Non-motoring > Disruptive airline passengers. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 5

Disruptive airline passengers. - Old Navy
I read that a lawyer defending someone who had caused an aircraft to divert to offload them said words to the effect of "My client realises that she may be pursued for compensation in another court".

Is this standard practice by airlines if there is a reasonable chance of getting their costs back? I believe £26,000 is involved.
 Disruptive airline passengers. - Armel Coussine
>> Is this standard practice by airlines if there is a reasonable chance of getting their costs back? I believe £26,000 is involved.

If the culprit has the means obviously the airline gets first bite. But what about civil suits from all the passengers who have missed life-changing meetings, failed to make it to their dying father's bedside in time, stood up their rich brides at the altar, etc.? £26 million may be small beer let alone £26,000...

:o}
 Disruptive airline passengers. - bathtub tom
Relative had a massive coronary on a flight from Mexico, causing it to be diverted to USA. Insurance did everything they could to wriggle out of the massive costs involved, even threatening the doctor who said he was fit to fly (he had a history of heart problems).
 Disruptive airline passengers. - helicopter
If this is the case to which you refer Uncle Albert , she can probably afford to pay the costs of the airline having to divert....

news.sky.com/story/1192078/ralph-laurens-niece-fined-over-air-rage
 Disruptive airline passengers. - Old Navy
>> If this is the case to which you refer Uncle Albert , she can probably
>> afford to pay the costs of the airline having to divert....
>>
>> news.sky.com/story/1192078/ralph-laurens-niece-fined-over-air-rage
>>

It is the case that prompted the question, but I was more interested in the general procedure in these situations. This is why I said "if there is a reasonable chance of getting their costs back", no point in trying from a benefit income non property owner.
Last edited by: Uncle Albert on Thu 9 Jan 14 at 16:09
 Disruptive airline passengers. - Gromit
The biggest cause for speculation here is not whether Delta will recoup the $43,000 diverting the flight to Shannon cost, but whether Jenny will get a seat out of Shannon again.

Delta are unlikely to want her as a passenger again, and the other carriers may not be too keen to take on Delta's problem...

Shannon is last stop before the US, so troublesome passengers being chucked off here is nothing new. AFAIK, the airlines used to make a point of pursing the offloaded passenger for their costs.
Latest Forum Posts