Non-motoring > What and why Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BiggerBadderDave Replies: 30

What and why - BiggerBadderDave
Went for an artificial chrissimas tree this year, like we did last year.

I do love a real tree but having a huge one means dragging the dinner table into the garage. I broke too many bones to be lugging tables in and out for every big meal. Our plastic tree is about 5-foot, sits nicely on a coffee table and it's beautifully decorated (wifey done it of course). It looks uncannily real actually.

Also the Lexus rear seats don't fold down which means borrowing her sister's estate to cart a tree around. I just couldn't be bothered. Maybe next year.

What about you guys?
 What and why - Robin O'Reliant
We don't bother, the dog would either P against it or vandalise it. A few tinsely things hanging out of canine reach are all we can be arrised with now.
 What and why - Runfer D'Hills
My wife did two things two years ago expressly against my wishes. The first was her unilateral decision to purchase a plastic Christmas tree and the second was to have the dog castrated.

I still can't decide which I'm more upset about. The dog however, is very clear in his mind as to the relative seriousness of these matters...
 What and why - Armel Coussine
>> The dog however, is very clear in his mind as to the relative seriousness of these matters...

But does he understand who is to blame Humph? Or has herself managed to mislead him?

My missus over the years twice prevailed on me to take cats to the vet to be castrated. Neither of the cats ever really forgave me. Their attitude changed overnight from matey egalitarian camaraderie to tolerant but unmistakable contempt. I was no longer seen as one of them.

'Off you go son. Got any friends have you? Run along then.'
 What and why - Armel Coussine
Christmas trees, we got'em. Acres of the damn things in different sizes. If you have to use one that's too big you just use the top, all right?

Come to think of it we haven't brought one in yet and wedged it in its bath, bucket or whatever for people to mess around with it and do that kitsch stuff. Loop strings a lickle light through the bough an crap... if the lickle light isn't discover immerse in a pool a water there many such this year... problem problem, this life O...
 What and why - Westpig
For the first time in along while we've got a 7 foot real one..I'll begrudgingly admit it looks pretty good. I had a good quality false one when I met SWMBO 9 years ago and up until now persuaded her that would do...only she wasn't really that impressed..and this year won the arguement.

For quite some years, before I met my wife (whilst I was doing my sad and single bit), I'd drag the decorated false tree into the garage in January and bung a cover over it (it would have the whole lot on it, tinsel, baubles, lights, all the works)..before dragging it out again the next December....it seemed sensible to me, saved time...no one else agreed with me though..and I still don't understand why.
 What and why - Kevin
>What about you guys?

Usually buy the real thing but this year we bought an artificial tree. It came in 3 sections that plug together so the box is only about 4ft long and fitted in the Jag boot easily. Looks very realistic and surprisingly it wasn't made in China but somewhere in the US. It wasn't cheap though so I hope it lasts a few years and I miss the smell of a real tree.

Also threw away all the old lights and bought new LED stuff. How the heck can they make a string of 400 LED lights with multifunction controller, ship it from Hong Kong, distribute across the UK, sell for £25 and still make a profit?
Last edited by: Kevin on Wed 18 Dec 13 at 21:27
 What and why - Dog
Best idea I've heard is to keep a Christmas tree outside in a pot and bring it in (pot 'n all) every Christmastide.

Or:

www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/christmas/3698123/Rent-a-Christmas-tree-service-introduced-as-tree-prices-soar.html
 What and why - Fursty Ferret
Embarrassed to say that with the house move there's no tree this year. I found the lights, though, will stick them in the garden tomorrow.
 What and why - Ted

SWM makes the decision about the tree. This year, like last, she decided a small silver one on the occasional table ( does it become something else when we go to bed ? ) would have to do because of twelve people being in the house on the day.

Cards and deccies are all up now. I moved the bookcase in the hall across to the other side to make room for the sideboard out of the dining room. Need the table extended big time !

She wanted me to put some lights on the youcaliptus in the front garden but I blagged her by saying the cable wouldn't reach the upstairs window house....phew !

Fambly off to other rellies on Boxing day so nice and quiet for me 'n er. I've opted to be on call plus New Year's day on a daily fee plus any turn out charges.......there won't be any.

Ted
 What and why - Enoughalready
Eh? We'll I'm not typing all that again
Last edited by: Enoughalready on Wed 18 Dec 13 at 23:04
 What and why - Roger.
Tiny house = tiny artificial tree = £5. Plenty. No lights this year.(Excuse there are no vacant holes on the extension sockets behind the TV!)
Bah, Humbug.
Signed, The Grinch.
 What and why - R.P.
Falsie - must be in its fourth year by now it looks OK actually - an expensiveish one bought at knock down price. Some assembly required but it warks and look s jolly enough.
 What and why - Cliff Pope
>> Best idea I've heard is to keep a Christmas tree outside in a pot and
>> bring it in (pot 'n all) every Christmastide.
>>

We've been doing that for years. We dug up the sapling from a friend's plantation when it was about 4 feet high, and 20 years later it's grown to about 6 feet.

What and why - Dog
>>it was about 4 feet high, and 20 years later it's grown to about 6 feet.

Not a Norway Spruce then I take it, or it would be nigh-on 100ft high by now:

Maybe not-in-a-pot though :)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norway_Spruce
Last edited by: Dog on Thu 19 Dec 13 at 09:03
 What and why - legacylad
zilch for me. Not even a single bauble hung. After what seemed a lifetime (enjoyable) in retail, 7 days a week from mid Nov till the 24th when I made the final customer delivery 9pm on the 24th, warehouse & accounts on the 26th, back on the 27th, I'm not the greatest fan. Now part time for someone else I try to escape from Xmas whenever possible. Currently in Lanzagrotty for 4 days due to a favourable rota, but back to work tomorrow. Finish on the 24th, back on 27th. Thank goodness.
Out for a jog yesterday am in the sun and passed a beggar playing 'Jjingle Bells' on his accordion. I should have stuffed it where the sun don't shine. Sideways.
Bah humbug in spades. Bring on January & skiing.
 What and why - BiggerBadderDave
"Not a Norway Spruce then I take it, or it would be nigh-on 100ft high by now"

I've no idea what my tree is but it's an evergreen and it's needles are as long as fingers. I was just looking at it from the upstairs window and I'd guess it's 5 times my height. It's a bit of a monster.

It's funny how you get used to having it but me and wifey were looking at some fotos of us having the patio built and there's almost no evidence of a tree. That must have been 8 years ago when they built the street. Then we found a photo of me and there's a tatty bush behind with a couple of branches that show above my head. It was wasteland at the time and we got a JCB to level the garden and clear all the weeds and crap but we kept that bush. Now, the lowest branches are higher than my head, the trunk is fatter than an elephants leg and there's a magpie nest at the top.

Now if I look out at the garden, around the border there's an evergreen tree or bush every metre. Every tree is taller than me now and the bushes are big enough for pheasants to hide. But they all fitted in the boot of a Peugeot saloon, sitting upright not laid down, some of them bought as recently as four years ago.

It is truly incredible how nature takes over.
 What and why - CGNorwich
I would guess a Scots Pine - a common tree in Poland with long needles and a favourite for nesting magpies.
 What and why - Dog
I believe this is a Norway Spruce, it's outside my bedroom window and when it's very windy (like yesterday!)
it sounds ten times worse than what it is - through that tree.

I luv that sound though - better than the traffic down the Old Kent Road :)

img268.imageshack.us/img268/5270/srxo.JPG
 What and why - Cliff Pope

>>
>> Not a Norway Spruce then I take it, or it would be nigh-on 100ft high
>> by now:
>>
>> Maybe not-in-a-pot though :)
>>
>> en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norway_Spruce
>>

That's the point. If you keep it pot-bound it grows very slowly, like a bonsai.
 What and why - Dog
>>That's the point. If you keep it pot-bound it grows very slowly, like a bonsai.

Yep, I see now, fish kept in a small tank are the same I believe.
 What and why - Haywain
"If you keep it pot-bound it grows very slowly, like a bonsai."

The moral of this story is - 'don't wear too-tight underpants'.
 What and why - Dog
>>
The moral of this story is - 'don't wear too-tight underpants'.

D'you know what - I was thinking exactly the same thing.

:o}
 What and why - bathtub tom
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lit_z88VLq8
 What and why - Ted

Friend of mine opened a shop selling Bonsai trees....He did so well he had to move into smaller premises .

Ted
 What and why - Crankcase
Opened a second branch did he?
 What and why - MJW1994
We always have a real tree because we get given one by uncle who grows a few. We wouldn’t bother otherwise, they seem quite expensive in the shops. He will even deliver it in his van since I don’t like mess in the car.

The tree fits in a metal stand, sometimes I have to trim it to make it into the traditional shape but it normally looks quite good.

It gets decorated by whoever has the time or inclination but it is kept simple, clear lights and some baubles usually does it. Maybe a bit of tinsel. This year myself and girl friend have erected and decorated it, which was mostly successful although the whole job took about twice as long as usual due to unscheduled spontaneous interruptions and a couple of broken baubles.
 What and why - Kevin
>This year myself and girl friend have erected and decorated it, which was mostly successful..

Ann Summers?

>although the whole job took about twice as long as usual due to unscheduled spontaneous
>interruptions and a couple of broken baubles.

Ouch!

;-)
 What and why - Ted

Ah....once they get their hands on yer baubles..........................

Ted
 What and why - bathtub tom
Good to see Ted's feeling better!

;>)
 What and why - MJW1994
>> Ah....once they get their hands on yer baubles..........................
>>
>> Ted

Fortunately Wilkinson's had some more in stock this morning, they don't quite match the previous ones but will suffice.
Latest Forum Posts