Non-motoring > Credit card Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 105

Credit card - bathtub tom
I've an Aqua credit card that gives 3% cashback on purchases and doesn't charge a fee for foreign currency purchases. It does have a low credit limit, but that suits me. It seems to be advertised towards the type of person that may have difficulty getting credit and as such may have some stigma associated with it, but I don't care, I'm getting 3% cashback.

They're reducing the cashback to 0.5%.

I can't find another with such good terms - I don't care about the interest rate as I pay back in full each month. Anyone know of a good card?
 Credit card - R.P.
I have a mix - A joint Smile card that gives cash-back, a Tesco card that gives you Tesco points - My primary cards from Loyds give Avios points. I have just got an Amazon card - which gives point son the Amazon site. This will replace the Tesco card in due course. I pay in full every month. I guess in a toss up the Smile would be best value.
 Credit card - No FM2R
>>and doesn't charge a fee for foreign currency purchases.

Be careful, that may be an incomplete picture.

You should consider both the admin fee and the exchange rate they will use.
 Credit card - henry k
I have a partnership card ( JL/Waitrose ) which gives rewards but they are JL vouchers.
OK for us Surrey types who shop in Waitrose but not a lot of use in some areas :-)
My bank card is used just for cash withdrawals and all else goes on the JL card.
 Credit card - Zero
>> I have a partnership card ( JL/Waitrose ) which gives rewards but they are JL
>> vouchers.
>> OK for us Surrey types who shop in Waitrose but not a lot of use
>> in some areas :-)
>> My bank card is used just for cash withdrawals and all else goes on the
>> JL card.
>>
And being a Surrey person we have a joint JLP card
Used for food shopping at Waitrose. Get about 300 quid in vouchers a year
 Credit card - CGNorwich
Get about 300 quid in vouchers a year

You spend £30,000 with John Lewis or Waitrose every year? Wow!
 Credit card - Zero
>> Get about 300 quid in vouchers a year
>>
>> You spend £30,000 with John Lewis or Waitrose every year? Wow!

Nope - don't know show we get so many but we spend about 6-7 grand a year with the JLP partnership with that card.
 Credit card - CGNorwich
JLP pay 1% in vouchers on group purchases and 1/2% on non group purchases. To earn £300 in vouchers you would have to spend £30,000 if all your vouchers were earned at JLP

As you only spend around £7,000 with JLP I reckon you must be spending around £46K on non JLP purchases on that card. - As I said WOW!
 Credit card - Zero
I think we get vouchers and stuff for extra percentages. As I said, don't spend that much, more like 7k, and we got about 300 quid in vouchers last year.

Edit, and this year er indoors has redeemed about 130 quid in vouchers this year. And no we haven't spent 13k year to date.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 3 Dec 13 at 17:19
 Credit card - rtj70
>> OK for us Surrey types who shop in Waitrose but not a lot of use in some areas :-)

You do realise there are Waitrose supermarkets all over the place now? Or do you think it's just a southern thing?
 Credit card - Zero
>> >> OK for us Surrey types who shop in Waitrose but not a lot of
>> use in some areas :-)
>>
>> You do realise there are Waitrose supermarkets all over the place now? Or do you
>> think it's just a southern thing?

How would you know? Manchester for example only has a baby Waitrose. The next nearest one being 8 miles away, i.e. somewhere posher.
 Credit card - R.P.
We even have one on Anglesey for goodness sake. I like to go there to breathe deeply, most unlike the local Asda..
 Credit card - Runfer D'Hills
>>even have one on Anglesey

Pah ! Gonna buy me some new skiddies in Bloomingdales tomorrow night...

;-)
 Credit card - R.P.
I think they may have opened it especially for ones exiled on the Island. A sort of corporate Desert Island Discs request....."And finally is there a luxury you would want....?".......
>> finally is there a luxury you would want...

If I really was going to be stuck on a desert island I'd ask for Dervla Kirwan from Ballykissangel. Or Andrea Corr, not bothered either way really.
 Credit card - R.P.
Maybe we need a DID thread.....following the format of the actual programme...maybe a Christmas special.
 Credit card - Bromptonaut

>> How would you know? Manchester for example only has a baby Waitrose. The next nearest
>> one being 8 miles away, i.e. somewhere posher.

You could say the same for inner London. Round here there's a massive one at Kingsthorpe. A decent area of Northampton but far from posh. There's also one in Daventry, again a nice enough place but not posh, albeit with some very expensive villages in its hinterland.

The one in Dav has the great advantage of being in walking distance of Aldi. After getting in the main shop there it's a hop, skip & jump to Waitrose for a few bits/bobs Aldi don't sell - unsweetened peanut butter for example.
 Credit card - PhilW
Nearest Waitrose to me in Leics is at Leicester Forest East M1 services 10 miles away.
Not sure what that says about Leics but I'm sure Z does!! ;-)
(and I'm sure he's right!)
 Credit card - Zero
>> Nearest Waitrose to me in Leics is at Leicester Forest East M1 services 10 miles
>> away.
>> Not sure what that says about Leics but I'm sure Z does!! ;-)
>> (and I'm sure he's right!)
>
I would, but I don't speak the local dialect.
 Credit card - Roger.
>> >> Nearest Waitrose to me in Leics is at Leicester Forest East M1 services 10
>> miles
>> >> away.
>> >> Not sure what that says about Leics but I'm sure Z does!! ;-)
>> >> (and I'm sure he's right!)
>> >
>> I would, but I don't speak the local dialect.
>>

Urdu, you mean?
 Credit card - legacylad
Nearest Waitrose to me is the market town of Otley, W Yorks. 30 miles away. Called in last Thursday night to buy 4 bags of Flahavans porridge, on my way home from Yeadon airport. I was very impressed with their range of tequila's but bought nothing else. Won't be back for another 6 months as I normally shop at Aldi/Asda in Keighley.
Back to the OPs subject matter..my CC (apart from gf's VW) is a Santander 123 which I had to take out in order to get a miserable 3% on their fixed term cash Isa.
>> Nearest Waitrose to me is the market town of Otley, W Yorks. 30 miles away.
>> Called in last Thursday night to buy 4 bags of Flahavans porridge, on my way
>> home from Yeadon airport.

There's a blast from the past. As kids aged 5+ we used to see Dad off to Paris (via London) from Yeadon on BKS Avro 748s.

Later, I misspent my teens watching Viscounts, Friendships and the occasional Boeing 737 or BAC 1-11 there.

Noted it as Yeadon in my copy of Civil Aircraft Markings (and Manchester a Ringway) for a few months until I realised my fellow spotters all used the ICAO designations.
 Credit card - legacylad
Seems like only yesterday we used to fly to Jersey en famille with BUA on Dart Heralds. Even once on a Trident (NE Airlines) to Hrow then on to Venice courtesy of BEA on a Comet 4B. I seem to recall being given a certificate, signed by the captain, of the BEA flight details. Happy days.
More fun than last weeks Jet 2 to Lanzargrotty with non reclining seats and over priced crappy food (which I declined).
>>
>> Even once on a Trident (NE Airlines) to Heathrow.

A 'ground grabber' @ LBA? Wish I'd seen that.

It was normally a Viscount route though with the odd 1-11 in later years.

Credit card - Pat
Isn't the one on the inner ring road (Coleman road/Evington road) crossroads still there?

Living at Tilton, I shopped at Co-op at Evington when I was broke and Waitrose when I was rich:)

Pat
 Credit card - PhilW
"Isn't the one on the inner ring road (Coleman road/Evington road) crossroads still there?"

don't think so Pat - there is a very big newish one on Harborough Road (A6) in Oadby, and a small one at Blaby.
P
 Credit card - Pat
I had a look on Google maps this morning and it looks as though it's been gone for a while!

It is at least 30 years since I lived at Tilton...still love it though:)

Pat
 Credit card - rtj70
My nearest Waitrose is in Cheadle Hulme. Don't know how it compares in size to a Waitrose down south. The only other one I have used is Sandbach. There is a mini Waitrose in Manchester near the courts.
 Credit card - CGNorwich
OK for us Surrey types who shop in Waitrose but not a lot of use in some areas :-)

you can use the vouchers, which have no time limit, when shopping on line at JLP so they are worthwhile wherever you live.
 Credit card - Meldrew
Yesterday's debacle with HSBC cards - system meltdown - shows how worthwhile it is to have at least one or two credit cards, on a different system to one's bank debit card.
Last edited by: Meldrew on Tue 3 Dec 13 at 13:24
>> Yesterday's debacle with HSBC cards - system meltdown - shows how worthwhile it is to
>> have at least one or two credit cards, on a different system to one's bank
>> debit card

Unless HSBC had problems too it was the RBS group (including NatWest and Ulster Bank) who were having problems yesterday and early today.

Agree with concept though. My debit cars is Visa as is one of my credit cards. My other CC is Mastercard. As all three are Santander I also have a second card on mrs B's Barclaycard account.
 Credit card - Meldrew
Sorry! Whoever it was I am not with them so not affected.
>> Sorry! Whoever it was I am not with them so not affected.

In spite of assurances that they had it sorted by 04:00 today the midday news reported customers still having problems.
 Credit card - MJW1994
After being caught out in France a while back, I always carry three cards: my bank debit card, my credit card and my favourite - a credit card that goes to my Mum's account :-)

....strictly for her shopping though although I've had a few odd looks when I've been to pick up women's shoes, clothes and underwear.
 Credit card - Meldrew
I check very carefully. I pay no fees, flat or %age, and I get a very fair exchange rate. I am appalled at the "Spread" charged by the airport change desks, which I never use btw. One was selling €s at 1.03 for a £ and buying back at 1.33, in October!
 Credit card - FocalPoint
I too pay no fees, no interest (I pay off the balance every month by direct debit) and get Avios. I don't know about purchases in foreign currency on the card, as I don't use it for that.

I never, ever, use airport money exchanges - their rates are indeed usurious. I pick up currency from London, at the most advantageous place I can find - with the added advantage of not usually having to pre-order less common currency (Polish złoty being a case in point).

Anything that enables me to claw something back from the banking system is good.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 3 Dec 13 at 21:20
 Credit card - mikeyb
Tesco clubcard credit card here. Guess I spend around 24K a year on it and get about 150 quid a year in clubcard vouchers which we normally swap in for restaurant vouchers and airmiles, although have struggled with what to get with the vouchers of late so perhaps its time to look for an alternative.
Funnily enough "she" came home tonight and told me that having checked at the supermarket we have accumulated £150-odd of Nectar points ( which she has now mentally allocated ). This pleased me at one level but was a sharp reminder in future to check these things before she does...
 Credit card - R.P.
New door mirror..?
Would need a good few more points for one of those. Actually, this last one has been on a year now...
 Credit card - MJW1994
Sometimes we shop in Waitrose and pick up goodies we've ordered from the John Lewis website. My lady likes their soft furnishings, curtains etc.

I quite like Asda as well although the ladies in Waitrose always seem particularly well-heeled.
 Credit card - Ted

Our Waitrose is in Broadheath, just out of Altrincham.......about 8 miles away. It was built there to service a newish estate of houses built on land bought from the National Trust's Dunham Massey estate to home young professionals.

We've only been once, SWM wanted some special Thai rice wine for a recipe. They didn't have any rice wine at all.

We got the Thai stuff in Lidl the following day !

Ted
 Credit card - Zero
>>
>> Our Waitrose is in Broadheath, just out of Altrincham.......about 8 miles away. It was built
>> there to service a newish estate of houses built on land bought from the National
>> Trust's Dunham Massey estate to home young professionals.
>>
>> We've only been once, SWM wanted some special Thai rice wine for a recipe. They
>> didn't have any rice wine at all.
>>
>> We got the Thai stuff in Lidl the following day !
>>
>> Ted

good job she didn't want any lamb mince in Lidl....
 Credit card - Ted

Nah...3 indy butchers in the village............one expensive, one crap. Can't park near the good one atm due to tram laying works.

We get meat from a farm shop in Hazel Grove. Half a lamb, 50 notes. Cafe there as well.

Do you have cafes in the South, Z ? They're very civilized !

Ted
 Credit card - Zero

>> Do you have cafes in the South, Z ? They're very civilized !
>>
>> Ted
No, lorry drivers eat in Cafes, we have artisan coffee shops patisseries and bakers.

you lot have Greggs i understand
 Credit card - rtj70
>> you lot have Greggs i understand

And so do you lucky southerners. Unfortunately.

Try: 48 High Street Epsom , KT19 8AJ for example. Next to Poundland.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 4 Dec 13 at 00:38
 Credit card - Zero
Epsom is NOT weybridge dahling
 Credit card - rtj70
No it isn't. I picked one at random in Surrey. Nearest to Weybridge would be Addlestone. Then maybe Sunbury on Thames or Cobham.
 Credit card - crocks
Thanks for that. I'm off to Cobham in five minutes.
I'll look out for it. :-)
 Credit card - Zero
>> No it isn't. I picked one at random in Surrey. Nearest to Weybridge would be
>> Addlestone.

Know round here as Chavlestone

>>Then maybe Sunbury on Thames

North of the Thames dear, counts as "ooppp 't north"

>>or Cobham.

Alas yes, followed John Terry down here when he moved into the area.
 Credit card - Duncan
>> have struggled with what to get with the vouchers of
>> late so perhaps its time to look for an alternative.
>>

RAC membership?
 Credit card - RattleandSmoke
Typical Zero anti northern snobbery. Plenty of Greggs in the South East even in the more up market areas.

I think he thinks we all live in two up two downs with outdoor toilets and a factory at the end of the street.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Wed 4 Dec 13 at 01:17
 Credit card - Duncan
>> I think he thinks we all live in two up two downs with outdoor toilets
>> and a factory at the end of the street.

He doesn't think it, he knows it!
 Credit card - Zero
>> Typical Zero anti northern snobbery. Plenty of Greggs in the South East even in the
>> more up market areas.
>>
>>

and they spend all their money getting drunk down the club, not getting in till gone 1 in the morning.....

And you still haven't got a proper waitrose
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 4 Dec 13 at 09:37
 Credit card - R.P.
You forgot the ferrets...
 Credit card - Zero
>> You forgot the ferrets...

Aye tha's reet lad. And 't pigeons.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 4 Dec 13 at 08:30
 Credit card - henry k
***Hazard Warning****

When visiting Waitrose there is a slight additional hazard.
this is created by the free coffee supplied.
Mothers of a certain type are having problems steering their trolley with a non hands free phone in one ear and a coffee in the other hand.
Unlike driving a truck it is not so easy steering with elbow or knees:-)
 Credit card - Zero
Whilst in the Checkout Q at Waitrose in Hersham I was held up by a woman slowly packing and paying because she was having a conversation on her mobile.

A very loud "Pardon me if our shopping is inconveniencing your social life" from yours truly made her very red and shamed face.
 Credit card - mikeyb
>> Whilst in the Checkout Q at Waitrose in Hersham I was held up by a
>> woman slowly packing and paying because she was having a conversation on her mobile.
>>
>> A very loud "Pardon me if our shopping is inconveniencing your social life" from yours
>> truly made her very red and shamed face.
>>

Not like Waitrose - usually if you are slow in ours they take over and pack for you. One of the advantages of being a bloke is that the lovely ladies usually assume I will need help and just get on with it (leaving me to finish my free coffee)
 Credit card - henry k
There are two charging points in Surbiton Waitrose with bright blue LEDS on them.
Never yet seen anything plugged in but the bays are always full.
I await a polite call for vehicle to be moved as a customer needs a charge to get home :-)
(The car park is not exclusive to Waitrose and a two hour max dwell time.)

Free papers / coffee / charging, its a hard life.
 Credit card - Skip

That's only the posh Northeners !

Credit card - Lygonos
I believe there's an 8th Waitrose being built in Scotland just now.

Brand dilution, eh?
 Credit card - FocalPoint
"...he thinks we all live in two up two downs with outdoor toilets and a factory at the end of the street."

Back-to-backs, surely?
 Credit card - No FM2R
>> in the more up market areas.

Running water & flush toilets?
 Credit card - Ted

Running water and flush toilets ?

Luxury ! The only running water we had was down t'inside of t'bedroom wall ! We lived in one upstairs room with half the floor missing. There were 28 of us huddled in one corner for fear of falling.

Apologies to M.Python.

Ted
1:00am that is for southerners, if I get in before 3:00am it was a bad night out :p.

But as I type on my 80mbps connection I shall realise just how poor we are up here!

I don't actually have that, but my neighbour two doors down does, and in the new year I think I will switch.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Wed 4 Dec 13 at 15:27
 Credit card - Roger.
Quite posh folk shop at Your M&S for their food.
Really posh folk shop at Harrods or Fortnum & Mason for their comestibles.
People who would aspire to being posh, or would like other folk to think they are posh, shop at Waitrose for their groceries.
 Credit card - No FM2R
I think the really posh don''t pretend and simply shop somewhere they like.
 Credit card - Zero

>> People who would aspire to being posh, or would like other folk to think they
>> are posh, shop at Waitrose for their groceries.

wow that feeling of inferiority really must be eating away at you.
 Credit card - Roger.
I think the really posh don''t pretend and simply shop somewhere they like. :-)
 Credit card - Zero
>> I think the really posh don''t pretend and simply shop somewhere they like. :-)

Indeed, thats why I don't shop in Aldi.
 Credit card - R.P.
I don't give a second thought. Went to Asda in Bangor today. I'm rich I suppose, shopping there means I can keep more of my money !
 Credit card - Fursty Ferret
>>
>> >> People who would aspire to being posh, or would like other folk to think
>> they
>> >> are posh, shop at Waitrose for their groceries.
>>

We have a Waitrose in Aylesbury. Marvellous place, keeps the riff-raff out of Marks and Spencers.

Taken a basic approach to credit cards, just the one (Nationwide Select) and a debit card. Probably not the best rate any more but all three accounts (mortgage too) live under one login for online banking.

In the event of emergencies I can use the company card provided it's paid off within 30 days.
 Credit card - Alanovich
>> We have a Waitrose in Aylesbury. Marvellous place, keeps the riff-raff out of Marks and
>> Spencers.

Our local Waitrose does a sterling job of keeping the wannabes and their faux x fours out of Aldi. Although some of them are starting to cotton on, which is a shame. I'll probably switch to Lidl if it gets too bad in there, the two local Lidls are in far less salubrious parts of town where the wannabes wouldn't be seen dead and would fear for the gleaming white paintwork of their mudless faux x four.
 Credit card - CGNorwich
The class war really gets into everything doesn't it. We regularly shop in Waitrose and aren't wannabees and don't have a 4X4 faux or otherwise. Not sure why someone should be condemned for washing their car either although I hasten to add my Golf has streaks of mud from the allotment. Presumably this gives me credibility in marxist circles.

I like Waitrose because they sell good food, have a decent range and its a pleasant place to shop with well trained and helpful staff. Its little more expensive than some but in my view the small premium is worth paying for the benefits. They also have an excellent self scanning system so you don't have to queue at the checkout

We also use the local Co-Op , Norwich Market, the local bakers and occasionally Aldi for a few items although I really dislike the muddle, the piles of of junk in the middle of the store and the interminable queues and their complete lack of any effort at customer service .

Never been in Lidl although there are a couple in Norwich. I see they are planning another 600 stores in the UK so commercially at least they are doing something right.

Credit card - Alanovich
Evidently I missed the TIC smiley, CGN. It's a caricature I paint, but you don't have too look too far to see it has some basis in reality. Of course I understand that not all Waitrose shoppers are designer label obsessed mugs, but that demographic is there.

You go for it if it suits, although the "small" premium over Aldi isn't exactly small. My missus works for JL and we get 15% discount at Waitrose - the bi-weekly shop I still work out at being 30-40 pounds cheaper at Aldi, even with our discount. Green beans is green beans is green beans. I'll take the 49p jobs at Aldi over the £1.99ers at Waitrose.

No, Aldi doesn't have everything we want always, but it covers the basics at a price so much lower than anyone else that it's worth getting the bulk there and a few "luxuries" elsewhere.

I always find Aldi staff polite, helpful and friendly, and I find much more camaraderie amongst shoppers there, people are always letting someone else go first at the check out if they only have a few items. And that pile of junk in the middle often throws up some utter bargains and gems.
>> I always find Aldi staff polite, helpful and friendly, and I find much more camaraderie
>> amongst shoppers there, people are always letting someone else go first at the check out
>> if they only have a few items.

That's exactly my experience in Aldi too. There is though a significant variation between stores.

There are three nearby, all 15-20 mins drive. The stores in Towcester and Daventry are much tidier than Northampton Jimmy's End. Towcester clears the weekly offers as they expire with some being displayed outside but under cover at further reductions (GT-85 spray at 49p recently). At Jimmy's End the stuff just seems to sit around.

Some of the end of line stuff goes to specific clearance centres, one of which is in Sheffield. Miss B got herself a bargain cycle jacket for a tenner yesterday and several packs of their spectacle wipes at half price.
 Credit card - Alanovich
I expect much depends on the (quite highly paid, A4 comany car'ed, heavily worked) regional manager in charge, usually someone recently graduated and looking for quality work experience with an impressive pay packet. Our local stores are run very well indeed from a customer's point of view.

But still I don't expect champagne service on a beer budget, although they come perilously close to providing it.
 Credit card - Zero
>> >> I always find Aldi staff polite, helpful and friendly, and I find much more
>> camaraderie
>> >> amongst shoppers there, people are always letting someone else go first at the check
>> out
>> >> if they only have a few items.
>>
>> That's exactly my experience in Aldi too. There is though a significant variation between stores.

Completely not my experience in Aldi. The staff are rushed rude and intolerant, woe betide you if you don't get your stuff off that ludicrously small till area and onto the packing shelf, IF you can fight your way past everyone else who has strewn their trolleys there while packing. Still that not too bad these days they have cured that by only opening 2 out of 6 checkout lanes.

Mind you you don't find your way to the checkout at all unless you negotiate the assault course of merchandise strewn around the isles in boxes waiting to be put on shelves.

Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 6 Dec 13 at 01:10
 Credit card - Alanovich
Maybe people are just nicer in Berkshire. Always been my feeling.
 Credit card - Zero
Don't think so.
 Credit card - legacylad
I use both the Asda & Aldi in Keighley. Not one of the more salubrious areas ( I lived there for 15 years) and find the staff in both places consistently helpful. A 30 mile drive from where I live in the sticks but a pleasant journey combined with taking my 94yo Aunt out for lunch fortnightly. Anyway, I hate food shopping. I prefer my dinner to be poured. Grub is grub. The cheaper the better.
I think what Z describes is in part a SE of England issue.

Rude and impatient staff are not a monopoly of Aldi. Ours ask you to 'work the system' by putting the trolley in the right place/orientation but don't get ar*ey if two of you work in tandem and pack your bags straight off the conveyor. OTOH a Facebook friend of mine left £80 worth of stuff on the till after his wife was told not to pack off the conveyor.

Extra tills are opened as queues develop and the staff are always cheery and polite. In Towcester and Dav they're all English but Jimmy's End reflects the local populace and has several lovely ladies from the Baltic states working in store.

Because the store layout is standard I've rarely needed to ask where to find stuff but when I do nothing has been too much trouble.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Thu 5 Dec 13 at 12:34
 Credit card - Zero
>> Because the store layout is standard I've rarely needed to ask where to find stuff
>> but when I do nothing has been too much trouble.

There are no spare staff to ask in the ones I have used. They fail to reach the benchmark of the crapiest mainstream supermarket, Tesco.

Our preference for supermarkets is

Waitrose
Sainsbury

big gap

Morrisons
Asda
Lidl
Tesco
Aldi

The big surprise is the local small Budgens they are building round our way. Very Very good little stores, great wine selection.

Last edited by: Zero on Thu 5 Dec 13 at 13:14
 Credit card - Roger.
Yes.
 Credit card - Roger.
"Yes" was to Alanović's post at 10:29.
Why don't replies to posts appear under to post to which one is replying?
GRR.
I find Aldi staff are indifferent really, I always go to the one in Didsbbuy rather than the one in Old Trafford which is a bit closer because the Didsbury store is so much nicer.

The one shop I really really do avoid is my local Morrisons. Full of yummy mummys and the staff are beyond awful. Dumping things on the belt without paying and storming off has become something that I find happens too frequently in there.

>> Full of yummy
>> mummys and the staff are beyond awful.

To my mind the former would more than compensate for the latter!!
 Credit card - Roger.
Perhaps in the S.E. of England ALDI staff, like some of their customers, think it beneath their dignity to be seen there and this is reflected in both their attitudes?
 Credit card - Alanovich
Hardly. Reading is in the SE last time I looked (just).
 Credit card - Zero
It just that there are not enough of them, and they are overworked.
 Credit card - rtj70
As Zero says, the problem with ALDI is how they staff their shops. If it's quiet then it will be okay. But the same staff stock shelves, do checkouts, etc. And there might not be many in. So on the checkout they really need you to not pack much at the till because they haven't got the resources on the tills for that.

We do use our local ALDI for some things - some things are good value (their packets of cat food are liked by our cat at the moment and cheaper than many alternatives). Their champagne isn't bad either and is down to £9.99 a bottle at the moment.

Lidl seem to do some good wines at times. We don't shop there but we happened to spot they were getting Vernaccia di San Gimignano in last week. So got some of that. Only £6.99 a bottle and we had a £5 off voucher too if you spent over £30. And it's from a wine producer we stayed at in their accommodation in 2011 (Macinatico) so knew we'd like it. And it's a small world when you get a checkout member of staff who'd also been there!

deluxe.lidl-ni.co.uk/products/vernaccia-di-san-gimignano-macinatico-2012-12115.html
 Credit card - Ted

>> The one shop I really really do avoid is my local Morrisons.

Awful dump...I get the irrits as soon as I drive onto the car park...which isn't very often.

New Aldi on Lloyd St South near Platt Lane. On site of the old St Crispins Church...OK there.

Ted
 Credit card - Roger.
I'm hovering over spending a few bob at Ocado. :-O
They have a twenty quid off, for orders over eighty quid and they stock St. Peter's Brewery Ruby Ale.
41 bottles will cost a, net of discount £60.77, which is £1.48 +- a bit for a bottle.
A good price for a nice beer. Hmm Payday tomorrow - should I indulge?
Last edited by: Roger on Thu 5 Dec 13 at 23:06
 Credit card - Roger.
ASDA gives us both the shudders!
 Credit card - VxFan
>> Why don't replies to posts appear under to post to which one is replying? GRR.

If you hovver your mouse cursor over the up arrow at the start of the subject header, you'll see that it has.
Alternately, if you temp change to threaded view you'll see that it's tagged onto his post and no one elses.
I let my wife attend to the procurement of comestibles. It's one of her responsibilities.
 Credit card - No FM2R
I don't mind going to the supermarket and often offer to go.

My wife won't let me go because apparently I pay too much for stuff I shouldn't have bought anyway.

Its called "cunning".
 Credit card - No FM2R
As a complete aside, women here get dressed up to go to the supermarket. At the weekend they're all in their finery, make-up, dresses and high heels and everything.

Its very strange, but its probably another reason I'm not allowed to go.
It's also quite important to scorch something of hers with the iron and put something expensive on too hot a wash fairly early in the relationship too.

I've not had to concern myself with either activity these 20 years since...
 Credit card - bathtub tom
SWMBO was laid up in bed with a bad back so I thought I'd take the ironing up and chat to her while I did it.

Never had to do it since, she got someone in until she'd recovered.
 Credit card - henry k
>> It's also quite important to scorch something of hers with the iron and put something
>> expensive on too hot a wash fairly early in the relationship too.
>>
>> I've not had to concern myself with either activity these 20 years since...
>>
>>
Did the iron thing decades ago.

Washing ???

Cooking. Tried boiling eggs. No " person" instructed me to monitor the process.
After an explosion from the kitchen I reluctantly investigated, fire extinguisher in hand.
Yellow and white bits on the walls and the another lesser explosion.
Totalled :- two eggs, a "clever" plastic egg thing that let you know how well the eggs were done ( useless and melted/ glued to the saucepan ) and one saucepan.

I cannot seen to escape the "too heavy for me" upright carpet cleaner.

I just say I burn the water :-)
 Credit card - Ted

Another good ' domestic trick '

When she goes out, she invariably questions me as to what I've been doing on her return. Having been sat watching Jeremy Kyle with coffee and biscuits, I used to have to make up a quick excuse.

Now, being an experienced married man, I plug in the Hoover before relaxing and leave it somewhere where it's going to be in her way. Or I leave the Mr Sheen and duster somewhere obvious and inconvenient.

It's a lot less strenuous to make a small apology than to actually use the damn things.

Ted
 Credit card - Ted

As we now shop at a new mega big Tesco opened recently, I'd been meaning to get a Tesco credit card to use there. This thread finally nudged me out of my lethargy and I applied on line earlier this week.

Instant decision......£5500 limit....ding-dong.....ta very much.

I got the PIN today in the post...it was in a plain envelope, same as others in the past with the peel off panel and the number that I can't make out. SWM just about can ! But what's the point ? It'd be no less secure just writing the number on a scrap of paper and shoving it in an envelope. I mean, any felon intercepting the mail is still gonna be able to read the PIN...isn't he ?

Trying to fool the punter into thinking their security is second to none and they've gone to great efforts ?

Ted
 Credit card - mikeyb
Think its so you cant hold the envelope up to a light to read what's in it
 Credit card - Fursty Ferret
>> Think its so you cant hold the envelope up to a light to read what's
>> in it
>>

Nah, it's so it's immediately obvious if anyone's attempted to intercept and read it before you get it.
Latest Forum Posts