19.00hrs i will be just starting the 12hr overtime night shift last one of four in a row & the tv will be on.
 What will you be doing at 19.30 today? - Fenlander
>>>you will then spend 40 mins pacing around outside the bathroom while pound notes gurgle down your drain.

I think they enjoy my angry Dad act more than the TV.
 What will you be doing at 19.30 today? - Ian (Cape Town)
Oh, my head hurts.
I don't know whether it was the copious alcohol intake yesterday OR the deafening din of those poxy vuvuzelas... about 20 of them were going full-ball in the pub where we watched SA v Mexico.
My brother, here on holiday, went to buy earplugs.
Worked from 5am to midnight yesterday, with breaks for the SA game and the Uruguay v Frogs.
Ran into Viv Anderson in the boozer during the latter - what a nice man!

Plan is the same today - work as much as we can, get everything put onto page, then pop over to catch the england US game at the local watering hole. Was in earlier for a quick pint - there's a crowd of yanks who, if they maintain their current rate of imbibing, will not be in a state to view the game.
Castle Lager 5 Budweiser 0!

Bets on Rooney to do something silly?
I've just had a minor accident with my bike (it fell on top of me and crushed me) so I will certainly be staying in now. The football has spoilt my weekend really, went out last night and it was a bit crap. Not going to risk going out tonight with all the drunks the football will attract.

I will probably go for a nice walk into the country in a bit. PS what time does the Football finish?
crushed by a pushbike?
Yeah dismounted a bit too quickly and couldn't stop the bike properly, the result it toplles over me, just banged my elbow which I broke (not too painful) and got scraped my knee but otherwise I am fine.
Just used picture in picture for the first time in earnest - watching Le Mans with the Argentina game in the little window (only cos I had a bet running on it, which is winning so far). Now going to be able to keep the little pic for LM while I watch F1 qualifying (or vice versa, depends which looks most interesting). Needs two separate inputs to the telly - and fortunately I have two cable boxes under the telly.

Soon to be interrupted when I go next door for the footy. I'd sooner watch LM but it's a tradition...
 What will you be doing at 19.30 today? - BobbyG
I will be just parking up my Chevy, then grabbing a nice cool Bud, wrapping myself in my stars and stripes while having Bruce Springsteen blaring out, before sitting down and watching the game and counting how many times 1966 is mentioned.

I predict 12. And thats just in the pre-match studio chat. :)
And how many times are they going to talk about when scotland won the world cup
 What will you be doing at 19.30 today? - MD
Looking at this ruddy site and thinking I should go back outside and finish cutting the grass before tomorrow's rain.

M (1966) and all that
 What will you be doing at 19.30 today? - legacylad
Just back from my local..too much talk of soccer, so now going out to mow the lawn then catch up with the news as I have been overseas these past 2 weeks involved with a family wedding in tropical parts.
I might even post my thoughts on a Kia Picanto which we rented for the duration (sans brake pads).
On the other hand...
HAS IT STARTED YET
I LOOKED IN EARLIER AND THERES A CONSTANT BEE BU=ZZING NOISE IN THE BACKGROUND
NOT HAVING THAT ON MY KEF T27"S
Poxy vuvuzelas.
Our little gift to the world.
Just had some moron in the pub blowing his in our direction.
I explained that me beating him about the face and neck with it would really hamper his enjoyment of the match.
Last edited by: Ian (Cape Town) on Sat 12 Jun 10 at 21:08
I am gonna have to watch these games with the sound down, the constant squeal from the "vulvazelas" is doing my head in.,
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 12 Jun 10 at 21:35
BBC. Put a stop to the awful monotonous droning noises at World Cup games by simply not employing Mick McCarthy as commentator.
 What will you be doing at 19.30 today? - FocalPoint
Just looked in. Been out at a concert.

Did something important happen at 19:30 this evening, then?
 What will you be doing at 19.30 today? - henry k
>> I am gonna have to watch these games with the sound down, the constant squeal
>> from the "vulvazelas" is doing my head in.,
>>
Me too. I am not a great football fan but the fans singing and reactions IMO are all part of scene. Previously the odd mad drummers supporting a team were just about acceptable but I guess its all too late to ban the vulvazelas.
BBC can you organise a red button option with no crowd noise ? I think I would prefer that.
 What will you be doing at 19.30 today? - Cpt. Flack
At 19.30 I was seated in row E of the Richmond Theatre waiting for the curtain to go up on "Spirit of the Dance" at 19.45.
Got home and watched the highlights on BBC2. Didn't miss much.
Totally agree about that blessed bee noise. Turn you telly sound off and try and catch a live radio broadcast.
Last edited by: Cpt. Flack on Sun 13 Jun 10 at 00:15
Managed to watch qualifying and actually the footy too in the house of a good farmer friend down there, who fed me delicious eaties all the afternoon.

Right man on pole. Footy heartstopping. Naturally I felt at least 8-nil to England would have been more appropriate, but the USA gave it a decent game. Felt sorry for that Green though.

I thought England were a bit tense, but what do I know? Don't even like the damn game much, usually. Perhaps it was the blare of vuvuzelas. A propos, if you haven't seen it, look at the front page Matt cartoon on today's - sorry, yesterday's - Terrorflag, available on line as a rule. It will make you laugh.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Sun 13 Jun 10 at 00:59
...in row E of the Richmond Theatre...

Richmond, Surrey?

Many years ago, I saw Joanna Lumley there in Private Lives by Noel Coward, or it might have been The Importance of Being Ernest.

They used to knock productions into shape in Richmond before taking them into the West End.

Don't know if that still happens.
 What will you be doing at 19.30 today? - devonite
Ok then, just to bee awkward, I really enjoy football, and hope England do well! (although Cappello should have chosen more Chelsea players!). 1966 is a long time ago, and its time we won it again! after all, the English Premiere league is supposed to be the best in the world! and todays youth need thier own heroes from thier own teams in thier own lifetime.

P.s

can anyone explain why Mexico`s goal was ruled out for "offside" when there was a defender on the goal-line? - i missed the explanation given at half time!

thanks!!
 What will you be doing at 19.30 today? - Pat
I hope England do well........but watched Charlie Boormans Down to Dakar instead.

Now there's a sport:)

Pat
 What will you be doing at 19.30 today? - Focusless
Adrian Chiles' spot-on half-time comment - "the usual mixture of hope and horror".
Whole family (5) watched the match, despite none of us being great fans of the game. SWMBO had decided it was going to be a football evening, and bought lots of nibbles to munch during the game. Exciting game, and as the commentators have pointed out numerous times since the final whistle, we drew the first fixture in 1966. All going to plan then :)
Last edited by: Focus on Sun 13 Jun 10 at 08:54
Devonite, I believe the offside rule is that there needs to be two players between you and the goals. One of these is usually taken as being the goalkeeper so everyone assumes one defender is all you need. But in this case the goalie had thrown himself into the middle of the packed penalty box so one defender on the line makes it offside.
 What will you be doing at 19.30 today? - devonite
Ah! - thankyou, i also missed aeeing where the goalie was positioned when the corner was taken! that makes it a great call by the linesman then! (brave chap!)
 What will you be doing at 19.30 today? - wotspur
The Mexico goal was offside because there has to be 2 players between the last forward and the goal, when the ball is played.

This is normally a defender and the goalie - however on this occassion whilst there was a defender on the goal line, the attacker was unusually further forward than the 2nd player who happened to be the goal keeper - but this still meant it was offside,as it woul;d have been if they were transposed in positions - hope that helps
>>BBC can you organise a red button option with no crowd noise ?
>>
Better still ? There is hope

South Africa ponders vuvuzela ban after complaints

news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8737455.stm
stolen from the daily mirror.

Paaaaaaaaaaarp! Ten things you need to know about those Vuvuzelas
By Steve Anglesey in 2010 World Cup Blog

Published 13:12 12/06/10

It's the annoying drone which is threatening to wreck the World Cup finals.

Not the mogadon rumble of Alan Shearer's expert analysis - we were prepared for that well in advance - but the bee-swarm hell of the vuvuzela, the ubiquitous plastic horn which is giving the web the right hump.

If you're lucky enough not to have heard one yet, knock yourself out . You'll regret it.

Though Mirror Football's Dan Silver wrote yesterday that "the only thing more irritating than the vuvuzelas is people complaining about the noise made by the vuvuzelas", not everyone agrees, with the Twittersphere consensus suggesting that instead of sticking them in the mouths them, fans might want to insert their plastic horns into another, lower orifice.

As a veteran who served with distinction during the acid house wars, I'm no shrinking violet when it comes to repetitive noise. A quick look at my lovely new Sony Ericsson X10 reveals 1970s industrialists Throbbing Gristle, loop-bothering Yank weirdos Animal Collective and Don of Drone Jon Hassell among the recently played items. Not only do I own Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music album, but I've played it recently. For pleasure.

Yet this swamping buzz - enjoyed by me thanks to the telly, the radio and a 'hilarious' banker on the tube at Canary Wharf last night - is audio napalm, a sound surely only a serial killer could love since they probably hear similar in their brains 24/7 anyway.

A quick pre-match parp would be fine, but the locals are taking it too far. They are, in fact, over-vuvuzealous.

What do you think? Love the vuvuzelas or loathe them? Should the BBC and ITV be damping down the in-stadium sound so we can actually concentrate on the football? Or do I need to grow a pair and get on with it?

Let me know by commenting below and, before you do, have a look at our 10 vuvuzela facts below...

1) After their curtain-raising draw with Mexico, South African goalkeeper Itumeleng Kuhne declared himself "disappointed" by the vuvuzelas. "There were not enough," he said. "We didn't blow a lot of vuvuzelas, but let's hopes in the next game we'll blow more," Khune said.

2) Vuvuzelas can record noise levels of up to 130 decibels. A chainsaw only puts out 100 decibels, while South African law orders people to use ear protection if they are exposed to 85 decibels and above at work.

3) Cape Town is currently playing host to the world's largest vuvuzela. It's 114 feet long and is powered by air horns which themselves can record noise levels of 123.5 decibels each. The total effect is said to be louder than all of Nelson Mandela's shirts put together.

4) South Africa's Nazareth Baptist Church threatened to sue FIFA if they allowed fans to play vuvuzelas at the World Cup. They claim they have a copyright on the 'holy' instrument.

5) Cape Town shops have sold out of "Vuvu-Stop" earplugs, which reduce the noise level of a nearby vuvuzela by 31 decibels. Each packet has a label on the back of the packet which reads: "Highly effective noise reduction. Uses include soccer, rugby, or to block out your wife's moaning."

6) The drone produced by the vuvuzela is a B-flat. The world boasts four vuvuzela orchestras - three in South Africa and one in Vienna. Each contains seven vuvuzelas, which are cut to different lengths so they can combine to play a single chord.

7) The Rainbow Nation have been stocking up for a long time. Vendors sold 20,000 vuvuzelas on the 2004 day that South Africa won their World Cup bid.

8) Fans of the vuvuzela include Spain's Xabi Alonso ("irritating"), Holland's Bert Van Marwijk ("annoying") and Bryan Robson ("a racket").

9) As well as earache, fans are reporting bruised and cracked lips from over-enthusiastic blowing of the vuvuzela and its cousins. There's the smaller, shriller mini vuvuzela, the deeper, louder kuduzela and the makarapa vuvuzela - a horn attached to a hard hat decorated in team colours.

10) There's always the mute button
Last edited by: Webmaster on Wed 16 Jun 10 at 09:29
>> It's the annoying drone which is threatening to wreck the World Cup finals.

Can't say it bothers me.

They had one on BBC Breakfast this morning, and although plastic I noticed it was like a proper brass instrument in that it's only the buzzing of your lips that creates the sound. That is, basically it's just a hollow tube.

So I'm actually quite impressed that the fans can keep such a constant volume going for the whole match - it must take quite a bit of mouth/lip/lung stamina.
when the football is over maybe they can glue them altogether and make a nice shanty town out of them
Of more concern is a dodgy keeper and a confused selection policy which appears unable to distinguish between the fit and the unfit.

Oh, and a so-called striker who doesn't 'do' goals.

What happened? Did they score lots of wickets and win? It was only the USA I believe?

:-)

JH
>> What happened? Did they score lots of wickets and win? It was only the USA
>> I believe?

Just lulling the other teams into a false sense of security.
Ah. I thought that tactic was discredited?

But football is important.

To some people.

Who wear bobble hats.

JH

enjoy a vuvuzela orchestra in full swing. Quite good really - You can download as a ring tone if you want to be popular .

www.vuvuzelaorchestra.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/abafana-30-2.mp3
 What will you be doing at 19.30 today? - Bagpuss
...or as a marginally quieter, if frankly bizarre, alternative, here is the Temple City Kazoo Orchestra playing Led Zeppelin's "Whole Lotta Love" on kazoos!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qe6qdyJ8DMs
Not sure what words to use to describe that experience!
 What will you be doing at 19.30 today? - Bagpuss
Yes, in a flash of inspiration possibly caused by all the vuvuzelas on the telly, I all of a sudden remembered John Peel playing this in the late 70s. I couldn't believe someone had actually uploaded it to YouTube.
 What will you be doing at 19.30 today? - Mapmaker
I'd legalise Class A, and provide it for free to all users - to be taken in a "drugs bus".

Thus:

1. Users would have access to drug that are clean and not cut, providing health benefits and reducing medical bills where people have been injecting themselves with bleach.

2. They would be taking them in a clean environment, with available medical supervision in the event of something nasty happening.

3. Petty thieving, housebreaking etc. would be significantly reduced.

4. The nasty types who profit out of selling drugs would no longer be subsidising Al Queda.

5. This would provide a legal market for the white flowers that grow in Afghanistan, thus providing benefit and a commercial crop to a third world place.

6. Diamorphine (polite medical word for heroin) is absolutely as cheap as chips.

It will never happen, but it should. The financial benefits in terms of public health and petty thieving would more than pay for the programme; moreover it is the correct thing to do from a compassionate point of view.
Although I have used drugs in a previous life, it was mainly Marijuana & LSD,
I have never ever even considered injecting myself with any drug, and neither would I,
Even Cannabis can be adulterated, unless you grow your own :)
I've never 'pushed' drugs either, Heroin dealers should be hung, drawn & quartered IMO.
>> It will never happen, but it should

No, it won't. A system like that (not sure about the bus) is far too rational to be allowed. And of course it would torpedo a shadowy but mighty industry controlled by very influential elements.

People may not remember that until the late sixties or early seventies (can't remember exactly when because although I've tried everything in my time, pretty well, I don't like opiates and avoided getting a habit) heroin was available quite legally for registered addicts. The product was absolutely pure and came in small pills of a sixth of a grain. That meant that the danger of overdosing - something that happens with illegal, cut heroin when the user gets something with a much higher heroin content than he or she is used to - was much reduced, and of course dodgy substances added to bulk out the product weren't there.

The number of users was small in those days. I can't remember what government suppressed that system - of course the Americans were always very disapproving - but it was a vile and stupid decision resulting in a rapid expansion of the illegal trade and an explosion in the number of addicts who, since they had to pay ridiculous prices for the stuff and were often depressed, resourceless people to start with, resorted in large numbers to mugging and other petty crime. That was what I meant when I said the authorities had created a whole sub-area of crime.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Mon 14 Jun 10 at 12:37
www.activeboard.com/forum.spark?aBID=133200&p=3&topicID=35778276

scroll down, who says crime doesn't pay (allegedly)
 What will you be doing at 19.30 today? - L'escargot
I was watching our local team playing on the village playing field, and blowing my vuvuzela as hard as I could!
Last edited by: L'escargot on Mon 14 Jun 10 at 13:04
>> I was watching our local team playing on the village playing field, and blowing my vuvuzela as hard as I could!
>>
Beware trumpet rage :-)

World Cup 2010: Organisers will not ban vuvuzelas
news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8737455.stm

Unfortunately there are many days of that noise in SA
>> >> Unfortunately there are many days of that noise in SA
>>
henry, you will be very pleased to know that they have FINALLY found a use for that incomplete flyover here in Cape Town - they've put up a HUGE 60 ft long vuvuzela on it, which blasts out across the city every time a goal is scored at the stadium!
 What will you be doing at 19.30 today? - R.P.
I was sitting in a very nice little bar in Picardy - no television or Kazoos. Heard the match was rubbish and that the USA nearly overcome their cousins.

On the subject of soccer - I wonder what the cost to the economy is of all the never-ending soccer related debates in places up and down the country ?

>> On the subject of soccer - I wonder what the cost to the economy is
>> of all the never-ending soccer related debates in places up and down the country ?

nothing.
Ian. Thanks for that gem. Another reason for me fogoing my visit to Capetown this year.
I was thinking of relenting and coming in the Autumn but domestic complications have evolved.
I see the lads at the stadium have walked out.
The BBC appear to be working on a "red button" alternative that gives a buzz free commentary.
There are suggestions that the UK will be invaded with the *** things.
"BBC receives 545 vuvuzela complaints over World Cup"
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment_and_arts/10317767.stm
All no doubt from "disgusted of Tunbridge Wells" types who expect the world to conform to their ideas of acceptability. I shouldn't think any of them have ever been to an English football match and listened to some of the chanting.
I listen to the footie on Radio 5 dead and you don't get any vulvas on there.
Can't help agreeing with CGN. My strong impression is that any major football game takes place amid an unseemly and quite often distasteful clamour, chants reeking with racist or personal abuse, sometimes showers of missiles and eruptions of yobboes onto the pitch, etc., but most of all noise at huge volume.

I find the vuvuzela chorus restful and pleasant, as people point out like the buzzing of bees on a summer afternoon. Those who complain about it are a bunch of boring old women (yes comrades, that means you).

(Quiet, tuneful, pointed raspberry.)
>> My strong impression is that any major football game takes
>> place amid an unseemly and quite often distasteful clamour ....

Good grief AC - where do you get that impression from?
>>I find the vuvuzela chorus restful and pleasant, as people point out like the buzzing of bees on a summer afternoon.

Then off to Lidl you go ! I have just called in the Leatherhead, Surrey branch.uk

A vuvuzela can be yours for £1.99. Buy some for your neighbours ?

Zero. you too ?
i will pop down tomorrow. The townships and shanty towns of Surrey will be buzzing to the sound of Vuvezelas.
Blooming foreigners. I had a nice little accumulator running which would have netted me about £120 if the Slovaks and Spain won. I'd already been through the three more "difficult" games with the slightly less short odds and with just the easy two to go was already spending my money...
>> Blooming foreigners. I had a nice little accumulator running which would have netted me about
>> £120 if the Slovaks and Spain won. I'd already been through the three more "difficult"
>> games with the slightly less short odds and with just the easy two to go
>> was already spending my money...

Just as well. The spanish part of the bet would really have made you sick.
 What will you be doing at 19.30 today? - L'escargot
>> .............. and blowing my
>> vuvuzela as hard as I could!
>>

£1.99 from Lidl. What's the best technique for blowing vuvuzelas?
>> £1.99 from Lidl. What's the best technique for blowing vuvuzelas?
>>

IMO Try it under water and try sucking after you blow.
*BUMP*

Friday's forecast: sunny, temperatures 8-20 C

Cape Town's starting to fill up with fans.

Sadly, i'm at work for the game. However, my brother will be attending in my place...

After last night's appalling display by the hosts against Uruguay, and subsequent snowball's chance in hell of making second round, it is now a case of C'Mon England!
 What will you be doing at 19.30 today? - Duncan
There is talk of bringing the vuvuzela to the 2012 Olympics, Boris Johnson says he is in two minds.

WHAT!!
>> There is talk of bringing the vuvuzela to the 2012 Olympics, Boris Johnson says he
>> is in two minds.
>>
>> WHAT!!
>>

One advantage of the locals losing last night is that town is VERY quiet... haven't heard the trumpet all day, thank god.

You hate it on the telly - imagine a few thousand outside your office in the street!
>> >> Boris Johnson says
>> he
>> >> is in two minds.

No No you have that wrong. Someone said Boris has Schizophrenia!
I've got the radio on for this one.

Alan Green - and Chris Waddell - on 5Live are giving England a lot of stick.

Do they look any better on the telly?

No.
It can only get better can't it?

Please say yes
No.
I can see it geting worse.

They are an appaling shower of ....
>>I've got the radio on for this one.

Alan Green - and Chris Waddell - on 5Live are giving England a lot of stick.<<

Same ere, I like what he sed at arf time = The vulvas sound like BOO
England are playing as if they're wearing Crocs...
 What will you be doing at 19.30 today? - VxFan
Is it all over yet so my world of TV can return to normal once more?
 What will you be doing at 19.30 today? - Runfer D'Hills
I'm loving it......

:-)
My giddy aunt, I havent seen a team from the UK that bad since Ally MacLeod said scotland could win the world cup.

Plucky England remain unbeaten to take on the mighty Slovenes next Wednesday
Best 90 minutes sleep since the last Grand Prix.
you missed a great grand prix then.
Oh deary me.

They were stiff and tense again. I know nothing of this game. But I wish they would get into, you know, top gear at the right road speed. Algeria played better as a team.

Has a team ever won the world cup on nothing but draws I wonder?
No.
Bit iffy then.
Latest Forum Posts