Non-motoring > HDD recorder DVD player Buying / Selling
Thread Author: scot22 Replies: 14

HDD recorder DVD player - scot22
I'm thinking about buying a combined hdd recorder and dvd player, budget limit £250. For me it needs to be simple and able to connect to sky box and tv. Any recommendations gratefully received.
 HDD recorder DVD player - Robbie34
The only one that I'm aware of is this Panasonic. tinyurl.com/qd4z76a
However, I wouldn't like to comment on it as I know nothing about it.

Humax boxes are about the best PVRs but they don't make a combined PVR and DVD player.
Last edited by: Robbie34 on Fri 27 Dec 13 at 17:07
 HDD recorder DVD player - No FM2R
In fact I would caution against such a combined thing.

Firstly have you considered the Sky PVR?

If not suitable, then I would recommend a Humax PVR with a separate DVD Player, although this may well result in too many cables for you.

Could you say a little more about what you're trying to achieve and how this will work with your Sky system? Also, the DVD player, BluRay or don't care?
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 27 Dec 13 at 17:19
Thanks for the two helpful comments. The Sky box is used to receive BT Sport. I do not subscribe to Sky. The area is not yet provided with cable so not able to stream. My aim is to keep things as simple as possible with, as spotted, not wanting too many cables and connections. I get muddled ! I would like to play dvds and record programmes as easily as possible. Not bothered about a lot of refinements and extras.
How are you receiving BT Sports? (Sat, Cable etc?)
 HDD recorder DVD player - Stuartli
You can watch BT Sport on Freeview, but you apparently have to have a BT Vision box (no other type works) plus the subscription and a decoder card.
Watch it on Sky platform but no Sky subscription. If I could do without the box I'd be quite happy. There is no cable in the area and I don't think there will be in the near future.
Right;

So you want;

to receive BT Sports subscription which requires a Sky box with card
to be able to record any TV you receive which requires a PVR
to play DVDs which requires a DVD player

1) Just buy a DVDplayer, Bluray or not, and live with the fact that it'll be a separate box. (with cables and everything)

2) As far as I am aware, and I don't live in the UK at the moment so I might not be up to date, any PVR which works with a Sky box requires you to give money to Sky.

So, I'd investigate other methods of getting BT Sports. I understand that cable is out, but what about BT Infinity/ Broadband?

I think resolving how else you might receive your BT Sports subscription will dictate what kind of PVR you can have.
 HDD recorder DVD player - Ambo
If you want High Definition to boot, I believe only BluRay can give this. Even then, it depends on the rest of the chain. Not all "HD" TVs can handle true HD. For that matter, not all BluRay DVDs can either and some look no better than SD. I suppose this is down to remastering but the improvement on the BluRay version of "Les Enfants du Paradis" is startling.
 HDD recorder DVD player - WillDeBeest
... plus the subscription and a decoder card.

Vision+ box here but no decoder card. The BT Sport channels are delivered over Freeview and included with our Infinity subscription, so perhaps the decoding is done in software with a key received through broadband. We get the HD versions too, although I doubt we'll bother with that when our free first year comes to an end.
Thanks for the informative replies. Unfortunately we cannot get Infinity and I've been told that it has to be Freesat. As someone who bought Betamax in the early days of video recorders I'm cautious with buying in to systems.
Last edited by: scot22 on Sat 28 Dec 13 at 11:28
 HDD recorder DVD player - Zero
As far as i know, no-one makes a Freesat PVR/DVD player.

I have a Humax (freeview but you can get the new Humax HDR-1000S or a refurbished FoxSat
HDR/500-G www.humaxdirect.co.uk/prodCat.asp?cat=factory&type=sat for Freesat) and a Sony Blue Ray player, they have the best online catchup services (mine is now 3 years old and they are still sending updates to it for on-line services)
As long as your TV has two HDMI plus, two boxes is not that complicated. If you want online services, ability to play DVD/Blueray and HD freest recording, thats the way to go.
 HDD recorder DVD player - Ambo
>>As long as your TV has two HDMI plus, two boxes is not that complicated. If you want online services, ability to play DVD/Blueray and HD freest recording, thats the way to go.

Exactly what I did, but I have three HDMI so have added a DVD/VCR player as well.
 HDD recorder DVD player - Fenlander
>>> I'm cautious with buying in to systems.

Buying two devices makes this even less of a risk and with the relative low cost of units these days compared to the large investment in a Betamax all those years ago I think your money will be safe.

I'd buy the two for about £150 used but as new on EBay. Loads of folks upgrading for no good reason these days leaving some bargains on sale.
Thanks for all the helpful advice - I will go for the two devices.
Latest Forum Posts