Non-motoring > Speaking of house selling... Legal Questions
Thread Author: Fursty Ferret Replies: 3

Speaking of house selling... - Fursty Ferret
I complete on my sale on Tuesday (have been packing furiously for two days solid now and house doesn't look any emptier...) but have had a bit of a falling out with the estate agent.

Basically, it sold before his board even went up, but he sent a bloke round to put one up regardless but unfortunately on the windiest day of the year to day. Said bloke installed it by wedging the thick wooden post into the gravel soak-away surrounding the house and cable-tying it to the drain pipe.

Unsurprisingly, the board flexed in the wind and at the point of touching the house cracked off a piece of render, about three inches by nine. I expressed my displeasure over this at the time and was assured that the sign bloke would visit to collect his sign and inspect the damage. Nothing happened.

Until last week, when I instructed the solicitor not to pay the agent. Cue a phone call and the sign bloke turning up, though have heard nothing further.

I'm hoping to come to an agreement to get some cash off the agent's fee, but can I legally withhold the money, or a portion of it? It happened before exchange, obviously.
 Speaking of house selling... - Armel Coussine
Buying and selling houses is an appalling and gruelling experience, hidden costs, lawyers winding you up, and all the ghastly physical carp, moving furniture in and out, decorating, cleaning, it's endless and unspeakable.
 Speaking of house selling... - R.P.
Get a quote for the repair. Tell them that you're going to withhold the money, they'll bluster and pop but they're stuffed.
 Speaking of house selling... - bathtub tom
Last house I sold went before the sign arrived. When it turned up I told the guy he was too late and to take it away - he did. I was accused (in writing) of stealing the sign! Oh what fun.
Latest Forum Posts