Non-motoring > Electricity bill - primary/secondary units Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Focusless Replies: 8

Electricity bill - primary/secondary units - Focusless
In my electricity bill, the total units used are divided into primary (22p) and secondary (10p) units. Not unusual, but I'm having trouble working out how they divide it up.

Here are my last 3 sets of figures (total: primary secondary):

1329: 197 1132
1174: 207 967
981: 190 791

I've emailed them, but anyone know, or care to guess?
 Electricity bill - primary/secondary units - Bromptonaut
Primary units are a substitute for the standing charge.

Is it possible that variable duration of the billing period (in days) is causing the discrepancy? In other words do the divide your consumption by days in billing period and then charge say the first two or three units at the higher proce.
Might be - with days:

1329: 197 1132 (80)
1174: 207 967 (85)
981: 190 791 (76)

Er... sorry, then what?
 Electricity bill - primary/secondary units - Bromptonaut
>> Might be - with days:
>>
>> 1329: 197 1132 (80)
>> 1174: 207 967 (85)
>> 981: 190 791 (76)
>>
>> Er... sorry, then what?

It was only a guess, is there anything in the small print of the bill or your suppliers website?
>> It was only a guess, is there anything in the small print of the bill
>> or your suppliers website?

Couldn't spot anything obvious in the bill; on the website www.scottishpower.co.uk/pdf/L2013.11_OnlineFixedPriceEnergyv2.pdf

For customers who are supplied on the tariff, there is a primary block rate which is applied to the first 900kWh used per annum.

So I guess they're sort of dividing the 900 up over the year, but I'd still be interested to know the exact equation. Thanks.
 Electricity bill - primary/secondary units - Manatee
Funny that, I just guessed 75 units a month.

So you in effect pay 10p a unit with a standing charge of £108 a year/ £9 a month.

Electricity bill - primary/secondary units - RichardW
>>So I guess they're sort of dividing the 900 up over the year, but I'd still be interested to know the exact equation. Thanks.

No sort of, it's exactly that. 900/365 = 2.466 kWh/day. Your first 80 days = 80*2.466 = 197.28 kWh.

Believe that HMG's latest interference means that all tarriffs will include standing charge in the future, no split rates.
 Electricity bill - primary/secondary units - Roger.
EDF have written to me saying that they are ceasing their discount for dual fuel supply.
As I am on a fixed price contract until, IIRC early 2015, they will be crediting my account , next January, with the amount of extra they will collect over the remainder of the contract due to the cessation of that discount! The discount is about eight and a half quid per annum: my credit is about nine and a half quid.
Last edited by: Roger on Sat 7 Dec 13 at 23:08
>> No sort of, it's exactly that. 900/365 = 2.466 kWh/day. Your first 80 days =
>> 80*2.466 = 197.28 kWh.

Yes, I realised what they were doing shortly after my previous post. It doesn't quite work for the other 2, but it does if you adjust one of the dates by a day so that the 85, 76 become 84, 77. (The site's down for 'maintenance' at the moment so I can't double-check my data.)

I thought it unlikely that they were just picking random figures out of the air... :)
Latest Forum Posts