Non-motoring > Shelf-life of open bottle of Port Miscellaneous
Thread Author: MJW1994 Replies: 25

Shelf-life of open bottle of Port - MJW1994
I was given a bottle by someone who doesn't know I hardly drink (I know I'm odd) but thought I would give it a go. I'm feeling a bit sick after half a small glass so thought I would pass it on to uncle who I will see in two weeks.

Will it last or should I just bin it?
 Shelf-life of open bottle of Port - PhilW
On Christmas night I finished a bottle I started last Christmas!!
Tasted very nice to me and no ill effects!

Others may have a very different opinion ;-)
P
 Shelf-life of open bottle of Port - Armel Coussine
If it's half decent port keep it for yr uncle MJW. It keeps very well, like sherry.

If it's proper stuff there may well be a lot of mud and crap at the bottom of the bottle. You can decant it, if you want through some sort of clean gauze to trap particles, but you don't have to. It's a good idea to pour it carefully though and not wave the bottle about first... You probably know all this. Sorry if so.

How could a little taste make you feel sick? What have you been eating and drinking in recent days?

Prosit!
 Shelf-life of open bottle of Port - Runfer D'Hills
I had a very odd lunch once in Portugal. I was a guest of a British ex-pat at the British club in Porto.

The food, which I had allowed him to choose, included a baby goat stewed whole ( head, eyes the lot ) in a casserole dish and one was expected to dissect it at the table.

The drink was ( certainly for a weekday lunchtime ) almost equally surprising, being a carafe or several of port.

I seem to remember becoming fond of what remained of the goat and speculating on whether it could make a good pet.
 Shelf-life of open bottle of Port - FocalPoint
"I was given a bottle by someone who doesn't know I hardly drink (I know I'm odd)..."

Not at all, M. I drink very little myself - makes me unwell. I quite like the stuff, but can manage only a little at a time.

We should comfort ourselves with the thought that this must be saving us a huge amount of money.

As for the port, well, it's around 18% - 20% alcohol and has quite a lot of sugar in various forms. Both are preservatives. While there may be some oxidation once the bottle's open, you've taken so little out of it that I would imagine the contents will be good for many months.
 Shelf-life of open bottle of Port - Zero

>> Will it last or should I just bin it?

It lasts for months when opened.

But not in this house, the record for the life of a bottle of port is about 5 days I think.
That's good news, thanks! I was thinking I might have to put it down the sink now it was opened. Uncle will enjoy it, it will be gone in one sitting with him. I wouldn't know if it is a good make and I wouldn't know about the sediment at the bottom of the bottle but he can sort that out, if there is any. He is very kind to me, I should get him a new bottle as well really.

Even a very small amount of alcohol can make me ill if it's the 'wrong' stuff. I'm usually OK with lager and cider which are unfortunately two drinks that I am not so keen on because I don't like fizzy drinks and hate that rough flat cider. Proper beer as in the dark brown stuff is usually OK although more temperamental but wines and spirits I just avoid now otherwise I can be sick and get headaches. Usually the sickness passes quite soon (maybe an hour or so) but the headaches can last a few days.

I have had tests done and everything works properly, there is nothing physically wrong with me, I am fit and healthy and do lots of sport but there is obviously some reaction or intolerance to something in those drinks. It used to annoy me but now I don't care, many others have bigger things to deal with in life.
" I should get him a new bottle as well really."

I'm no expert on Port, though I do like it after Christmas dinner (with a cigar and a good lump of Roquefort cheese - yes I have very sensitive taste buds!!) but did notice some good offers on bottles of port in M&S today - some for as little as £6 a bottle. Don't know what it's like but M&S port can't be too bad can it??
P
Aldi 6 quid port is disgusting.
But M&S £6 Port??
Perhaps we should have a cheap Port tasting session Z?? I'll bring the cigars and Roquefort. No matter how disgusting the Port the Roquefort will disguise the taste!! ;-)
P
>> But M&S £6 Port??
>> Perhaps we should have a cheap Port tasting session Z?? I'll bring the cigars and
>> Roquefort. No matter how disgusting the Port the Roquefort will disguise the taste!! ;-)
>> P

If its M&S 10 or 12 quid port reduced, its what I call an improver. The taste improves with each glass you drink per session. I drink port by the wine glass.

Agree it needs cheese, but Roquefort? thats a bit OTT with port. Got a nice grand crue blue cheese in the fridge will go well.

And as you say a Romeo y juliette to savour

(in the garden - Nicolle will chuck us out for the smokes)
 Shelf-life of open bottle of Port - MD
Lidl £6.25 is not.
 Shelf-life of open bottle of Port - Kevin
>Aldi 6 quid port is disgusting.

In Harrods food hall there's a little corner at the far end with a couple of shelves of vintage Port. Most of them lost their labels years ago and have hand-written tags saying something like:

"Believed to be a 1908 Porto XXX - £200.

When Mrs K. wins the Euromillions I might chance a bottle.
 Shelf-life of open bottle of Port - Armel Coussine
>> there is obviously some reaction or intolerance to something in those drinks.

It's quite common actually MJW (hence the stories in the comic saying red wine in moderation will make you live for ever one day, and kill you stone dead in a week the next...). A lot of women don't like beer in any quantity, not just because they are smaller than men.

I used to love whisky and tip it down by the gallon more or less. But there came a time when it started to disagree with me, and now I can only drink one or two smallish ones without feeling sub-standard later. PITA frankly, but not necessarily all bad.
 Shelf-life of open bottle of Port - Lygonos
>>Even a very small amount of alcohol can make me ill if it's the 'wrong' stuff

Since you seem to get away with beer and cider, you are likely intolerant of the sulphites used to preserve wines.

I can drink pretty much anything but over the past 3-4 years every so often I get a moderately impressive flush across my face that feels like sunburn (and looks like it too) that lasts for 15 to 20 minutes - most wines I am fine so I imagine some wines contain more sulphite than others (presuming it's the culprit).

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sulfite#Health_risks

**edit** ps. Costco sell 'La Guita' manzanilla sherry for around £4 for a 375ml bottle.

Awesome stuff chilled over an ice-cube.
Last edited by: Lygonos on Sun 29 Dec 13 at 22:55
 Shelf-life of open bottle of Port - MD
Buck up man. 5 days?
 Shelf-life of open bottle of Port - Ted

I have a half finished bockle of Port, Hardy's, I think, which I must have bought over 4 yrs ago for our Ruby Wedding do.

Still tastes fine to me....just tested it...hic.

HO
 Shelf-life of open bottle of Port - henry k
The guide that came with the gift says

"Vintage Port should be consumed within 72 hours of opening.
Having spent its"life" in bottle with little contact with the air, it quickly oxidises so this isto ensure that it is enjoyed at its best.
Other styles ,like the late bottled vintage and aged Tawney Ports.can be consumed for up to four to eight weeks from the date of opening."

Bottled matured ports should be decanted (and the dregs used for cooking.
Ports matured in cask have already been filtered
It's Dow's Renown, if that means anything to the Port lovers.

It doesn't bother me not drinking, at one time it did but then I see people with real problems, it makes me realise how lucky most of us are.
 Shelf-life of open bottle of Port - BobbyG
I have been known to drink a full bottle of port in one night on occasion. Like Zero, I use a wine glass.

The one and only time I have ever bought a glass of port at a friends wedding, I queried with the barmaid the pathetic measure in the glass which of course was correct!

Used to also dip my King Edward cigars in the port which reminds me I have a couple of cuban cigars to savour on Hogmonay.
 Shelf-life of open bottle of Port - Lygonos
>>Used to also dip my King Edward cigars in the port

My old mechanic used to dip his cigars in Drambuie.

Certainly better than drinking the stuff, I imagine.
>> >>Used to also dip my King Edward cigars in the port
>>
>> My old mechanic used to dip his cigars in Drambuie.
>>
>> Certainly better than drinking the stuff, I imagine.

Get te, About the only decent thing to come out of Scotland.
>> It's Dow's Renown, if that means anything to the Port lovers.

Its a cheap 10 year old LBV (late bottled vintage), so nothing special - which means it will keep a good while.
 Shelf-life of open bottle of Port - Cliff Pope
Pour it into a smaller decanter so its full, with hardly any air above, and then drink the remainder.
 Shelf-life of open bottle of Port - Mapmaker
With a good, mature vintage port there's no knowing how long it will last. Decanting it a couple of hours before drinking it might prove too much for it. Alternatively it might be better the following day.

With Dow's Renown, which google tells me is available for £5.99, I wouldn't worry. Best drunk out of doors so it's nicely chilled.
 Shelf-life of open bottle of Port - Gromit
Don't worry, it'll be quite drinkable and will keep fine so long as you don't keep it long term in a warm room. Same goes for Madeira, sherry and spirits unless you're looking after something special (i.e. pricey) that tends to be older and fussier.
Latest Forum Posts