Non-motoring > Would you complain? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Pat Replies: 92

Would you complain? - Pat
I ordered a 2.5k rib of beef joint online from Tesco with my order to be delivered today.

When it was delivered it was barely 1.5k so I rang customer services to complain.

They apologised and offered to send out another one today which has just been delivered.

I went to the door with the too small one in my hand to give them back but it appears they have just delivered me another 1 kilo to go with the original one.

Now, how could I possibly serve this for Christmas dinner to be calved at the table when it's in two parts?

What would you do?

Pat
 Would you complain? - CGNorwich
"to be calved at the table"

Different though.
Confused completely now CG.

Pat
 Would you complain? - Ian (Cape Town)
Big roasting dish, lots of string.
 Would you complain? - Runfer D'Hills
Pretty sure it's beyond calving. Film it if it does though.

;-)
 Would you complain? - WillDeBeest
I know this'll sound facetious, Pat, but I'd have gone to a butcher. A piece of meat like that is a statement, something you do rarely (ho ho) and want to be absolutely right. Relying on the judgement of an overworked supermarket picker is OK for washing up liquid but for my festive centrepiece I'd want to see it first.

Do you have the option of returning both pieces and going somewhere else?
That was why I ordered it as a piece cut to size at the butchery counter as opposed to a vac packed joint, WdeB.

That's why I wanted rib of beef too.

I just can't believe customer services think this is acceptable.

I don't really have the chance to go to a butchers now and we don't have one within 10 miles of us anyway that's any good.

I wanted to go with Ian tomorrow and drive a lorry again for the day if he gets home tonight. I like the festive feeling of Christmas Eve at work and still miss it.

Pat
 Would you complain? - Manatee
Well it's clearly not acceptable but maybe customer services don't know the difference between rib and diced braising steak. Still poor service of course.

Do you know which store it's delivered from? Call the manager. I imagine they'll refund you and send a new one in a taxi, gratis.
 Would you complain? - Zero
I thought christmas dinner came in a tin at your place.

What would I do? I would get my ass down to the nearest decent butcher pronto, and hope he can do me a nice bit of meat. Then I would complain to tesco head office and demand recompense for a ruined christmas dinner.

Until you have the joint you want, you don't have a leg to stand on. (wince)
 Would you complain? - Falkirk Bairn
Go to a Butchers and buy a piece of meat.

Get back to Tesco and tell them to pick up "the faulty goods" and say they delivered the wrong item(s) and get your money back.

Tesco do not employ butchers in their branches - so the meat is delivered, pre-cut and wrapped in a factory, to the branches.

Morrisons do employ a butcher in each supermarket branch - some meat in the branches is butchered off-site and pre-packed/priced. The butcher in the branch has other pieces of meat delivered that they can cut to the requirements of the customer

e.g 2.5Kg piece of beef!
 Would you complain? - Bromptonaut
I'd certainly complain but not settle for a resolution that might leave me without on Xmas day.

If return is not an option freeze them both and go somewhere else? Sainsbury and Tesco locally usually have vacpac joints of 2kg plus. May even be on offer

That also leaves one or both of them as an insurance if somewhere else cannot come up with goods. Given the differing weights getting both cooked to the right rare pink would be an extra challenge too.
 Would you complain? - Mapmaker
I've got tears streaming down my cheeks. I think you're going to have the most exciting Christmas lunch ever. May I come to watch the calving?
Last edited by: Mapmaker on Mon 23 Dec 13 at 16:42
I just cannot believe you said that Mapmaker.

You, and your attitude, take me right back to my early years working in service and being treated like dirt by the 'respected and rich landed gentry'

Money, but no manners whatsoever.

My head is held high mapmaker and you will never be welcome in my house for whatever reason

Pat

Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 27 Dec 13 at 00:50
 Would you complain? - Bromptonaut
Come on Pat, calving was worthy of the Guardian's homophone corner even without the bovine link.
I rather think Pat might have missed the calving/carving thing.

Obviously some don't acknowledge the amnesty on pedantry over Christmas.

Pat
Not at all CG, although I do have other things on my mind at the moment.

I still live in hope that one day good manners will prevail and simple mistakes will be tactfully ignored.

Pat
Oh come on. It was a simple typo on your part that conjured up a surreal image, at least it did to me.
 Would you complain? - Armel Coussine
I have to say Pat, that's what I thought people thought. No one imagined you wouldn't understand the typo. They just hoped you would think it funny too.

Is this the same girl who laughed off being tipped into a pile of muddy rubble and her own pee with her trousers down? I thought they were just teasing you a bit, not jeering at you.
 Would you complain? - BobbyG
Pat, I think the best course of action is to contact the store / customer services and put the ball in their court. Explain reason why you needed the one joint etc. But do it now.

I would bet that they will tell you to keep the meat and they will refund the money and then you can try and get another piece elsewhere tomorrow.

There is no chance that they will take the meat off you for hygiene and chill-chain rules unless the manager is being a pain in the backside cos he certainly won't re-sell it. He will be too busy getting a doing from his area manager on Christmas Eve about not meeting sales / wastage / targets to worry too much about a bit of meat.

To be fair though I must admit surprise at anyone at this time of year who do not do their own food shopping for Christmas dinner. Having seen what goes on in the supermarkets, I would not be happy until I had selected, bought and had safely in my car what I was going to eat on Christmas day.

I still get shivers remembering the time some half wit at the Safeway depot refused a trailer full of turkeys because they broke some logistics planner scheduling thingy!!!
>> Not at all CG, although I do have other things on my mind at the
>> moment.
>>
>> I still live in hope that one day good manners will prevail and simple mistakes
>> will be tactfully ignored.

Simple mistakes yes, but typos like the "calving" one will and should always be leapt upon with jocular joy. At times like that you need to accept its comedy gold, and join in.
Join in? Just been told the task for tomorrow is to be at FXTO dock with a container and sit there all day waiting for the crane to decide the wind has dropped enough to lift it off.

That won't happen but it will be yet another 8pm finish on Christmas Eve.....

Pat
God you are turning in to my moaning old mother.
 Would you complain? - rtj70
Sounds like the day you were looking forward to driving is going to be spent sitting at Felixstowe docks... You might be disappointed if you do go along tomorrow. Just saying it doesn't sound like the day you were wanting higher up the thread.
In a nutshell rtj.......

Pat
If you want to be a lorry driver again, you have to take the rough with the smooth. No-one has forced you into it.
:-( Disappointed for you. I read the first post about tomorrow to be that you're going out with Ian and not driving yourself but might be wrong. If I am right then it's not quite what Zero is saying.

Sounds to me that the job might be better postponed anyway with the weather etc.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 23 Dec 13 at 17:51
>>If I am right then it's not quite what Zero is saying<<

You are right and I can assure you it was forced one me simply because of the arthritis, unless of course I wanted to play the 'can you do this for me' card.

Going with Ian I get to do the fun bits while he does the hard bits:)

Pat
 Would you complain? - Manatee
>> Simple mistakes yes, but typos like the "calving" one will and should always be leapt
>> upon with jocular joy. At times like that you need to accept its comedy gold,
>> and join in.

Spot on.

Very funny. It would even have looked as if it had calved when the domed lid was dramatically whipped off to reveal the cow and calf.

Ring the manager and have a laugh with him/her too. Good chance they'll sort it or at least refund it and give it to you free.
Last edited by: Manatee on Mon 23 Dec 13 at 17:29
 Would you complain? - Roger.
Well we are having beef, too. (En famille, just 7 of us)
Not your fancy rib, but brisket slowed cooked with vegetables, stock and 3/4 of a bottle of red wine.
I did this for just the two of us a few weeks ago and it was meltingly tender and full of flavour. Lovely gravy!
Most supermarket's brisket comes in fairly small pieces, so I bought two, 21 day matured, from ALDI at about £10.50 each.
Should be enough for sarnies or cold cuts during the week, as well.
 Roasting Beef - Skip
Hi jacking Pat's cooking thread :-), could I please have some advice on the best way to cook a 2.5kg piece of 21 day matured silver-side roast. Oven temps and times etc. I am not a bad cook, however my beef is usually turns out more suitable for filling in pot holes in a B road
 Roasting Beef - FocalPoint
Silverside, like topside, is suitable for slow, long cooking.

I would marinade the whole joint overnight in a little red-wine vinegar, olive oil, 3 or 4 cloves of garlic and diced carrots, with a couple of bay leaves, seasoning, all topped up with red wine to not quite cover the joint.

Cook in a covered pot in the oven at 140°C for 3 hours at least for a joint this size. Turn the joint over once. Check it is cooked through with a meat thermometer and give it a bit more cooking after that. Over-cooking is no problem in an oven as cool as this.

Use the liquid to make a gravy by adding a stock cube and reducing the quantity by boiling in a pan without a lid. Thicken slightly if required.

After the joint is cooked, set aside to rest and whack up the oven to 190°C to roast some vegetables.
 Roasting Beef - Pat
Oh skip, I do like you:)

I've been Googling cooking times all morning for my two bits of beef!

Most recipes are in lbs not Kilos and then they want me to start it off really hot and then get it out and 'rest' it.

BUT, I have a fan oven and they all say 'adjust times to suit'.

Give me a car engine and a Haynes manual any day.

Pat
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 27 Dec 13 at 00:50
 Roasting Beef - Manatee
Just don't do the rib the same as silverside or topside. Supermarkets sell the last two as roasting joints but they are pot roast jobs unless, as skip says, you need some potholes mended or shoes resoling.
 Roasting Beef - CGNorwich
"but they are pot roast jobs unless, as skip says, you need some potholes mended or shoes resoling. "

I would say that is rubbish. Topside is a lean and tender cut ideal for roasting although unlike rib contain little marbling fat so need some fat around it and needs to be basted . You just have to be careful not to overcook it
 Roasting Beef - Bromptonaut

>> I would say that is rubbish. Topside is a lean and tender cut ideal for
>> roasting although unlike rib contain little marbling fat so need some fat around it and
>> needs to be basted . You just have to be careful not to overcook it

We've had good results with rolled topside joints.

They're often offered at 'half price' in the big supermarkets and at that level pretty good value. We roast using Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall's method which starts with a hot sizzle then turn oven down to 150. Careful timing and full use of meat thermometer produce a lovely rare pink. Stand time is important both to finish the cooking and for juices to be re-absorbed.

A £12 joint will do amply for five, including Miss B's b/f who likes his meat, with around half left for cold cuts, sandwiches or grinding to make the most delicious cottage pies.
 Roasting Beef - CGNorwich
For fan oven reduce electric oven temperature by 10%
 Roasting Beef - Pat
Thanks CG.

Pat
 Roasting Beef - WillDeBeest
I'd say take 20°C off any static temperature for a fan oven - not that far from CG's recommendation, I suppose.

But ignore anything that tells you to calculate the cooking time for your beef based on its weight. Your small rib will need less time, not because it weighs less but because the centre is closer to the surface, so the heat has less to penetrate. Temperature is what matters, so use that probe thermometer - and if you haven't got one, insert a skewer, count to ten and test it on your tongue. It should feel hot (50°C) but not painful.
 Roasting Beef - BiggerBadderDave
"I've been Googling cooking times all morning for my two bits of beef!"

I love my wife's two bits of beef rare and pink. If she overdoes it too much, it becomes too dry so always keep it well smeared in juice. I always test it on my tongue but wifey prefers to poke it with a skewer.

I never complain.
 Roasting Beef - WillDeBeest
Silverside is more of a pot-roast cut, conventionally cooked with liquid and vegetables in a closed vessel until it's cooked right through. The technique you might use for a more tender cut like topside - brown in a hot oven, then at a moderate temperature until ready - is likely to leave it too tough for most.
Dice some onions and carrots, soften them in a big iron casserole. Meanwhile brown your beef all over in a big frying pan, then transfer it to the pot on top of the veg. Pour a liberal amount of red wine or dark beer (although not Guinness, which tastes metallic) into the frying pan and stir in all the stuck-on crusty bits as it bubbles. Once it's reduced a bit, pour it all into the pot with the beef. Add some sprigs of thyme, bay leaves and a head of garlic broken into whole cloves, put on the lid and cook in the oven at 100°C for 3-4 hours.

But if you like beef rare, you might be pleasantly surprised by Heston Blumenthal's low-temperature method. This works brilliantly with topside, H-bone and rib, but I've even made it work with brisket on the bone - making a sort of poor man's rib. You will need an oven that can reliably sustain a temperature of barely-warm, and a digital probe thermometer.
Season and oil the meat and put it in the oven at 50°C. (Ideally your beef is already at room temperature.) Leave it for 2-3 hours, then check the internal temperature; you're aiming for about 48°C. If it's not there, put it back until it is.
When it's up to temperature, take it out and cover with foil while you raise the oven temperature to 250°C and give the beef a 15-minute blast of heat to brown the outside. You can delay this until you're almost ready to serve - just allow the meat another 15 minutes to rest once it comes out of the oven. You should find your beef has a gorgeous dark-brown crust (those are the Maillard compounds, Pat) and then an evenly rare core of dark-red meat. If you can bear to wait it'll be even better cold.
 Roasting Beef - Zero

>> But if you like beef rare, you might be pleasantly surprised by Heston Blumenthal's low-temperature
>> method. This works brilliantly with topside, H-bone and rib, but I've even made it work
>> with brisket on the bone - making a sort of poor man's rib. You will
>> need an oven that can reliably sustain a temperature of barely-warm, and a digital probe
>> thermometer.
>> Season and oil the meat and put it in the oven at 50°C. (Ideally your
>> beef is already at room temperature.) Leave it for 2-3 hours, then check the internal
>> temperature; you're aiming for about 48°C. If it's not there, put it back until it
>> is.
>> When it's up to temperature, take it out and cover with foil while you raise
>> the oven temperature to 250°C and give the beef a 15-minute blast of heat to
>> brown the outside. You can delay this until you're almost ready to serve - just
>> allow the meat another 15 minutes to rest once it comes out of the oven.

This works really well with a leg of lamb. found that out by accident when the over broke once.
I'd assume that someone at the store was having a bad day and didn't think through the delivering an extra 1kg of beef. They should have collected the undersize piece and brought what you ordered.

If you speak to the store, I wonder if one of their drivers still has time to put this right. No harm in asking. I'd not be letting them ruin my Christmas. So worst case scenario - cook the original pice of beef.
 Would you complain? - WillDeBeest
Come on, chaps. It wasn't easy - want to see the toothmarks in my hand? - but even I knew better than to jump on that one, not with Pat in a state of evident anxiety.

Pat, those who suggest hanging on to your imperfect ribs until you have something better in your hand are absolutely right. And I also suspect this is mostly miscommunication at the store. They'll be busy, of course, but if you're firm and patient I expect they'll come up with a workable solution - which should be to send someone with a piece of the right size, do be prepared to ask nicely for that and make it as easy as possible for them to say yes.

If they can't, or won't, a 1.5kg rib joint (on the bone?) is still an appreciable chunk of meat. Cook the two together, but with a thermometer to avoid overcooking the smaller one, and keep the smaller piece in reserve in the kitchen. All that extra surface area will mean more Maillard compounds to flavour your gravy, and it'll make a better, juicier cold joint if you leave it uncut, so there could still be a silver lining.
>> which should be to send someone with a piece of the right size, do be prepared to ask nicely
>> for that and make it as easy as possible for them to say yes.

Trouble is there's not much time for Tesco to resolve this - Pat is out all day tomorrow so hard to deliver a new beef joint. And she finishes too late tomorrow to go somewhere to get the right sized joint.

We usually have a turkey crown and have one in the freezer. But decided to get a fresh one today. But I had plan B (and a C) with the turkey in the freezer.

I hope Pat and Ian have a good Christmas Day and meal! And everyone else on here - well mostly everyone else ;-)
That seems like the best solution WdeB.

Why did you have to spoil it by using this 'Maillard compounds'. I shall have to Google that but I suspect it is that lovely black jelly underneath the dripping which always sees me standing by the fridge with a knife in my hand eating it when no-one is looking!

Pat

As an aside, I do apologise for my sense of humour failure.

In my defence I would like to say it is far more difficult to sit at home worrying about someone knowing full well you could make a better job of it yourself:)

TIC

Pat
>> As an aside, I do apologise for my sense of humour failure.

You've got class Pat.

I pronounce carved and calved in exactly the same way. Not everyone does.
You really have got breeding and class Lud:)

Pat
>> breeding and class

No, not those whatever they may be, just received pronunciation of a certain sort (some including Edinburgh would make a point of the distinction, d'ye hear me Humph?)

There isn't any difference between carved and calved in any real London dialect either. But the distinction is often apparent in provincial and regional dialects.
It is interesting ( in a QI sort of a way as opposed to any critical one ) to the Scottish ear anyway, how some English accents manage ignore the letter "R". Not in itself such a linguistic anomaly really as some accents routinely, for example, ignore the letter "H" but generally with a greater degree of consistancy.

The "R" however gets mauled usually only when it appears in the middle or at the end of a word. When it is the first letter it keeps its status ( unlike the "H" which gets dropped no matter where it appears in certain accents )

Thus we get "roar" pronounced "roah" for example. Which seems at least illogical.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Mon 23 Dec 13 at 19:15
>> Thus we get "roar" pronounced "roah" for example. Which seems at least illogical.

Think yourself lucky when it doesn't sound more like 'woah'.

I swallow rs myself, don't pronounce them very distinctly. Only with effort can I produce a decent Scottish or French r, although Mummerset is easier, and even making the effort it seldom comes out quite right.
I quite like accents AC. I find them interesting. Fascinating too to try to understand how they came about. Bill Bryson wrote something about the subject in his book "The Mother Tongue". He proposes that RP ( no not him ) is a relatively recent phenomenon. Prior to its inception he contends that all people would have spoken English with a version of the accent local to where they grew up regardless of any nominally perceived social status.

Apparently, and I've heard this said more than once, I sound a bit like Andrew Marr. Which is odd as he is most definitely Glaswegian and I grew up in Edinburgh. Residents of both those cities would claim there is a huge difference in speech patterns despite the mere 40 miles of separation.

It used to be said, by my erstwhile English teacher to be clear, that the English spoken by Highland Scots was about as pure and correct ( if one believes there is such a thing ) as English can be. His theory being that the use of English as a first language is a relatively recent ( in generational terms ) practice in those parts and that it had not yet had time to become too messed up.

I don't claim to agree or disagree with him, or pretend to care really, but it at least sounds plausible given that the English learned by those only a handful of generations back was that of the schoolroom rather than of their households where Gaelic would have been the norm.

Anyway, I hope you have a lovely Christmas dinner Pat !

Would you complain? - R.P.
A colleague in work reckons that first language Welsh speakers, write better English than his first language English speakers...not sure how that works.
See above I suppose. I've heard it said by German friends that my use of their language is more formal than theirs.
 Would you complain? - Harleyman
>> A colleague in work reckons that first language Welsh speakers, write better English than his
>> first language English speakers...not sure how that works.
>>

Grammatically they would. Conversation however is a different matter; I learned some years ago that punning is a waste of effort in Wales, even the best ones fall flat for the simple reason that first language Welsh speakers THINK in Welsh then translate to English. It has the unfortunate consequence of giving the impression that the Welsh have no sense of humour.
Indeed my puns are lost on Welsh speaker, well some of them. Welsh is a phonetic language and I have giggled a couple of times on the pronunciation of Grosvenor (one of our branches is in a Grosvenor road) on the one hand funny but scary both times it was uttered it was by two different graduates....
 Would you complain? - Duncan
>> A colleague in work reckons that first language Welsh speakers, write better English than his first language English speakers...not sure how that works.>>

Interesting isn't it, that the Jocks and the Taffs think they speak or write better English than the English!
Not my comment, the comment of a Yorkshire-man..
 Would you complain? - Duncan
>> Not my comment, the comment of a Yorkshire-man..
>>

I didn't think you were Welsh.
He's not, he's just gone native.
>>the Jocks and the Taffs...

Come now, lets not exclude the Micks !

Oddly enough the Scots don't have an equivalent "term of endearment" for the English. We just rely on inserting a suitable adjective before the word "English"...

;-)
Same in Wales.
 Would you complain? - Dog
Cornwall too.
Interesting pattern emerging here !

;-)
 Would you complain? - NortonES2
Welsh use two words: mochyn sais. Not said with a smile! Annoying, as the mutterer was not to know my origin, which is as Celtic as his presumably was...
>> the English spoken by Highland Scots was about as pure and correct ( if one believes there is such a thing

I've been told that Aberdonians think they are top at this stuff. It's all guff though. I've heard Algerians claiming to speak better French than the French themselves. Does depend a bit on which French you mean... and a few unnecessary subjunctives do not an academician make as it were.

There are infinite ways of being pretentious. There are those who blare middle-class phonemes as an advertisement of status, and those who talk down to everyone in adopted Estuary to show they don't care, and everyone in between. I can't stand D H Lawrence but he wrote a very good polemical poem, 'The Oxford Voice', about just that sort of thing.

There's still a difference though between just having that accent and exaggerating it to make other people feel small (as opposed to doing it to make them laugh).
 Would you complain? - FocalPoint
"I still live in hope that one day good manners will prevail and simple mistakes will be tactfully ignored."

Well, I was ignoring it, totally... until someone brought it up...
Worth a gripe. I typo quite often in a hurry
 Would you complain? - MD
Management bought the meat weeks ago and is usually a few days in front of the pack for most of the other things. It makes for a substantial saving too. Watch the swine's ramp the price nearer the big day.

Mind you, she still seems to be buying. Just in case of course:-)
 Would you complain? - MJW1994
Having the joint in two pieces does have the advantage of it cooking faster. Is it a requirement to carve it at the table? If it's presentation you are concerned about then maybe carve it in the kitchen, usually what I do and then an able assistant can act as waiter or waitress.
 Would you complain? - legacylad
Pat,
I hope your Xmas Eve working day goes well. Nothing worse than being bored at work. In a previous retail life my Xmas Eve was 6am till 9pm, busy at the wholesaler from 7 then in the shop 8:30 till 4, then a dozen or so customer deliveries till 9pm. Seeing the look on kiddies faces as I delivered their presents was a joy. I miss those days. Tomorrow, for me, is an easy peasy 8;30 till 4:30. Hardly worth turning up! A good book passes the thyme.
Best wishes.
Getting back to your post...I am fortunate in never having lived more than a mile from a good, proper butcher. Not everyone has that 'luxury'. Return them both. It will niggle you if you have to make do.
Last edited by: legacylad on Mon 23 Dec 13 at 22:18
 Would you complain? - swiss tony
>> What would you do?
>>
>> Pat
>>

Shop else where...

I detest tesco..
An update. Ian walked in at 7.30 last night and has already left this morning at 4am in much the same weather.
As the docks at FXTO were closed most of yesterday and last night we have a backlog of containers to get back to the yard for emptying and palletising, and delivery before New Year.
The night shift normally fetch containers in but because of the weather it's all hands on deck.

I decided to stay at home as there is nothing more depressing than sitting in a lorry cab all day waiting for the weather to let you get on and being Christmas Eve makes it worse.

Normally it's all local work and we're all done by lunchtime.

I decided to email Tesco, not so much in the manner of a complaint but to express my disappointment at their service to a delivery saver weekly customer.

At 8.45 last night we had a phone call and a most apologetic lady couldn't believe they had actually delivered an extra Kilo instead of a bigger joint.

She asked if I could get into the Ely store today to collect a replacement, but I explained the reason I have shopping delivered weekly.

I hate shopping and more so, I hate people in the sort of numbers they will be in any supermarket today.
It also makes a mockery of why I compromised on travelling to a good butcher, and chose to risk Tesco instead.

The outcome is a voucher in my email inbox for £20 off my next shop.

Not ideal but cooked carefully and calved:) in the kitchen it should be ok and the smaller piece will be excellent cold!

The downside is you have to put up with me feeling peeved all day instead of enjoying the banter of Christmas Eve at work.

Pat

Pat
 Would you complain? - MD
Cook them slowly Pat and have an enjoyable Christmas. R E L A X.
 Would you complain? - Gromit
Just a suggestion: cook both joints as above, but only bring out the larger one for carving. Any self respecting carnivore will be drooling at the prospect of a nice rib of beef :)

Then when they think they've had their fill, offer seconds. They'll be so pleased do you think anyone is be anything other than delighted you have another whole rib waiting in the wings?

Just keep in mind the meat will continue to cook in the middle after you remove it from the oven. So dont leave the second piece in *too* long or it'll be very well done.

Extra bonus: you could offer both rare and well done rib to your guests at the same time. As a rare meat eater in a household of shoe leather, sorry, well-done, fans, I'd be in seventh heaven if that choice was served up to me tomorrow :-p

All you need now is a nice Cotes du Rhone to keep it company...

Happy Christmas in the kitchen!
 Would you complain? - Cliff Pope
For a moment I had this image of a glorious mediaeval feast, where they used to stuff each bird with a smaller one, like a russian doll - starting with a swan and ending with larks.
 Would you complain? - helicopter
You are not the only one Pat.

SWMBO was complaining bitterly last night, she had arranged a collection slot at 5 30 pm with Marks to pick up the Turkey and other goodies ordered on line.....

She arrived on time to find utter chaos and forced to wait 1 1/2 HOURS in a queue which was out of the store.....ruins the whole point of the booking on line and collection system.

The store manager apparently had adopted a could not care attitude and said they did not have enough fridges to cope with the demand.... Why not ???

The Head Office of Marks is about to get an awful lot of complaints from the Horsham area..

Quite rightly so, what is the point of booking a collection slot only to have to queue and wait anyway?

Pat
Good ideas there Gromit, if I hang around here too long I fear I may become domesticated!

>> Cotes du Rhone to keep it company...<<

Brouilly will be far nicer;)

Pat
 Would you complain? - VxFan
>> cook both joints as above, but only bring out the larger one for carving.

Pat doesn't do carving. She'll be too busy helping a cow who's in labour ;)
In my days working on a farm, I've had my hand (and arm) in places you wouldn't want to know about!

Pat
Pat - In the cold light day this thread has made my online Christmas. All this has made me laugh. I'm so sorry to say that. I'm glad it all worked out. My wife's shift has been changed from a nominal day shift to a very late one because of the travel problems so I can empathise.
Laugh away RP:)

I have to admit last night while I was waiting and worrying I did think that you know what that's like, knowing the work your wife does.

Well, he's managed to get a box off, a box on and get out of FXTO dock although he had to divert through Ipswich this morning as the Orwell Bridge was closed.

ETA home at the moment, if nothing else is found to do, is around 15.30 so it could have been worse.

Then we're off until 6th January:)

Pat
Pat, you must tell us how this all turns out !
Hope the chippie's open:)

Pat
 Would you complain? - Ted

Turkey pot noodles with all the trimmings ?

HO
Got some Bird's Eye Turkey dinners in the freezer just in case.

My guests are used to my cooking (in)abilities!

Pat
 Would you complain? - Skip
>> Got some Bird's Eye Turkey dinners in the freezer just in case.
>>
>> My guests are used to my cooking (in)abilities!
>>
>> Pat
>>

I have got a turkey breast joint on standby - just in case !
Skip, all you have to do is make them feel very welcome, comfortable and at home.

They always want to come back whatever the cooking is like!

Pat
 Would you complain? - Gromit
So Pat, how did the roasts work out in the end?
I just knew someone was going to ask me that!

They/it was actually for Christmas Eve's evening meal.

The small one was delicious hot and cooked to perfection but I watched it like a hawk.

Complacency set in and my dislike of cooking took over and I added roast parsnips and roast potato's to the pan the small one had been taken from...and turned the oven up.

The result was a crisper than I would have preferred outside but it was all eaten cold with salad and enjoyed.

We were out in Leicestershire for Christmas dinner and cooked by my daughter-in law, was as always, perfect!

Pat
>> Skip, all you have to do is make them feel very welcome, comfortable and at
>> home.
>>
>> They always want to come back whatever the cooking is like! With a takeaway.
>>
>> Pat
>>
Latest Forum Posts