Non-motoring > Absolute justification for existence of cricket Miscellaneous
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 17

Absolute justification for existence of cricket - No FM2R
www.theguardian.com/sport/video/2013/dec/27/piers-morgan-brett-lee-over-cricket
 Absolute justification for existence of cricket - Westpig
Sponsored by a Mr Clarkson?
 Absolute justification for existence of cricket - BobbyG
Much as I hate Morgan, nothing in this world will ever justify the existence of cricket to me!!
 Absolute justification for existence of cricket - Lygonos
>>nothing in this world will ever justify the existence of cricket to me!!

You don't enjoy England having their trousers pulled down, then the endless handwringing and abuse of the team/managers/selectors by the knowitalls?

Awesome sport ;-)
 Absolute justification for existence of cricket - sooty123
Wonderful game, one of my favourite sports. I didn't know we had so many heathens on here ;-)

Nice video btw, he's a smarmy character at the best of times. Brett Lee didn't look to be holding back either, liked the way he followed him at the crease.
 Absolute justification for existence of cricket - WillDeBeest
Lee said afterwards that he was bowling at about 80 percent. And he is 37 years old.

Vic Marks wrote in the Guardian the other week about facing fast, short-pitched bowling. He said David Gower told him that he, Gower, always looked to hook and only bailed out if he realized the ball wasn't there to hit. Marks - a bowler but one who scored first-class hundreds and faced the great West Indies bowlers in Tests - marvelled at having time to make one decision, never mind time to change his mind.

The real shocker in that vid is Michael Vaughan's suit. Where on earth does he get them?
 Absolute justification for existence of cricket - Cockle
>> Marks - a bowler but
>> one who scored first-class hundreds and faced the great West Indies bowlers in Tests -
>> marvelled at having time to make one decision, never mind time to change his mind.
>>

Having played League cricket for thirty odd years I realised fairly early on that that was the difference between those of us who played the game and those who could REALLY play the game.

Watched a 14 year old lad play for us who came out to bat at 7, on his debut, against a bowler who had rattled through our top order in double quick time, we'd all been glad just to get in line and get a bat on ball. The youngster got a shortish delivery first ball rocked back, had a look and let it go, next ball went to play forward, decided it was a bit short and leggish so changed his mind stepped back on to his back foot and pulled the ball for four through backward square; went on and got his maiden senior fifty. He went on to play age group cricket and 2nd XI cricket for the County and also a few County games before coming back to Club cricket, he reckoned he didn't quite see the ball early enough to play at that level.......
That's right time to play the ball, the best seem to have all the time in the world. They pick up line and length so quickly. I've watched England in the nets a couple of times at Lords, they make it look so simple.

Time to play the ball is something I struggled with, even at village league level. I remember in the nets one day having just started to play cricket and we had a play around with the bowling machine and put it on full speed, 90mph. It was just a blur. I remember thinking anyone who gets bat on ball is doing well, let alone hitting it to the boundary infront of the wicket is something else.
 Absolute justification for existence of cricket - Robin O'Reliant
Tennis is the same. Watch the behind the net view on TV and it looks like they have plenty of time to receive the ball, view side on and even with two decent club players on the court you can hardly see the ball.
You're possibly right, however that would involve me actually watching tennis. I'll pass thanks ;-)
 Absolute justification for existence of cricket - Runfer D'Hills
>>who came out to bat at 7, on his debut, against a bowler who had rattled through our top order in double quick time, we'd all been glad just to get in line and get a bat on ball. The youngster got a shortish delivery first ball rocked back, had a look and let it go, next ball went to play forward, decided it was a bit short and leggish so changed his mind stepped back on to his back foot and pulled the ball for four through backward square; went on and got his maiden senior fifty.

Ok I've read it a few times and even tried google translate but it still doesn't make any sense !

;-)
 Absolute justification for existence of cricket - MD
'tis Cricket. You're not supposed to make sense of it.

I enjoyed the odd village game as a Yoof, but when it became a Grenade throwing exercise I considered it best to do something else. Drinking seemed a whole lot safer as did Rugby.
 Absolute justification for existence of cricket - Cockle
>> Ok I've read it a few times and even tried google translate but it still
>> doesn't make any sense !
>>
>> ;-)
>>

Apologies, Runfer, forgot we cricketers exist in a parallel universe and speak our own strange dialect of English! :-)

Trust me when I tell you it means the young lad was much, much better than us ordinary mortals but still not good enough to be one of the elite. ;-)
 Absolute justification for existence of cricket - Runfer D'Hills
Oh OK thanks !
 Absolute justification for existence of cricket - Harleyman
David Gower told him that he, Gower, always looked to hook and only bailed
>> out if he realized the ball wasn't there to hit. Marks - a bowler but
>> one who scored first-class hundreds and faced the great West Indies bowlers in Tests -
>> marvelled at having time to make one decision, never mind time to change his mind.
>>
>>

Not only was Gower a very good player, he was a joy to watch. I saw him a couple of times at Trent Bridge in his pomp; graceful and elegant, he never looked as though he had to try too hard which eventually proved to be his undoing as it was interpreted as laziness and indifference.
 Absolute justification for existence of cricket - Zero
>> >>nothing in this world will ever justify the existence of cricket to me!!
>>
>> You don't enjoy England having their trousers pulled down, then the endless handwringing and abuse
>> of the team/managers/selectors by the knowitalls?
>>
>> Awesome sport ;-)

He watches jock football, should be used to it.
 Absolute justification for existence of cricket - MJW1994
Always hated cricket, too slow and boring for me and too much hanging around waiting. Unfortunately I was quite good at it and was always picked for the school team. It taught me a valuable lesson in life though - be careful with volunteering to things you are good at.
 Absolute justification for existence of cricket - BobbyG
>>You don't enjoy England having their trousers pulled down, then the endless handwringing and abuse of the team/managers/selectors by the knowitalls?

its not even worth that!
Latest Forum Posts