Non-motoring > Shower repair or replace? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Focusless Replies: 25

Shower repair or replace? - Focusless
We've got a fairly basic Mira Go 8.5kW electric shower:
www.mirashowers.co.uk/onlinecatalog/detail.htm?productNumber=Go%20(8.5kW)
www.mirashowers.co.uk/onlinecatalog/pdf/1079319_w2_e_mira_go_electric_shower.pdf

It's nearly 3 years old, and has recently developed a worrying habit of turning itself back on after being turned off. The on/off is a push button, which I believe operates a solenoid. When it plays up, you push the button to turn off, the water stops, it hums/buzzes for a few seconds, then the water starts again. The button is still in the 'off' state - you have to turn it on/off a few times to get it to stay off.

You can buy solenoids on ebay for £12, but is it just the solenoid, or the whole solenoid + valve assembly, which are about £45? Would fitting one be a straightforward DIY job? A replacement shower is about £100, and I would get someone in to fit that.

We live in a hard water area, and I suspect the heating element is well calcified - if you take the shower head off and turn the shower on, you get a nice collection of grey bits in the shower tray. I guess the fact they are coming out rather than completely clogging the shower up is good, but it's probably on borrowed time. Perhaps something similar has happened to whatever the solenoid is (not) moving.

Any advice appreciated.
 Shower repair or replace? - rtj70
Since a new one is about £99, I think I'd go for a new one if I was in your position. I don't like the idea of an electrical device is buzzing/humming when turned off. Admittedly not properly off.
 Shower repair or replace? - Zero
Had a look at it to see if there was anyway of getting descaler into it - does not look easy.
 Shower repair or replace? - WillDeBeest
Cut losses and replace would be my advice. Most of the cost of installing an electric shower is running the cable and supply pipe to the necessary spot. With that already done, installing a replacement unit is mostly a screwdriver job - although one for the properly qualified with currents like that. I agree that hard water is likely to kill the whole unit before long, so replacing bits and pieces won't postpone replacement for long.
 Shower repair or replace? - henry k
I recently replaced an old electric shower (Triton).
I called the help line first for advice and I think this approach is worth a try.
They told me the fault could one of several parts so which to start with ?
A whole replacement seemed the answer.
I was told that several replacement were available with prices to match the various specs.
The unexpected good news was that they all had the same base plate and water connections.
It was a very easy task for me to swop over and also have a better spec shower.

Consider uprating to 9.5KW if available?
 Shower repair or replace? - WillDeBeest
Consider uprating to 9.5KW if available...

...and if your supply cable is up to it, of course.
 Shower repair or replace? - MJM
First suspect is the switch.
>>it hums/buzzes for a few seconds, then the water starts again<<
Something is making it do this. The switch contacts are probably burnt/tending to weld themselves together. You may be able to clean them if they are accessible but a replacement switch is the best answer. 8,5 kW is about 34 amps, that's a high current.

HTH
 Shower repair or replace? - scot22
Although three years is not old I would go along with getting prices for a new one. Then, if its reasonable, you should have everything without a problem. I sometimes find that you repair one thing then there's a failure of something else.
 Shower repair or replace? - Old Navy
Replace it. If you fix it the chances are that the element will burn out before long. The potential consequences of a fire don't bear thinking about.
>> We live in a hard water area, and ... - if you take the shower head off and turn the shower on, you get a nice collection of grey bits in the shower tray.
>>
>> Any advice appreciated.
>>
Always worth while taking the shower head off now and again the allowing a short spell of max flowof water supply to flush out any bits.
I then treat the head with citric acid to descale it and use a needle or similar to ensure the jet holes are clear.
 Shower repair or replace? - Clk Sec
3 years is a very short life for any electric shower. I've not bought that particular brand myself, but I've never had any problems with any shower until they're at least twice that age.

I'd speak to the manufacturer first.
 Shower repair or replace? - RattleandSmoke
I would get a spark to it, so they can test the existing cable, if its faulty there is a slight chance it could be drawing too much current and it may have damaged the cable or connections. It is very unlikely but should be checked.

Also I am not sure what size cable is already fitted but again something to check before a new more powerful one is fitted. Is there no way to isolate the shower separately? Most showers have some sort of isolation switch so I would isolate the circuit rather than leaving it hum when it is 'switched off'.
>> I would get a spark to it, so they can test the existing cable

Assuming we get someone in to fit a new one I'll make sure he checks that.

>> Also I am not sure what size cable is already fitted but again something to
>> check before a new more powerful one is fitted.

I won't be fitting a more powerful shower - teenage son spends at least 10 mins in there usually 7 days a week. I'm going to start charging him :)

>> Most showers have some sort of isolation switch so I would isolate
>> the circuit rather than leaving it hum when it is 'switched off'.

Yes, there is a pull-cord thing in the ceiling, but the water comes back on before you would have time to come out of the shower and turn it off. (Once it really is off the humming stops.)
 Shower repair or replace? - Skip
Is there no way to isolate
>> the shower separately? Most showers have some sort of isolation switch so I would isolate
>> the circuit rather than leaving it hum when it is 'switched off'.
>>

I thought that this was a "legal" requirement for an electric shower ?
Last edited by: Skip on Tue 31 Dec 13 at 12:54
>> 3 years is a very short life for any electric shower.

One of the plumbers we asked round for an estimate expressed surprise we were going for an electric shower, saying that he would only give it a couple of years.

Do you live in a hard water area? Surely that's going to make a big difference to an electric shower's life expectancy, even if it's one of those clever ones that keep the water running cold for a bit after you turn it off to cool the element and reduce scaling. (I do that manually but others in the household usually forget.)
Thanks chaps. I should have rung Mira first - just tried, but they're off until Friday. I will speak to them, but it looks like the best bet is a new shower.

Regarding the switch, it looks like it's built into the solenoid. That can be replaced, but I don't know whether I could do it, and it might not be a long term solution - it might not even be a short term solution if that's not the (only) problem.
 Shower repair or replace? - Dulwich Estate
I have had a fair bit of bad luck with electric showers and have had to replace two and do some repairs as well. I suspect it's hard water that is the problem for me. There doesn't seem a way to get descaler in to it either.

Replacement with a new one really is pretty straightforward for someone with modest DIY skills.

These people do spares and videos showing how to fit them:

www.showerdoc.com/shower-spares
Last edited by: Dulwich Estate on Tue 31 Dec 13 at 12:54
>> Replacement with a new one really is pretty straightforward for someone with modest DIY skills.

Definitely get someone in then :)
>> These people do spares and videos showing how to fit them:
>>
>> www.showerdoc.com/shower-spares
>>
thanks for the link.
I was astounded at the list re Triton and noticed the following.
www.showerdoc.com/triton-luxury-body-dryer-shower-spares

What is a body dryer ? and the price of a spare motor!!!!!
It's 9kW and is on the same circuit as the electric shower. It fits on the ceiling, so you get out of the shower and get a 9kW blast of hot hair from above.

www.tritonshowers.co.uk/media/10222/luxury_body_dryer.pdf

I'll just carry on with a towel thanks.
>> It's 9kW
>>
>> www.tritonshowers.co.uk/media/10222/luxury_body_dryer.pdf

"* Economical to run" ??
 Shower repair or replace? - Clk Sec
>>Do you live in a hard water area?

Yes, I do.

And I had a electric shower installed at a property that I look after which is occupied by a family, and it's still going strong after 13 years of use, with no maintenance required during that time.
 Shower repair or replace? - bathtub tom
How often do they use it?
 Shower repair or replace? - Dog
The water in Cornwall is 'soft' and our private water supply is even softer in as much as I've never seen any scale in our kettle, unlike my late brothers kettle, he lived in Maidstone, Kent.

I've often wondered if there was any connection between furred up kettles and furred up arteries, or even amyloid plaques, or even Zionist agendas.
If you haven't got a new one yet then try this - an absolute steal @£90.

www.hotukdeals.com/deals/creda-aquanoir-9-5kw-electric-shower-90-free-delivery-amazon-1789256
 Shower repair or replace? - MD
Call Mira. Give them a brief...brief. They'll send a Man and sort it. Have done it several times for customers and imho is great value.
Latest Forum Posts