Non-motoring > All checks done, Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 25

All checks done, - R.P.
The cooker hood blew one of its two bulbs the other day and the whole contraption, fan motor and all stopped working. Quick check of the distribution board revealed all in order. Bulb replaced and tried to fire it up.....zilch a big fat nothing. Back to basics. Checked the socket - working fine. Change the 3 Amp fuse in the plug, no go. Found another 3 ampfuse still nothing. Checked plug wiring - spot on. Opened an inspection cover on the unit....in case there was a reset button. Er...no. At a loss now. I don;t have a multi meter so we put up with it over Christmas. FiL called around to collect his dog we'd been looking after whilst they were away. Brought his multimeter...checked all my checks nothing.....I suspected a blown motor, but could not figure out why the bulbs were not working.....FiL checked the three 3 amp fuses.....all duds. The fourth out of the box was inserted and everything worked......didn't Apollo 13 have the same problem ??
 All checks done, - Slidingpillar
Never figured out exactly what was wrong as I took them back and exchanged them for another make, but I once bought four defective spark plugs. Car ran, but increasingly misfired as I changed plugs.

Never bought another Champion after that.
 All checks done, - Zero

>> not figure out why the bulbs were not working.....FiL checked the three 3 amp fuses.....all
>> duds. The fourth out of the box was inserted and everything worked......didn't Apollo 13 have
>> the same problem ??
>

Now the wife thinks you are useless because F-I-L fixed it
 All checks done, - R.P.
I didn't have the diagnostic kit....who'd expect 2 non-functioning fuses from a box ?!
 All checks done, - Zero
I can hear the plaintive tone in your voice, you don't need to convince me.............
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 29 Dec 13 at 09:19
 All checks done, - R.P.
Sent you an e-mail btw
 All checks done, - Mike Hannon
>>Never figured out exactly what was wrong as I took them back and exchanged them for another make, but I once bought four defective spark plugs. Car ran, but increasingly misfired as I changed plugs.

Never bought another Champion after that.<<

Many years ago I had exactly the same problem - with the same outcome.
 All checks done, - bathtub tom
Before the days of resistive plugs, I used to put a multimeter between the cap and centre electrode of new plugs before fitting. Surprising how many were infinite resistance - predominantly Champion.
 All checks done, - Dog
I used to fit Champion plugs when I was with Hometune but, I preferred to use NGK.

Was told orf though because NGK plugs never go rong.

I well remember a thyme back in the 80's when Champion had a problem with their plating and, bits of plating used to regularly be found bridging the (then) 25 thou gap ... more 'work'.

:}
 All checks done, - R.P.
NGK or Bosch for me when I did dabbling. NGK because that's what the Japanese fit to their bikes and they were always good
 All checks done, - Skip
I used to manage a motor factors back in the 80's and I don't recall ever having an NGK brought back as faulty. AC Delco were also good, There seemed to be two different quality of Champion plugs though, the ones in blister packs on cards seemed to be inferior to the ones that came "individually wrapped", perhaps they were produced in different countries ? Neither were as good as the NGK's though IMHO.
Last edited by: Skip on Sun 29 Dec 13 at 12:34
 All checks done, - Pat
>> a motor factors back in the 80's <<

Brings back memories fo names like Girling, Borg Warner, Hepolite, Vandervell, Glacier, Borg & Beck, Clayton Dewander (sp?), Dana Spicer, Hardy Spicer and odd fitting UJ's from some of the wagons Leics CC run:)

Funny, I always started with the Old Landrover catalogue though!

Pat
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 19 May 14 at 02:22
 All checks done, - Skip
>> >> a motor factors back in the 80's <<
>>
>> Brings back memories fo names like Girling, Borg Warner, Hepolite, Vandervell, Glacier, Borg & Beck,

>> Funny, I always started with the Old Landrover catalogue though!
>>
>> Pat
>>

The sad thing is that nealy 25 years later I can still remember the part numbers of many of the fast moving items like lower swivel kits for Marina front suspension, Cortina filters and numerous PN's for points, condensors, rotor arms and dizzy caps etc.

Andy
 All checks done, - Pat
Me too, but don't ask me to remember anyone's name!

Pat
 All checks done, - Cliff Pope
>> NGK or Bosch for me when I did dabbling. NGK because that's what the Japanese
>> fit to their bikes and they were always good
>>

Fashions change. Denso is the new NGK.
 All checks done, - R.P.
Nippon Denso ?
 All checks done, - RattleandSmoke
I think a trip to Maplin is required. Even a cheap £15 multimeter will do the job and will stop this from happening again. Thankfully it has been a long time since I have had to use my oscilloscope for none work purposes but I could not do without it. Great for anything from diagnosing why a plug socket is not working to a dying car battery.

Was quite handy when I made the classic mistake of changing a light fitting without making a note of where the wires went. As this was wired back in 1980 the cables were not marked up to the current standard so I was faced with not having a clue which was the live feed and which was the switch etc.
 All checks done, - Dog
>>Even a cheap £15 multimeter will do the job

Cheap??

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DIGITAL-LCD-VOLTMETER-MULTIMETER-CIRCUIT-TESTER-AMMETER-AC-DC-METER-OHM-/190774031117?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Test_Measurement_Equipment_ET&hash=item2c6b04b30d
 All checks done, - R.P.
Thanks both but my FiL has a spare one which he is giving me. Will need it on the R80 at some stage I guess.
 All checks done, - MJW1994
I always use NGK in the chainsaws, I have found them to be better at high temperatures and give reliable performance. The last thing you want when felling a large tree is a performance dip, been there and it's not much fun...
 All checks done, - Ted

I use one of those Bonzo. They do everything I need, mains as well. Trouble is, they outlast their cables, which tend to break off at the plug end. I've kept mine working with a couple of lengths of 1.5 T&E inners. It's folded and crimped at one end and is a good solid fit into the socket. The copper is exposed a quarter of an inch at the business end. Might indulge in a couple more at that price !

I must be one of the few here who like the old Champeens. In the days when everything ran on N9Ys I used to keep the ones I'd removed on services and clean and re-set them in the workshop.
Lots of ' non- starts ' were plug orientated. I would take out the plugs and fit s/h Champions. I could almost guarantee an instant start......and no expense to the customer out on the road.

My Velocette LE will not run on any Jap plugs. The recommended ones are Lodge detachable which are not readily available. However, Champion do a plug..Z9Y....which suits the bike perfectly. My local old-fashioned vehicle electrical place has good stocks but I might get a few more when I'm passing.

HO
Use BP6ES (NGKs) in my 20's JAP LTOW. 14mm adaptors fitted in case anyone wonders.

Just have close up the gaps a bit as with magneto ignition, you don't get much spark energy when starting.
For most domestic jobs, the pseudo accuracy of digital instruments is a hindrance. I use one of my old fashioned Avometers, one of which was bought for £10, RAF surplus.
 All checks done, - VxFan
>> who'd expect 2 non-functioning fuses from a box ?!

Me at work.

Goto storage box which is mounted on the wall that has the fuses in them. Select relevant drawer with the correct rated fuse that I want. Test with multimeter before fitting into plug. Nope, blown. Try another, Hmmm, blown. And another, blown, etc. wtf? Turns out whenever another colleague changed a fuse they put the duff one back in the drawer with all the rest. Numpty.
 All checks done, - R.P.
I haven't had to change a fuse in years....these was in a box of what nots my wife brought with her to the household. Not mentioning any names just follow my eyes...
 All checks done, - Zero
Blame the wife? oh dear god DO NOT try that excuse.
Latest Forum Posts