Non-motoring > Things you didn't know you didn't know Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dog Replies: 8

Things you didn't know you didn't know - Dog
Like, Canary Wharf in East London - named after the fruit that came into that quay from the Canary Islands.

I should have known that of course, being that Canary Wharf is on the, erm, Isle of Dogs.

I even 'had' many customers on the Isle too, back in the olde days, like.
 Things you didn't know you didn't know - Old Navy
Where was the Liver imported from that gave Liverpool its name?
 Things you didn't know you didn't know - Cliff Pope

>>
>> I should have known that of course, being that Canary Wharf is on the, erm,
>> Isle of Dogs.

>>

So the fact that the Canary Islands got their name from "Island of Dogs" too is just a coincidence?
Very clever Clifford (canines) I'd never have thought of that.
 Things you didn't know you didn't know - WillDeBeest
Didn't the Islas Canarias take their name from the wild dogs the first settlers found there?
Yes.

"The name Islas Canarias is likely derived from the Latin name Canariae Insulae, meaning "Island of the Dogs", a name applied originally only to Gran Canaria".
And ... there's more:

"Another speculation is that the so-called dogs were actually a species of Monk Seals (canis marinus or "sea dog" was a Latin term for 'seal'[19]), critically endangered and no longer present in the Canary Islands.[20] The dense population of seals may have been the characteristic that most struck the few ancient Romans who established contact with these islands by sea.

Alternatively, it is said that the original inhabitants of the island, Guanches, used to worship dogs, mummified them and treated dogs generally as holy animals.[21] The ancient Greeks also knew about a people, living far to the west, who are the "dog-headed ones", who worshipped dogs on an island.[21] Some hypothesize that the Canary Islands dog-worship and the ancient Egyptian cult of the dog-headed god, Anubis are closely connected[22] but there is no explanation given as to which one was first.

Other theories speculate that the name comes from a reported Berber tribe living in the Moroccan Atlas, named in Roman sources as Canarii, though Pliny again mentions the relation of this term with dogs.

The connection to dogs is retained in their depiction on the islands' coat-of-arms.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Coat_of_Arms_of_the_Canary_Islands.svg

What is certain is that the name of the islands does not derive from the canary bird; rather, the birds are named after the islands".
 Things you didn't know you didn't know - Ted

Another thing you may not know is the national dog of Cuba is descended from the now extinct Bichon Tenerife.

My daughter's partner has a pure white one, a Havanese Terrier called Olly.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Havanese

A grand little dog...loves to be part of the family. Has his mad moments dashing around but his traction control isn't very good on the Amtico ! Just his nose is black, the rest is white apart from one little pink bit.....an ermine plug would sort that out !

Ted
Nice little dogs Ted, I've never heard of the Havanese, or the Bichon Tenerife of course.

Seen a few Canarian Mastiffs when I used to go walking (trespassing) in the hills and banana plantations.

Luckily (for me) they were chained up on heavy chains, or I wouldn't be here now!
Latest Forum Posts